Forum › The Nighthawk Drifts About discussion

Fb_img_1519001452689
joined Feb 14, 2018

it's official, i hate the main character because of how indecisive about what she wants to do to the point of cheating just to feel fulfilled in her marriage she doesn't even want in the first place

NamiBlueFeather
Riinu
joined Jun 10, 2019

This is so sad..! This guy is such a dirtbag, even though he's pretty much the same as any ol' average joe. Yukako deserves so much better- this is why we shouldn't marry too soon...! Someone -Not saying the current partner isn't "great" or compatible- but, someone else may be even better out there. You just don't know!
...until you go to your homecoming party and realize your mistakes :(

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

This is so sad..! This guy is such a dirtbag, even though he's pretty much the same as any ol' average joe. Yukako deserves so much better- this is why we shouldn't marry too soon...! Someone -Not saying the current partner isn't "great" or compatible- but, someone else may be even better out there. You just don't know!
...until you go to your homecoming party and realize your mistakes :(

...does she deserve better? She's totally taking advantage of the lingering feelings Chinami has for her, and is even seen briefly relishing in the internal torment she's forced Chinami to expose at the end of the chapter. She seems like a real dirt bag to me, regardless of the circumstances surrounding her marriage. So the husband acts like a stupid bro sometimes. She's basically using him as pure camouflage in the first place, so it bounces off her pretty easily. The crap his mom told her hurt more than anything he seems to say or do because it makes apparent the fact she married to fit in instead of love and is being pressured to manifest that non-existent love in child form. He's small peanuts compared to the deep seated pain she's causing Chinami, and seems to feel no remorse for the actual betrayal she's committing towards both of them.

Chinami dodged a bullet. Hopefully she continues to dodge that bullet and finds someone who doesn't readily considering throwing those she is supposed to love under a bus if it means getting something she wants in the moment.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 5:03PM

I hate you for choosing a man over me and I hate myself for trying to dress like one to chase after you.

That's tough, being and feeling second choice is shit, sometimes makin' you think you have to alter yourself in some way to possibly stand a chance, I wanna give Chinami a hug. Yukako is a twisted ass bitch though, Chinami cryin' bout you should definitely not make you feel loved especially with the situation going on.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I think the best situation here is Yukako gets a divorce and then her and Chinami both go their separate ways. There’s someone better out there for Chinami and Yukako needs to learn how to be honest with herself and choose people she likes to be with.

Img_20200401_132631
joined Jun 17, 2018

Is this the end? Are you kidding me? My life is sad per sé, I just wanted a happy ending. The man was an asshole, the woman an indecisive person that hurted all of them, and Chinami was so much in love and patient that was shattered. So broken that when she finally got what she needed, she couldn't be here anymore for her. And now my mouth tastes like regrets.

In conclusion, it's a very good piece.

joined Jul 21, 2020

I’m actually satisfied with this ending

Screenshot_2021-03-25-02-57-39-917
joined Feb 17, 2019

this chapter literally bodyslammed me

joined Oct 8, 2016

This may not be the final chapter. Chapter 3 also had an [END] tag on the last page so there could be more but this is a decent actual end if this is it.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Chinami made the right choice, props to her. I'm sure it's most likely because she didn't feel truly loved by Yukako and grew tired of being the side chick and less about guilt/morals, but I'll take it (a character actually respects themselves for once, crazy). I'm quite satisfied if it ended like this but I would also be satisfied if Yukako divorces her husband and devotes her love to Chinami, which I hope is what will happen.

joined Nov 21, 2018

All of the chapters have that [END] tag. From chapter 1 I was a little weirded out by how (what I thought was) a one-shot had ended, but per previous posts, there's 6 chapters plus an extra in all.

3818_1775681535988481_4988113658273068935_n
joined Jun 15, 2016

YES!! I wish Chinami didnt go that soft!! Yukako that selfish pricc wtf is that "feeling loved" youre the one who leave Chinami and insist on having NORMAL LIFE WHATSOEVER FF-9182;/;%+2929@?;#+!?????

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

This drama is so painful and good YES i love it

joined Sep 13, 2018

Honestly this series is pretty rough, like I like this sorta concept as I love stories effectively about the post-Class S and heteronormative pressures, but it's hard for me to really feel anything much positive for any of the characters I guess?

Yukako doesn't really have the same hopelessly adrift feel I'd expect from this sorta character, like she seems way too involved in the affair for me to just write it off as that. I don't like, hate her, but beyond feeling bad because of the situation and a bit frustrated over how she acts I don't Feel much for her period. The husband isn't like, The Worst (And I'm not sure where people get the idea that the mangaka is even writing him to be that way), I don't even necessarily get awful vibes from him like a certain husband from Another Series. He's a little bit of a prick with his comments, but he seems to cut it out, he's like just a little less than an average-guy i guess? And Chinami... I dunno, something about her frustrates me, like she's presented as being sympathetic, but she goes out of her way to possibly ruin Yukako's life when she could've just gone never bothered with Yukako and found a nice girlfriend.but instead she goes out of her way to seduce Yukako then is like 'lol nope, hated you'? Like girl, you could've just not gotten involved, but instead you went out of your way to poke at sensitive spots you were sure Yukako wanted to hear and know about. It's one thing to get mad or whatever because Yukako won't commit to you, but it's another to go "Aw wow, aren't you so cute, even this soft stomach of yours is cu- Actually I hated all of it and wanted to make you suffer", especially when it seems like it was her who even goaded Yukako into the whole deal.

