joined Apr 21, 2016

The drama, the edge, I'm so happy.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

applause

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Glad I found this again, I was starting to think I hallucinated it back in the day.

Now I'm here thinking about the way my whole generation used moefluff girls to process the worst shit in our lives because it was the only emotional language we'd found.

last edited at Jun 20, 2023 8:28AM

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I'm sorry for the trans goggles but all I can see is three girls being friends

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Looks dumb as hell, I'm in.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Furiously taking notes

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

one-woman standing ovation

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

(Thanks to Stan and Kirin-kun for doing some legwork on this.) One thing that's really cool about this is the cast of people behind it. It was published in Shounen Jump+, a web magazine that could be said to be the slightly more mature version of Shounen Jump. Without a doubt, a lot of ordinary Shounen Jump readers are going to read this, too.

Tooda Oto, who gets the artist credits, is relatively new as a primary artist; they were a noted assistant on the popular shounen series, Fire Punch and have just one other credit as a primary artist. Yuki Suetsugui, who gets the writing credits, is the author/artist of the mega-hit shoujo series, Chihayafuru. Tokiumi Yui, who gets the scenario writing credits, is probably best known to Western folks for writing the LN adaptation of Your Lie in April. She's a noted (adaptation) writer in her own right. All three of them collaborated on the recent Chihayafuru: Middle School Arc spin-off, in very similar roles.

...which is all to say, in spite of the newish artist, this is a notable magazine with notable names writing a pretty real trans story. I've no idea what kind of precedent there is for this, but I was really pleased to take note of it, anyway.

The extra context makes me appreciate this a lot more. It's really good as a shounen genre piece, and I love how Chiaki's drawn and framed as a shounen protagonist even when his body's at its least masculine.

Plus this is exactly the kind of media trans guys should be featured in more. Both because they deserve to have men's media about them and because these are the kind of trans experiences cis guys actually have a chance of relating to.

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 6:32PM

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I spend so much time splitting hairs over representation, I forgot how well these basic transition stories just work.

Fuck I'm still crying.

last edited at Apr 3, 2021 2:20PM

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I don't know how I feel about my literal ideal relationship being tagged Roommates lol

last edited at Mar 29, 2021 7:41AM

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Cause of my death: Honoka in Oscar cosplay.

Please pray for my soul

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

The story's centering on Kurokawa's angst but honestly that was some grade A dehumanizing. I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with the inevitable happy end after this.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I'm just gonna shut my feminist brain down and enjoy this.

Yup

Damn this is hot.

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

After five years I finally found a profile pic.

last edited at Mar 1, 2021 12:35PM

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I'm sorry but

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHh

My heart's never been this full

ceiimq
School Zone discussion 10 Aug 06:37
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

When you're trying to be gay at work but the other girl's a shonen protagonist.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I'm super confused about the usage of the word "Straight" in this.

Like, I get it when stories use it for girls who aren't straight when they just haven't realized that they're gay/whatever, but this woman has literally been in a serious relationship with another woman for a full month, is explicitly willing to have sex with said woman, is not in the closet or otherwise trying to hide her interests and there's no implication what so ever that they're just "pretend dating."

And yet both characters somehow consider her a "straight" woman that only men have a chance with?
They're both clearly aware that the "straight" girl is entirely willing to date and sleep with women just from a personal desire to do so, how on earth do you even rationalize thinking of such a woman as "straight?" It doesn't make any sense!

Is this next-level useless lesbians? Is this what it means to go beyond? Useless Lesbian 2? Plus Ultra?

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not Japanese, but I think the Japanese version of comphet includes the idea that it's perfectly possible for a straight woman to date another woman "in a straight way" as long as the relationship conforms to a certain stereotype - an older partner who's beautiful and experienced and basically perfect, and a younger partner who idolizes her. Think Maria-sama ga Miteiru.

The senpai is directly invoking that myth here. She tries to play the part of the perfect onee-sama because she thinks that's the only way this "straight" girl would date her.

The kouhai also buys into it and doesn't question her sexuality because she can tell herself she's just "admiring" her perfect senpai.

Of course the joke is that the actual dynamic of their relationship is completely different.

last edited at Jun 14, 2020 7:17AM

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

At least Tazune had decency to not doing someting to hurt Midori and accepted the only truth that Midori doesnt love him anymore.

Yeah this chapter made me feel like there's hope for him yet. I hope he stays out of this story now and I also hope someone gives him a hug.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Oh come ON

ceiimq
PafuPafu discussion 16 Dec 09:13
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Starting a petition to make Kodama Naoko stop writing stories and just draw boobs full time.

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

I expected something ridiculous, why is this so heartwarming.

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

dkgkhkfjdsgh how am I supposed to exist until the next Haruka/Kanae chapter

last edited at Dec 10, 2019 8:59AM

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

Fuck I'm going to need a notepad.

ceiimq
Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

This series is Nickelodeon-tier so far and that's the highest praise I could give. I love Dowman Sayman's episodic stuff so much. I hope he(?)'s able to keep it that way and it doesn't get too bogged down.

last edited at Dec 5, 2019 9:14AM

Chrome_owubdrgq2t
joined Apr 21, 2016

So er...

We're using prison labor now.

The cast is all-female except for the character who comes in to save the girls from their tech incompetence. But then that one male character has to be non-human so he's not threatening.

Also you go to hell for not working hard enough at your job?

Chapter 3's wild guys, and I have no idea where the self-parody begins and ends. Help.

last edited at Nov 28, 2019 9:36AM