Forum › The Ends of a Dream discussion

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Holy shit I am so so ready for this to absolutely emotionally destroy me.

I hope that the way this story goes is the granddaughter slowly goes through grandma’s books and discovers whatever history Itou and Mitsu have together, and her thoughts and perspectives mixed in with the main narrative of Itou retelling her story. What would be even cooler is if granddaughter’s “friend” she was moving in with was a girlfriend and snippets of their lives together in modern Japan raising children were juxtaposed against grandma’s story. (And it would be nice to have some lighter happy domestic interludes).

I just can’t get enough of queer historical dramas, and stories focusing on older queer people. It’s so refreshing to have a protagonist who isn’t a moe high schooler or a 25 year old office worker.

I’m so excited for the potential of this series.

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 2:01AM

Untitled-1
joined Feb 6, 2017

Thank goodness that's only chapter 1. I wasn't really paying attention when I clicked this and thought it was a one shot with a really dramatic ending.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

I'm already afraid of my own inevitable demise, I don't need this. In fact, I think we should have a tag for stuff like this on the site. As someone who is absolutely terrified of the finality of my own death, and by extension, growing old, I would rather not read stuff like this if I can avoid it.

What, like an "old people" tag? Natural death tag?

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Well we know this doesn’t end well but seems gripping regardless

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Isn’t there something about sending a pinky finger to someone in Japanese culture? I can’t remember the meaning, but if I remember correctly a bunch of people sent them to the emperor of the time after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, begging for them to surrender to avoid more tragedies.

joined Mar 11, 2019

That's showbiz baby!

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

This seems like something that'll be well-written, emotional, artsy, and unique, but also... we're being told right from the start that the couple doesn't get together in the end, one gets married to a man, and the other one dies. That's like, a whole pile of "not a lesbian romance story I'm interested in reading" red flags all at the same time.
Well, hopefully it turns out good regardless, I suppose

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This looks like a cut above.

joined Aug 21, 2017

"I lived a good, long life. Why can't I remember any of it?"
This looks like it's going to be a wild ride.

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

A SUDOU YUMI SERIES??? WOOOO-

Aaand it’s depressing, oh boy. I might actually be a masochist, strapping in for this series right after reading the story of suffering™ Houseki no Kuni was.

Though I’m all for crushing drama and angst that will probably be present in Itou and Mitsu’s story, I hope the granddaughter and her kid will provide some levity and happiness to the story, kinda like Cornonthekopp’s envisioning. However, this is the same author who wrote Please so I don’t expect much in the way of that.

In any case, this is gonna be great.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Old gays that could never get together is always so heart breaking

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

That finger is probably one of those things where a girl gives her finger to the person she loves but can't be with. I think there was another one shot with that premise on here.

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Whoa okay, that ending was...different

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

Only sadness await us in here ? I will until the scanlation it's complete to read it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

HOLY FUCK

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

that ending was wild

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

This is interesting, I love old stories of yuri and secrets behind grandma’s past. It somehow resembles to the movie, “Snapshots”. How sad it is for lesbians back then, hiding and never gets happiness with the one they truly love.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Too real

Much too real, i cant read this right now

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 4:59AM

joined Sep 6, 2020

I'm not crying, you are crying.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Oh shit! The gal who wrote please got put in charge of a whole story????

Haha oh man! I'm going to be in for some pain

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Wtf I'm crying and I just realized this isnt a one shot. Wth is this gonna be

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Oh shit this is Yume no Hashibashi!! Have been waiting for someone to scanlate this since I read its review by Okazu's Erica Friedman. The series will have 2 volumes (edit: not chapters) I think, and if you want to know what's ahead (spoilers!!) check out Erica's review.

Also, I have read almost every scanlated work by Sudou Yumi, including her non-yuri Josei (Midnight Blue) and Seinen (Miyako's Night Tales). She is incredibly talented in evoking deep, dark, and angsty emotions and feelings with her stories, and there's always some sort of surreal Murakami-ish atmosphere to them. I hope to see more of her work in the future.

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 6:26AM

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

ouch….

Reimari2%20-%20crop
joined Sep 7, 2016

CompHet?
flips few pages
CompHet.

cyberninjasio
joined Jan 5, 2020

I'm already afraid of my own inevitable demise, I don't need this. In fact, I think we should have a tag for stuff like this on the site. As someone who is absolutely terrified of the finality of my own death, and by extension, growing old, I would rather not read stuff like this if I can avoid it.

What, like an "old people" tag? Natural death tag?

For a start the Angst tag would probably be good. Perhaps a dementia tag? I’ve lived going through someone slowly declining with dementia. Really don’t need to go through it again in something I’m reading for entertainment. It wasn’t fun in RL and digging all that back up was a whole nother dose of not fun.

To reply you must either login or sign up.