Forum › Posts by TotemsInTheNight

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Love seeing Sudou Yumi getting her (deserved) praise for this manga. I think this would join some of the classic works about lesbian relationships in an intolerant society like Octave and Moonlight Flowers

If you want more of these angst and surreal feelings, check out her other works, including her non-yuri oneshot Midnight Blue and her other series Miyako's Night Tales.

TotemsInTheNight
Please discussion 06 Aug 13:58
joined Apr 9, 2021

Why does this work do not have the tag of "Depressing as fuck" and maybe "aaangst" and perhaps a new one "Removing the will to live after reading" ??

As previous comments have discussed, spoilers issue. A reader coming in seeing a "Depressing as fuck" tag might deduce why the girl woke up in the bathtub in the beginning, removing the shock factor of the story. "aaangst" might work though. It's a Sudou Yumi story anyway, these surreal, angsty, tragedy elements are common.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

I'm already afraid of my own inevitable demise, I don't need this. In fact, I think we should have a tag for stuff like this on the site. As someone who is absolutely terrified of the finality of my own death, and by extension, growing old, I would rather not read stuff like this if I can avoid it.

Contributing to the tag discussion, how about an author tag? Something to note that this author usually writes about heavy, dark, tragedy topics. Sudou Yumi's Please has comments about how the story is depressing af, but including a Depressing as Fuck tag would spoil the story. Having read her other works, I think one should come to read Sudou Yumi expecting surreal, unexpected, tragic elements, just like how one come to read Nagata Kabi expecting relatable, depressing subjects, or come to read Kodama Naoko expecting service-y scenes. Maybe something like "Sudou Yumi, beware!"?

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 3:20PM

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Oh shit this is Yume no Hashibashi!! Have been waiting for someone to scanlate this since I read its review by Okazu's Erica Friedman. The series will have 2 volumes (edit: not chapters) I think, and if you want to know what's ahead (spoilers!!) check out Erica's review.

Also, I have read almost every scanlated work by Sudou Yumi, including her non-yuri Josei (Midnight Blue) and Seinen (Miyako's Night Tales). She is incredibly talented in evoking deep, dark, and angsty emotions and feelings with her stories, and there's always some sort of surreal Murakami-ish atmosphere to them. I hope to see more of her work in the future.

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 6:26AM

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Wow didn't think Sayaka would confess that early into the series.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

not sure if its a yuri manga, the girl got in to a accident and then she got a head transplant.

I know what series you're talking about but I can't remember the name. I also think it might've only been on Mangadex? Can't remember if it was brought here or not.

as far as i know i've read it here lmao idk whats the namee. been looking for it for about 3 days and still havent found it.

OMG I actually know what you're talking about... I think I read it on Mangakakalot, and I think its name is only a number or something. I know I got there from a comment on Please by Sudou Yumi on Mangadex lol, but now that Mangadex is down... I don't know how I can get there again. I want to reread that too, although it's an extremely depressing read (obviously since it's a recommendation based on Please...)

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Any good recommendations for yuri involving angst? good stuff that would just. make me bawl my fukin eyes out (preferably something that isn’t about the love interest ending up with another)

Please by Sudou Yumi killed me. I know she has another work named Yume no Hashibashi that has not been translsted, but it's also really sad too.

thanks! i actually just reread Please when I made this post, and so i was in the mood to cry that time lol. But i'll be sure to check out more of her works too

Oh dang, so that means my recommendation is kinda useless lol. Honestly I haven't found any manga that made me tear up as much as Please, or the way Please makes me cry. Nagata Kabi's works and the Sayaka light novel make me cry quite a bit too, but they're more about being relatable than angst. If you can read manhwa and manhua, Her Tale of Shim Cheong, Getting to Know Grace, Living Will and Soulmates all have some angsty escapism themes that sometimes make me tear up.

Oh and also if you had read Moonlight Garden by MissPM and Kang Unnie, this fanfic actually makes me cry for like 2 days lol: https://archiveofourown.org/works/17409683 (spoiler alert!)

