Forum › Stripping the Flesh discussion

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

So why is he bleeding at around page 57? And can you already have a full transformation nowadays or is modern medicine still limited? It always sounds more like a substitute to ease the mind a bit.

Villains
joined May 1, 2015

So why is he bleeding at around page 57? And can you already have a full transformation nowadays or is modern medicine still limited? It always sounds more like a substitute to ease the mind a bit.

A flashback to middle school starts on that page, to when Chiaki began menstruating. Takatou helps him out by changing pants with him.

けやき坂46
Original
joined Jan 30, 2019

Oh wow the body dysphoria is very relatable on a deeply personal level but I am kind of worried the dad might still be as sexist/heteronormative as before and would not let his "daughters" hunt/be boyish or marry/date other women instead of men. I wish there was a part clarifying he would have supported Chiaki's interests even if Chiaki wasn't trans. Would have been even more wholesome.

Non%20face%20prunus%20girl%20ch%2010%20pg%206
joined Jul 3, 2018

Takatou helps him out by changing pants with him.

Takatou is a real bro.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Oh wow the body dysphoria is very relatable on a deeply personal level but I am kind of worried the dad might still be as sexist/heteronormative as before and would not let his "daughters" hunt/be boyish or marry/date other women instead of men. I wish there was a part clarifying he would have supported Chiaki's interests even if Chiaki wasn't trans. Would have been even more wholesome.

Honestly thats how a lot of parents are, even if they’re supportive. I wish there was a part like that too, where even if he wasn’t trans he could still find acceptance, but it’s definitely realistic that even accepting parents still usually have a lot of ingrained sexist/heteronormative ideas.

Definitely would have been more wholesome. I’m mostly glad that Chiaki didn’t die, I was pretty worried for a while.

joined Sep 22, 2015

I couldn't relate, but this was such a deep and meaningful story. Thanks for translating a work like this and for sharing it. I was moved.. man, who is this author??

Download
joined Aug 8, 2013

Phenomenal story.

It's so rare to see a manga treats gender identity problems with such maturity and nuance.

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 11:43AM

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

I’m mostly glad that Chiaki didn’t die, I was pretty worried for a while.

Same here.

And props to Pops and Takatou for accepting Chiaki.

TheLubeTube Uploader
Lesbianfiction!
Me-A Scans
joined Jul 27, 2018

Hell yeah good for him

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

beautiful stuff

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Title and drama tag had me worried it would end in tragedy. It was an emotional roller coaster, but I'm glad I read it.

I'm conflicted how the narrative seems to support the thinking that scars and hunting are manly but I think overall it's a moving piece.

I think the idea is that scars and hunting are part of Chiaki's personal view of masculinity, not necessarily that they're inherent manly; the manga does make a point of stating female hunters exist. And Chiaki's clearly viewing his dad as a template. Which, given the ending, not a bad call on his part. But that's just my interpretation.

The dream surgery scene was especially powerful; I have had similar daydreams, though as a trans woman they instead had doctors stretching my hipbones and sewing my vocal folds tighter and stuff like that.

I had similar dreams as well. Some were even more surreal. Comforting to learn that it's more common than I was led to believe.

FiveStripeFlag
joined Apr 27, 2020

oh this is rad I like that it doesn't end on an incredibly sad note(or like... a transphobic one) like a good section of transgender stuff does

dmitry106 Uploader
Subtext Only Translations
joined Nov 24, 2020

Appreciate having another story like this with a good ending. Tags are scary.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Good story overall, sucks for trans men though that they have to be portrayed as curvy tomboys in tight clothing even in stories ultimately supportive of them....which kinda makes this hard for me to recommend to transmasc friends

It was nice to see him comfortable in his own skin at the end though

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 1:16PM

Dayer Uploader
Discordavi
Dayer
joined Jun 26, 2018

Great story, good for him! I'm also glad despite the story revolved around hunting, the gore wasn't overdone nor did it make me queasy. Thx Stan.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I loved him shooting his shot rhe the camera lol

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

This was quite a good read, not only for the story but also for the information we got out of it, I hope more people can see this story.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

This is nothing I could personally relate to, but it sure as hell made me emotional, I'm glad both Chiaki and his father got to be happy in the end, what an awesome read. Mad respect for Takatou too, what an absolute fucking bro.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

fuck man, im not crying you are
TT

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I spend so much time splitting hairs over representation, I forgot how well these basic transition stories just work.

Fuck I'm still crying.

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 2:20PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I spend so much time splitting hairs over representation, I forgot how well these basic transition stories just work.

It's a great story and it definitely works, yet I think there are some aspects to it that I'd like to discuss but feel I can't.

8ldsxx8gdfh7s211
joined Jan 11, 2019

Takatou is a mensch.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

(Thanks to Stan and Kirin-kun for doing some legwork on this.) One thing that's really cool about this is the cast of people behind it. It was published in Shounen Jump+, a web magazine that could be said to be the slightly more mature version of Shounen Jump. Without a doubt, a lot of ordinary Shounen Jump readers are going to read this, too.

Tooda Oto, who gets the artist credits, is relatively new as a primary artist; they were a noted assistant on the popular shounen series, Fire Punch and have just one other credit as a primary artist. Yuki Suetsugui, who gets the writing credits, is the author/artist of the mega-hit shoujo series, Chihayafuru. Tokiumi Yui, who gets the scenario writing credits, is probably best known to Western folks for writing the LN adaptation of Your Lie in April. She's a noted (adaptation) writer in her own right. All three of them collaborated on the recent Chihayafuru: Middle School Arc spin-off, in very similar roles.

...which is all to say, in spite of the newish artist, this is a notable magazine with notable names writing a pretty real trans story. I've no idea what kind of precedent there is for this, but I was really pleased to take note of it, anyway.

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 3:50PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

oh well,that was uh something
cries

Standardicon
joined Apr 25, 2020

That cover image of Chiaki strung up--pierced through the ankles--was so off-putting I almost didn't read it, but I trust Stan Miller's taste and stuck with it. Glad I did, good story, well done.

To reply you must either login or sign up.