Forum › The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady discussion

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I am looking forward to Euphie realizing that she has just graduated from being a pawn to being a player. It's like that old joke, "Take out credit, buy a tank. - And what if they send debt collectors? - Who cares? You have a tank." Anise has just basically handed a tank to Euphie and said, you are free to do whatever you want. Euphie is caught up in her own mind's prison at the moment, but the "squirming inside" she feels is basically her dissatisfaction with her old life bubbling its way to the surface, and will hopefully transform into desire for change.

Anise might actually end up building a tank at some point in the series, seeing as she must've learned about them in her previous life. Still, despite the 'Revolution' in the title, I don't think this series is gonna gun for a massive, dramatic war to overthrow the nobility and reform the kingdom like in I Favor the Villainess. I could see Anise's inventions kicking up a stir and uprooting the status quo by mass-producing and increasing access to magical power, removing noble monopolies on magical knowledge and equipment, which in turn would make them strive to seize Anise's innovations instead of letting the benefits filter down to the public.

The series is pretty strongly setting up Euphie as the next ruler, so she might just engineer a coup with a Anise's help

Remember the previous chapters, Anise is already heading towards being the Crown Princess again, she doesnt need a coup unless her Little brother makes one first

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The series is pretty strongly setting up Euphie as the next ruler, so she might just engineer a coup with a Anise's help and become an 'ideal' ruler who wins the trust of the people and gradually democratizes the administration.

Remember the previous chapters, Anise is already heading towards being the Crown Princess again, she doesnt need a coup unless her Little brother makes one first

Right. Both the King and the Duke have said they'd much prefer Anise on the throne and the main thing stopping them is the fact that she explicitly doesn't want to rule. In fact, after the Crown Prince's latest stunt, they're no longer comfortable with leaving him as the heir apparent, in accordance with Anise's wishes.

Similarly, the Duke said that he wants to see the future she's working for become a reality, and the king agreed, so I doubt there'll be much friction vis-à-vis class loyalty on that front. (Though the lesser nobles still might object.)

As for whether Euphie or Anise ultimately gets the crown, I suspect the only way that turns into a fight is if they're fighting to give it to their opposite. Anise wants Euphie at her side, seems to trust her capabilities, and doesn't want to rule. So, if Euphie decides she's the best girl for the job I'd expect Anise to happily agree. At the same time, Anise seems to respect Orphan and her father's judgement, so I'd expect her to be A-OK with following Anise if they pusher her onto the throne, especially with her growing feelings for the princess.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Euphie needs to pick up a hobby. Model kits perhaps? I'd say adventuring work, since it'd help advertise Anise's latest invention (she's like a mad scientist version of Astolfo I love her so much) but I doubt that'd be feasible.

Or she could just become a housewife. That's an option as well. Anise will need a queen after all

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Just make Anise a King and Euphie a Queen. Problem solved.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The series is pretty strongly setting up Euphie as the next ruler, so she might just engineer a coup with a Anise's help and become an 'ideal' ruler who wins the trust of the people and gradually democratizes the administration.

Right. Both the King and the Duke have said they'd much prefer Anise on the throne and the main thing stopping them is the fact that she explicitly doesn't want to rule.

Not even that, her Main objection is a political marriage

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Skywallker posted:

Right. Both the King and the Duke have said they'd much prefer Anise on the throne and the main thing stopping them is the fact that she explicitly doesn't want to rule.

She actually doesn't want to marry a guy.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The fact that the King says she's the one who would hate her ascension to the throne the most makes me think there's more to it than just the marriage thing.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Anne-Sophia doesn't want the throne for a variety of reasons. She doesn't want to marry a guy, she doesn't want to hand the secrets of magicology over to a husband, she doesn't want to lose her freedom, she's utterly terrified of the sort of ruler she could become... etc. Many many things.

The bset option seems to be for Anise and Euphie to become co-rulers. Anne-Sophia will be queen, with Euphie as her consort. The queen will make the big decisions and whatnot, and Euphie will support her and handle the day-to-day stuff the way she's been trained to do for most of her life. That will also help ensure that Anne-Sophia still has free time to pursue her research: another concern she has about ruling.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I hope it doesn't take her too awful long to figure out she's got the Big Gay.

Yuri Is Life Yuri is Love Yuri is Pure
5a0a051701927ccbb1b241fa3ba612f8
joined Jul 27, 2018

Mm yis, making a sword for wife? Or a wand or something. Either way, I approve XD

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

If anyone is jonesin' for some hardcore spoilers, you can find the majority of the story laid out in the comments for chapter 15 of the web novel translation.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 11:36PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

This was a dang good chapter. Love Euphie's character depth

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

There's been a report that there are pages missing from this chapter. Some of us are trying to get in touch with Mistakes Were Made to check on this.

Anyway...

Man, this is an intense look into how badly poor Euphie has been hurt. Her desperation for Anne-Sophia to tell her what to do, to set her back on a clear well-defined path for her life, is truly heartwrenching. Her wounds run far deeper than just the betrayal by Algard: that merely brought them all to the fore.

