Forum › Can't Defy the Lonely Girl discussion

joined Mar 26, 2021

Well i did ship Wakana and Yuina since they both appeare in manga. But im not sure if we see them dating at the end it would be nice though.
And Ayaka probably is going to become kindergarten teacher

joined Apr 28, 2019

anyways gIMEE Wakana and Yuina!!! need that shit rn!!

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I'm gonna go against the grain and say I really didn't like this development, and I really like everything else about this series.

It just feels really... off? when it sounds like the literal only reason Sara and Wakana aren't together is because it's inconvenient because of an existing relationship now - they evidently still both love each other and haven't outgrown those feelings, and Sara literally asking to hold Wakana close, implying it in a lover's sense but following it with Wakana's "this is it and we can never do this again" just drives that feeling in further.

If anything, it all just feels like kind of a forced arc to have an excuse for Yuina and Wakana to get together but I'd rather they have just... gotten together without all this needless angst then. Hell, even if they wanted to do this, I'd rather Sara just literally be straight even because it would feel more natural than this development.

last edited at Aug 26, 2021 4:31AM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

I'm gonna go against the grain and say I really didn't like this development, and I really like everything else about this series.

It just feels really... off? when it sounds like the literal only reason Sara and Wakana aren't together is because it's inconvenient because of an existing relationship now - they evidently still both love each other and haven't outgrown those feelings, and Sara literally asking to hold Wakana close, implying it in a lover's sense but following it with Wakana's "this is it and we can never do this again" just drives that feeling in further.

If anything, it all just feels like kind of a forced arc to have an excuse for Yuina and Wakana to get together but I'd rather they have just... gotten together without all this needless angst then. Hell, even if they wanted to do this, I'd rather Sara just literally be straight even because it would feel more natural than this development.

To me, that last hug felt a lot like a goodbye to their old feelings. A proper closure of an old chapter in good terms. So this development is not at all unreasonable.

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

To me, that last hug felt a lot like a goodbye to their old feelings. A proper closure of an old chapter in good terms. So this development is not at all unreasonable.

Yes, that's exactly what it is, and that's my problem with it? They still hold those feelings, so the only reason they're saying goodbye is solely because of circumstance. That doesn't really contradict anything I said above.

It'd be one thing if they already moved on at some point before this naturally, but they obviously did not.

last edited at Aug 26, 2021 4:58AM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

I know the whole "confessing your love after the chance has passed and they're already dating someone else" trope is popular and makes for some heartwarming moments in fiction and all that, but I don't get it.
Like, try doing that to someone in real life and chances are pretty high they'll either recoil or the situation will just immediately turn awkward as heck. I told my best friend (at the time) that I used to have a crush on her when we first met, and her reaction was like, "oh god, yikes, thank goodness you stopped feeling that way," and then it set in motion the end of our friendship a couple months later.

Right? I was like wtf am I reading. Would people normally react this way? Sometimes it's better to keep things to oneself rather than let it out in the hopes that they feel better lol. "I used to have a crush on you...I used to get off from imagining you and me together...but let's still remain the best of friends ok? Ehe ehe." It's just inappropriate at that point.

Uuuuh depends on what you consider a "normal" reaction, i once got to see such scene btw my best bud and one of his friends (a girl) i was peeking, im not proud of it but meh and it was very pacific, the next day both of them were talking like always, guess it depends on the person, if i were to recieve such confession i would be surprised sure but reaching to the point of saying "yikes" i must say that girl was not a good friend

Hear hear. I agree that there's no standard "normal" reaction for this situation. Hear Sara was obvious a bit in love with Wakana, so even though it has passed, she still adore Wakana, though just as a friend now. Honestly I find the confession pretty well-handled.

Truthfully, I also confessed to my best friend about how I used to like her when we first befriended, and she was also dating a boy at that time (yes, I'm a walking cliché). My bff just like "oh what did you like about me?" and then I proceed to roast her, as a good friend should. We're still best friend 'till now, and nothing awkward happened because of that.

I've also had a bit of experience with confessing to my bff. After making myself really obvious, I told her that I was in love with her and proceeded to tell her honestly that, even though I liked her, I had 0 intentions to woo her nor date her. I'm a person who values friendship over almost anything so she knows that the only reason I told her was just to get it out of my chest.
We're still friends almost a decade later.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Probably ending soon but it has been good.

I don't think it feels quite that way. There are still plans in motion and it kinda looks like Kashikaze wants to explore "a couple doing couple things" rather than wrap up after the confession, which I very much appreciate. Sure, Wakana's arc has been moved along quite quickly now, but I don't feel her story's done at this point yet.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Yes, that's exactly what it is, and that's my problem with it? They still hold those feelings, so the only reason they're saying goodbye is solely because of circumstance. That doesn't really contradict anything I said above.

It'd be one thing if they already moved on at some point before this naturally, but they obviously did not.

I feel you, the whole situation was just ... strange. Like, she cut off the confession to say she had a boyfriend, but then she accepted it and said "me too". Like ... what? Along with the "it's about time you said it". Like, why did Wakana have to be the one who said it?

Overall, it left a super weird feeling to me, and yes, then made the rebound super forced.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

When she said 'I loved you too...! of course I also love the guy I'm dating now too. And I'm not going to break up with him... But... If you're OK with that', I thought she'd say 'You don't mind beein' my side piece right?'.

