Forum › Yuru Oyako discussion

joined Apr 5, 2020

I'll happily support Taiyaki if the physical copies become available for purchase. I just can't afford to pay $5 a month for 3-5 pages of content which get released irregularly.

joined Nov 14, 2014

Hmm...well it was a fun ride. Wishing the best for Sayaka and Yuki xD

Fuuka%20small
joined Sep 9, 2017

Joking aside I’m actually pretty upset with how the things turned out. Wonder what Taiyaki purpose is with this. If it’s to make more money I’m not sure it’s going to be achieved: people willing to pay were already paying by different means (I for once was and am still subscribed to her paid plan and bought most of 1 x ½ volumes through Amazon). And the ones who didn’t pay will continue to do so and just stop reading her manga. So if her purpose was to make her manga more available for english-able readers it’s definitely not going to be fulfilled since significantly less people going to read it now. Which is pretty sad.

Madokami knows half the reason I continued participating in english release of 1 x 1/2 was because reading peoples reactions and discussions was fun for me and now all that is going to be gone. Yeah, I’m pretty sad indeed... Well at least for that I still have my russian translation which is not going to be “licensed” anytime soon…

I guess I expected her - being self-publishing artist and all - to be much more chill with official English translation eventually uploaded and shared, maybe adopting a webcomic artists strategy with main contest officially shared freely and paying providing access to extra materials and early access to chapters.

Also I feel like a lot of people misunderstanding the situation: Yuru Oyako manga was not “licensed” in the sense of getting publisher and whatnot - it’s still self-publishing. It’s just Goggled Anon is under contract now and it was Taiyaki’s personal decision for paid-only distribution of his translation.

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

Good job! I won't be able to read this anymore cause no income but at least payment for the work and all

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

well i´m also sad but creators deserve to be paid for their work, i wish there could be a platform like webtoon for yuri manga so ppl that can finacially support artists have a easy mean to do it and ppl that can´t, help by reading on the official website or app but i know that probably wont happen

joined Sep 18, 2018

Utterly broke myself so I’m going to join the rest here in saying best wishes and being left unable to read. Good for everyone involved along with those who can still afford it though, I guess. Perhaps one day I might be able to afford a single subscription for even some period of time...

Mona%20done%20jpg%20ppp%20(2)
joined Dec 14, 2020

I really dont think the $3 or whatever is a big deal but what gets me is the frequency of updates and how few pages we get. Best of luck tho!

joined May 25, 2019

Congratulations. Hope this happens more often!

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Tweet from Taiyaki regarding the English version

Yuri Hub will work in pretty much the same way as the Japanese Fanbox, so advanced viewing (ie. the 3-4 page parts as they release) will be on Fanbox while complete chapters will be released on Booth or overseas sites or something... I think? I don't know English very well, so ask Yuri Hub for more information.

tl;dr If you're not a fan of the subscription module, there will be the option to purchase the completed chapters individually elsewhere. Much like Patreon, the former is more about getting rewards for supporting the artist as opposed to just buying stuff, so there's no shame in not going with that option if your budget/multitasking ability doesn't allow for it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Arcanin posted:

Awesome news, it means that thing won't show up here anymore

Don't do this. It adds nothing of value to the discussion and only serves to antagonize other users.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I'll be adding links and relevant info to both the first post in this thread, and the series description in a short time.

Wonder what Taiyaki purpose is with this. If it’s to make more money I’m not sure it’s going to be achieved... the ones who didn’t pay will continue to do so and just stop reading her manga. So if her purpose was to make her manga more available for english-able readers it’s definitely not going to be fulfilled since significantly less people going to read it now. Which is pretty sad.

On the one hand, it's highly unlikely that at any point in the next few years, Taiyaki will reach the amount of English readers as she reached here. On the other, there is hard data - both public and private - which suggests that she will be getting more financial support than before. Paywalls actually are effective at convincing readers to support the artist, given that some portion of the readership will never pay if it is not necessary to consume the content. This seems doubly true, given that Taiyaki really fills this very specific niche.

I guess I expected her - being self-publishing artist and all - to be much more chill with official English translation eventually uploaded and shared, maybe adopting a webcomic artists strategy with main contest officially shared freely and paying providing access to extra materials and early access to chapters.

Unfortunately (for us), the culture in Japan is just so vastly different, I don't see that being a realistic expectation anytime in the near future. Personally, I find it to already be a very surprising step to allow the currently public chapters to remain that way.

Also I feel like a lot of people misunderstanding the situation: Yuru Oyako manga was not “licensed” in the sense of getting publisher and whatnot - it’s still self-publishing. It’s just Goggled Anon is under contract now and it was Taiyaki’s personal decision for paid-only distribution of his translation.

