Forum › About That Day Off From Work. discussion

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I really hate how people feel the need to argue that a character is not really bi and is actually a "pure" lesbian. As if there is something wrong or dirty about someone being bi.

Isn’t this the opposite case though? Miki has 100% dated men before, and likely had sex with them as well, but what people are saying is that because she was actually in love with Kana the entire time there’s no real evidence for her being bisexual. She specifically states “I tried my best to make it work with other people but...” which implies that the main reason she chose to date them was in order to force herself to get over Kana. That smacks of classic compulsory heterosexuality to me, just like above comments have also mentioned. Some people only realize they are lesbians later in life, and some of those people have already married men and had kids when they realize. That’s the vibe I got from this.

As far as sexuality goes all we know is that Miki loved and loves Kana. Maybe we should just take a page from Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl and call her Kanasexual lol

joined Mar 30, 2017

I really hate how people feel the need to argue that a character is not really bi and is actually a "pure" lesbian. As if there is something wrong or dirty about someone being bi.

Isn’t this the opposite case though? Miki has 100% dated men before, and likely had sex with them as well, but what people are saying is that because she was actually in love with Kana the entire time there’s no real evidence for her being bisexual. She specifically states “I tried my best to make it work with other people but...” which implies that the main reason she chose to date them was in order to force herself to get over Kana. That smacks of classic compulsory heterosexuality to me, just like above comments have also mentioned. Some people only realize they are lesbians later in life, and some of those people have already married men and had kids when they realize. That’s the vibe I got from this.

As far as sexuality goes all we know is that Miki loved and loves Kana. Maybe we should just take a page from Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl and call her Kanasexual lol

If it was just here sure, but this is a reoccurring thing I see on these boards. Whener a girl has had past relationships with men people either discount her off the bat or try to come up with reasons why it doesn't count.

joined Jun 7, 2019

If it was just here sure, but this is a reoccurring thing I see on these boards. Whener a girl has had past relationships with men people either discount her off the bat or try to come up with reasons why it doesn't count.

there is times when it does not count tho
"why would it make less lesbian someone who dated men before?" or smth like that

joined Apr 13, 2021

Nice

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Omegand posted:

Girl sleeps with multiple guys.
"Oh well you see she is not technically bisexual, because she was also interested in her best friend at the same time."
Get real.

Charming.

kekkres posted:

Yeah, me too. Biphobia sucks and purity culture (in the yuri community and anywhere else) is really stupid. I don't think anyone here did that, though.

Tags are never meant to be moral, ethical, or technical judgements. They're meant to inform readers about the content they're browsing such that they may make educated decisions in choosing to read or not read (and in finding later, with the search mechanism). If one were to argue for the tag, I would ask some of the looking questions. Where in the story does the main character engage with both sexes, sexually or romantically? Is her bisexuality a focus otherwise? What will someone looking for a bisexual character get out of this story? What other arguments may be made that necessitate the tag being used?

Fb_img_1519001452689
joined Feb 14, 2018

expected sad sex, got wholesome fluff instead welp guess that's one story for my favorites box

joined Dec 30, 2018

Cringe.

can this guy get banned? all he comments is mostly shitting on manga without any constructive critisism pr elaboration

last edited at May 6, 2021 12:28AM

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Omegand posted:

Girl sleeps with multiple guys.
"Oh well you see she is not technically bisexual, because she was also interested in her best friend at the same time."
Get real.

Charming.

kekkres posted:

Yeah, me too. Biphobia sucks and purity culture (in the yuri community and anywhere else) is really stupid. I don't think anyone here did that, though.

Tags are never meant to be moral, ethical, or technical judgements. They're meant to inform readers about the content they're browsing such that they may make educated decisions in choosing to read or not read (and in finding later, with the search mechanism). If one were to argue for the tag, I would ask some of the looking questions. Where in the story does the main character engage with both sexes, sexually or romantically? Is her bisexuality a focus otherwise? What will someone looking for a bisexual character get out of this story? What other arguments may be made that necessitate the tag being used?