I really hope Anise can help her heal.

Seeing this chapter makes it a bit more clear to me why some changes were made from the WN. The discussion with Anne-Sophia and Euphie and their fathers about Anise reviving her claim to the throne would have significantly hindered this character growth. To Euphie, that would basically become her new "purpose" preventing her from grasping the freedom that Anise wants to give her. And the reveal of Anne-Sophia's tattoos would also be too soon with this in mind: Euphie isn't in the state of mind right now to declare that she's going to watch over Anise and make sure she doesn't do something like that to herself ever again.

I think taking the time to more deeply explore just how damaged Euphie is and how Anne-Sophia helps her slowly heal from that makes this already very strong series even stronger.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 10:25PM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This series handles ambivalence pretty well- for all the emotions running high this chapter, the underlying theme is a deep, gnawing sense of uncertainty. Characters in a story, whether they're tragic or comic, have a path that they're supposed to take, defined by their circumstances and relationships, shaped by the times. But as an outsider, Anise diverts people from those paths, introducing the values of a different world to the locals. In the long-term, this might save them, but their first impression is always going to be confusion and bewilderment, and Euphie's desperate attempts to fit everything Anise says into her ideals of duty and obligation is an example of that.

The only way for her to adapt is to see the world through Anise's eyes, but that isn't going to be as easy as going from tsun to dere- she'll have to relearn everything, and not via surrender or obedience, but by thinking things over for herself. Anise did give her a second shot at life, but it hasn't come easy, since Euphie also needs to speedrun the developmental process all over again, struggling to forget what she already knows. She's an NPC without a quest, a heroine on an unscripted route, and there's a certain amount of existential dread she has to overcome before realizing that she can do anything.

I love that the series takes the time to explore all this instead of leaping into fun adventures- the first chapter's bottle-rocket pace isn't just a hook for readers, but also shocking for the folks in-story, and everything after that has just been drifting and trying to regain our bearings. It reminds of the last scene in The Graduate, when two runaways on a bus realize that they didn't really have a plan beyond escape, and now need to spend the rest of their lives with each other without even being sure what they want.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 10:38PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is this version more angsty than the WN? I dont recall so much self doubt from Euphie.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 11:35PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

There's been a report that there are pages missing from this chapter. Some of us are trying to get in touch with Mistakes Were Made to check on this.

You can just ping Amarrez on the BUCCI GANG or Jingle Translations (i favor the villainess) discord. Is it just in this version, or the mangadex one as well? I did the upload here and may have missed something, or I can update it when you find out.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 11:42PM

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Absolutely possible. You can just ping Amarrez on the BUCCI GANG discord. Is it just in this version, or the mangadex one as well? I did the upload here and may have missed something

Both versions are the same, so any issue here is on mangadex too. You can see the point where the pages should have been: on page 25, the bottom of the page has clear indication of a time-passing transition, but the next page is just bonus art and the scanlator credits page.

EDIT: News from Amarrez is that he's waiting for the pages to be typeset, then he'll reupload the complete chapter. He's also going to add those pages to the beginning of the next chapter, since people will have missed them.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 11:52PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

This story’s sadder than I was expecting, although going by what comments above me were saying this is a bit of a change from the original novel. Still, I’m into it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

That seemed pretty well-written. I hadn't thought of just how Euphie must feel before but after reading this chapter I can absolutely see how someone like her could end up with so much self-doubt and confusion about how things ended up. Actually feels quite realistic.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Yup- even tho there seems to be more of it than in the WN, I do get what she is going through- since she was small she has been raised to be the queen and focused all her energy and skill on that. When that is suddenly taken away- who is she now and what is she to strive for? Its like she suddenly lost the meaning of her life.

But - and I also thought this about the web novel- she is described as very inteligent and learned and very skilled in combat and magic- but it kind of seems like the author forgot that- and hasnt showed it to us- at least as far as i'd read.

I get she has lost all her focus and certainty- but if she has so many talents and skills, they should for sure start to assert themselves instead of her being so pasive and unsure. She acts more like a helpless puppy just letting life happen around her atm and that doesn't match the desriptions of the strong queen she was being trained as till now.

(I dont mean so much the manga yet but in the WN- even 10+ chapters in, she didnt seem to be displaying much signs of the strong talented woman she was orgionally described as being.)

last edited at Dec 28, 2020 2:02AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

elevown posted:

I get she has lost all her focus and certainty- but if she has so many talents and skills, they should for sure start to assert themselves instead of her being so pasive and unsure. She acts more like a helpless puppy just letting life happen around her atm and that doesn't match the desriptions of the strong queen she was being trained as till now.

(I dont mean so much the manga yet but in the WN- even 10+ chapters in, she didnt seem to be displaying much signs of the strong talented woman she was orgionally described as being.)

