Forum › Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

I have friends who purportedly[1] did get married for immigration reasons but it seems real now. And others who AFAIK are a marriage of convenience, not even living together.

[1] There may have been performative anti-marriage sentiment. The 'bride' called it selling out.

last edited at Jan 26, 2021 3:27PM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Just imagine if comedies posited unrealistic scenarios as part of their setup—there would be things like one sloppy person and one over-the-top neat freak being roommates, or a male actor disguising himself as a woman to get more acting jobs, or a random group of tourists on a three-hour boat tour being shipwrecked for years on a tropical island. Stuff like that.

It would be so unrealistic.

The horror.

Thank goodness we do not tolerate such barefaced fiction in our comedies.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I can't quite put my finger on this series yet, it's just a couple of people being together but the whole thing feels so bizarre

1011820_10203495624854953_6088973233617870240_n
joined Aug 29, 2019

The last rule of "we are free to break up and pursue other partners" is evidence of a lack of true long-term commitment actively bought-into. Probably the artificiality and conflict in goals is a plot setup for future misunderstandings and necessary clarification of emotional lines.

@NuclearStudent You right, sounds like it WILL be brought up later. I hope at some point they decide to erase that rule once they add romance/love to their relationship... if the author feels like it...
Also I appreciate the comparison with the other serie, it help me to understand a bit more the serie. I just hope that Trying Out Marriage... explores the conflicts, problems, situations, and outcomes that we might not know could happen in this kind of life style.

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

They’re an adorable pair and the credit page is informative and funny as always (thanks scanlators)!

joined Oct 23, 2016

Ruriko is clearly in love with her friend. Hopefully our MC develops feelings for her in the future because how I see it the but we're both women hasn't slipped out at all.
Its just them being friends and being in a platonic marriage, but that doesn't mean feelings wont develop over time. So its not that our MC is straight, its more like, she loves being independent.
I'm sure eventually some drama will rise up and shake the two, but its needed for plot progress.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 4:57PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Thats cheaper than cheap gum

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Omg theyre so freaking cute together Im gonna pass away

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

imo you're either a real couple or you're not. Clean emotional lines save future hurt.

That's certainly an opinion you can have. I'm personally committed to "clean emotional lines" myself

But I've also known any number of "not really a couple/off-and-on as a couple but always together/we prefer to leave it ambiguous/you thought we were together when we weren't but now we are," etc, couples, and the degree of hurt involved, if any, was (mostly) known only to them.

To add to that, if the couple is actually good at communicating, there will be regular reassessments of the current relationship status, with accompanying changes in emotional and behavioral commitment. Granted, communication is hard, and romance fiction is all about lack of it...

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

Hopefully they remove the 5th rule or else it'll just be sad :(

On a different note, those credits are actually really interesting. Thanks scanlator!

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Friends getting married, my bet is the black haired one does actually like blondie and she will in turn realize her own feelings, it better not take long! I like the odd explanations at the end.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

umaibo are great

Agreed. Umaibos are absolutely delish!

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

This manga is the weirdest case of an author wanting to have their will-they-wont-they cake and eating it too. The premise makes no sense.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Man I live for this translator notes. They are so informative

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

going META

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

We finally have a faint doki-doki in chapter 3, when they are talking about family. And in this chapter, instead of having more doki-doki moment, we have ZERO instead.

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

We finally have a faint doki-doki in chapter 3, when they are talking about family. And in this chapter, instead of having more doki-doki moment, we have ZERO instead.

At this rate, I might become anti-fans too.

Screenshot%202020-08-05%20at%209.30.03%20pm
joined Nov 21, 2019

This is just my interpretation, but I think Kurumi is happy with the marriage. She might not be in love with Ruriko the same way Ruriko is with her, but she is just as satisfied with the relationship.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This got pretty meta, unfortunately, it also highlighted how much of an inconsiderate and selfish (unintentionally) bitch Kurumi is.

joined Oct 17, 2015

I find it amusing how many people here and everywhere think of "feelings" as something akin to God's voice and command that occupies a highest position. Instead of what it actually is, a signal that things are fine or not fine.

The concept of living with friends and finding it more fulfilling than being with some kind of mythical chosen one is an ancient idea going back to the examples of, for example, Epicurus and the monasteries that succeeded. Granted, this is not the same thing, but it's interesting how modern society makes all this seem unusual.

Edit: though I do think perhaps this manga could do better if it touched on real issues like the flaws of the Romanticism ideology that forms the modern imagination of relationships and marriages. We'll have to see if it ever gets there.

last edited at Mar 1, 2021 12:24PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

I find it amusing how many people here and everywhere think of "feelings" as something akin to God's voice and command that occupies a highest position. Instead of what it actually is, a signal that things are fine or not fine.

The concept of living with friends and finding it more fulfilling than being with some kind of mythical chosen one is an ancient idea going back to the examples of, for example, Epicurus and the monasteries that succeeded. Granted, this is not the same thing, but it's interesting how modern society makes all this seem unusual.

Edit: though I do think perhaps this manga could do better if it touched on real issues like the flaws of the Romanticism ideology that forms the modern imagination of relationships and marriages. We'll have to see if it ever gets there.

Lol, it's hilarious how smart you think you are. Anyway, ignoring all the silly philosophy about marriage going on in these comments, this manga is just boring.

joined Oct 17, 2015

Lol, it's hilarious how smart you think you are.

Lol. Here's a dumbed-down version: living with friends is OK.

Edit: but also one should be careful of toxic individuals.

last edited at Mar 1, 2021 1:07PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Lol, it's hilarious how smart you think you are. Anyway, ignoring all the silly philosophy about marriage going on in these comments, this manga is just boring.

Eh, I don't think it's boring personally. I know a lot of people on Dynasty are quick to say, "oh these slow burn wholesome stories are so boring", but at the very least I enjoy them.

last edited at Mar 1, 2021 2:59PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

If I was Ruriko, I'd have replied:

"I'm more happy than I've ever been. Which doesn't mean I can't become even happier."

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

Man I live for this translator notes. They are so informative

Ikr their credit pages are amazing!

To reply you must either login or sign up.