Forum › About That Day Off From Work. discussion

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Lesbian stories where characters need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians are frustrating to me. Realistic if you live in a shitty environment. But still annoying.

"A shitty environment", so you mean a society that focuses on traditional family values? Like the one the author of this comic is from?

There's a reason why it comes up often in stories, and writing about is likely a sort of catharsis for the author, and even a lot of their audience. Instead of being frustrated with stories like this, my frustration is placed on the fact that it's very realistic in many parts of the world, and a lot of those parts of the world won't be changing any time soon unfortunately.

"A shitty enviroment" as in no internet whatsoever so the characters can't search about homosexual online and then question about it for a long damn time because the writer said so.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I still don't get the logic of a woman throwing herself at man after man, when she is trying to move on from a one sided love with another woman. It just seems at one point she would think to herself "I can't seem to connect with any of the guys I date, and I'm still hung up on my female best friend. Could I possibly be a lesbian"?

In plenty of parts of the world, attitudes towards lgbt folk are still negative enough that a lot of the time you just don't consider it a possibility. I have heard a woman tell another woman that "all women have fantasies about sleeping with their friends" as evidence that woman 2 wasn't bi. Heteronormativity is rough.

I've been thinking this one over I think my criticism stands. These two don't seem to be afraid of their feelings for each other. I assume they are hiding their feeling for each other because they are worried that their feelings are unrequited and don't want to risk destroying their friendship. Once the women discovered they both felt the same way, they couldn't wait to give into them. No guilt, nor trepidation about being with another woman, just love.

last edited at May 6, 2021 6:20PM

droidsurlookingfor
R2d2
joined Mar 29, 2021

This comment section is fucking embarassing. Get real.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Childhood Friends win! Flawless Victory!

To think, they were into each other, for so long, both thought is was impossible, so they had this belligerent sexual tension that would boil over when th they got drunk.

I'm seeing couples therapy in their future.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Girl A: Be my boyfriend!
Girl B: (She doesn't mean it!)
Girl A: I love you!
Girl B: (Such a tease!)
Girl A: Kisses
Girl B: (She doesn't feel the same way!)

USELESS.
┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)
LESBIAN.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Oh hey look, a happy ending. Ya know, surprisingly enough I don't think this collection has churned out a single story I don't like yet. Even the first one I find myself liking despite the... questionable nature of their relationships health

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Lots of Mikanuji's MCs look like Iori it seems.

And she loves moles under the eye too.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Lesbian stories where characters need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians are frustrating to me. Realistic if you live in a shitty environment. But still annoying.

"A shitty environment", so you mean a society that focuses on traditional family values? Like the one the author of this comic is from?

There's a reason why it comes up often in stories, and writing about is likely a sort of catharsis for the author, and even a lot of their audience. Instead of being frustrated with stories like this, my frustration is placed on the fact that it's very realistic in many parts of the world, and a lot of those parts of the world won't be changing any time soon unfortunately.

"A shitty enviroment" as in no internet whatsoever so the characters can't search about homosexual online and then question about it for a long damn time because the writer said so.

Are you serious? You have to be joking right now. The internet and a community online can't just easily solve and dispel growing up and living in a society that enforces heteronormativity, and pushes for a traditional family in order to fit in and not stand out. The very same society that also enforces "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down". It has nothing to do with "because the writer said so". Alas though, I don't see how we can possibly see eye to eye here because I'm pretty sure we live on completely different planets.

Apologies if I sound frustrated. There's so many factors that go into figuring out sexuality, and so much pressure from numerous sources to be heterosexual, even in more accepting countries. There's a lot more to it than simply going online and figuring it out, at least for many.

last edited at May 6, 2021 12:15PM

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Are you serious? You have to be joking right now. The internet and a community online can't just easily solve and dispel growing up and living in a society that enforces heteronormativity, and pushes for a traditional family in order to fit in and not stand out. The very same society that also enforces "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down". It has nothing to do with "because the writer said so". Alas though, I don't see how we can possibly see eye to eye here because I'm pretty sure we live on completely different planets.

Apologies if I sound frustrated. There's so many factors that go into figuring out sexuality, and so much pressure from numerous sources to be heterosexual, even in more accepting countries. There's a lot more to it than simply going online and figuring it out, at least for many.

