Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Haaaah, some things never change, huh Shimamura? Your mother is still a kind-hearted jerk and Yashiro is as mysterious as ever. And of course Adachi will always be Adachi. Lol.

That was certainly not how I expected Volume 8 to start (I thought we might get to see Tarumi's thoughts and feelings or maybe the Library Girl again), but damn, that was very heart-warming to read. Still, I hope we get to see this school trip, I mean that just HAS to be entertaining, especially considering Adachi being still Adachi lol and Shimamura being kind of more self-conscious. But either way I'm STILL excited for new chapters (and even for the side stories) even after more than thousands of pages so far lol. Just goes to show how amazing Adachi To Shimamura really is that it just keeps ya hooked for so long!
But I'm sad, that we didn't get to see old Adache (great name lol) together with Shimamura in an illustration or something. That would have been epicly epic.

Thanks to the team for giving us this great thing so quickly after the end of Volume 7! Really appreciate it!

last edited at Jul 26, 2020 6:58PM

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

I for one emphatically do not consider flash-forwards to AdaShima being adorable and domestic and nostalgic to be anything resembling "filler" - that shit is very much The Reason I Am Here lol

Yeah, me too. It's addictive haha.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

There's also another very important line that raises this above anything even remotely filler-like, and that's Yashiro's "[Meeting Adachi] always marks the moment when you begin to change, Shimamura.”

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

There she is. Cool and calm Adachi. Yeah!

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

There she is. Cool and calm Adachi. Yeah!

Even better, she is cool and calm with a sprinkle of the awkward, dorky Adachi we all love. Shima truly has the perfect girlfriend now, you lucky girl.

Just want to say that people in the bay area do actually call San Francisco "Frisco", that or San Fran. Also, just wanted to point out that San Fran is a perfect place to visit for these two since it's basically the unofficial gay capital of the U.S.

I was disappointed by the lack of lovey doveyness from these two at the apartment and I can't be the only one that was waiting for that goodbye kiss only for it to not happen (sigh). My guess is that Iruma sensei wants to hold off because their first true kiss will probably happen during the school trip.

Lastly, and as always, thank you Sneik and team for all the hard work you guys put in.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Heartwarming chapter. Really showcased the change Shima's undergone as well as the movement of life, even though nothing happens here besides her visiting her family, which is an amazing feat of writing. I almost cried when she said she was going to stop her mom from glomping her until she noticed that her mom's arms were thinner. I could feel just how deeply they love and care for each other, despite their awkward interactions.

I love that cool, calm Adachi is back on the surface. When she stuttered while asking what color the underwear was, I laughed at how her awkward, embarrassing self was still there.

Also got my wish and prediction of seeing more Yashiro. I knew she was crucial to the story in some way. As to why she is the one who makes this particular story the main timeline, that's unexplained if interesting to speculate on.

I guess a romantic Shou x Yashiro pairing may or may not actually happen lol. Yashiro seems to be too pure and alien for that.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

/chortles in QC

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

How fast are you people going? Never expected we'd start getting volume 8 before August.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Looking at sneik's site, it's been pretty constantly about two to two and a half months per volume.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

How fast are you people going? Never expected we'd start getting volume 8 before August.

I mean, we can slow down if you want?

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

I was disappointed by the lack of lovey doveyness from these two at the apartment

What you mean? They were flirting the whole time.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I mean, we can slow down if you want?

No, by all means keep it up, you're about to earn some well-deserved rest while we all despair about having caught up.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Its gonna be too sad reading this one chapter at a time, imma wait for the whole volume to drop to be able to savor every page.

BlueStallion44
joined Aug 29, 2016

Hmm. Okay I definitely skipped Vol 3 and 4 of this series because I wanted to get to wherever the confession was. I had been reading both the novel, the moke version, and the original manga with Iruma and Mani. That one didn’t go anywhere but the moke version seemed to try to follow with the novel.

I get that we’ve slowly been introduced to Shimamura’s dreams but then she awakes. The stuff with aliens gave it away. But after reading comments, are we supposed to take those stories as like “alternate realities” to demonstrate fate? If they were dreams, then the “fate” argument doesn’t really apply.
But what about these 27 year old girls? Has this happened before? Time skips? Is this what age they actually are and all the previously volumes were recollections? I wanted more of the high school days, so I’m just confused between the dreams, and high school, and the 10 year skip (unless it’s a dream). Also are we definitely gonna see Yashiro as like just the random unexplainable child who seems to not age and know what to say and appears randomly with no one asking questions? Should this have a supernatural tag or is there an explanation?

