Forum › Liberty discussion

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

God dammit I fucking hate this series!

It's so frustratingly incompetent and stupid

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

She's going to tell Liz that it was fun going whoopee with her, but in the end her man and her career are more important so... goodbye, and have a nice life. And Liz will have to deal with the consequences of her bad choices. Ideally she'd go back to Maki crawling on her belly and begging for another chance (to which Maki would have to ponder whether to say yes or no) but... I think it's most likely that she'll return to Maki in a fit of anger and tears, bitching and whining and demanding to be comforted, and Maki will hug her, pat her on the head and say: "There, there, poor Liz, poor baby, you've suffered a lot."

^This. You heard it here first, people: the exciting next development in the story of Liz and Maki.

joined Mar 8, 2020

One of the worst parts of this, beside being an absolute shitshow, is how long it take between updates, wished this was at least monthly so it could end everyone suffering faster, but well is Galette so each 3 months it is, there is nothing that can redeem this serie anymore and each chapter just keep getting dumber lol

last edited at Aug 15, 2021 8:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

She's going to tell Liz that it was fun going whoopee with her, but in the end her man and her career are more important so... goodbye, and have a nice life. And Liz will have to deal with the consequences of her bad choices. Ideally she'd go back to Maki crawling on her belly and begging for another chance (to which Maki would have to ponder whether to say yes or no) but... I think it's most likely that she'll return to Maki in a fit of anger and tears, bitching and whining and demanding to be comforted, and Maki will hug her, pat her on the head and say: "There, there, poor Liz, poor baby, you've suffered a lot."

^This. You heard it here first, people: the exciting next development in the story of Liz and Maki.

Then can we have the part where there's an earthquake and they're buried under an avalanche? Please?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Then can we have the part where there's an earthquake and they're buried under an avalanche? Please?

Make sure it's all three of them just to be safe

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Every time I read this, it just feels like the author is trying to cram multi-volume light novel into a short manga.

Of course it turns into absurd and edgy weirdness, because you have to compress so much. Characters barely have time to live and breathe and build context, before the next mood whiplash starts.

joined Feb 18, 2015

That would be HER family in England...

Scool%20zone
joined Jul 5, 2020

Odd, I feel like the series already established that Liz's ex married for money earlier in the story. But then again, the updates are s spaced that maybe my mind just fabricated those memories.

Not to play the devils advocate here, but I do think the concept of the story is interesting and could work if characters of Liz and Maki were flashed out better. As things are Liz comes off as as an a-hole who does one shitty thing after another and expects to be understood and forgiven for it and Maki comes off as a passive naive idiot.

I'm still curiosu to see where this trainwreck is heading thou and might as well enjoy the art while at it.

last edited at Aug 16, 2021 5:33AM

joined Aug 1, 2021

What have Maki done to deserve this? Maki got cheated on TWICE. Please end her suffering with meeting someone new, someone who will love her and not twisted

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

What have Maki done to deserve this?

Well, for once, she's way too passive. That doesn't mean she deserves this, but it does explain why she keeps getting shat on.

You can't expect nice things to happen to you by default. You've gotta be assertive and take charge. That's the only way.

But don't get me wrong, Liz is an asshole, and I'm hoping Maki will just forget about her and move on.

last edited at Aug 16, 2021 9:21AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, for once, she's way too passive. That doesn't mean she deserves this, but it does explain why she keeps getting shat on.

The whole series went south when Liz slapped Maki in the face for giving her a birthday present, and Maki proceeded to apologize.

Granted, an interesting series could have been written around such twisted and perverse characters. But this has not been that series.

joined Dec 13, 2020

I think it's most likely that she'll return to Maki in a fit of anger and tears, bitching and whining and demanding to be comforted, and Maki will hug her, pat her on the head and say: "There, there, poor Liz, poor baby, you've suffered a lot."

I beg to differ.
As you may or may not remember, Liz has never revealed to Maki her tragic past. Certainly the author wanted to save that for a special time.

Because that was the one time when bad things happened and Liz can absolutely not be blamed for anything. Senpai romanced her, won her heart, used her, and betrayed her. Liz is 100% the victim and senpai 100% at fault.

Liz will return to Maki, yes, of course; but not to bitch at her. She'll tell her that senpai is the real bad guy here, who hurt Liz in the past and hurt both Liz and Maki now. Maki will be mindblown by the revelation, the secret past of Liz and senpai's villainy, and their reconciliation will naturally follow. I'm so sure of this I'm taking any bet.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Because that was the one time when bad things happened and Liz can absolutely not be blamed for anything.

Yes indeed, and that foundational trauma which has scarred Liz for life and turned her into the emotional cripple and serial abuser that she is today was: being dumped by the standard "Lesbian Until Graduation Senpai" featured in countless yuri manga, where a similar psychic wound is often healed by all the kouhai going out for ice-cream sundaes and commiserating with the dumpee.

But Liz, as we know, is a particularly sensitive sort.

11143587_983945991615710_6019435042284427906_n
joined Jan 29, 2015

fck this im out

joined Aug 1, 2021

You can't expect nice things to happen to you by default. You've gotta be assertive and take charge. That's the only way.

But don't get me wrong, Liz is an asshole, and I'm hoping Maki will just forget about her and move on.

