Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

I mean at least can you not leave everything in the fucking shadows? I fucking hate this kind of shit, your long ass angsty drama series might be getting axed but AT LEAST have enough decency to give an ending that doesn't leave things unanswered, holy, fuck. "I'm gonna hold on to my unrequeited love" my ass! Why even have this farce up until now then? They didn't even show Kaoru's face in the end, signifying her really being not important as a character. Ffs

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

Yeah I'm going to need an epilogue, that was not satisfying at all

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

....Meh

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

Uta really deserved better

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

As a few others pointed out, I have no idea why people are so shocked here. I saw this coming from a mile away. I gave up a long time ago pointing out the lacklustre (at best) writing in this series in the face of so many people who resorted to increasingly more extreme mental gymnastics in order to pass the story as somehow being well written.

Or they simply are bad at storytelling and couldn't handle continuing the narrative over longer period.

I'm pretty much on record for this position. I agree that the beginning had a lot of potential, but even early on in the story the signs of dropped threads, poorly structured beats, and more questions than answers were pretty evident.

That "confession cliffhanger" business was a red flag if ever there were one.

I'm going to force myself to limit my "I told you so" posts to a few hundred a day.

Nah, do not limit yourself. Go wild. You earned it.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I'm sure everyone else is angry too but I also just need to vent about this ending

Uta hadn't seen Karou in over a year from the first time skip, and it looked like she has been progressing and was like "my world is so much bigger now" to then turn around and say that yes she was going to hold onto a love that she knew was stupid. A bit of a slap in the face when we've not seen Karou reciprocate (literally the whole point of the manga).

And then to add ANOTHER time skip, which is one pretty sloppy, and two, she is living in the same apartment building as her brother? Wtf ok weird, and then she is just casually living with Karou in some weird open ended unresolved finish? With no idea if she's gotten back into the same rut of playing house with someone who won't ever be romantically interested or if they are actually a couple. I mean I assume they are a couple but the fact that that isn't stated is crappy for one and two is just so unrealistic after reading the manga

Ugh. Vent over

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Uta really deserved better

More like WE deserved better. To end like that after all this time, all that drama for what feels like flat lining...... more like unrequited ending, everyone here is upset about it. If there was a few more chapters I'm sure it could of had a more solid and satisfying ending, TMNR really fucked us pretty hard for the past 4 years and just blew a shitty little load right before we could climax.

Also, I bet Reichi has to hear his little sister and his ex wife/childhood friend hold the hell out of each others hands living right next door to them....

random yuri fan
joined Oct 20, 2020

After all the angst and build up, this payoff is a joke. It feels like the last pages are there to remind this is published on a yuri magazine. I am so disappointed, I feel I wasted time getting engaged with the story. It was good, but this ending is a slap in the face.

joined Aug 29, 2015

I'm not even a fan of this manga and I feel cheated lol. Four years and 36 chapters of yuri angst trope only for it to end ambiguously. Yuri bait at its finest.

joined Jan 14, 2020

The title does have unambiguous yuri in it, as we were reminded. Just not with the main characters. :p

I'll be over here imagining my "Uta seduces Kaoru in high school" fanfic. More entertaining that complaining. :p

joined Dec 13, 2018

Four years of bringing wonderful salt to the yuri community. Bless. 7/10.

0d9c1f8da5c68f44be466e7fdf34f353
joined Jan 13, 2015

Wait wait wait. This one page at the end is everything??? There is at least one chapter missing here. After such a ride the whole thing end just with some timeskip and this coming home thing. Also this coming home thing explains nothing about what their actual relationship is what the fuck.
I know writing a good ending is the hardest part of a story but that is litterally a punch in the face of every fan.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I'm not even a fan of this manga and I feel cheated lol.

"I pirated this shit and still feel ripped off."

Tumblr_inline_nhvrix3pa41suuiq8
joined Feb 16, 2018

I know writing a good ending is the hardest part of a story but that is litterally a punch in the face of every fan.

Its either an ending due to the work being axed, or author got as bored as everyone else with the needless drama and wanted this shit to be done with. Feels awful regardless of the reason but it could also just be a cultural thing. Lots of manga and anime end like this so perhaps Japanese are just fond of this sort of open ending.

As for me, I headcanon that Kaoru is a enjoying her domestic life with Uta getting plowed every night while holding hands.

Matsurimizusawa2
joined Sep 27, 2020

1). "I'm back."
Okay so I'm guessing Uta's visited Kaoru a couple of times? But she says she hasn't seen Kaoru in over a year now... I'm confused honestly.
2). I feel it deviated from the "show, don't tell" pattern I've seen in the past volumes. On the other hand, if it's the case, it's understandable. This is the way the author probably wants to end it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have no problems with open endings, but do it in a way you can actually connect the dots in the end? This story has ended, however, the big mystery are not the unsolved conflicts nor the plot holes, but the status of Uta-Trashoru's relationship, some have interpreted they are together, I personally don't think they are, but give us a hint? Like Uta wearing a ring or a ring holder necklace, or at their doorstep, like a newly-wed thing of sorts, I dunno, any hint even if it is to confirm otherwise, but to end it like this you disrespect every reader who stayed for the ride these past 4 years

She is wearing a necklace in the last scene. It looks a bit like it could be the one Kaoru gave her:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#21
if so I guess it would be a bit significant, but we don't get a close enough look to be sure (its shape is not much more than round blob with cutout).