I was reply about the "need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians", not the enforces heteronormativity you're talking about.
My country ain't even that open mind about homosexual and yet everyone knows what gay and lesbian are, even the chinese have better knowledge about gay love then these characters.

My point is, mangaka still use the mindset of 20 years ago in modern manga, and it can be very tiresome.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I was reply about the "need 10-100 years to figure out they are lesbians", not the enforces heteronormativity you're talking about.
My country ain't even that open mind about homosexual and yet everyone knows what gay and lesbian are, even the chinese have better knowledge about gay love then these characters.

My point is, mangaka still use the mindset of 20 years ago in modern manga, and it can be very tiresome.

...because that mindset still persists to this day. Even in the USA it's hard for many people to figure out they're gay/lesbian/bi. People can KNOW what being homosexual is, but it might take them far longer to figure out that's what they are. It's entirely realistic, and the only thing that's tiresome is again that the world still refuses to change in a significant way that genuinely tolerates homosexuality.

joined May 6, 2021

Man, you really hate the Japanese. Isn't there a place on Twitter or Tumblr for you to crawl into? If you ain't from the place don't go making blanket assumptions about what they express through their art because you've read one Baye McNeil or Jake Adelstein article. If an American wrote this same comic, you probably would have said nothing that you have and wrote it off as a reflection of a personal experience, or just simply a stylistic choice by the author. It might or might not be either, its simply art. Stop generalizing over an entire culture and country and being accusatory.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Dynasty scans is a braintrust for the dumbest people on the planet

joined Sep 27, 2017

Man, you really hate the Japanese. Isn't there a place on Twitter or Tumblr for you to crawl into? If you ain't from the place don't go making blanket assumptions about what they express through their art because you've read one Baye McNeil or Jake Adelstein article. If an American wrote this same comic, you probably would have said nothing that you have and wrote it off as a reflection of a personal experience, or just simply a stylistic choice by the author. It might or might not be either, its simply art. Stop generalizing over an entire culture and country and being accusatory.

Says the person who assumes everything about me and says I "hate the Japanese". Ignoring entirely that I even brought up in my last post in this thread how people in the USA also have a hard time accepting homosexuality. The culture around homosexual acceptance in the USA is often face value at best, and not actual real genuine acceptance. So YES I would say something about other countries and problems about acceptance in them, BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE DONE SO.

You seem to ignore that Japan as a country is in general right-wing leaning and has a lot of value still placed on traditional gender roles. All because you wanted to make an account just to call me racist by saying I "hate the Japanese". Ignoring also that I've taken issue with again the whole world and how it accepts homosexuality, and also ignoring that I never said the entirety of Japan thinks one thing and one way. Instead I said how the general view and pressure of society is still not very accepting in the country this author is from. Gay marriage still isn't legal there, likely won't be legal in Japan even 5 years or more from now.

I'd also like to add how very recently a Japanese news paper published an article saying gay people are a major factor in the country's population decline.

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:10PM

joined May 6, 2021

Says the person who assumes everything about me and says I "hate the Japanese". Ignoring entirely that I even brought up in my last post in this thread how people in the USA also have a hard time accepting homosexuality. The culture around homosexual acceptance in the USA is often face value at best, and not actual real genuine acceptance. So YES I would say something about other countries and problems about acceptance in them, BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE DONE SO.

You seem to ignore that Japan as a country is in general right-wing leaning and has a lot of value still placed on traditional gender roles. All because you wanted to make an account just to call me racist by saying I "hate the Japanese". Ignoring also that I've taken issue with again the whole world and how it accepts homosexuality, and also ignoring that I never said the entirety of Japan thinks one thing and one way. Instead I said how the general view and pressure of society is still not very accepting in the country this author is from. Gay marriage still isn't legal there, likely won't be legal in Japan even 5 years or more from now.

I'd also like to add how very recently a Japanese news paper recently published an article saying gay people are a major factor in the country's population decline.

Ok, I apologize for the "hate the Japanese" comment. I'm just getting tired of this website becoming nothing but over-generalized, un-informed accusations towards Japan over art made by specific people in a medium which is extremely varied and very dependent on the personal experiences of the creators, just like art anywhere. Is gay-marriage illegal in Japan, yes. Are there gay people in Japan, yes. Do those people sometimes face hardships due to their sexual preferences, yes. Does this mean every LGBT person in Japan has the same experience, or is oppressed, no. On this very website I have seen works by Japanese LGBT authors describing their personal experiences that range from depressing to positive, to everywhere in between.

