Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

YuriIsLife1998
Screen%20shot%202020-03-21%20at%203.08.23%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2019

Yeah, but since it's Adachi, I'm not sure I expect it to stick unless she's explicitly told.

Shimamura is currently doing a great job in my opinion. Maintaining distances from other girls (especially Tarumi) and assuring Adachi by kissing her forehead and saying that Adachi is the only one whom she would do this to. She even told Adachi to have more confidence in herself before kissing her forehead. And Shimamura is right. When Shimamura talked with Hino and Nagafuj, it's more like jealousy caused by Adachi's insecurities. Adachi need to have more confidence in herself and trust in her girlfriend more. Adachi just need to see how special she is to Shimamura. Shimamura has been showing it through both words and actions.

last edited at Jun 13, 2020 8:44AM

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

Maybe I've been reading too many SoL dramas but the last few paragraphs felt kind of ominous to me.

joined Jun 13, 2020

First time poster, long time reader, I love Shimamuras approach to talking to Adachi. She’s doing her best to make up for lost time to give confidence to adachi. Yeah I loved it so much that I actually used it in a conversation I just had with my girlfriend.

You see we’ve been together for 6 years and my Mom had just brought up the possibility of marriage. A few hours later my girlfriend calls me in a panic with a ton of insecurities about herself as she comes from a rather messy family situation (she became the primary breadwinner at 19). Anyways having LITERALLY JUST FINISHED THE CHAPTER, I calmly talk my girlfriend through this and then I say, “Babe, you need to have more confidence in yourself.” I begin to explain in detail why I love her, her character and how she deals with her family in stride.

I say again that she needs to have more confidence in herself, she cries says thank you and I promise forehead kisses. Anyways I love this very gay very lovely story cause even though its kinda dumb I dunno it makes me think about my relationship in a different light.

TLDR; This fluffy chapter made extra fluffy to my GF and this is now my favorite story I love this chapter.

10/10 would read again LOVE YOU SNEKK AND QC

last edited at Jun 13, 2020 11:09AM

joined Oct 9, 2019

This latest chapter was very interesting, cute, and funny.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

First time poster, long time reader

I felt like I was reading a Games Done Quick donation for a second. Welcome!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And before I forget to mention it again, it was also fun to see Shima comment on Hino and Nagafuji being suspiciously close.

joined Jan 25, 2017

For as much as she worries, Shimamura is really good at this, huh

joined Oct 5, 2016

I feel like one of these days ShimaMom is just going to accidentally blurt out "your girlfriend's here!" and her daughter will die of mortification.

Like these two are terrible at keeping a poker face, mom is already teasing shima, and plus they keep having relationship talks like while mom is nearby.

joined Jan 25, 2017

I feel like one of these days ShimaMom is just going to accidentally blurt out "your girlfriend's here!" and her daughter will die of mortification.

Like these two are terrible at keeping a poker face, mom is already teasing shima, and plus they keep having relationship talks like while mom is nearby.

ShimaMom just walking past the door to see AdaShima just holding hands and smiling at each other and suddenly taking an intense interest in Adachi was fantastic

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I feel like if anyone ends up walking in on them doing something that gives out they're together, it's going to be Yashiro and she won't give weight to it.

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

Interesting that Shimamura didn‘t say it back, when Adachi told her she loved her in the last page.
The "Thanks." followed by the "..." felt kinda weird to me. As well as the last two paragraphs just kinda prove my point, that Shimamura doesn‘t really know how much she likes Adachi or can‘t really define what love is to her yet. She values Adachi and that‘s easy to tell, but she can‘t quite think of her in a romantical way yet, despite dating her. But she said about herself that she‘s rather a cold person anyway. That sleepy Shimamura said "I love you, too." is just the only thing that bothers me, cuz the other two times Shimamura said "I love you" to Adachi, was once when Adachi urged her to do so and the other time to reassure her about their relationship("You love me and I love you. Right?").

