Forum › A Room For Two discussion

joined Aug 10, 2014

Man I have read all the chapters in a single day and I still can't tell whether I like this manga or not.

When I started I was waiting for them to start dating,but at some point a switch flipped that made me think "Wait, aren't they already one?" , no idea when that happened haha. It feels like they skipped the honeymoon phase altogether and went straight to the "paying taxes" phase.

As a consequence, I find myself not finding a lot of interesting chapters in the manga as a whole. There are good ones,but most of them feel uninteresting, although I admit that must have something to do that I am not a big fan of the SoL genre except for a handful of specific titles.

I guess I'll wait until the manga it's nearing it's end to come back to it since I don't think I'll enjoy waiting for chapters where ""nothing"" happens.

It's not a bad manga,just not my cup of tea

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

There are few things in life you can be certain will always remain the same. Yuri readers being the some of the hardest people on earth to convince that two anime girls might actually be in a relationship is one of those things.

Another one is that I'll show up at some point to make yet another unfunny quip about it. But I prefer to call that "being reliable".

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

All the debates about if this series is yuri or not become hilarious after reading the A Yuri Story About a Girl Who Insists "It's Impossible for Two Girls to Get Together" Completely Falling Within 100 Days LN because, at some point, A Room for Two is used as an example of a story about lesbians. Here's the quote

"This one is a heart-warming story 4-koma manga about two high school girls living together. Because the other manga are like that this one started to feel like this story is about lesbians!"
"Calm down, [Futaribeya] is really a yuri manga"

Mind you, I'm pretty sure A Room for Two was used specifically because Yukiko does the art for the novel.

last edited at Feb 10, 2021 3:30AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

All the debates about if this series is yuri or not become hilarious after reading the A Yuri Story About a Girl Who Insists "It's Impossible for Two Girls to Get Together" Completely Falling Within 100 Days LN because, at some point, A Room for Two is used as an example of a story about lesbians.

IKR?
Once upon a time, I would have jumped at the chance to gloat at the naysayers. But that was at the time when the naysayers were an actual thing -- rampaging about and throwing around walls of text to prove that Kasumi and Sakurako were loving sweethearts but not lovers! Chaste friends, yes; platonic soulmates, sure; sister vestals, why not? Anything but lesbian lovers!

But, right now, they have pretty much vanished. It's been a long while since we last heard the motto "Say nay to sex!" Some ran away, some were banned, some turned out to be socks... At this point of time, the only people who still write comments here are all of us who take the story at face value and enjoy it just as it is. So, yeah, many thanks to Mikami Teren for confirming that Kasumi and Sakurako are the least useless lesbians in the history of lesbianism... but it's not like anyone's left who would still want to deny it.

joined Jun 12, 2015

"A Room for Two" is widely accepted as a yuri manga.

This only confirms that any close relationships between girls is considered yuri by yuri fans. Yuri is not exclusively about lesbians.

last edited at Feb 19, 2021 2:08PM

joined Dec 3, 2014

"A Room for Two" is widely accepted as a yuri manga.

This only confirms that any close relationships between girls is considered yuri by yuri fans. Yuri is not exclusively about lesbians

This is correct. This story is by all meanings and purposes yuri, but yuri by Japanese standard has never exclusively been about lesbians, that's why you also have words like gachi yuri, rezu, GL to make the distinction for you.

Now whether Kasumi and Sakurako are in a romantic relationship or not is another matter, which frankly, I don't think they do even with how much I like the manga. I mean, Sakurako is gay af and she clearly likes Kasumi that way, but even in the story there is a very clear distinction between their relationship and of the other pair who actually have a physical relationship, and plenty of times they both denied it.

Not that there is anything wrong with their relationship, but I guess it's hard to not feel a bit unfulfilled about it sometimes considering how uneven the relationship feels, and by not putting a label on it, there is also no promise of commitment.

last edited at Feb 19, 2021 3:21PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Now whether Kasumi and Sakurako are in a romantic relationship or not is another matter, which frankly, I don't think they do even with how much I like the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUol5LkDem0

joined Feb 28, 2021

Necessary throat clearing: not trying to continue the "does Kasumi love Sakurako" or "are they in a real relationship" arguments. (Yes, duh!)

That said, trying to come at this through the lens of authorial intent: how much of the ambiguity in the K+S relationship is the story Yukiko (still) wants to be telling, and how much of it is her being locked in by audience expectations at this point?

More particularly, I'm wondering if there are examples of manga - ideally yuri - that's successfully transitioned from multiple volumes of will they/won't they to multiple follow-up volumes of "yep, we're in a serious relationship, and all that follows." I'm wracking my brain, but the vast majority of yuri I can think of ends almost immediately once the relationship is consummated, whether that's a mutual confession, kiss, or sex. (Morinaga's My Cute Little Kitten is damn near the only exception I can think of, and that featured full-on sex within the first five chapters or so...)

last edited at Feb 28, 2021 6:09PM

joined Mar 20, 2021

Necessary throat clearing: not trying to continue the "does Kasumi love Sakurako" or "are they in a real relationship" arguments. (Yes, duh!)

