Forum › Cotton Candy Love discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That's odd, do you have to be married to receive IVF in Japan, or is it explicitly illegal for lesbians? As I understand it it's becoming common for single women to do it here in the states.

I assume it's connected to adoption not being allowed for same-sex couples. Homosexuality isn't good for the kids and all that.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

That's odd, do you have to be married to receive IVF in Japan, or is it explicitly illegal for lesbians? As I understand it it's becoming common for single women to do it here in the states.

I assume it's connected to adoption not being allowed for same-sex couples. Homosexuality isn't good for the kids and all that.

<rant>
bah, what a load of horse-s*&%! i wish countries and their politicians would start basing social rules on facts instead of opinions or fears. we've come a long way from believing we are the center of the universe.... ummm, wait. a lot of people that still believe that or at least act like it is true. ok, we've come a long way from believing in superstition.... umm, wait, some folks still believe that too. ok, ok. we've come a long way from trying to conquer our neighbors or force them into conforming to our belief-system... nevermind. ok, i give up. we've come a long way (advanced in amazing ways), but are somehow still stuck in the past. :-(
</rant>

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

She totally could have gotten vitro fertilization or simply have chosen Kiyoka over the want for kids. ... Do some research. Adopt a kid. Vitro fertilization. Whatever the case.

Uh no, no she couldn't have. As you suggested, do some research.

Sorry I was not particularly clear with what I was saying. She still could have easily been with Kiyoka. Roommates, for example. Again, existentialism. Her choice to not fight shows her love for Kiyoka was not particularly strong. She just chose her own selfish desire over Kiyoka, and that fact does not change.

I wasn't telling the readers here to do some research. I was saying that Rika could have done research to figure out how to make things work. If she can't adopt a kid, get a good lawyer and find a loophole. If she make it work in Japan, move somewhere else. There's always a way out, and our choices reflect us as individuals.

last edited at Dec 31, 2014 2:25PM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

<rant>
bah, what a load of horse-s*&%! i wish countries and their politicians would start basing social rules on facts instead of opinions or fears. we've come a long way from believing we are the center of the universe.... ummm, wait. a lot of people that still believe that or at least act like it is true. ok, we've come a long way from believing in superstition.... umm, wait, some folks still believe that too. ok, ok. we've come a long way from trying to conquer our neighbors or force them into conforming to our belief-system... nevermind. ok, i give up. we've come a long way (advanced in amazing ways), but are somehow still stuck in the past. :-(
</rant>

Extensively us as humans are stuck in a weird spiraling pattern. I'll spare the details, but basically we are becoming more and more aware and accepting as we go, but it takes time. And unfortunately radicals will never be appeased. Just look at the country areas in the Bible Belt...there's still many farmers with double barrels waving Confederate flags. That's not a stereotype. Trust me I live in one of those states (thankfully in the good area that's not at all like that, but I just have to drive 20 minutes out of the city).

So yeah, the concept of homosexuality being bad for kids among an infinite list of other things is bullshit. But most countries are starting to recognize and accept it. Thankfully. One step at a time.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Sorry I was not particularly clear with what I was saying. She still could have easily been with Kiyoka. Roommates, for example. Again, existentialism. Her choice to not fight shows her love for Kiyoka was not particularly strong. She just chose her own selfish desire over Kiyoka, and that fact does not change.

Thanks for the references to existentialism, which I greatly enjoyed. I would interpret her not fighting slightly differently, which doesn't mean that I think you've wrong. I think Rika not fighting for their love can be attributed to a lack of consciousness and insight into her own situation. Sartre would probably liken it to being too close to an object so that you can't focus, observe and understand it. For that matter, Rika (as well as Kiyoka) is a being-in-itself, incapable of choosing its own future, being for-themselves (being able to create distance between their being, as miserable as it might be right then and there, and themselves and becoming aware of what they want to be, thus being free to change) and for-others (which Sartre considers a state of not being free, but I'm inclined to say that this is where people find common ground and start building a future that is fulfilling for each of the persons involved).

