Forum › The Ends of a Dream discussion

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Anyone interested in continuing the tag discussion would be best served to head over to the Help thread and continue there. Much easier for me to keep track of.

What tag are you looking for? Just one to represent old age?

We could certainly use an old age tag, but that wouldn't necessarily cover what I'm describing. A death/dying tag might be helpful, but I could also think of plenty of situations where it would be a spoiler. A way to hide spoiler tags would be interesting, but then comes the discussion of what constitutes as a "spoiler". I certainly think this is worth considering, especially having been spoiled by tags before. That's a different discussion though.

If nothing else, this manga should probably have depressing as fuck, given what I've seen in the first chapter and the comments.

Yeah, the spoiler part is tough. I'd love to have spoiler tag functionality, but it's not in our pipeline, so we'll work with what we have. While I don't think a Dying tag has much applicability in non-spoiler situations, I'll think on what might work better. This kind of leads me toward my preference for a general Trigger Warning tag that just includes all spoiler elements (including positive tags, many of which aren't tagged for spoiler reasons).

Any tag changes to this story will have to wait, but we'll have something done with them soon, sorry for the trouble.

Contributing to the tag discussion, how about an author tag?...Maybe something like "Sudou Yumi, beware!"?

We're certainly up for those. I'll have to think about that tag in particular, and how it relates to her other work. Thanks.

I don't have very much knowledge on web design, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by pipeline. Does it have to do with database stuff? If a system for differentiating spoiler tags isn't possible, then I can understand, but it is a real shame. The ability to check the individual tags would be ideal, rather than having them under Trigger Warning, which, and excuse me if I'm misinterpreting, seems far too vague to be anything but confusing.

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 12:03AM

joined May 29, 2019

I bet it's not her finger

Aaaaaaaaa
joined May 2, 2012

I smell pain, angst and heartbreak. And I'm here for it.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I don't have very much knowledge on web design, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by pipeline. Does it have to do with database stuff? If a system for differentiating spoiler tags isn't possible, then I can understand, but it is a real shame. The ability to check the individual tags would be ideal, rather than having them under Trigger Warning, which, and excuse me if I'm misinterpreting, seems far too vague to be anything but confusing.

Yes, implementing a proper spoiler tagging system would cause a lot of issues as the site is currently designed. Doing it would take gargantuan effort and demand restricting other parts alongside it. Never say never, but it's not a priority just due to the work involved.

And yes, I got a bit ahead of myself in my thought process. The idea behind the tag would be to let readers know there's intentionally untagged material in the story, and then the first post of a given thread would expand on what that tag is (with proper spoiler tagging in said comment). Not ideal by any means, but much more comprehensive than what we've got right now.

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

too late for them sigh

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

It's been quite some time that I've been thinking I'd like to read a depressing story, where the couple never gets together or wastes decates before getting together due to societal norms and/or unfortunate circumstances. So I'd been looking for stories with maybe an older setting, secretly hoping that they would have a tragic ending, but being unable to ask for such stories specifically, because I didn't want the ending to be spoiled. And, well, almost every story I came across actually had a happy ending (which I didn't mind of course, I just had this lingering desire to read a depressing story).

And here comes this, promising me exactly what I wished for from the very first chapter... And I can't. Handle it!

I'm kind of excited at the same time, though. I really hope this will crush my heart exactly as I wanted and deserve. I thoroughly enjoyed the other works of the author on the site; they have a sort of mysterious and unsettling atmosphere that I don't come across often in yuri.

Gfkenr4j2k-2
joined Aug 7, 2019

So, what exactly is going on here? Is the story being told in reverse-chronological order or are we just going to have flashbacks intermittently?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Perhaps it's worth mentioning. Along with the asset bubble crash in 91-92, the rest of the SE Asian economy would collapse with it in 97-98. All the best indicators of societal contentment in Japan would fall during their own crash, and fall again in 97-98 due to fallout effects, putting a point on "The Lost Decade." It would take 26 years for Japan's (nationwide average) annual land prices to rise again. While growing economies would go on to recover almost immediately, Japan's economic model has never truly returned to its relative performance in the 80's.

In short, even if MC had reached out, there's plenty of reason for pessimism over whether their relationship could've survived all of that hardship. Pretty brutal manga.

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

Fuck this is so so so good but also so so so real, every page is like a punch in the face. Glad I'm able to read it.

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

This is like a throwback to the tragic yuri stories of the 80s.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

So it looks like it’s gonna go in reverse chronological order huh. I do hope we still get some modern interludes so that we can see other people uncover their story over time and properly honor the two of them.

joined Sep 6, 2018

This is like “Memento” movie in manga form. This is turning out well and good.

joined May 15, 2021

I must say im not a fan of reverse chronological history.... But whatever i want to suffer some more

last edited at Jul 31, 2021 11:32PM

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

It’s truly depressing as fuck, the first chapter showed that Micchan died after a day of their last meeting, at the last moment they didn’t ended up together. This time, another flashback, she’s getting a divorce but also can’t confess her true feelings even at their age? I mean, if I’m in same situation I’d be telling my true feelings to the woman I loved for a long time, and I get a good mood to ask her if we can have a second chance to be together. She had fulfilled her duties as a housewife and easing her husband’s being dull for years, the only part that keeps her is their daughter but she’s an adult then and also a mom.

joined Jul 23, 2021

I saw the depressing as fuck tag here.... Should I read it?....... I don't want to mess with my own emotions but I'm kind of interested with the story...

joined Mar 26, 2021

It's not depressing so far but it has those vibes that it can be later. Still don't know what to think about it ut I feel like it can be a good one manga

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Every page hurts knowing the end of chapter 1, so the depressing as fuck tag is definitely deserved here. I don’t know if I can handle the story going all the way back to their youth.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Perhaps it's worth mentioning. Along with the asset bubble crash in 91-92, the rest of the SE Asian economy would collapse with it in 97-98. All the best indicators of societal contentment in Japan would fall during their own crash, and fall again in 97-98 due to fallout effects, putting a point on "The Lost Decade." It would take 26 years for Japan's (nationwide average) annual land prices to rise again. While growing economies would go on to recover almost immediately, Japan's economic model has never truly returned to its relative performance in the 80's.

In short, even if MC had reached out, there's plenty of reason for pessimism over whether their relationship could've survived all of that hardship. Pretty brutal manga.

Interesting, thank you for the information.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It's like a "will they, or won't they". Only it's being run backwards, so you know they won't. It's hard to read because you know that it has a depressing outcome. However it's almost better this way. I would be really heartbroken to get through the whole story, rooting for them, to get together, only to have my hope brutally dashed at the end.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Mitsu and Kiyoko in earlier years:
Ozu was on this years ago

Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

ouch this hurts me

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Opens bottle of vodka

I guess I'm in for the duration.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Mitsu and Kiyoko in earlier years:
Ozu was on this years ago

Lmao! Speaking of which I want a doujin of the visit Kyoko promises to pay Noriko. It's such a blatant yuri crush.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I think part of what makes this manga so depressing is just how realistic the scenario is. Being gay in the Showa era (until 1989) was just incredibly hard. It was still hard after that as well, but things started to slowly get better. Big props to the author to portray that time period, it is difficult and sometimes painful, but I also think it is something that has hardly ever been touched on before, so it's really valuable to have a manga like this.

10374935_1517148091919036_8454058064875083431_n
joined Apr 7, 2021

The introspective and premise of this manga so far is very very interesting and I can't stop screaming for more chapters...

To reply you must either login or sign up.