Forum › Ah... and Mm... Are All She Says discussion

Princess_Anime
Illyasvielgay
joined Mar 6, 2021

Not what I expected from the title but this is really fascinating, great work!

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

I hope this doesn't end up with a subtext tag, they're kinda cute together ;^;

last edited at Jul 14, 2021 10:47PM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I'm not that great at subtext/implications. Can someone tell me what Toda couldn't put into words?

joined Aug 28, 2016

I'm not that great at subtext/implications. Can someone tell me what Toda couldn't put into words?

From the imagery, I got the sense that human sexuality is something that a lot of her formative memories are connected to, and she wants to be able to convey her feelings about it through her art.

last edited at Jul 14, 2021 11:02PM

bluelightning0
Tumblr_cfc4a0ee86ea3a26fe5601b206c5d8fb_b4599560_128
joined Aug 18, 2017

Damn. As an artist who actual draws a lot of this kind of stuff, this was absolutely fantastic to read. I mostly do it as a hobby, but I have had my fair share of commissions. The focus on the artists drawing what they want and being selfish with their art really stands out to me. I know all of my most popular works have been things I've been really passionate about, and the commissions I'm not as into are a real drag to do.
I like the stance the editors take in this, which is rather than encourage an artist to make something to fit their magazine's demographic, the wanted to help the artist reach a demographic that connects with their story.
Really this was such a fun read for me.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

Me, out loud IRL, every single time I do anything

Natsu%20koi
joined Apr 7, 2021

I would read the fuck out of Ashen Oil if it was real.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

this was actually a lot more interesting than I initially thought. Author clearly knows a lot about the industry and seems to have made a lot of references that flew over my normie head. Hope there's more where that came from.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Always fun to know more about the behind the scenes stuff! I haven't seen many series that explore the job of a manga editor this in depth so it was really interesting to me. The rivalry also ended up being pretty fun and the whole comiket arc was so wholesome. Looking forward to more!

joined Feb 1, 2021

I'm a little confused by the way Toba seems to refer to her work in progress as a "name" in Chapter 3. I don't know any Japanese, so is there some kind of idiom that's being lost in translation here?

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

I'm a little confused by the way Toba seems to refer to her work in progress as a "name" in Chapter 3. I don't know any Japanese, so is there some kind of idiom that's being lost in translation here?

'Name' is the rough draft of a manga. If the editor is OK with the name, then the artist can go ahead and draw a finished version based on it. Basically storyboards.

Jpeg_20180629_180702
joined May 19, 2018

This is really good

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

This manga is way better than I expected. The art is so good, not afraid to go off-model to up the expressiveness and personality of the characters rather than having a neat and "pretty artstyle.

joined Apr 6, 2013

I love these little industry insider stories, I will keep an eye on this one even if there ends up being no real yuri

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

'Name' is the rough draft of a manga. If the editor is OK with the name, then the artist can go ahead and draw a finished version based on it. Basically storyboards.

Also, "name" is the Japanese word, so think "nah'meh" rather than "neym".

It is actually pronounced neh-mu (ネーム). Apparently it's derived from the "specify" definiton of the English word "name" and is a term from the olden days when typesetting had to be done prior to the artwork being finished.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Ah. This isn't fair. I want to read Ashen Oil, but I really want to read Lucky Sis. Give me my anthropomorphized fortunetelling styles!

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Also, "name" is the Japanese word, so think "nah'meh" rather than "neym".

It is actually pronounced neh-mu (ネーム). Apparently it's derived from the "specify" definiton of the English word "name" and is a term from the olden days when typesetting had to be done prior to the artwork being finished.

I stand misinformed. But it gave me a chance to find this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEU-sHRIRs

So as not to derail discussion from the manga itself, I posted to the Café in case anyone wants to respond further.

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 9:52PM

Screenshot%202020-08-05%20at%209.30.03%20pm
joined Nov 21, 2019

Even if it doesn't look like there will be actual yuri, I still kind of like this series. I'm looking forward to more.

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

got baited by the title

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Wow I’m glad I checked this series out, I’m actually really into this! Idk if the series will end up having any romance between our two leads or not, but regardless I definitely wanna keep up with this one.

joined Mar 5, 2016

this is very thoughtful and has a special charm

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Even if it doesn't look like there will be actual yuri, I still kind of like this series. I'm looking forward to more.

Yeah and they seem like a cute ship at the very least.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Wow I’m glad I checked this series out, I’m actually really into this! Idk if the series will end up having any romance between our two leads or not, but regardless I definitely wanna keep up with this one.

There's sure... something there. Like I don't think the manga's focus is on romance, and if it ended without ever saying anything I wouldn't be surprised... But it's also like two women who show no interest in men, living together, and having regular conversations about what they like about female erotica.

Like... it might not be canon gay, but it's sure as hell not canon straight, either.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

This series seems much more grounded compared to many others on this site. I personally don't think there will be any romance but not because of anything complicated and more for boring practical reasons.

This series follows a female editor at a Japanese publication company, females in Japan typically avoid romance in the formative years of their career due to Japanese culture. Combine that with Tanaka being Toda's editor and thus being in a position of power can lead to an unbalanced power balance in a relationship.

Tanaka comes across as too professional to do something like that in a series as realistic & grounded as this.

joined Sep 6, 2018

A fun, behind the scenes look at manga industry. It won’t sell stateside, just like “Stretch”, but I’m sure a faithful following of fans/readers will look forward to its conclusion.

To reply you must either login or sign up.