Forum › Who Decided That Blues Had To Be Cool!? discussion

joined Dec 13, 2018

Poor mascot looks like he moonlights in tentacle hentai as a side gig

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Poor mascot looks like he moonlights in tentacle hentai as a side gig

Being a magical girl mascot doesn't pay enough.

last edited at Nov 28, 2020 7:52AM

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

At least it isnt smaragdine.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Disgruntled mahou shoujo not fitting into genre norms is always a nice premise. Also seeing some real potential between Azurite and Ruby. Chapters could stand to be a bit longer, but I guess there's no way around that.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Firstly WHY cant we have some magical girl anime with actual yuri!! :(

And secondly, why is her fairy so creepy lol?

Ichimatsu_kohina_11153
joined Jul 25, 2014

Who Decided That Blues Had To Be Cool!?

Rockman? Though their "Blues" is ironically Red.

I think Azusa civilian form really have the appearance of a Blue character, but the childish personality of a pink (except more brash).

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

This mangaka doing magical girl hates her gig type shit? I'm so fucking down for this...

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Poryu lookin like a Kirby's Boss

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I love the conceit of “magical girl is like a dead-end
job,” and this girl is having second thoughts about her career. For all the ways Magical Girl stuff has been retold for a more adult audience lately, I think this aspect of it as a grueling job is underexplored.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Don't we all want to be Pink, on the inside?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^If i got to be a magical girl I'd want to be pink too so I can relate to this girl :)

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I honestly thought the title was talking about blues like the music genre lol

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

No yuri tag...

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I dunno why, but I really like this artist and their expressions. Makes me chuckle, aside from the content.

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

Firstly WHY cant we have some magical girl anime with actual yuri!! :(

There are a few couples in Precure. Though it's all ~subtext~ some (like Akira x Yukari from KiraKira) are on the level of "there is no heterosexual explanation for this."

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Yup- I think I know all the big subtext magical girl yuri ships out there- and dont get me wrong I love them :) I really love 'The demon girl next door' and really hope s2 will be great :)

But I meant a magical girl show with blatent yuri like in strawberry panic or sakura trick, with kissing and romance and dating etc!

I would kill for a season of precure where 2 of the girls actually became a couple!

last edited at Nov 28, 2020 2:07PM

joined Mar 30, 2017

^ Yup- I think I know all the big subtext magical girl yuri ships out there- and dont get me wrong I love them :) I really love 'The demon girl next door' and really hope s2 will be great :)

But I meant a magical girl show with blatent yuri like in strawberry panic or sakura trick, with kissing and romance and dating etc!

I would kill for a season of precure where 2 of the girls actually became a couple!

The closest I can think of is nanoha, where the two mains are effectively married, sharing a house, a bed and a child. However you never get to see them DO anything,

Edit: of course nanoha is s mech anime in magical girl clothing so it may not count :p

last edited at Nov 28, 2020 2:39PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

LOL!!! Blue wants to be Pink so badly. XD

Fc30b8c18898ba98167bd0db444c72ba-compressed
joined Sep 25, 2020

First time reading the title it reminds me of Idolmaster when every blue is cool and red is cute lol

last edited at Nov 28, 2020 6:10PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Aside from Nanoha and Madoka, isn't there yuri in Yuki Yuna? Also, does Flip Flappers count? They're magical (I think), they transform (sometimes), they fight an evil secret organization, and they have a mascot.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Aside from Nanoha and Madoka, isn't there yuri in Yuki Yuna? Also, does Flip Flappers count? They're magical (I think), they transform (sometimes), they fight an evil secret organization, and they have a mascot.

^ Tougo is canonically gay for Yuna, and the gacha game takes the anime's nascent gayness and turns it up to eleven (there was a mock polyamourous wedding involved at one point). Symphogear also very clearly counts, being descended from Nanoha, and since I've exclusively heard Flip Flappers being classified as yuri before anyone mentions the magical girl stuff, I'd definitely say it counts. MadoHomu is... complicated- in Urobuchi's words, "I don't think it is that special -- a really strong friendship turns into a lovelike-relationship without the sexual attraction, in their case." Whether this is Urobuchi trying to make a valiant effort to represent homoromantic women or just him being physically unable to utter the word 'love' without adding in fifteen caveats is upto readers to decide. The fans, in many cases, very sensibly enforce death of the author and build the subtext into something beautiful, which might even be the intention- many franchises specifically don't make any ships canon so that fans can see all pairings as equal and mix and match to their pleasure (the official term, I believe, is open-pairings vs. closed pairings).

There's a part of me that wants to hope that if same-sex marriage gets legalized in Japan, a ton of the tiptoeing and uncertainty around homosexuality might shift, giving us a flood of canon pairings (in most CGDCT or magical shows, the subtext is already there, so all you'd need is to pen in a confession scene). However, even straight romance in Japan, despite being idealized, normalized and endorsed, is still portrayed pretty conservatively in most het manga, so I'm not very optimistic. Still, even if there isn't an overnight change, we'll probably get a lot more gayness in the next decade, since yuri's profitability as an additive to every genre is becoming increasingly harder to dispute.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Between this and "We are Magical Boys", something about twisting the Magical Girl formula a little is pretty entertaining.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kirin posted:

MadoHomu is... complicated- in Urobuchi's words, "I don't think it is that special -- a really strong friendship turns into a lovelike-relationship without the sexual attraction, in their case." Whether this is Urobuchi trying to make a valiant effort to represent homoromantic women or just him being physically unable to utter the word 'love' without adding in fifteen caveats is upto readers to decide.

I heard he really just mean they're canon. Apparently in third movie they originally planned to blatantly state Homura was in love with Madoka, but felt it'd be too direct and people would be offended they treat them like idiots, so they changed it to be a little more subtle, which if you watched movie imo is still pretty blatant. Homura straight says the reason she was able to pull Madoka back from godhood was because of her intense love, if that isn't straight confirmation, I'm not sure what is. Jokes on them that despite them thinking it was so obvious they had to tone it down a bit, most fans think there's nothing more than strong friendship between them and subtext at best. tl;dr: MadoHomu is canon and you can't convince me otherwise.

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

Kirin posted:

MadoHomu is... complicated- in Urobuchi's words, "I don't think it is that special -- a really strong friendship turns into a lovelike-relationship without the sexual attraction, in their case." Whether this is Urobuchi trying to make a valiant effort to represent homoromantic women or just him being physically unable to utter the word 'love' without adding in fifteen caveats is upto readers to decide.

I heard he really just mean they're canon. Apparently in third movie they originally planned to blatantly state Homura was in love with Madoka, but felt it'd be too direct and people would be offended they treat them like idiots, so they changed it to be a little more subtle, which if you watched movie imo is still pretty blatant. Homura straight says the reason she was able to pull Madoka back from godhood was because of her intense love, if that isn't straight confirmation, I'm not sure what is. Jokes on them that despite them thinking it was so obvious they had to tone it down a bit, most fans think there's nothing more than strong friendship between them and subtext at best. tl;dr: MadoHomu is canon and you can't convince me otherwise.

Ah yes. My favorite quote from the Rebellion:

Homura: "Something you can't understand, Incubator. It is the pinnacle of all human emotion. More passionate than hope, and far deeper than despair...

It's friendship!"

Then Kyubey slapped his own face with his ear flap. Classic scene.

last edited at Nov 29, 2020 8:49AM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Minor thing, but I keep seeing "cos" instead of "'cause" in translations lately. It bugs me a bit more than it probably should...

tl;dr: MadoHomu is canon and you can't convince me otherwise.

And Rebellion ended five minutes before the credits.

To reply you must either login or sign up.