It is definitely not the same necklace as in Chapter 1. Same basic shape, but different orientation (open at the top in Chap. 1, open to the side in last chapter; with a small gem in Chap. 1, and some kind of blob in the last).

joined Feb 14, 2019

I have no problems with open endings, but do it in a way you can actually connect the dots in the end? This story has ended, however, the big mystery are not the unsolved conflicts nor the plot holes, but the status of Uta-Trashoru's relationship, some have interpreted they are together, I personally don't think they are, but give us a hint? Like Uta wearing a ring or a ring holder necklace, or at their doorstep, like a newly-wed thing of sorts, I dunno, any hint even if it is to confirm otherwise, but to end it like this you disrespect every reader who stayed for the ride these past 4 years

She is wearing a necklace in the last scene. It looks a bit like it could be the one Kaoru gave her:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#21
if so I guess it would be a bit significant, but we don't get a close enough look to be sure (its shape is not much more than round blob with cutout).

It is definitely not the same necklace as in Chapter 1. Same basic shape, but different orientation (open at the top in Chap. 1, open to the side in last chapter; with a small gem in Chap. 1, and some kind of blob in the last).

Yes I think it is also too small, having found another image of the original where there is some better size references... but thinking about it, it totally should have been that necklace, another casualty of rushed/sloppy writing, I suppose.

Screenshot_2021-03-25-02-57-39-917
joined Feb 17, 2019

Not satisfied enough :<

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

random posted:

> putting a \ in front is the off switch for the code, as per the formatting guide pinned on top of the forum

Oh, it was ages since I read that thread, so I totally forgot you could do it. Thanks.

Blastaar posted:

to be honest, and I might be the only one here, but instead moving to live with Trashoru again (like no growth whatsoever, right?!), I wanted Uta to moved on completely

I’ve got to agree, and I believe several people here made that argument, especially as the chapters wound down to the end and Kaoru still showed not the slightest evidence of being sexually attracted to women generally nor to Uta in particular.

I was saying that's what series should have been from the start.

Valkiria2
joined Jul 13, 2020

Here a theory:
When Kaoru says "But out there's still someone who loves me for who i am", whit a blushed face. She's talking about Uta, right? Kaoru says that she need to "stand on her own feets". Maybe she's talking about that she needs to live on her own to feel ready to start again.
Now, let's go to the Uta's part: She says that her world used to be narrow and felt stupid for falling in love within limited boundaries. Maybe (again maybe) she's talking about that she need to grow up and make her world bigger to make sure that her love is real and not just a "I love her because I am a lesbian girl and she is the only older woman reference that I know".
Maybe (yeah, maybe again) the both of them are talking about that they need time to clear therselves, grow up and leave the past out and finally built a real relationship.
This facts could make logical the skip-time to finally show them together, building a healthy relationship.
But is just a theory. I don't even know if this bullshit can be called "open end", because doesn't even look like an end. Is just "let's make a skip-time, some reflections and let the readers make the rest".
Writer lesson for beginers: Just putting "end" on the last page doesn't mean as ending for a story, you got to close the arcs that you opened yourself.

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

to be honest, and I might be the only one here, but instead moving to live with Trashoru again (like no growth whatsoever, right?!), I wanted Uta to moved on completely, and actually dated someone else (like Sayaka in Bloom Into You - we only learned later on she was dating someone else), that would mean something to me. Like I tried and did my best, but you know what? Sometimes in life you just gotta learn to move on, that would be more meaningful to me, this resolution right here, alongside the several plot holes/unsolved conflicts, ain't it!

This. It would have made a lot more sense and a better story if Uta just moved on...

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

Uta is wearing the necklace Kaoru gave her, they're together I think. Could be me just being hopeful but she said she won't give up on her love, idk about you guys but I wouldn't live with someone that doesn't love me back and I'm sure mature Uta wouldn't either.

joined Mar 1, 2018

Wut.... Not tryin to be ungrateful but, is that it ??

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Uta is wearing the necklace Kaoru gave her, they're together I think.

Seriously, that is not the same necklace.

I

As circamoore says, for recurrent-motif purposes it ought to be the same necklace, and readers are welcome to create headcanon saying that Kaoru has continued to make artisanal bling for what is now her little sweetie bedmate (or whatever the fuck we prefer to imagine).

But, as ever, we're left with the question of whether we're supposed make something of this detail or not, and if so, what.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 10:28AM

Uta is wearing the necklace Kaoru gave her, they're together I think.

Seriously, that is not the same necklace.

I

Lookin like a bootleg version of it

Edit: What if the author forgot what the orginal necklace looked like so she drew that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, cuz they do look similar and well I doubt she'd go back and look at it.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 10:32AM by

To reply you must either login or sign up.