I just want Adachi and Shimamura to kiissssssssss.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

The dreams are just that: dreams. I believe their role is merely to function as a tool of exposition so we can get a better look at what Shimamura is thinking and how her thinking is changing without requiring major plotlines.

The "alternate universe" stories, with Shima and Adachi being in kindergarten together, the two OL that meet in the subway, or the one about aliens, etc, are just there to show that Adachi and Shimamura are always destined to meet regardless of storyline/universe--just like Yashiro says. And while Yashiro flat out takes credit for this timeline's origin and outcome, it implies also that she's legit super-meta and due to being an alien she has the capability to see all those AU and know what's what.

The start of this latest chapter with them taking a trip overseas is a legit time skip to where they are both 27ish and living together. Kind of a neat way to lead into the school trip together arc, and I believe the trip overseas is to honor the promise to go overseas together one day that we've already seen quoted in the color art for this volume; which makes me assume it's something that will also happen at some point in this volume itself.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I just want Adachi and Shimamura to kiissssssssss.

As we all do.

Av
joined May 25, 2015

Was it really trivial? Was it all without a point?
Perhaps.

I just loved these lines so much; asking leading questions all like "hey maybe something interesting happened eh? Wink wink nudge nudge... Hm, no it actually was pretty normal in the grand scheme of things."

I really love just how subtle yet impactful this writing is. Shimamura noticing her mother's aging by just a quick glance at her arms really got to me.

Also, giddy Shimamura is precious; we got to see her after Adachi's confession and now we know she's become more self-aware/honest with herself and it was a delight to read.

joined Mar 20, 2020

I just finished volume 1 and caught up to the moke version of the manga, and I decided to look through AdaShima forums.

I was wondering why so many people at /u/ and /a/ say that Adachi is autistic or something? I think the way she thinks is pretty normal for someone who's still in the process of figuring out they're gay. There seems to be a lot more love for Shima.

I think they're both very likable characters.

last edited at Aug 2, 2020 2:54PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Even this thread went into an "is Adachi autistic?" discussion at one point. Personally speaking I don't think her social issues stem much from figuring out that she's gay, they're a lot more deep-seated and rooted in her difficulty of interacting with others in general. Same for Shimamura, there's been very little internal struggle about them both being girls, she just doesn't like being bothered.

joined Aug 19, 2019

I can never forget how surprised I was when volume 8 opened with 27-year old adashima. Whatever doubts I had for their relationship after volume 7 were gone.
I remember people making their own version of Adachi's ketchup udon on twitter lol.

While volume 7 was about fate, volume 8 is about the future/moving forward. I think it's understandable why some readers here are weirded out by the first chapter. However, this chapter is not random or just a "brief look on future adashima", as clearly hinted by the last few pages of the chapter.
Another thing is, I hope readers keep in mind that this is being translated mostly chapter by chapter and not the whole volume so please don't jump into conclusions about the volume just from reading the first chapter or the chapter list.

Also... Why is no one talking about how Adachi is smiling on the cover?? They both look calm and comfortable together.

Kazami%20yuuka3
joined Aug 6, 2017

This chapter confirms Yashiro ships Shimamura x Adachi.

joined Aug 19, 2019

It's confirmed that volume 9 will be released in October.
....but there are speculations that Non will no longer illustrate for the Adashima LNs. I was expecting this news since Non quitted drawing cute girls, but still I'm very sad about the news if it turns out true.

joined Jan 25, 2017

It's confirmed that volume 9 will be released in October.
....but there are speculations that Non will no longer illustrate for the Adashima LNs. I was expecting this news since Non quitted drawing cute girls, but still I'm very sad about the news if it turns out true.

Got a source? Both for the release date and for Non taking a break?

joined Aug 19, 2019

The source is from dengeki bunko: https://imgur.com/a/VgSLuzt (I highlighted in yellow). About Non, the speculations come from that it was stated that she was the original character designer abd only that. Whereas, in previous volumes it used to say "illustrator: Non"

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

That would be quite a shame, but to be honest I care more that it's releasing soon. It's not like a manga where the art is a vital part of the experience, in a novel they're more like a nice bonus.

To reply you must either login or sign up.