Forum › Our Too-Long Night discussion

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Cute, but does that mean Mikumo was dunking on herself when Kanon described her ex-lover?

last edited at Jul 8, 2020 11:34AM

joined Jul 29, 2019

well at least this looks normal and I love how she can move on. Kinda confusing if read it once

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I don't think Kanon and Mikumo are exes, Mikumo just rejected Kanon's confession. Mikumo's ex is her unnamed senpai who got married.

last edited at Jul 8, 2020 12:21PM

Nyarumi Uploader
Nyarura%20smaller
Secret Society Blanket
joined Feb 3, 2019

My apologies for the typos, those will be fixed as soon as I have access to my computer again. -Nyarumi

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I don't think Kanon and Mikumo are exes, Mikumo just rejected Kanon's confession. Mikumo's ex is her unnamed senpai who got married.

That’s how I read that too. I’m also pretty sure that Mikumo rejected Kanon’s confession specifically because her senpai dumped her so harshly. She was basically rejecting Kanon before she could get rejected herself.

joined Jul 23, 2017

Ugh why is so confusing to read! Can anyone give me insights of what really happened?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Overall, I really like the artwork in this story, particularly Mikumo's face on page 141. There's a lot of emotion going on there. Kanon's old appearance is also pretty cool in general. That said, there were a few panels where it was hard to tell who was saying what, which isn't great. The actual plot relies on pretty old themes of getting hurt, recoiling from future experiences to avoid similar pains, and having to move on form those initial manipulative responses to actually heal and lead a better life. That's not necessarily a bad things, and the author does put their own twist on the theme, but something feels off and I'm not sure what. Part of me thinks this piece would have been better with a bit more content and time to pace things out, but at the same time, I can't think of anything author could have added that would have meaningfully contributed. They actually crammed a fairly substantial amount of story telling into a relatively small amount of space.

well at least this looks normal and I love how she can move on. Kinda confusing if read it once

If I understood things properly, then the order of events goes Mikumo got dumped (harshly) by her unnamed senpai after a one night stand > Mikumo's kouhai (Kanon) confessed to her > Mikumo rejects Kanon and refuses to believe her confession is real > Mikumo's senpai gets married and invites her to the ceremony > Mikumo gets drunk at the after party and then continues drinking at the bar > Kanon approaches Mikumo at the bar and Mikumo does not recognize her > The two start drinking together and are eventually able to convey their feelings properly.

I'm not entirely sure if Kanon's past lover is an oblique reference to Mikumo or some unnamed character. I could see Kanon interpreting her response and general habit of fruitless flirting as Mikumo not really being interested in her, so much as the girls around her, particularly if she's from the same circle as Mikumo's senpai. The heavy drinking certainly fits Mikumo and the "bad judge of character" echos how she responded to Kanon's original confession. While I don't think they were ever dating or having sex, Kanon was definitely in love with her and the rest of it's a close enough fit Mikumo. The vagueness and misleading wording could be down to her wanting Mikumo to recognize her on her own and not wanting to give her hints.

At the same time, she clearly has changed quite a bit since they last left and, unlike Mikumo, does not seem to have been wallowing in self pity, so it's perfectly possible that she found another lover and, as Mikumo predicted, her judgement was bad.

Either way, the faces she makes in response to some of Mukumo's statements make a lot more sense the second time around. She's not just getting annoyed at an obnoxious drunk, so much as recalling their last interaction.

last edited at Jul 8, 2020 2:29PM

joined May 20, 2013

Cute, but does that mean Mikumo was dunking on herself when Kanon described her ex-lover?

I don't think Kanon was referring to Mikumo as her (ex-)lover. Though the drinking training might've been their activities together (Drunkanon), or what she has been doing since the rejection. On the other hand, since the gender is unclear, it may had been a guy, which in turn could be another reason why Mikumo projected her senpai's intentions onto Kanon when she confessed...

last edited at Jul 9, 2020 12:06AM

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

Mildly unrelated, but I always find it interesting how natural smoking is still seen in Japan, heck some probably still think it's looks cool to smoke even compared to most Western countries that have (rightfully) stigmatized smoking and are rapidly moving away from it being a mainstream thing.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Aww they got together~

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Is the story telling absolutely terrible or is this just a poor translation, because this was way too convoluted than it needed to be

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

My only issue is that the end is too sudden. Like Mikumo realizes it’s Kanon and it just immediately rushes to the end. You only assume anything was resolved because they’re pictures together happily on the last page but it’s like nothing even happened.

joined Feb 21, 2019

Mildly unrelated, but I always find it interesting how natural smoking is still seen in Japan, heck some probably still think it's looks cool to smoke even compared to most Western countries that have (rightfully) stigmatized smoking and are rapidly moving away from it being a mainstream thing.

Smoking is still seen as natural in the US, at least in the restaurant industry

joined Feb 21, 2019

Is the story telling absolutely terrible or is this just a poor translation, because this was way too convoluted than it needed to be

What if you’re just kinda dumb

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

What if you’re just kinda dumb

Lmao nah i had issues following as well, but nothing a second read for better understanding can't fix. I feel like the double flash-back at the beginning was really confusing. You have the senpai flashback, skip to confession flash back, skip to present day, all in 3 pages with no clear or obvious transition, so you're kind of lost at the start but figure stuff out as the manga goes on.
Personally i thought the confession was present day which made it really confusing cause I was constantly thinking "where tf did the glasses kid go wtf she only just confessed"

Also yay! More Kuwabara!

last edited at Jul 8, 2020 6:22PM

joined Feb 24, 2019

This one might be my favorite from this collection, but it does get a little confusing because it isn't clear at first that there's a largely unseen third character involved. The resolution was a little rushed but as always Kuwabara's art is really good at expressing what the characters are feeling. Oh, and the translator mentioned that another group already translated the other two stories. Anyone know where I might be able to find those?

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

I understood it in my first read. glad they got together and I absolutely love the art

joined Nov 27, 2016

I understood on my second read. V cute still always love the art

Irreleverent
joined Nov 27, 2017

That's correct as far as I'm aware, but fuck is that not communicated very well with how the sequences are cut together.

Screenshot_2020-05-19%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20a%20love%20letter%20for%20the%20marching%20puppy%20ch15
joined Mar 17, 2020

My heart just got melted this is so cute!!(ノ´∀`)

joined Jun 5, 2020

Can’t get myself to read something with smokers in it. I wish there was a smoking tag so I could just avoid such manga.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I agree that would be pretty helpful (I like characters who smoke but I understand that some people don't)

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I had to re-read those first few pages over a few times before I could even move on with the story, that was sorta confusing. Mikumo slept with a senpai back in the day who she loved, only to get shelved. So when Kanon, her kouhai at the time, confessed to her, she pre-emptively rejected her first. Now they get a second chance, woo!

Sorry, I'm sure those longer posts explained this better in more detail, I just had to write it out to log it in my brain. I liked this, wish it had been a whole volume with more details.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That was all over the place. Like a drunken rant.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I don't know what part is so super confusing about this, sure the translation wasn't the best, but overall the story isn't too hard to understand, not to mention there's a handful of people on this forum explaining the situation better for the ones that didn't understand it too well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.