46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I know this isn't really a series about romance

You answer yourself.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Well, nice to see I'm not the only one reacting to the 7 years (in-series) passing by.

last edited at Mar 27, 2021 3:41AM

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Cute!
I just wonder if there'll be actual romance here

memories of six years of arguing over this

damn time in a room for two has basically passed at the same rate of real world time huh

last edited at Mar 27, 2021 4:32AM

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

They have been living together for 7 years, they passed the point of romance already.
I don't think in real life people can be that close and live together for not long can have no involvement with each others, aside from being blood-related.

joined Sep 11, 2019

Always nice to see updates of this for some nice relaxing fluff(?)

17___peppa_renon_chan_by_tsuukiyomi-d8c0h52
joined Jul 17, 2018

Seven years...

Seven years...

joined May 23, 2013

The best thing is that the manga has been ongoing for 7 years.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I know this isn't really a series about romance, but when chapter 69 just happens to be about valentine's day and there isn't any sweet (or spicy) flirty time it is kinda disappointing.
Time to stop reading, I s'pose. There's just not anything here and at this point I don't think there ever will be

There is a more classical couple in there, let me think Shouko? and the high class lady ...Seri? I don't know, but those ones are like, actually dating or something. I like them

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

InRainville posted:

More particularly, I'm wondering if there are examples of manga - ideally yuri - that's successfully transitioned from multiple volumes of will they/won't they to multiple follow-up volumes of "yep, we're in a serious relationship, and all that follows." I'm wracking my brain, but the vast majority of yuri I can think of ends almost immediately once the relationship is consummated, whether that's a mutual confession, kiss, or sex. (Morinaga's My Cute Little Kitten is damn near the only exception I can think of, and that featured full-on sex within the first five chapters or so...)

That's actually issue with vast majority of romance stories in general, not just yuri. It's the definition of "the journey is more important than the destination". Most writers are more interested in exploring how couple got together instead of their live as a couple. In fact a lot of romance mangas existence seems to depend on "will they/won't they?" factor as a main gimmick and as soon as it's resolved, manga loses its purpose to exist and is instantly concluded. My personal explanation is that it's much easier to came up with story how 2 characters meet and fall in love with each other concluding in them finally confessing their feelings, while coming up with a realistic, interesting couple life is much harder. Most het mangas I read that didn't end as soon as couple got together never actually focused on their life as a couple. In order to keep manga interesting authors would immediately start introducing incredibly forced drama that almost never happens to any average person. The most common ways to keep manga about couple interesting according to most authors is either introducing reason for couple to break up or split apart (usually through blackmailing), introduce love triangle or just use old fashioned misunderstanding to create friction between main pair. So pretty much most authors don't write them as a normal couple and pretty much find a way to write it as if they weren't dating. At best the relationship becomes incredibly toxic and you pretty much root for them to break up.

joined Oct 27, 2018

The way the author refuses to allow them to change in any major way

In what way you want them to change ?

Literally any way at all, they are just extremely stagnant characters, and I personally don't find then interesting to read about because it's usually very obvious what they are gonna say and do next.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The way the author refuses to allow them to change in any major way

In what way you want them to change ?

Literally any way at all, they are just extremely stagnant characters, and I personally don't find then interesting to read about because it's usually very obvious what they are gonna say and do next.

Then why did you still read ?

Azumaya%20koyuki
joined Oct 2, 2014

So I read the first chapter of "A Room for Two" and am wondering if there is much of a story in this series or is it pretty much just straight slice of life fluff like in the first chapter?

joined Apr 6, 2019

So I read the first chapter of "A Room for Two" and am wondering if there is much of a story in this series or is it pretty much just straight slice of life fluff like in the first chapter?

A fellow forumite who writes reviews for a manga blog once reviewed A Room for Two. This is what she wrote:

Sakurako is a baby lesbian, 14-15 in age, who is about to start high school. Her new school is an exclusive boarding school, so she has to get a room at the boarding house associated to the school. The house is set up for two people to a room, and Sakurako has yet to meet her new roommate. Then, the girl arrives... and Sakurako can't believe her eyes: she's an ABSOLUTE GODDESS! A stunning blonde beauty with the body of a supermodel, big firm boobs, flawlessly fair skin, perfect shapely legs, a sexy round butt and a face so pretty it's breathtaking! And yes, she's only 15, too. Our poor Sakurako is so stupefied she even wonders if they are the same species! Like, she's Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but Kasumi (that's her roommate's name) must be Homo Perfectis Divinis or something! Oh, and the first thing Kasumi does after entering their room is stripping to her panties and laying down on the tatami mats in a lazy, sexy pose... which doesn't exactly help Sakurako recover from her state of awed wonderment, lol.