That's true! My apologies for misstating it in the first place.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Tweet from Taiyaki regarding the English version

Yuri Hub will work in pretty much the same way as the Japanese Fanbox, so advanced viewing (ie. the 3-4 page parts as they release) will be on Fanbox while complete chapters will be released on Booth or overseas sites or something... I think? I don't know English very well, so ask Yuri Hub for more information.

tl;dr If you're not a fan of the subscription module, there will be the option to purchase the completed chapters individually elsewhere. Much like Patreon, the former is more about getting rewards for supporting the artist as opposed to just buying stuff, so there's no shame in not going with that option if your budget/multitasking ability doesn't allow for it.

@ Goggled Anon I managed to track down the right place to sign up to the 500yen plan you mention, but im not sure I understand what is being said above- If i subscribed to that I still dont get to read the full released chapters? and have to go to booth and pay there for those too? I've not exactly got much money atm- I dont want to pay 4 quid a month if its not even the full releases..

last edited at Dec 14, 2020 10:25AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

@ Goggled Anon I managed to track down the right place to sign up to the 500yen plan you mention, but im not sure I understand what is being said above- If i subscribed to that I still dont get to read the full released chapters? and have to go to booth and pay there for those too? I've not exactly got much money atm- I dont want to pay 4 quid a month if its not even the full releases..

It's basically the same format from "My Daughter Is..." onwards (Dynasty's chapter numbering still needs to be updated to the official numbers) in which each full-sized chapter is made up of about three parts of about four pages each. If you're subscribed to the Fanbox, you get to read these individual parts as they're released each week. Once a full chapter is completed, it should be available for standalone purchase elsewhere. I'm admitedly not too well informed on the latter, so do ask Yuri Hub if you have specific questions regarding that. Either way, the expected pace should be one full chapter a month, so the options are basically subscribe and read each part as it comes out or wait until the full chapter is available and purchase that in one go. No need to do both.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Ok, got it. But do you know if they only have the current week/months pages on yuri hub or can you read the old ones too? If I miss a month or 2 and then subscribe i'd want to be able to read any i missed.. If you cant do that it would make more sense for me to buy finished chapters.

last edited at Dec 14, 2020 11:11AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

^Ok, got it. But do you know if they only have the current week/months pages on yuri hub or can you read the old ones too? If I miss a month or 2 and then subscribe i'd want to be able to read any i missed..

I believe so. Judging by the Japanese Fanbox, it doesn't look like any of the older chapters are removed after a certain amount of time. As long as it's labelled under the tier you're paying for, you should be able to access it.

Honoka-x-maki
joined Aug 23, 2018

Happy for Goggled Anon and the opportunity they've been given and also very happy that authors and artists are actually able to make some money off their work.

Kaito13
joined Jul 5, 2020

I’m glad for Taiyaki expanding her official market audience. I’m not the kind of person to pay for subscriptions so I’ll wait for the equivalent to volume releases. I do understand the feelings of the people who can’t afford to subscribe to read the newest chapter the second it gets released but I also understand that Taiyaki needs money to live so that’s just how life is.

Akarin%20idk
joined Jan 2, 2017

Congrats, GA. All in all it's pretty great that Taiyaki's been so open to us in the West, and more than anything I'm glad that translators like GA, who come from our own ranks, as it were, are still going to be a part of things moving forward. I'm pretty picky when it comes to subscription-type support, but I think I'll be glad to give Taiyaki what I can.

last edited at Dec 15, 2020 2:54PM

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

If she plans on releasing 1x1/2 there eventually too (she was taking time to redraw it currently, right?) I'll consider chipping in when that happens, since that's my main gig. Would like to support her of course but hey, as others, unfortunately we don't all have stable income available.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

For those who can't afford subscriptions but still want to support the cause, Yuri Hub has begun releasing the English version of previous chapters in pdf format on Booth, with 1-4 available for free. These will likely be added as Taiyaki releases the Japanese versions to other platforms. And even if you're not able to buy, spreading the word is always helpful.

Full disclosure: These chapters (up to 7) are updated versions of the previous scanlated versions, now with commercial-free fonts and a few tweaks to the translation.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Wow, congrats Goggled Anon! What a cool opportunity.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Yuru Oyako ch8-2 up on the Yuri Hub Fanbox. If the English version is following Taiyaki's Japanese plans, the complete chapter will be available for individual purchase at the end of the month (I suspect the other chapters will be available on Booth before then).

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Latest chapter was completely bonkers, Sayaka and Sumika's relationship (imagined or not) is quickly becoming my favorite part of the manga.

Also, I thought Sayaka's ノット海外 rant in English Ch5 now being French was a nice touch.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Here's a freebie for New Year's
https://twitter.com/yuri_hub/status/1345944162252722176

last edited at Jan 3, 2021 11:13PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.