Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

Homu2
joined Mar 23, 2015

Love it, 100% what the manga has always been about if you paid attention. Hard not to mock people for thinking this is a twist to stretch the manga.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i just hope after all my screaming that kurokawa work her feelings out and stick together with fujishiro because if they split their friendship i'm gonna be MAD

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

I agree with the translators, this was a long time coming. That mindset was never healthy, and a good relationship can't even begin with such baggage. I am really happy that this is going to be properly pointed out and, hopefully, dealt with.

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019

It was quirky in a good way that they acknowleged Kurokawa's issues, i sometimes find myself not being enough for my daily tasks, at that point that i just want to cry jeje
So thumbs up, and i hope that the next chapter allow us to see a caring Fujishiro that could change Kurokawa's point of view of herself just as Kurokawa did for for Fujishiro, and not a neglecting one that is going to create more drama for more chapters jsjsjs

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 8:48PM

joined Jul 21, 2020

Kanade going yandere was a bit of a surprise though.

Do you even understand what yandere is?
Hint: inferiority-complexed, self-pitiful and self-destructive, that's NOT IT.

joined Sep 4, 2016

Yes, I know what it means.

Yandere is a portmanteau of two Japanese words. The first is yanderu, which means “to be sick,” and the second is deredere, used here for “lovestruck.”

Seems like a pretty apt description to me. Yandere doesn't have necessarily have to be a murderous psychopath, but most of the time that's how they are portrayed.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i don´t get why ppl are saying that this is some kind of ass pull or that is forced drama, there´s several hints of kurokowa´s feelings of inferiority, if anything i think it took a bit too much to bring the issue to the front

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 9:48PM

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Mom pick me up I'm scared

Sarah of the Night
Kaijuislandfuruka2
joined May 12, 2020

truly a useless lesbian.

but yea i guess i kinda forgot about the whole "shining brightly" thing somewhere along the way. i didnt think she'd end up using it to reject her though, but this is drama i can take. i dont feel bad about this one.

i only feel bad cause of the time that needs to pass for something else good to happen ;)

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

i just hope after all my screaming that kurokawa work her feelings out and stick together with fujishiro because if they split their friendship i'm gonna be MAD

It's definitely going to be awkward at the very least. Not just for them, but also Izumi and Iroha who would probably be confused about why they're acting the way they are

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Kanade going yandere was a bit of a surprise though. I knew she idolized her, but I didn't think it was to this extreme of a level. Fujishiro should probably use this opportunity to run away as far as possible. Between psycho girl Kanade, and potential psycho girl Miki, this could get dicey. Time to change schools and start over.

Looking back, seems like Izumi dodged a bullet when she got turned down.

Fujishiro: hey nerdy girl I used to bully... uh guess what, I think I like you?
Kurokawa: sorry I may have mental health problems
Fujishiro: oh, my mistake then. Have a good day leaves epic style

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

This is interesting.

As for the "glasses": in the story, it's spelled out that Kurokawa's in love with Fujishiro as well but yeah as pointed out by others already it's riddled with inferiority complex.

Kurokawa seems to double down on driving home the point to Fujishiro by re-gaining her old mark. She is what she is: lightyears away from the hot stuff. Can't blame her though for feeling that way. When you've set yourself up as a nobody and you're relentlessly bullied i.e "you will never become a princess", being friends with THE princess is an actual miracle. And miracles, normally, are seen as "undeserved". You'd rather love your muse from afar.

Self-abasement sometimes can be a form of pleasure, but this isn't BDSM. Kurokawa's image of herself is extremely unhealthy. I mean it has reached the point where Kurokawa would rather have someone else act out her romantic feelings for Fujishiro i.e her initial shipping of Izumi X Fujishiro than be involved. "She was the one", "Someone who was equal to her" aren't the words Kurokawa uses for herself and instead she uses them to mean Izumi.

Good luck, Fujishiro. She's gotta be the decisive one cuz sure as hell Kurokawa's friggin stubborn here. I just hope she reads between the lines and see Kurokawa's also in love with her.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Yes, I know what it means.

Yandere is a portmanteau of two Japanese words. The first is yanderu, which means “to be sick,” and the second is deredere, used here for “lovestruck.”

Etymology does you no good here. A tsundere doesn't go around stabbing spikes into people.
A yandere is a violent psychopath. That's how the word is used, therefore that's what it means. Kurokawa's inferiority complex and worship of princesses, unsettling as they are, don't fit that description.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

It certainly is not to this dramatic of a level, but... I can relate. Feeling like you’re not worthy of someone because “no way they’d ever even talk to me...” as someone with enormous confidence issues that basically lived with that mindset all through high school, I can see how that could turn into worship at that time in one’s life. It’s unhealthy for sure, and I really am interested to see how Fujishiro helps her past this, if she does.