And maybe this is just a little personal issue but man the 'And I even dressed like a man for you!' bit kinda annoyed me? Like yeah sure, Chinami's mad Yukako folded to heteronormativity and broke her heart, but there's nowhere that she made it seem like Chinami had to dress more masculine for her, it just feels like a shallow dig at the reasons why lesbians often dress more masculine than het women. >_>

Like at this point I've sunk my costs in it enough that I'm gonna read the last two chapters, but I don't really know what to expect or what I even want with this.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

My feelings after reading this:
like being slapped--tried to avoid it--but then got smacked square in the face. This story is devil-spicy good, burns the mouth but still leaves you with a savory taste.

I say I sympathize with Chinami more than with Yukako. Relish the day of reckoning huh. I would be equally satisfied if Chapter 4 had been the end but I would also love to see Yukako's move here. Would she try to break free from her sham marriage and try to win Chinami back?

I don't know.

All of the chapters have that [END] tag. From chapter 1 I was a little weirded out by how (what I thought was) a one-shot had ended, but per previous posts, there's 6 chapters plus an extra in all.

One way to find out then. Cheers to the author and the scanlators.

joined Oct 27, 2018

And maybe this is just a little personal issue but man the 'And I even dressed like a man for you!' bit kinda annoyed me? Like yeah sure, Chinami's mad Yukako folded to heteronormativity and broke her heart, but there's nowhere that she made it seem like Chinami had to dress more masculine for her, it just feels like a shallow dig at the reasons why lesbians often dress more masculine than het women. >_>

Yeah, the part about clothes is just weird, she isn't even dressing all that masculine, it's just pants, pretty feminine looking pants too. I don't really know what the point is.

last edited at Jan 28, 2021 2:58AM

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

CHINAMI IS BASED AS FUCK
Yukako deserves nothing, indecisive ass, manipulating ass, affair having hoe tbh

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

How is Yukako manipulative? A coward with barely any agency in her life? Sure. But she doesn't really do anything to be considered manipulative.

Chinami probably wants to believe she is being manipulative and shrewd, but she's just desperately trying to get her lover back and jumps between hating Yukako for leaving her and hating herself for being abandoned yet still in love.

I really want to see where it goes - at this point, the ending might land anywhere between murder-suicide and Run Away With Me, Girl.

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

I hold my breath when I read this chapter. It is too angst.

joined Feb 23, 2020

Good for Chinami for getting real and saying what she allways wanted too. Fucking loved that moment. I hope she and Yukako don't get together in the end. I would iike that Yukako starts being honest with herself and finds a happy ending, but not with Chinami. She screwed up on that front, and Chinami deserves somone that actually cares for her.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Impressions so far:

1. Yurako's husband has absolutely ZERO feelings for her. He demeans her intellect, her looks, and her interests. He clearly freaked when she suggested that she go back to work because he thought that meant that she wanted to save money for a family that he totally doesn't want. He would rather go out bar hopping with the guys from work than come home and see his wife, even before she was going out and cheating on him with her ex from high school.

2. Yurako is obviously a lesbian trying to pass in a het relationship, not bisexual. She isn't attracted to her husband, she just chose to suppress her own feelings to conform to societal expectations. This is a common problem in societies structured like Japan's. At this point in her life, if she could go back and get a re-do, she would probably NOT break up with Chinami at graduation. Would they still be together? Probably not... who knows... but she would probably not choose the empty life she has now. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20.

3. Chinami set out to seduce Yurako when she went to the class reunion with the intent of breaking her heart.

4. I'm not a fan of the trying to dress like a man thing, but I don't think it is necessarily something aimed at stereotypical lesbian fashion. I think it's more of an indication of Chinami's lack of understanding of Yurako's actual feelings. She thinks that Yurako is ATTRACTED to men, so she tried to look more like a man when she knew she was going to see her again. Meanwhile, Yurako has NEVER been attracted to men and chose to break up with her and marry a man so she would not disappoint her family and to be the "dependable" daughter everyone expects her to be. That's why, when they're shopping, when Yurako sees a skirt that she thinks would look really good on Chinami there's a moment of "oh, yeah... and the fabric is really nice too..." where they're agreeing, until Chinami remembers that she isn't wearing skirts around Yurako for a REASON and has to squash down on the feelings of both enjoying herself shopping with her old flame and wanting to get a skirt that Yurako would think she would look cute in.

So... now that Chinami has sprung her trap and made Yurako feel the sting of rejection that she felt, I wonder where the story is headed? If I had to guess, I would say that Yurako will probably break up with her husband in the near future and seek employment, most likely with Chinami's company, so she can get in touch with her again using her maiden name and try to start over.

last edited at Jan 28, 2021 12:04PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

People are really prompt at throwing stones at Yukako I see.

Everyone knows that lesbians should be strong and fierce and never waver in front on social pressure...

Otherwise, they are just "trash"

/s

last edited at Jan 28, 2021 1:48PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

People are really prompt at throwing stones at Yukako I see.

Everyone knows that lesbians should be strong and fierce and never waver in front on social pressure...

Otherwise, they are just "trash"

/s

C'mon, you know that the only reason fiction exists is so that people can find upstanding characters to admire and "relate to."

That's why nobody reads Macbeth or plays Grand Theft Auto.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Pack it up boys and girls, the big brains squad has spoken, there is no need to say what you want to say about what happen in the manga because you're all stupid to be upset about fictional characters.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Author-san: And that's a wrap! With this, the story's complete! Whaddya think, gentle readers?

Author-san: Ok, ok, let's keep our cool, I'm gonna write two more chapters rn.

To reply you must either login or sign up.