I don't think anyone will argue with you about Japan being very traditional, but "right-wing" is a bit far-fetched. Conforming Japan to the spectrum of western or American politics is very close-minded and only leads to othering or deprecation of a foreign culture. Japan will be Japan, and while you may personally disagree with certain experiences here and there, in the end it is simply a group of human living in one place opposed to another, who have chosen to live a different way than you or me. In respecting art created by a different culture, I feel it is better to respect that there will be differences in how things, like sexual preferences, are interpreted, and that it is not within your right, as someone removed from that culture to critique it based on the parameters set within your own culture. By labeling Japan as "right-wing" and "not very accepting" all you are doing is generalizing an entire country with very inflammatory rhetoric which is skewed through a western political lens.

last edited at May 6, 2021 2:38PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh right, I forgot. Cultural relativism is a thing.

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

idk how ppl read this and keep assuming she didn't know she was attracted to her friend. she literally says she knew since middle school. you guys are reading this completely wrong. she never did anything because she thought it would be unrequited this whole time. so she dated boys instead. which can mean a whole bunch of things. but no where does it state she didn't ENJOY being with all those men. they just weren't who she was in love with. ppl, even straight cis' try to do that all the time, this is nothing lgbqt unique, only it probably comes up more often for obvious reasons. And even if things are so much easier now, it's easy to forget that it really wasn't that long ago where things were much different. i'm only 35 and i grew up without knowing lgbqt was a thing until i heard about it in middle school, from word of mouth, and it was not in a good light. shit being able to brows the internet was still a baby thing when i was in highschool, and not something we would think to go to to learn about lgbqt. and the only kind of media i ever saw it show up in was shit like mariasama ga miteiru, which i actually read as a scripted translation, cause you could still barely see scanlations on the web. THIS IS WHY "omg i never realized til 10 years later i was gay" STORIES STILL EXIST BECAUSE IT STILL EXISTED FOR PROMINENT MANGA ARTISTS.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

<---

joined Jun 18, 2018

idk how ppl read this and keep assuming she didn't know she was attracted to her friend. she literally says she knew since middle school. you guys are reading this completely wrong. she never did anything because she thought it would be unrequited this whole time. so she dated boys instead. which can mean a whole bunch of things. but no where does it state she didn't ENJOY being with all those men. they just weren't who she was in love with. ppl, even straight cis' try to do that all the time, this is nothing lgbqt unique, only it probably comes up more often for obvious reasons. And even if things are so much easier now, it's easy to forget that it really wasn't that long ago where things were much different. i'm only 35 and i grew up without knowing lgbqt was a thing until i heard about it in middle school, from word of mouth, and it was not in a good light. shit being able to brows the internet was still a baby thing when i was in highschool, and not something we would think to go to to learn about lgbqt. and the only kind of media i ever saw it show up in was shit like mariasama ga miteiru, which i actually read as a scripted translation, cause you could still barely see scanlations on the web. THIS IS WHY "omg i never realized til 10 years later i was gay" STORIES STILL EXIST BECAUSE IT STILL EXISTED FOR PROMINENT MANGA ARTISTS.

Exactly.
Artist who draw today's stories were children when Lgbtq+ was not mainstream. Without internet, no legalized marriage, no big corporate commercials pandering to pride, no (good) gay representation in media.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Is it some kind of Mikanuji superpower that the discussion under any of her works inevitably becomes a heated debate about something? It's impressive, considering that for this one she did not even tried to clumsily integrate serious topics as she sometimes does

20220617_152146
joined Apr 2, 2020

Pure bliss

joined Jan 14, 2020

that it is not within your right, as someone removed from that culture to critique it based on the parameters set within your own culture.

So those of us who aren't Japanese shouldn't be criticizing Japanese mangaka portraying their own culture.

Hino1
joined Nov 17, 2018

i like it

joined Feb 18, 2015

Nothing quite like mutual unrequited love.

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

Oh, this one turned out quite well, in a dorky fluffy way. They're top level useless lesbians arent they? XD

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Warning

Oh, it's that "I don't want a happy ending." series again. Not reading it.

Every single one of those stories has a happy ending, either in the oneshot or the sequel.

To reply you must either login or sign up.