Well it's the sort of thing that can take awhile to get through. And a lot of people in a situation like that will try to distract themselves from the overarching problem, which is probably at least somewhat the case here since she can just help out Anise and not have to overthink things. (This is speaking only on the manga so far though, I haven't yet read the web novel so I'm not certain how accurate this actually is.)

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yup- even tho there seems to be more of it than in the WN, I do get what she is going through- since she was small she has been raised to be the queen and focused all her energy and skill on that. When that is suddenly taken away- who is she now and what is she to strive for? Its like she suddenly lost the meaning of her life.

It's worth noting that, even though she was raised to be the queen, she wasn't meant to be the same sort of Queen that Anise would be. She was, essentially, meant to be a tool for royalty: a supremely loyal servant who can be trusted to execute on the actual ruler's desires and continue their line. To a certain extent, a lack of personal ambition and personal direction was ideal.

All of her many talents were meant for someone else's use, but that person no longer has need of her and the only person who could fill their role is telling her to find her own path. That's why we see her internally beginning Anise for a command and despairing at being commanded to freedom.

You say that her talents should assert themselves, but how could they? Perhaps if she was less talented, capable in fewer fields, her strengths might suggest a path forward, but the ability to do anything does not elucidate what you should do.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This series handles ambivalence pretty well- for all the emotions running high this chapter, the underlying theme is a deep, gnawing sense of uncertainty. Characters in a story, whether they're tragic or comic, have a path that they're supposed to take, defined by their circumstances and relationships, shaped by the times. But as an outsider, Anise diverts people from those paths, introducing the values of a different world to the locals. In the long-term, this might save them, but their first impression is always going to be confusion and bewilderment, and Euphie's desperate attempts to fit everything Anise says into her ideals of duty and obligation is an example of that.

While I often agree with you, Kirin, I think you are way off the mark this time. Not about uncertainty -- that much is true, but about the role Anise plays in it and specifically in Euphie's life. Euphie is, indeed, diverted from her predetermined path, but not by Anise, but by the political/marital machinations of her own fiance. I may agree that this merely set Euphie onto another predetermined path, namely, that of fading into obscurity as a dishonored would-be queen (a sad reality for many medieval noblewomen), and Anise is gently pushing her off that track at the moment because it only leads to her destruction, rather than in an effort to impose her value system onto her. The problem is that while Euphie has already realized emotionally what track she is on, she hasn't recognized it on an intellectual level, still clinging to her role as a dutiful servant of the royal family.

Also, am I the only one who found Euphie and particularly Anise's facial expressions in this chapter jarring? Not bad, just unexpected. I think they indicate the hurting both of them experience in regards to Euphie's current situation.

last edited at Dec 28, 2020 3:46AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

While I often agree with you, Kirin, I think you are way off the mark this time. Not about uncertainty -- that much is true, but about the role Anise plays in it and specifically in Euphie's life. Euphie is, indeed, diverted from her predetermined path, but not by Anise, but by the political/marital machinations of her own fiance. I may agree that this merely set Euphie onto another predetermined path, namely, that of fading into obscurity as a dishonored would-be queen (a sad reality for many medieval noblewomen), and Anise is gently pushing her off that track at the moment because it only leads to her destruction, rather than in an effort to impose her value system onto her. The problem is that while Euphie has already realized emotionally what track she is on, she hasn't recognized it on an intellectual level, still clinging to her role as a dutiful servant of the royal family.

I was referring more to Anise's position as someone who's reincarnated from the modern world and has modern values, which she physically can't help expressing. Just as Euphie is defined by her background and saddled with noble values, Anise is influenced by her past life in a modern country and has considerably less respect for the aristocratic way of life than she would if she never regained her memories. Ergo, if Anise wasn't the 'reincarnated princess', the plot wouldn't be anything similar, since her entire obession with magic and her rebellious attitude stem from those memories. This isn't my headcanon- it's explicitly stated.

Anise obviously isn't trying to influence Euphie in a standard otome isekai way, i.e. through knowledge of the world. This is new territory to her, and so she acts on the basis of her own instincts and judgment rather than using videogame knowledge like Rei from I Favor the Villainess. With that being said, her existence is fundamentally atypical and disruptive, because the mechanisms of social control and enculturation that shape everyone's perspectives don't apply to her. She's like what you'd get if you sent a modern scientist or artist into the middle ages- not intentionally manipulative, but different on a fundamental basis. And of course, this influences Euphie, because she's exposed to a democratic, individualist perspective that her upbringing never allowed her to enjoy- not something that comes from a hedonist or a corrupt noble, but from a person who's different in every way. One of them needs to adjust to the other, and of course, Euphie, thanks to her lack of confidence and vulnerable position, will bend to Anise's perspective.

TL;DR- Anise changes Euphie's life by mere virtue of existing in a powerful position where she can assert her (decidedly atypical) will over events.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

A classic case of "It's okay if it's you" aka "the gay cope-out".

To reply you must either login or sign up.