Lmao, that was what I was thinking.

I was actually expecting she suggest a poly relationship for half a second.
Don't know why I expected that, it's not something manga's tend to suggest.

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

you better make her happy,Yuina!!

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

I know the whole "confessing your love after the chance has passed and they're already dating someone else" trope is popular and makes for some heartwarming moments in fiction and all that, but I don't get it.
Like, try doing that to someone in real life and chances are pretty high they'll either recoil or the situation will just immediately turn awkward as heck. I told my best friend (at the time) that I used to have a crush on her when we first met, and her reaction was like, "oh god, yikes, thank goodness you stopped feeling that way," and then it set in motion the end of our friendship a couple months later.

well,that girl's just rude

i'm a girl too,and i'll never say that to someone that used to love me

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I really liked that the story had the guts to show this kind of thing. It really do be like that sometimes, as they say.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Well, I think it would've been shitty if she had just given up on her current bf or handwaved it with "oh I never actually loved him anyway." like some stories do. Yeah, she probably has some feelings still, but truth of the matter is that Wakana was just too late--she's already committed now (in an assumedly happy, mutually requited relationship). Girl's just bi yknow?
(And yea, she could've been the one to take initiative back then--but that's not more her fault than it is Wakana.)

Also, I don't remember if there's been signs of her having feelings for Wakana; I might just have to reread it. But I kinda hope that Yuina was just messing around. It just feels kinda... cheap? when the story goes "oh, your best friend was the one destined for you all along!"
'Cause then, as others have mentioned, I don't see the point in this whole extra arc for anything else than some extra drama. Just let the girl find someone else? There's plenty of fish out in the sea.

A833b0da-ef0f-4898-8593-d053f3beae0c
joined Feb 25, 2017

Yuina and Wakana, I could CRY! It feels kind of forced and rushed given the current situation but I could see it working in the end.

joined Aug 29, 2019

well,that girl's just rude

i'm a girl too,and i'll never say that to someone that used to love me

Like in that one meme...
"Worst she can do is say no!"
"Hey, I like you."
"Eww..."

last edited at Aug 26, 2021 8:41AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

The ship is ready to sail.

Scool%20zone
joined Jul 5, 2020

Ha, looks like I'm not the only one who thought that Sara was about to suggest dating both her boyfriend and Wakana at the same time.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Ha, looks like I'm not the only one who thought that Sara was about to suggest dating both her boyfriend and Wakana at the same time.

Honestly, that's a curveball I would've loved to see, as long as it's all consensual and mutual of course. Always want more polyam rep~

joined Aug 29, 2019

Honestly, that's a curveball I would've loved to see, as long as it's all consensual and mutual of course. Always want more polyam rep~

Would be a cool twist if pulled off somewhat correctly. BF hasn't made is appearance, though, so maybe, or maybe not.

I totally could see this going the "let's expand on our secondary cast and give them love-lives while our main cast explore theirs" route that, from what I know, Horimiya also ended up going.

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

Just read this from the start, I don’t know why I burst laughing of their home room teacher hiding on the bushes, spying Ayaka.

joined Apr 8, 2021

This is the manga I look forward to most, but I hate this freakin' chapter. If you love her so much why does she have to be the one to confess or else you just go date someone else??? Stupid dumb idiots.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

@chapter 20
Where does Ms. Friend get off calling Wakana a dummy and saying "took you long enough," when she didn't say anything either? What is the basis of this double standard?

joined Jan 3, 2020

This is the manga I look forward to most, but I hate this freakin' chapter. If you love her so much why does she have to be the one to confess or else you just go date someone else??? Stupid dumb idiots.

They were both timid about it, and then one of them was confessed to by somebody who wasn't, apparently.

This is often what happens if two passive romantics feel something for each other in reality too.

joined Apr 7, 2016

While it did seem a bit strange at first, I thought the Wakana-Sara thing actually reached a pretty nice conclusion after re-reading it. My take on it is that the two of them needed closure above anything else.

Sara had feelings for Wakana, but she moved on and found someone else, which is something that many people do. I would argue it's healthier because it shows that Sara isn't going to just wait around and dwell on the "what if's." You can't really grow as a person if you do that. As for Wakana, she needed to get her true feelings off her chest, even though she knows it won't automatically make her and Sara a couple. But to just say it out loud to the person you like is also the healthier thing to do than just bottle it up and--once again--dwell on the "what if's."

And I thought the hug was more of a way for them to put a nice little bow on top of this particular chapter in their lives. It's meant to show that they have no hard feelings, they said everything that needed to be said, and want to let each other know that they still care for one another as a friend.

As Sarah Paulson once said in the movie Carol, "And then it changed. No one's fault." "It" being "feelings," and it's true: it's no one's fault that feelings change because that's what they naturally do. Wakana and Sara don't feel anything romantic anymore; it's close friendship now. And I think this kind of experience would make them even closer as friends because they were completely honest with each other.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

So, even having a boy, that she say she love and proper reject her friend, still flirt with her.
Mmh, is like those time when flirt with a girl doesn`t count
But at last the main duo out of the closet they relationship

To reply you must either login or sign up.