I think there is a bit more of Heidegger's thrownness to how we live our lives than what Sartre postulated, although I like Sartre's take on existence a lot as it can be uplifting, is full of hope and soothing.

There's always a way out, and our choices reflect us as individuals.

This is the abyss into which you look if you take Sartre at face value (which I suppose neither of us does): If you failed to make responsible choices, it's your fault alone and there is no one else to blame. You actually become your mistake as it is going to make up your being until you make amends. Too bad that some mistakes we can never undo. Off the top of my head I can think of a few instances when I wronged people and wouldn't be able to ever face them again if I knew they still dwelled on it as well as a few things that I feel other people shouldn't have done but which I would never talk about with them nor let on that I hurt me or that it still remember or it's an issue because I wouldn't want them to have to deal with the feelings this would cause them to feel. Of course there are limits to that sort of being for-others.

I'm sorry, I feel this turned into more of a revision of Sartre and Heidegger for me than anything useful for you.

ps: I always have to grin when I see your avatar.

last edited at Jan 1, 2015 2:00PM

Cat10
joined Dec 30, 2014

Cotton Candy Love is great in many ways. Will read it again next year.

Mono_a_2kmc
joined Jul 1, 2014

So short, and so great!

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Oh man, such feels :/
Two issues in the same story, both with glints of hope at the end.
This was wonderful, I'd be down to read an entire series about those two, their friendship, and how they later advance in life, both chilling and supporting each other. Pastry Chef Lady seems like a great mentor

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Yeah...that idea of having kids being more important than being with the person that you apparently love didn't sit too well with me. Even if this wasn't yuri but a het relationship with the guy being infertile, that would still be a crappy thing to do. But this was a pretty good read nevertheless.

Bleach_589___giselle_gewelle_alux-d7quz%20(1)
joined Dec 2, 2014

I want a Sequel when Kiyoka meets Adult-Chiaki again who has become a beautiful young lady then :D

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

I need atleast 10 more chapters and a happy ending from this story.

Korne
joined May 18, 2018

Aaah so cute!!

Ihopethetriangleskillme
joined Aug 27, 2021

GODDAMN THIS HURT ME.

joined Dec 30, 2018

Awww so cute TT

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Very cute!

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

There are some real hidden gems in the older trans works on this site.

Yuri
joined Aug 16, 2016

I've always loved this one, and recommend the rest of Tendou Kirin's works as well! The meaning of growing up as a girl in both the context of being attracted to women/being trans was conveyed just beautifully.

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

I've always loved this one, and recommend the rest of Tendou Kirin's works as well! The meaning of growing up as a girl in both the context of being attracted to women/being trans was conveyed just beautifully.

I had difficulty mapping out that parallel after reading the manga, so thanks for articulating it so clearly!

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

this oneshot is super cute! I wanted more, and then I saw the publication date on Dynasty.... More than 10 years ago, ouch ;w;

well, at least it's quite nice that this story came out so long ago!

joined Feb 10, 2022

Well lesbians in Japan can't adopt nor have access to ivf. But man, prioritizing your dream over the person she "loves"... The positive from this is that Kiyoka was clear that no matter how painful is, she will eventually find the correct person

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

The manga : a little angsty but wholesome and cute overall
The comments : anyway her lover was a h0e that wanted d1ck cuz ivf and adoption exist

LOL. Anyway, this was a nice oneshot, and choosing motherhood (I personally wouldn't subject myself to that kind of hell) over love isn't exactly that evil in a country like japan where being a couple of a same-sex couple or any type of LGBTQ will cut all your rights in half. Btw ivf is hella expensive, let that sink in.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Choosing parenthood over a current childfree relationship happens in hetero relationships too. It's a big problem in the childfree community and it's a good reason why discussing your plans and expectations for the future at the beginning of a relationship is super important.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

why'd she crush that perfectly good cake tho :,)

C57e189a-cb0f-4ff4-aab4-f866ca57737a
joined Nov 19, 2022

The baker is actually trans too

To reply you must either login or sign up.