Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Oh you're right, she's been gay so long that specific paragraph just slipped my mind lol, you're right bud that line does make it seem like she struggled with that a bit, damn good call.

Indeed at the very start she does seem to have been a bit worried about both of them being girls, but well as Shimamura always says her straightforwardness just let her forget it when she accepted she was in love I guess.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 9:18PM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

God I wanted to wanted to wait for the full volume before reading but I just couldn't hold myself back, everyone had been saying vol 8 was good and that it was their favorite and my God they weren't wrong this volume opens up so strong with these 2 chapters that it's also probably gonna end up being my favorite, sorry vol 6.

Err just some points I really liked, wall of text guys sorry I just have to gush about how much I liked it and I can only do it here lol none of my rl friends like light novels or Yuri for that matter.

-Showing us their future together, a rare occurrence for sure since most series end on just right after the relationship forms or when they've just dated for a bit so a whole 10 years into the future and seeing how they're doing was great, I'm not a fan of how much the author dicks around at times with the different timelines and what ifs since it feels like it's just some wasted time but this one was real good, helps that it's directly tied to the story not some weird stuff.

-Fortune teller lady, though she might be shady I like how she's helped out Adachi every time we've seen them together, and well it's what Adachi needs someone to talk to and bounce of ideas with, I know we joke about how "crazy" some of Adachi's ideas and actions are but it's just that she really is just experiencing relationships now and doesn't know how to do a lot of basic social stuff, doesn't help she doesn't want to get other friends and is satisfied with Shima but she needs help to learn about how to interact with others and what's normal but she can't ask Shima cuz there's be no point then, lol quite a conundrum.

-Shimamura and how she's been slowly noticing Adachi more and more as a girlfriend, and this is even if she's not quite sure if she's doing a good job as a girlfriend, the number of times Shima looks at Adachi and thinks "how cute" or "she's adorable" is staggering coming from Shima and how she had been till now, also how she handled Adachi's pouting and told her to just enjoy the trip was real nice what a mature moment, also how she's just looking out for Adachi Ina girlfriend type of way now.

-Shima needing to decide if Adachi is all she needs and openly showing their relationship, tbh it was quite painful reading how much she's troubled what others might think of their love and still not being sure how much she wants to show, but at the same time it's pretty darn interesting seeing her come to a decision, Adachi as always is in Dreamland and she's fully accepted the Yuri thing, doesn't even care about it, but seeing Shima worry is interesting, looking forward to how that will go down now that they're being so affectionate and Sancho's de Los Pancho's are unto them.

-The bath scene, my God that was just ... Nice lol Shima wanting to not think about it too much but then just going all out asking what Adachi wants to do, letting her check her out, looking at Adachi plenty herself, welp I know that it was already known Shima is into girls since she accepted Adachi's confession and has been saying how good Adachi looks since vol 1 but this really drove home that Shima appreciates a beautiful body as much as any man of culture out there lol and wanting to ask what Adachi thought of her body, ahhh some real first relationship type of stuff there being all self conscious about every little thing, seeing your partner naked is a big thing and Shima handled it as well as you'd think, and it was somehow great that even though it's usually Adachi moving things forward, this time it was Shima who was just straight as an arrow "do you want to see", my God Shima I love you so much lol.

-Going to sleep while holding hands, it was wholesome af and made a nice contrast after what had just happened in the bath lol.

Overall every volume this series just continues to improve and I just end up loving it more, it's truly become my favorite Yuri series and favorite romance as well.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 11:44PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah Adachi struggles a good bit with The Gay in the earlier volumes. She repeatedly tries to justify how she's not actually Like That, and then she's got a long period where she hasn't fully admitted it to herself, but she mostly worries about if Shimamura will hate her if she finds out. She mostly kinda decides that well, she doesn't know about the big picture, but she knows she likes Shimamura and she wants her to like her back. But she regularly backtracks at random depending on how anxious she is about things. Until Shimamura drags the girlfriend word out of her I dont think Adachi is ever willing to actually think it, she just thinks how well it'd be cool if they were super duper best friends who go on dates and y'know maybe shimamura might randomly try to kiss her someday.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yeah I recently re-read the books but it was only from vol 4 up, guess that's why I kind of forgot how Adachi was pretty in denial at first about bit being Like That as you said.

lol that last part sounds pretty Adachi, indeed she was just hoping they'd be especially good friends that will always be together and just maybe have a kiss here or there, but well it is due to her anxiety about what Shimamura will do when she sees just how Adachi sees her.

That's an interesting point as well up to the confession scene it's Shima that has to drag the words "I want to go out with you/be my girlfriend" out of Adachi, even if she had realized she loved Shima and wanted to tell her, she never really fantasised about Shima being her gf, guess it's her pessimism at work ? Not even thinking about it cuz she's be too sad if it all went to hell ?

joined Aug 19, 2019

It turns out the rumors were true. Non will no longer illustrate for Adashima. This news was confirmed by Iruma's blogpost few days ago and today by Dengeki Bunko.

This is the cover of volume 9: https://twitter.com/bunko_dengeki/status/1303247738864193536?s=19

Volume 9 and Volume 2 (Moke ver.) will be released in October 10th.

last edited at Sep 8, 2020 4:49PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

I.....don't like that cover at ALL lmao

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

This is sad. :(
What happened to Non anyway?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Those are some pretty weird looking faces...

