Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

joined Nov 9, 2020

Idk man but that "in this wide ocean, i found you" it knock me up..

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I gotta say that's a damn perfect ending even without a kiss
It tied everything back together again in a way that felt as natural as an intake of breath
Kinda feels like an end of an era to me

I do think the series suffered in the middle part and the separation between the two felt forced but these last couple of chapters and this one especially have reminded me why I was so taken to this series from the beginning
I know I'm the type of guy that wants things to be concrete and romantic feelings to be pointedly expressed and acted upon but I'm satisfied with this.

The subtext tag can burn in hell this is gay as fuck

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 9:03AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

By the way, considering the author seemed a bit demoralized a while ago, I'm glad she decided to keep working as a mangaka and that she has a new series in the works. I loved Nettaigyo overall and I think she has great potential for the future.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

The subtext tag can burn in hell this is gay as fuck

(jokingly) Not Yuri

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

What's gayer, being a lesbian, or whatever the fuck Honami and Koyuki have going on?

FWHH - Friends with Hand-Holding ?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

They're bosom buddies.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"Do you like salamanders?" is the lesbian version of "The moon is beautiful, isn't it?" and you cant convince me otherwise.

No doubt about it. And the last page only confirms it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Actually, the title of the last chapter is a title drop.

And kogareru (焦がれる) is pretty ambiguous too. It also means "to be in love with" as well as yearning for.

But yeah. Subtext.

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 10:38AM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

What a way to end. I’m gonna have to reread this all together before I can get my thoughts sorted about it tbh.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

What a way to end. I’m gonna have to reread this all together before I can get my thoughts sorted about it tbh.

I think I'll do just that, for now I can only say that I'm extremely grateful with this manga and hachimitsu scans, the previous chapter was already all I wanted and I was happy so this ending is like a bonus for me, and nice touch about Kaede, after all, her character development highlight was her sister, so that's giving a closure too.

Would be great if we get bonus stuff with the volume release but for now good bye Tropical fish! And thank you.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

i don´t really get why people are so mad honestly, if you choose to keep reading after the official tweet and got disappointed that´s on you, it´s funny how people decide to read stuff that they know they will not enjoy
And even if we agree that the manga is in fact yuribait (wich i don´t) the author already said that you´re free to interpret their relationship the way you want, is not like they sudenly put male characters and force a relationship, is not that big of a deal

I think thought experiment might help. It usually is of great assistance to change the point of view a little, and see if your interpretation of things changes at all.

Let's do the simple smell test: Swap Koyuki's sex to male. Make "him" a handsome, but lonely marine science nerd. Konatsu stays at is.

Exactly same things happen, from start to finish. Same framing, same events, etc.

Do you think you read a romance or a friendship story?

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 11:11AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Let's do the simple smell test: Swap Koyuki's sex to male. Make "him" a handsome, but lonely marine science nerd. Konatsu stays at is.

Exactly same things happen, from start to finish. Same framing, same events, etc.

Don't be silly. They don't let boys into aquariums.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Don't be silly. They don't let boys into aquariums.

Don't be homophobic now, GA. :)

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I have to give it to the author. Even title is perfect mixture of subtext and vagueness. I did some digging to make sure and from what I can tell the word 焦がれる can mean both "yearning for something strongly" or "falling in love strongly". It expresses a incredibly strong desire of longing for something and which meaning applies depends on context. You could yearn for your old home, or new job, but also could fall head over heels in love with somebody or something. In case of Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru both fits since it could be just as easily translated as "A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow " as well as "A Tropical Fish Falls in Love with Snow ". So which meaning makes more sense is left up for interpretation.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

i don´t really get why people are so mad honestly, if you choose to keep reading after the official tweet and got disappointed that´s on you, it´s funny how people decide to read stuff that they know they will not enjoy
And even if we agree that the manga is in fact yuribait (wich i don´t) the author already said that you´re free to interpret their relationship the way you want, is not like they sudenly put male characters and force a relationship, is not that big of a deal

I think thought experiment might help. It usually is of great assistance to change the point of view a little, and see if your interpretation of things changes at all.

Do you think you read a romance or a friendship story?

What a silly idea. If nothing else is changed, it's still ambiguous. As if there don't exist plenty of stories like that.

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 11:22AM

joined Oct 30, 2018

All I know is that, this could've been a classic.

Rps20190516_131448
joined Feb 8, 2019

could've

Keyword

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

As far as I'm considered, it is.

joined Apr 9, 2014

All my not lizard feels!! I really liked the ending. Salamanders will have a different meaning from now on to me.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Awww no kiss, well this was a nice piece of subtext. I would had liked to see more actual yuri, I didn't know about the tweet or anything, I understand one can interpret the story as one wants, I prefer more defined stuff, but the art was nice so I kept reading.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

I wish it would confirm their feelings for each other, but this was an amazing series. I’m glad it got such a good ending.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Setting aside my dismay at the non-yuri ending, this series was amazing and I am so glad I got to experience this. My thanks to the mangaka (who won't see this) and to the translaters (AKA the real MVPs).

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

My thanks to the mangaka (who won't see this)

Go thank her on her twitter, she reads English messages too!

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Oh it is a classic.

Like Stretch.

To reply you must either login or sign up.