Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Dec 30, 2018

wait what

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This all reads to me like the author had this big long term plan for how these two gradually get together, and in the end they didn't get to make it so they gave us the cliff's notes so that we know what the plan was.

Right, but how long was that Platonic ideal series going to be? As it is we got 38 chapters and a dozen bonus entries, so it’s not like the author was denied the opportunity to tell their story.

If a Uta-Kaoru yuri couple was going to be the endgame, the story had three hurdles to negotiate in regard to Kaoru’s character:

• She was married

• She was straight

• She regarded Uta as a family member

The story spent forever and a day having Uta accept that her love was probably hopeless and in Kaoru deciding that her marriage was unsatisfactory (something readers perceived in the first few pages of Chapter 1).

The story likewise spent zero time on Kaoru considering her sexual orientation, and (arguably) just slightly more in recalibrating her attitude toward Uta. (We got exponentially more explicit development of Uta’s wacky friends than we did about the nature of Kaoru’s feelings toward Uta,)

I also think it’s slightly bizarre that Risako now lives in the building next door (remember, Reiichi seems to live in the same building as his sister and ex-wife).

I suppose the big kiss is such a relief for the shippers assembled that we haven’t had any complaints that the longed-for yuri ending is only achieved by the MCs getting shitfaced drunk.

Img_20210903_230019_067
joined Aug 2, 2020

That's it? The end? I have mixed opinions about this manga as a whole; it's not bad, but it's also not good. It would be better if had less characters, because the idea was very nice.

Too bad I'm a sucker for drama and angst.

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

Over 30 chapters of drama only to end it in a such bland way XD
At least tMnR didn't skip to wedding, to milk this even more in "My Unrequited Love+" lmao

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Adult Uta is smoking hot at least.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 1:12PM

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Yes author-san, this feel-good bonus chapter will make everyone forget how utterly bad the rest of this manga was.

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

Thought it already ended

Anyway, hope we can back with EliUmi doujin like before. I miss her old works

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

It feels like a lot of people in the comment section are out of touch , and have no empathy. Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself. She could have wanted 10 more chapters 10 more books it's still not up to her it's up to her publisher. Yuri is also considered a niche manga genre in Japan as well, and a lot of amazing yuri mangas get axed. The feelings of westerners reading a translated version for free is meaningless as you are giving them no capital for their work and people should honestly just appreciate what they can get and show some respect . But that's just my take.

Your take basically boils down to "bad writing is excusable because of this list of at best tangentially related reasons". Here is the thing, real life circumstances certainly can and do influence the writing quality to an extent, but bad writing is still bad writing and people are free to criticise it as such. A car speeding by you and hitting a puddle splashes you with mud, head to toe. The driver may have had good reasons for speeding, maybe someone in their family had a medical emergency. Fine and dandy, but it does not change the fact you are now covered in mud.

And that is just regarding the publishing aspects you brought up, those are the tangentially related reasons. Your next argument, "you are not paying so you should not criticise", has no relation to anything whatsoever and essentially amounts to "shut up and appreciate this, your opinion is meaningless". I hope you understand this is not going to happen.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

This feels forced and unrealistic.

joined Feb 16, 2021

To me, this is a triumph

Img_20200321_011342
joined Jan 15, 2020

Even though there’s still some plot holes left uncovered, I will still love and support this author whom create such a beautiful series. This bonus chapter is very cute.
Though I still hope for this continue but oh well ( TvT) I appreciate yukiiti sama’s work.
Also, I had hoped there would b an anime adaptation for this but ok ( QvQ)

joined Jun 12, 2015

This bonus chapter is even worse that the final chapter.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Over 30 chapters of drama only to end it in a such bland way XD
At least tMnR didn't skip to wedding, to milk this even more in "My Unrequited Love+" lmao

oooooooooooooooooooooooo lol that was really good

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

I think that for this manga premise was really bad but the exucition was even worse whhhy TMNR is great and I love them but yeah this was really bad. I even didn't read it for the last 1.5 years but looks like nothing changed. And for a manga that run so long and had this many chapters saying that it got axed or it needed more time is not really explains why it was bad. Author really had the time to plan the series and change the story

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

This feels forced and unrealistic.

This.

B61e85481cd305c6139d74d53e7100cf--pixel-ideas
joined Sep 20, 2017

Oh well. At least they have a happy ending :)

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It feels like a doujinshi of the series.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, I have to give it up for my now-departed sometime-sparring-partner Matsuri_wins, who on Oct. 22, 2018, in response to one of my “who the fuck knows where this story is going?” posts, said:

Well...technically at any moment the author can solve the problem by having Kaoru and/or Uta drink a lot and simply make out with each other.

And so it came to pass.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 2:19PM

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

I feel cheated. Label said love was unrequited. This is false advertising.

Kidding aside, I thought this was over so this feels a little out of place. And I didn't really like the previous chapter so it feels disjointed. But whatever, I accept.

76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

damn! this shit sucks! almost as disappointing as the ending of Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku! I enjoyed the soap opera while it lasted, but I feel bad for anyone who expected a good resolution.

joined Jan 15, 2015

It feels like a doujinshi of the series.

Agreed.

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

I honestly would've preferred the series to just end with Uta coming to terms with her unrequited love and Kaoru finding a new purpose in life as single (eventually meeting a man with mutual feelings). Maybe start to work on a voluntary centre or something, help with women who are in stuck in loveless marriages etc. Y'know? Just them going their own separate ways, but still being able to find happiness on their own terms.

As someone mentioned we've gone almost 40! chapters with no inclination towards mutual love. Why not just stick with it and make a good, if not bittersweet ending instead that doesn't compromise on the series' core?

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 2:44PM

joined Sep 13, 2018

seems like the author got shit on by people so there is an extra chapter that gives you the happy ending.

Im still dissapointed but oh well humanity has been restored

kindasortaprivate
Imhomekiss2_500
joined Sep 4, 2019

The story likewise spent zero time on Kaoru considering her sexual orientation, and (arguably) just slightly more in recalibrating her attitude toward Uta. (We got exponentially more explicit development of Uta’s wacky friends than we did about the nature of Kaoru’s feelings toward Uta,)
I suppose the big kiss is such a relief for the shippers assembled that we haven’t had any complaints that the longed-for yuri ending is only achieved by the MCs getting shitfaced drunk.

Yeah, so much for Kaoru's "growth" - she is essentially the same person at the end of the series as she was THIRTY EIGHT chapters / 7 volumes earlier. As for Uta getting drunk, well, who could blame her?

Bb8a9f6b-acc2-4e0f-90f6-d54026cb173e_1_201_a
joined Feb 16, 2021

I felt so completed after this chapter I’m so happy although I wish for a sequel of some sorts I’m still really happy and plan on buying the manga someday

To reply you must either login or sign up.