I have some kind of similar experience as Maki, it feel too personal. Being assertive will do nothing if your partner is an ass. Liz is young adult, not teenager.
That’s why i feel needless anger toward Liz here, and if the author insist on LizXMaki ship to work then i am hoping for something that can really blow my mind as to why this ship should work. Otherwise this is just a shitshow.

last edited at Aug 16, 2021 3:38PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I have some kind of similar experience as Maki, it feel too personal. Being assertive will do nothing if your partner is an ass. Liz is young adult, not teenager.

Yea, no matter how assertive you are, relationships never work out in the long term unless both sides put honest effort into them. And Liz clearly cannot be bothered.
This story is a trainwreck in progress, which may be why I am still reading it -- cannot look away from the impending crash.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Like I really don't like to post negatively and certainly am not trying to dunk on the author, but... the more I think about it the more I'm just kinda appalled, in a bad way.

Let's take a step back on all this: first liz is a teenager AND an idol, she is completely in a different world and has totally illogical and selfish reactions.

[SNIP]

What you've described, very reasonably, is a rise-and-fall redemption arc. That may be what the author is going for, and is attempting to execute.

But one key to the artistic/narrative success of such an arc is that the audience needs to be invested enough in the character despite their flaws and missteps to want to see that redemption happen. (With the same artist here also as writer, the series Kimi Koi Limit is full of very imperfect characters, but that story basically works in the terms it establishes.)

If, on the other hand, the audience would prefer to see your tragic character hit by bus rather than redeemed, your story has gone badly astray along the way

This is, basically, the problem I've had from the start. Liz is not only unlikeable, she doesn't even feel like she's putting in that much effort to be redeemable. And Maki herself is so woefully passive that rather than cheering for her happiness, I'm instead screaming internally at the pages for her to do... something.

Maki almost did something, only for Liz herself to intervene, and instead of going after the girl that literally just came out of her shell in front of her for a brief moment, says "nah," and in the next scene is going on like that didn't happen, and then gets rewarded for it (oh I can have this relationship in public?).

And that's after all the crap she already put Maki through... are we supposed to cheer for them?

Maki, meanwhile, just feels like a complete doormat at this point. Passive is one thing but... wow. She's cheated on you twice, and that's after she physically assaulted you before for giving her a gift, wtf.

And to that point:

The whole series went south when Liz slapped Maki in the face for giving her a birthday present, and Maki proceeded to apologize.

Granted, an interesting series could have been written around such twisted and perverse characters. But this has not been that series.

I won't be surprised if when they inevitably do reconcile (because clearly they will), Liz slaps her again and berates her for "letting her cheat" or something equally silly. To which.... Maki apologizes.

joined Apr 5, 2021

This is a slow burning dumpster fire and I can’t look away.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Aw yes, my semestrial dose of absolute anger, i needed this.

this

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Yes indeed, and that foundational trauma which has scarred Liz for life and turned her into the emotional cripple and serial abuser that she is today was: being dumped by the standard "Lesbian Until Graduation Senpai" featured in countless yuri manga, where a similar psychic wound is often healed by all the kouhai going out for ice-cream sundaes and commiserating with the dumpee.

Heh. To be fair, in a realistic school setting, Liz is likely to be the only lesbian in her year... and the girls in her class typical boy-crazy teens who, rather than sympathize with her, will tell Liz that sempai is right: it's time for Liz to graduate from childish sapphism and find herself a cool boyfriend.

And that's if they don't scream and run as soon as they hear the story.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Heh. To be fair, in a realistic school setting, Liz [.]

I’m going to stop you right there.

Because this Liz can only exist, not in a “realistic . . . setting,” but in a Cloud-Cuckoo-Land of Randomly Arranged Floating Manga Tropes (Some of Them Yuri), where the explanation for a character’s permanent psychic damage to the extent of becoming a narcissistic sociopathic cheating abuser requires an originary trauma more profound than getting dumped by Lesbian Until Graduation Senpai.

If we start applying real-world standards to understand the characters and actions in this series, the whole thing comes crashing down like a House of Usher constructed out of drywall made of compressed rat fur and cow dung.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Heh. To be fair, in a realistic school setting, Liz [.]

I’m going to stop you right there.

Because this Liz can only exist, not in a “realistic . . . setting,” but in a Cloud-Cuckoo-Land of Randomly Arranged Floating Manga Tropes (Some of Them Yuri), where the explanation for a character’s permanent psychic damage to the extent of becoming a narcissistic sociopathic cheating abuser requires an originary trauma more profound than getting dumped by Lesbian Until Graduation Senpai.

If we start applying real-world standards to understand the characters and actions in this series, the whole thing comes crashing down like a House of Usher constructed out of drywall made of compressed rat fur and cow dung.

Yeah, I mean the same exact thing happened to Sayaka in Bloom and she still came out pretty well adjusted despite that and never tried to do anything like this

last edited at Aug 19, 2021 5:58AM

joined Dec 21, 2016

That scene was hilarious tho

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That scene was hilarious tho

It absolutely was, and if the rest of the series was leading up to things like that and consistently developing that tone . . .it would be a very different series.

But when that Krazy S&M Kowboy is also supposed to be the angsty tortured soul whose music is going to save the world and usher in the Age of Aquarius or some such shit, and the horsie she’s riding is supposed to be the tender soul who will eventually heal the Kowboy’s wounds, etc., well, we end up with what we have.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

why must I make myself suffer by reading these kinds of yuri manga

To reply you must either login or sign up.