After all, Fujishiro is trying to navigate her own problems. But they really have to work through that , because if they don’t... yeah it’s doomed to be really toxic and probably not last long.

It’s definitely infinitely better than the characters never talking or communicating at all for like 50 chapters just to build artificial drama - my pet peeve lol.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Wait. People are really surprised by this development?. It was set up from the literal first chapter. Or were they just looking at pretty pictures. That cant be it either since they also do a good job of conveying general emotional context. What the fudge people!

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

Butthurt people :-)

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

Thanks for the translations, I'm on the edge of my seat...

Mustang
joined Jan 24, 2016

Wait. People are really surprised by this development?. It was set up from the literal first chapter. Or were they just looking at pretty pictures. That cant be it either since they also do a good job of conveying general emotional context. What the fudge people!

this is because Kurokawa lacks confidence in herself, seeing her break down in this chapter shows just how lacking she is, when it comes to her own feelings, likely because she is so used to "idolizing" people, that she hasn't learned to love herself just yet.

All this chapter shows, is that Kurokawa, has an inferiority complex that holds her back, she feels like she is inferior to all those around her. I am not surprised in the slightest that this was the case, in fact the first few chapters kind of hinted at the fact that Kurokawa has an inferiority complex.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Kurokawa was born in the friendzone, molded by it, by the time she saw Nanaki's feelings they were nothing to her but blinding

joined Mar 7, 2021

Anyone know how popular this series is in the jp magazine? Its my fav yuri and itd be a shame if it got axed

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

I can kind of understand why some people would be surprised cuz this manga has been running for like 3 years and releases monthly and I forget a lot of stuff here and there. This is why I've read this manga for like 7 times already just to keep up with some stuff.

joined Apr 17, 2017

I was glad to see the author choose this direction for the narrative development. The hints in previous chapters of Kurokawa idolizing Fujishiro from afar are paying off here, and the manga doesn't skimp or cheat on Kurokawa's severe inner conflict. It was a good choice to have her appear in her nerd uniform to reject Fujishiro––for Kurokawa it represents an attempt at regression, which is essentially what she's wishing for at the end of the chapter. I really feel for Fujishiro. She has such simple, straightforward desires, and she's in this situation that means she will have to really step outside of her normal self to get what she wants this time. I feel a lot of extra sympathy because she didn't even realize she really wanted Kurokawa's love until things had already become very tough. I was pretty glad to see the melodrama reach hysterical levels once again––been missing that since the second volume, mostly. Interesting too that Fujishiro's former friends Miki and whoever see the confession––potentially an interesting dynamic there, since this changes and potentially resolves their own storyline––hopefully in favor of a sea change, there? Sympathy for Fujishiro? Or at least they can maybe make peace with her decision to choose Kurokawa over them? When you think about it, this manga has been full of blistering rejection from the get-go. And Nanaki's been at the center of it all, and she's been the one doing most of it. So I think a storyline that demands some understanding and growth from her makes sense. I hope she can work things out, somehow.

I get having trouble following every development over the course of years. A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow has me baffled right now, because I just don't remember what happened a chapter ago. For some reason I don't feel that about this manga? I think I'm just better attuned to the aesthetic of Useless Princess––the high-octane confrontations and overheated melodrama is my kind of jam, I guess. I mean, I supposed I don't remember both of Fujishiro's former friends' names, cut me some slack; I remember lots of what they've done in the manga. My impression is that this title is fairly successful, isn't it? It's getting U.S. distribution while it's still coming out, and that seems to usually be reserved for the higher-selling titles, no?

last edited at Mar 7, 2021 8:09AM

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Wow, ch32 was so fast.
Raw came out on 5th March. And on 6th March, we already had the English scanlation.

lol, people were up our asses like 5 minutes after the raws came out. we also dont want to make people wait during these climactic chapters.

p.s. the proofreader message at the end is not from me. usually, the only people i tell to go fuck themselves are bigots.

Thank you, you people are Angels.

last edited at Mar 7, 2021 9:27AM

joined Dec 5, 2018

I don't know why, but this manga make me cringe so hard

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I mean it has reached the point where Kurokawa would rather have someone else act out her romantic feelings for Fujishiro i.e her initial shipping of Izumi X Fujishiro than be involved.

I hadn't fully grasped the reason behind Kurokawa's obsessive shipping of Fujishiro and Izumi... I mean sure, she did have her otaku tendencies and her feelings of being "unworthy" of Fujishiro, but I hadn't really understood why she saw Izumi not simply as someone worthy of being Fujishiro's lover, but as someone who HAD to be Fujishiro's lover. I can see now that you put it this way though, her seeking someone "worthy" to be with Fujishiro rather than taking that place herself. That really helped me understand her character better, so thanks.

To reply you must either login or sign up.