Enh7gsfxuaipynw
joined Jun 13, 2020

Shima's mom is the most true to life depiction of a mother I've seen in fiction and it's uncanny

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Shima's mom is the most true to life depiction of a mother I've seen in fiction and it's uncanny

For sure, I adore Shimama and her antics

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

when shima's mom asked, "are you here to take another bath?" I just died.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I need to see all of this visualised in the manga. It's so fluffy and epic

joined Oct 5, 2016

ShimaMom just walking past the door to see AdaShima just holding hands and smiling at each other and suddenly taking an intense interest in Adachi was fantastic

You could basically hear the quote marks in ShimaMom's voice every time she called Adachi your """Friend"""

Plus this is only shortly after Shimamura got all dressed up and pretty for her trip to a festival with a """Friend""" which mom helped her with.

joined Aug 21, 2017

ooooh somebody's jealous

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Very good. I was expecting development of their relationship regarding their base interactions and was not disappointed. Once again, and probably for every chapter after this one too, I have to commend this author for his(?) careful elevation of mundane life events and thoughts into something profound. They're just going to school, they don't have a big play or festival or anything like that to work towards. But even Adachi showing up to Shima's house multiple times or thoughts rolling around about their relationship to the world around them take on a quality of depth that's so hard to achieve. The biggest drama is the one playing in their heads, with each other, not necessarily the real world around them and being able to show that is amazing.

Enh7gsfxuaipynw
joined Jun 13, 2020

Iruma Hitoma is just so good at these kinds of low-key stories where all the appeal is in the characters. I felt it when reading AdaShima, when I read the YagaKimi Sayaka novel, and now recently while watching/reading Denpa Onna. I think he's the best author at writing 1st person perspective and letting you experience all the small changes in the characters.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Iruma Hitoma is just so good at these kinds of low-key stories where all the appeal is in the characters. I felt it when reading AdaShima, when I read the YagaKimi Sayaka novel, and now recently while watching/reading Denpa Onna. I think he's the best author at writing 1st person perspective and letting you experience all the small changes in the characters.

Just between this and the YagaKimi spinoff, I'm really impressed at how he's written three different characters with very distinct internal voices.

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

Don't know how to quote but to answer the person who said Shima isn't really sure about loving her, I understand her. I've said many times (although not here) that I resemble Shimamura in an uncanny way, it's just way too much and it's one of the reasons that I love this series so much. In any case, I can see Shimamura not loving Adachi in a romantic way not because she doesn't love her but because it's an alien concept to her (as is for me). Romantic love is an idea that just doesn't hit me as something real, so while I'm not saying that the author wrote her to feel exactly the way, it feels natural to me for Shima to not understand what their new relationship is, but is capable and wants to have a special relationship with Adachi regardless.

Also this chapter as wonderful as it was made me super uncomfortable, once for depicting an encounter that would have made me run the fuck away from Adachi and her extreme jealousy, even if it most likely comes from her insecurities instead of actual jealousy. And twice for Taru's call, Shima feeling guilty for it made me realize that as much as she resembles me, she is in fact a good person capable of at least feeling guilt for her other friend while on my side, being in the same exact postion years ago, I didn't feel anything for doing the exact same thing.

In any case, really loved this chapter even if it was a hard one for me to read at times.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

As always a perfect chapter, finally some Shimamura POV and it really delivers, as has been said I really like how this is all about their internal struggles and how they're finding comfort in each other as friends before and now as lovers, Adachi finally finding a person that she can confide in and Shima someone that she can open up to, why each other? Well Shima has stated that it might be cuz they're both very weird while Adachi has just been a romantic and said "because it's Shimamura"

The ending of the chapter does show that Shimamura is putting a lot of thought into what turning from friends to lovers mean, I think she's just scared to hurt Adachi by not living up to her expectations of what exactly Adachi wants (and goddamn it a lot, a bit on the scary side tbh), maybe cuz she was also expecting a bug change in her emotions and it still hasn't come, like saying she's a bit jelly that just by her saying Sakura, Adachi goes ballistic, still she's really putting in that work into trying and be a girlfriend and I like that, I like that quite a lot, just try your best Shimamura things will fit into place by themselves if you're really into Adachi.

Adachi was particularly insane this chapter, we've always known it but that outburst about what cheating is to her ..... Yeah as has been said she needs a good talking to and more confidence in herself, but I don't think it's a super serious problem, remember Adachi has never had someone so maintaining a relationship in any capacity is a first for her, Shima saying she reminds her of how her little sister acted long ago is a sign for this along with the constant 'she doesn't have experience with this" stuff, she just needs to be more comfortable with herself and her bind with Shima it'll come.

Shimamura having a coughing fit when Adachi called her Shima most probably cuz she remembered Tarumi and she knew Adachi would lose it if she found out about it was funny.

I really wonder if we will get to see Shima's mom finding out they're dating, I really want to see that.

I'm really happy about all this updates but I'm sad at the same time the closer we get to volume 8 the close we get to no more chapters ..... Any news on volume 9?

joined Jan 25, 2017

I'm really happy about all this updates but I'm sad at the same time the closer we get to volume 8 the close we get to no more chapters ..... Any news on volume 9?