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Reread this for the 4th time, it keeps getting better!! It might actually beats Bloom Into You and Octave as my favorite introspective yuri manga ever... And for some weird reason I cannot put my hand on, after rereading this, I am actually content with how A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow depicts the relationship between its MCs (yes, the girlship). Cannot really understand why lol.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Any good recommendations for yuri involving angst? good stuff that would just. make me bawl my fukin eyes out (preferably something that isn’t about the love interest ending up with another)

Please by Sudou Yumi killed me. I know she has another work named Yume no Hashibashi that has not been translsted, but it's also really sad too.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

TotemsInTheNight posted:

How can you discuss loneliness without discussing the elephant in the room, love?

Since when loneliness is inherently connected to love?

I never said love is "inherently" connected, but it is a relevant issue that when discussed can make the story better. I am not saying the story is not good, I'm just saying it could have been so much more.

How in the hell do you think that they don’t love each other? I think it’s pretty explicitly clear that they do, It’s just not explicitly romantic. There’s nothing inherently more meaningful about romantic love compared to any other kind of love. I’m just gonna say it, the people saying it’s worse because it’s not yuri is just sad that they can’t project their own fantasies into the story and live vicariously through them. A lot of them are probably straight men as well who fetishize lesbian relationships.

Those are hurtful words to someone who's on mtf HRT. But anyway, I'm trying to reread without an assumption of romance between the two characters, and well the author's intention actually makes more sense. That also means the first couple of chapters are kinda too blushy-subtext. The story is widely advertised as LGBTQ+ (I was recommended from BIY) so I got the wrong assumptions from the start.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Was expecting something sad from Avalon ~ Bitter, since it's the anthology that has Please by Sudou Yumi (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/please). Did not expect this. :(

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

TotemsInTheNight posted:

How can you discuss loneliness without discussing the elephant in the room, love?

Since when loneliness is inherently connected to love?

I never said love is "inherently" connected, but it is a relevant issue that when discussed can make the story better. I am not saying the story is not good, I'm just saying it could have been so much more.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

I believe in Sayaka's supremacy.

TotemsInTheNight
Octave discussion 11 Apr 23:53
joined Apr 9, 2021

I always found Octave similar to Bloom Into You: while BIY is more about love, Octave is more about sexuality. As a person confused with their sexuality themselves, I can't help but empathize with Yukino's journey of discovering herself.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

I'm looking for any type of yuri medias where the characters are super introspective with their feelings of identity, love, and sexuality. Stuffs like Bloom Into You (I have read the Sayaka LNs, love them), Octave, Crescent Moon and Doughnut, Us Right Now, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. Each one of them has something that I love individually too:
- There's too much good stuffs to say about Bloom Into You, but every character has their own moment of introspection, which I love. I have read the Sayaka LNs too, and WOW I love it even more.

The obvious choice would be Adachi and Shimamura, written by the same author as the Sayaka LNs.

I read the manga... does the novel offer more introspection than the manga? Also, I kinda like Sayaka much more than either Adachi or Shimamura lol...

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

........................ I just felt that there's so much potential lost with this series. It could have been a classic like Bloom Into You; instead of about love, it would be a classic about loneliness and finding "special companionships" in life. It has better art and arguably a more relatable premise than Bloom Into You, yet while Bloom Into You dissects and questions the emotion of love, Tropical Fish just says everyone feels loneliness and we need companionship. What could've been a deep introspection about loneliness just turns into superficial dramas with misunderstandings. And the "subtext" thing is annoying too. How can you discuss loneliness without discussing the elephant in the room, love?

What could have been...

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

I'm looking for any type of yuri medias where the characters are super introspective with their feelings of identity, love, and sexuality. Stuffs like Bloom Into You (I have read the Sayaka LNs, love them), Octave, Crescent Moon and Doughnut, Us Right Now, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. Each one of them has something that I love individually too:
- There's too much good stuffs to say about Bloom Into You, but every character has their own moment of introspection, which I love. I have read the Sayaka LNs too, and WOW I love it even more.
- I know many people don't like Octave because of its slightly het content, but I cannot help but relates to Yukino's story of finding her own sexuality in the mist of comphet culture.
- Crescent Moon & Doughnut deals with adult characters, not school girls, which I appreciate. The insecurity of Hinako and her journey to love herself is something I really really relate to.
- Us Right Now is about a 7-year-long couple finding how to love again. Instant fav.
- My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is unique in its art and narrative, and I relate to its content too.

So please recommend me more stories like this!