As usual in Japan, their room comes empty; they are expected to bring the furniture and everything else themselves. So they go shopping for all the stuff they need. They are going to live for the next three years in that shared room, so there's a lot to buy! At the tableware department, Sakurako says they should get matching mugs with a heart design on the side (the sort of mugs typically used by lovers and newlyweds), then she goes: "Haha, just kidding, that was a joke!" But Kasumi says: "Sure, okay, let's buy that." That leaves Sakurako speechless, wondering if she really is reading right the signals Kasumi seems to be sending her. Then, at the bedding department, they face a dilemma: the room is too small for two beds, but Kasumi doesn't want to use futons. Sakurako says: "I know! I'll get a single bed, and you can sleep with me! Hahaha, a joke, that was just a joke; of course you wouldn't..." And Kasumi replies: "Good idea. We'll do just that." And Sakurako looks at her in utter astonishment, wondering if she's dreaming, feeling like she can't believe her good luck... because, after a statement like that, there's no more room for doubt and no more chance of misunderstanding: yes, Kasumi feels for her the same way she feels for Kasumi; yes, this amazing blonde goddess actually likes her and wants to have THAT kind of relationship with her!!!

This is a simple lesbian wish-fulfillment story focused on Sakurako and mostly told from her point of view. Of course, we get to see through Kasumi's eyes from time to time, but pretty much every chapter is about Sakurako doing everything she can to make Kasumi happy (which is often a heap of work, as Kasumi can be high-maintenance a lot of the time) and being rewarded with Kasumi's sweet love.

And this is the plot of the series, not what I call fluff and most certainly not straight. The ensuing story arcs show us how their relationship develops, how they graduate from school, how they attend college, how they become working adults, and, of course, how their bond keeps getting stronger as their happy married life goes on.

There are people in the forum who will disagree and argue that only the overt explicit depiction of mutually administered orgasms makes a story lesbian... but most of us don't think that way. In that we are on the same wavelength as the Japanese readers and the author herself, who in the prologue chapter had the two mcs say that of course they had sexual desire for each other. Since however she makes a point of never drawing actual sex, I guess you can if you so want read the manga as a story of pure girly friendship... the sort of friendship where the two girl friends vow their love for each other, swear off men, move in together, sleep in the same bed, cuddle, kiss and plan to have a wedding ceremony and make babies (if science allows it) in the future.

last edited at Apr 5, 2021 6:39PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I guess you can if you so want read the manga as a story of pure girly friendship... the sort of friendship where the two girl friends vow their love for each other, swear off men, move in together, sleep in the same bed, cuddle, kiss and plan to have a wedding ceremony and make babies (if science allows it) in the future.

Yeah, that sort of friendship. Maybe there's another name for it, in fact.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I guess you can if you so want read the manga as a story of pure girly friendship... the sort of friendship where the two girl friends vow their love for each other, swear off men, move in together, sleep in the same bed, cuddle, kiss and plan to have a wedding ceremony and make babies (if science allows it) in the future.

Yeah, that sort of friendship. Maybe there's another name for it, in fact.

I've always thought the fact that the parents have already paired the two of them off for life was a pretty strong indicator of the depth of their relationship.

You know-- Japanese parents.

last edited at Apr 25, 2021 12:08PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I reread the chapters from Vol.9 and i feel like i didn't read them. That's said I start to feel it become more serious and mature and moreso that the relation between Kasumi and Sakurako has been largely talk over since last volume.

joined Dec 3, 2018

There are people in the forum who will disagree and argue that only the overt explicit depiction of mutually administered orgasms makes a story lesbian... but most of us don't think that way.

Love how you people always turn to this strawman when you know the manga doesn't even have romantic kissing. You know, shit that even pure minded 16-year-old virgins do when they start dating.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Gridman posted:

There are people in the forum who will disagree and argue that only the overt explicit depiction of mutually administered orgasms makes a story lesbian... but most of us don't think that way.

Love how you people always turn to this strawman when you know the manga doesn't even have romantic kissing. You know, shit that even pure minded 16-year-old virgins do when they start dating.

Except it does, but you conveniently ignored it every time it was brought up to you. You keep coming to this thread saying the same things and when people give you proofs you're wrong, you either ignore it or disappear and then are surprised that people recognize you in different threads, when you did this shit already on like 3 separate occasions.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Gridman posted:

Except it does, but you conveniently ignored it every time it was brought up to you. You keep coming to this thread saying the same things and when people give you proofs you're wrong, you either ignore it or disappear and then are surprised that people recognize you in different threads, when you did this shit already on like 3 separate occasions.

And even if they don't, what the matter ? They stated multiples times they don't care about those kinds of things, like saying "I love you", call each other girlfriends or even saying they're dating. Just because it doesn't your standard of what a couple is suposs to do, that it mean that they aren't in couple. They've always been doing things in their own way and it's the same for dating/couple stuff.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Say what you want about "They should tongue kiss, and they don't, and that's just wrong!" but at least it's an ethos.

joined Aug 29, 2019

pure minded 16-year-old virgins

Now there's an oxymoron...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I remember that time 3 years ago when I was 16yo, and I can tell you that I wasn't pure-minded. Like, at all. Like, I was so impure-minded I actually kinda felt guilty about it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I remember that time 3 years ago when I was 16yo, and I can tell you that I wasn't pure-minded. Like, at all. Like, I was so impure-minded I actually kinda felt guilty about it.

But by now you're old enough to know better and not feel guilty anymore?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

But by now you're old enough to know better and not feel guilty anymore?

That, and I've also gotten a little bit less impure.

To reply you must either login or sign up.