What "informed decisions" are people making that aren't "moral ethical or technical judgements" lol

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I still don't get the logic of a woman throwing herself at man after man, when she is trying to move on from a one sided love with another woman. It just seems at one point she would think to herself "I can't seem to connect with any of the guys I date, and I'm still hung up on my female best friend. Could I possibly be a lesbian"?

last edited at May 6, 2021 1:58AM

alexisomorphic
joined Nov 9, 2019

I still don't get the logic of a woman throwing herself at man after man, when she is trying to move on from a one sided love with another woman. It just seems at one point she would think to herself "I can't seem to connect with any of the guys I date, and I'm still hung up on my female best friend. Could I possibly be a lesbian"?

In plenty of parts of the world, attitudes towards lgbt folk are still negative enough that a lot of the time you just don't consider it a possibility. I have heard a woman tell another woman that "all women have fantasies about sleeping with their friends" as evidence that woman 2 wasn't bi. Heteronormativity is rough.

joined Feb 21, 2019

You're not lgbt are you

Shinozaki
joined Feb 20, 2017

The feelings roulette is back! Let's spin!

In another note, not everyone is pretty sure if they like opossite or same sex and have to try both to notice, to say it simple and don't overextend myself with different examples and make this a volume.

last edited at May 6, 2021 3:57AM

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Because that the best way to have drama in the story

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

You're not lgbt are you

Ouch! Is it that obvious? No I'm not. However I'm always looking to understand the lesbian community better.

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:28AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

As if "the lgbt community" was a monolith, with people, based on a single framework, who fit neatly in a little box.

joined Feb 21, 2019

if you think "having to deal with comphet and internalized homophobia" is a "small box" then sure pal

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:44AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

IAKi100atT posted:

if you think "having to deal with comphet and internalized homophobia" is a "small box" then sure pal

Your point is?

Mine is that you can't really talk for other people, even if they share some traits with you, because everyone has their own path in life.

And that's why the concept of "community" has always been alien to me. You try to understand people, not communities.

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:49AM

joined Feb 21, 2019

IAKi100atT posted:

Your point is?

Mine is that you can't really talk for other people, even if they share some traits with you, because everyone has their own path in life.

And that's why the concept of "community" has always been alien to me. You try to understand people, not communities.

I don't really care about your weird ass individualist philosophy lady

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:54AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

IAKi100atT posted:

IAKi100atT posted:

Your point is?

I don't really care about your weird ass individualist philosophy lady

And I don't really care about your dumb herd mentality. If you feel more secure in a crowd, you do you.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

somehow we got another happy ending in this anthology

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Lesbian stories where characters need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians are frustrating to me. Realistic if you live in a shitty environment. But still annoying.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Lesbian stories where characters need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians are frustrating to me. Realistic if you live in a shitty environment. But still annoying.

"A shitty environment", so you mean a society that focuses on traditional family values? Like the one the author of this comic is from?

There's a reason why it comes up often in stories, and writing about is likely a sort of catharsis for the author, and even a lot of their audience. Instead of being frustrated with stories like this, my frustration is placed on the fact that it's very realistic in many parts of the world, and a lot of those parts of the world won't be changing any time soon unfortunately.

last edited at May 6, 2021 4:52AM

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

Cute

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Warning

Oh, it's that "I don't want a happy ending." series again. Not reading it.

There's actually a happy ending in this one, though.

Oh, thanks, I need your reply the others whom say this does have a happy ending.

Read it, and am happy. =D Sweet NSFW <3

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I plan on translating the whole Mikanuji short stories collection (see table of content of first chapter). That makes 6 chapters.

To be fair to Mikanuji, only chapter 3 has a "weird ass" ending. And it was probably because it was for an anthology named "Qualia - Jealousy" whose theme was probably supposed to be dark.

All other chapters have a good ending.

Don't be fooled by the title of the collection: it's a play on words about the title of chapter 2, where the "happy ending" she doesn't want is a het ending, that's avoided.

last edited at May 6, 2021 5:04AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.