And why would you have Hibiki and Miku on an AdaShima cover anyway?

last edited at Sep 8, 2020 11:32AM

20210117_162235_copy_326x400
joined Aug 19, 2020

Lmao yeah looking at a second time I don't like it and I really gotta wonder why they decided to go with that, I really hope they playin, they're probably not, I guess that is it.. They coulda used the artist from the Kokoro Connect series, their art was pretty similar to Non's or ya'kno just not that.

last edited at Sep 8, 2020 1:44PM

joined Aug 19, 2019

I just want to clarify something in case it wasn't clear. The volume cover they chose is a reused promotional anime artwork.

What I find weird is that Dengeki was aware of Non's departure for over a year now. You'd think they would've already found a new illustrator. I mean, they could've asked Moke since she already works in the magazine. Moke is an illustrator before she was a mangaka.

But all of this could be for anime promotional reasons and they'll find a new illustrator in future volumes.

Also I wonder if the chapter illustrations will use different artists. That would be interesting.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

They coulda used the artist from the Kokoro Connect series, their art was pretty similar to Non's or ya'kno just not that.

Oh yeah. Whitefish would be good.
Or Moke. Moke is good i think.

20210117_162235_copy_326x400
joined Aug 19, 2020

They coulda used the artist from the Kokoro Connect series, their art was pretty similar to Non's or ya'kno just not that.

Oh yeah. Whitefish would be good.
Or Moke. Moke is good i think.

Eh, Idk about Moke, but I would definitely take Moke over this tbh if we can't get anyone else.

joined Jul 13, 2014

But all of this could be for anime promotional reasons and they'll find a new illustrator in future volumes.

That might explained why Shimamura's hair is blonde again.

The mediocre art aside, I'm glad a new volume would come out next month.
Cheers!

Bruh. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's mediocre.

I'm sorry that I made you think it that way. Now that I think about it the artist loves AdaShima as well to be working on this series.

last edited at Sep 9, 2020 3:09AM

Minami
joined Jun 25, 2019

The mediocre art aside

Bruh. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's mediocre.

joined Jan 19, 2017

...does any reader still truly think Yashiro is a weird normal girl with blue hair? It's been clear from the moment she was introduced that she is an alien and does not adhere to our human logic when it comes to her appearance and body. Her and her brethren literally mold themselves into something that looks like a human.

Chapter two was looooooooong. Am glad I waited to read it. It's a little painful seeing Shima having thoughts like meeting with Tarumi is similar to cheating, because of how protective Adachi is. I hope that'll be resolved relatively soon. Oh and I also hope Shima will start letting her guard down more around Adachi. They're not 'normal' people by any stretch, but having to keep secrets and hide what you're feeling that often has to be tiring.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Finally got caught up to this again. I don't do it on purpose, but I constantly let chapters pile up and then take days to months to catch up again. I hope to learn to read each chapter little by little in the days after it's translated.

Also I recently found out the illustrator for this is the same one as for Chuunibyou.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I wonder if Hino and Nagafuji will ever explicitly start dating like Adachi and Shimamura or if they'll just keep their status quo. With the way they're written I think it would be fairly simple to have them start dating without having to dedicate a lot of screentime to building it up, for instance they could find out about Adachi and Shimamura, start talking about them, Nagafuji could mention that it's just like their own relationship, Hino could mull over it for a bit and agree.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

More lesbians in baths, and Hino's breast envy.

As long as we were together. - Ah, the younger Shimamura is great as well. ^_^

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Non isn’t active as an illustrator anymore. Anyway, i still love Non’s art.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Holy shit I really hope that isn't the art they're going with, kind of reminds me of the style from a 90s-early 2000s manga and well I've never quite liked that style.

Noooooo lol that makes me quite sad actually please let it change.

Ehhh tbh I kind of don't care much for Nagafuji and Hino like sure they're there but I don't really care too much about them, is that just me ? Like I feel like all their chapters could be used on giving us more AdaShima lol .... Well I don't dislike them I guess though and they are the only ones atm Adachi kind of gets along with so if they also start going out we can have double dates so there's that, but no wait Adachi would hate that right ? ......

Shima feels that's she's cheating on Adachi just by meeting someone, indeed that's a bit extreme but I feel like Adachi's jealousy will calm down quite a bit now that they're dating and that she'll get the attention she's always wanted and a proper human connection with someone, Shima just has to guide her, it's clear Adachi is starting to think now that indeed shes going overboard and also about not just making herself but also shima happy, what a cutie.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I liked the cover of volume 2 of Moke's manga more. But non is still the best.

https://mobile.twitter.com/moke14/status/1303557811373142016

last edited at Sep 9, 2020 8:10AM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Non isn’t active as an illustrator anymore. Anyway, i still love Non’s art.

That's really sad. She quit now of all times when there is an anime adaptation, which will build more hype for the series.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Wait, Non left? Who replaced her?

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I liked the cover of volume 2 of Moke's manga more. But non is still the best.

https://mobile.twitter.com/moke14/status/1303557811373142016

Hey that's pretty good.

I hope she takes over the art.

Venatto-1326362057797611520-20201111_031211-img4
joined Jun 27, 2014

Not sure what happened, but non nuked their Pixiv account recently, and their Twitter account is completely empty. Does anyone have a link to Iruma's blogpost that talked about it?

To reply you must either login or sign up.