That said, trying to come at this through the lens of authorial intent: how much of the ambiguity in the K+S relationship is the story Yukiko (still) wants to be telling, and how much of it is her being locked in by audience expectations at this point?

More particularly, I'm wondering if there are examples of manga - ideally yuri - that's successfully transitioned from multiple volumes of will they/won't they to multiple follow-up volumes of "yep, we're in a serious relationship, and all that follows." I'm wracking my brain, but the vast majority of yuri I can think of ends almost immediately once the relationship is consummated, whether that's a mutual confession, kiss, or sex. (Morinaga's My Cute Little Kitten is damn near the only exception I can think of, and that featured full-on sex within the first five chapters or so...)

Still sick maybe?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Obligatory Nice comment because chapter 69. Man seven years, time sure fly. It feel like yesterday they were in highschool and now they're months away from being working adults.I hope Yukiko made at least 1 volume about the working adult life.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I wonder what kind of documents they will be requested during their trip when they decide to marry overseas.

Img_20200401_132631
joined Jun 17, 2018

Did they kiss in any chapter?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Nice

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

A couple of times.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Shouko and Seri are my actual favourite relationship. They're more grounded than Sakurako's perfect devotion to Kasumi. Shouko and Seri both pull their own weight and are forwardly supportive of each other. The kind of relationship one wants.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

While it's a nice idea and broadly true, I think if you look hard enough you'll find active thought leaders with reasonably substantial followings in just about any significant fandom. I recently watched She-Ra and found it to be a satisfying if imperfect show. While gleaning around for content, YouTube was sure to recommend me multiple accounts that have made - and are still making, for a show that ended in May - dozens of videos worth of negative content for it. The type that makes you stop and wonder, why is this person investing their time in a show that's clearly not for them, and why is their audience doing the same? RWBY and Korra also seem to be good examples of this from the outside.

Video makers like that are actually gross manipulators that have realized rage sells and gets them captive audience that wants their dose of hate every day. They get money from peddling "funny" angry garbage, that can't really stand up to logic or scrutiny, but their audience is almost completely non-critical towards them, as long as they are saying what the audience wants to hear. It really is disgusting type of safe space.

Then there's also counter-troll video makers that fight with those other video makers, and also make money out of it. Lol...

last edited at Mar 26, 2021 9:13AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

As always, the way to get Kasumi to do anything is food. :D

Img_20200401_132631
joined Jun 17, 2018

A couple of times.

Someone remebers in which chapters?

Okey, I just found one in the 27 c:

last edited at Mar 26, 2021 10:58AM

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Nice.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Shouko and Seri are my actual favourite relationship. They're more grounded than Sakurako's perfect devotion to Kasumi. Shouko and Seri both pull their own weight and are forwardly supportive of each other. The kind of relationship one wants.

Agreed.

This might get me hate, but, personally Ive come to see Sakurako and Kasumi to be the least interesting characters in the story now. The way the author refuses to allow them to change in any major way really hurts their characters in my eyes.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The way the author refuses to allow them to change in any major way

In what way you want them to change ? They're basically a 10yo couple at this point, i don't really see how much you can change anything. Plus the both of them are happy with the current state of their relation, with no labels and such. Just because Yukiko don't give them a big kiss or confession on screen doesn't mean their relation is worse than the others.It's just different.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Their first kiss was technically in chapter twelve when Kasumi yoinked Sakurako’s chocolate out of her mouth.

Second is while drunk off of whiskey chocolates, Sakurako kisses Kasumi at the picnic with their friends.

Then in 36.5 Sakurako licks some yatsuhashi crumbs off of Kasumi’s face while Shouko and Seri are over

Chapter 42.5 Seri and Shouko kiss (although it cuts off before they fully meet)

At the end of chapter 51 Sakurako kisses Kasumi to help her get rid of a kink in her neck

In chapter 53 (one of my favorite chapters) Kasumi kisses Sakurako as a welcome home kind of thing

There are probably more after, or stuff I missed, but I’m tired of searching now so I’m just gonna post as is

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

"No one can really tell the difference when it comes to how chocolate tastes"

Wut.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

I know this isn't really a series about romance, but when chapter 69 just happens to be about valentine's day and there isn't any sweet (or spicy) flirty time it is kinda disappointing.
Time to stop reading, I s'pose. There's just not anything here and at this point I don't think there ever will be

joined Jul 26, 2016

"No one can really tell the difference when it comes to how chocolate tastes"

Wut.

The post was made by the No Tastebuds Gang

To reply you must either login or sign up.