It's definitely happening. I feel like I saw someone saying it's supposed to come out this summer? Can't remember the source tho

joined Apr 6, 2018

As someone who (unfortunately) relates A LOT with Adachi it's kinda sad to see people calling her insane but maybe I'm overreacting, idk.
I'll preface this with saying that Adachi's behavior is excessive and very overbearing but whilst it may come of as "insane" her actions are based on logic, twisted as that logic may be.
She is a victim of neglect and thus never got taught how to actually manage her emotions and was never really taught that she has value and thus naturally she doesn't value herself.
Her emotional age is way younger than her physical age, most of her reactions are things you'd expect from a child.
Speaking from firsthand experience, it doesn't matter if you spend large amounts of time alone trying to "fix" your emotions, without actual experience with people who treat you well it's VERY unlikely that you will actually start valuing yourself and treat yourself with respect (at least if your issues stem from the same source as Adachi and you exhibit a lot of the same behaviors". This lack of self respect helps explain why someone like Adachi would cling for life to the things they love, it's like going without water in the heat, whenever you find water you are gonna drink more than you need too since you don't know if you'll actually ever find more and then the cycle repeats. Just in Adachi's case it's loneliness and then extreme reactions at the first sign of emotional investment and love. You desperately need experience to grow which is hard to achieve the more unstable you are.
Shimamura needed intrigue and a call to action, she was always capable of dealing with her problems she just needed/needs to learn what they are and figure out what she values and who she wants to be.
Adachi needs are... more complicated. She needs external things like love, patience, structure (as to not let her get her way every time she gets emotional whilst the other person also has patience and understands that recovery and self improvement is a journey) and time.
Her emotional development is so nonexistent that she needs other people to help lay the groundwork so that she can truly start standing on her own legs. That's not to say she doesn't have a responsibility for her own behaviors and reactions, she 100% does, but the things she can actually work on by herself are things that most people don't even
see as possible issues.
Adachi does try very hard to cut back on how clingy she is when she can actually conceptualize it. Her base emotional state is really intense which makes her act out at inappropriate times for things that might seem (and are) small but in her mind is huge, kinda like a child.
If Shimamura gets the importance of structure and standing to her beliefs and Adachi gets more self insight and learns to value herself they are actually kind of perfect for each other.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

As someone who (unfortunately) relates A LOT with Adachi it's kinda sad to see people calling her insane but maybe I'm overreacting, idk.
I'll preface this with saying that Adachi's behavior is excessive and very overbearing but whilst it may come of as "insane" her actions are based on logic, twisted as that logic may be.
She is a victim of neglect and thus never got taught how to actually manage her emotions and was never really taught that she has value and thus naturally she doesn't value herself.
Her emotional age is way younger than her physical age, most of her reactions are things you'd expect from a child.
Speaking from firsthand experience, it doesn't matter if you spend large amounts of time alone trying to "fix" your emotions, without actual experience with people who treat you well it's VERY unlikely that you will actually start valuing yourself and treat yourself with respect (at least if your issues stem from the same source as Adachi and you exhibit a lot of the same behaviors". This lack of self respect helps explain why someone like Adachi would cling for life to the things they love, it's like going without water in the heat, whenever you find water you are gonna drink more than you need too since you don't know if you'll actually ever find more and then the cycle repeats. Just in Adachi's case it's loneliness and then extreme reactions at the first sign of emotional investment and love. You desperately need experience to grow which is hard to achieve the more unstable you are.
Shimamura needed intrigue and a call to action, she was always capable of dealing with her problems she just needed/needs to learn what they are and figure out what she values and who she wants to be.
Adachi needs are... more complicated. She needs external things like love, patience, structure (as to not let her get her way every time she gets emotional whilst the other person also has patience and understands that recovery and self improvement is a journey) and time.
Her emotional development is so nonexistent that she needs other people to help lay the groundwork so that she can truly start standing on her own legs. That's not to say she doesn't have a responsibility for her own behaviors and reactions, she 100% does, but the things she can actually work on by herself are things that most people don't even
see as possible issues.
Adachi does try very hard to cut back on how clingy she is when she can actually conceptualize it. Her base emotional state is really intense which makes her act out at inappropriate times for things that might seem (and are) small but in her mind is huge, kinda like a child.
If Shimamura gets the importance of structure and standing to her beliefs and Adachi gets more self insight and learns to value herself they are actually kind of perfect for each other.

actually very few ppl are calling her insane and understand her lack of experience

To reply you must either login or sign up.