Forum › Don't Call It Yuri Fanservice! discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Harem is not polyamory though?

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

Polyamory as what happens when Greek and Latin do something naughty beneath the covers.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I think the combination of both tags works, for me. I was a bit confused by polyamory alone, because I went in expecting - well, more than one point of contact between the four of them. But harem by itself just reads like a genre convention, and not a description of an actual non-monogamous relationship. Having both of them is more descriptive, to me, but then...

I don't know, is it a necessary distinction? Is this what people want if they go searching for a harem manga? Do people need to know what the specific vectors are in this unambiguously polyamorous relationship are, before they even read it? Hmm. I could see an argument for harem either way.

The manga was cute, anyway.

joined Jan 6, 2017

This didn't at all seem like a harem to me. Sure, the other characters only paid attention to Kanon, but that's because the story focused on her, but that doesn't mean they all can't also love each other.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

This would be a big hit if it was a NSFW.... just sayin

Second that.

joined Jun 18, 2018

This didn't at all seem like a harem to me. Sure, the other characters only paid attention to Kanon, but that's because the story focused on her, but that doesn't mean they all can't also love each other.

I agree. They are holding hands in a circle, and it seem to me they are referring to them as "us". While in a harem situation it would be drawn like the harem protag is "above" the girls.

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

She looks like she makes a really puffed up and cute face when denying it being fanservice so why wouldn't fans that want to see that expression say the line that always causes it (even if they know it's not fanservice)?

And before someone says "because it clearly bothers her" I don't actually know much about music groups but it seems like specific groups will have their own way of commonly interacting with fans at concerts so they might assume that's just how she interacts with them.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Why the Polyamory tag if it's clearly a Harem?

Long story short: Harem would be yuri fanservice, which this is clearly not.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wondered how a piece of dandelion fluff like this could have 30+ posts already.

I should have known—Tag Wars

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I wondered how a piece of dandelion fluff like this could have 30+ posts already.

The War of the Tags have claimed many a life and ruined many more reputations

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

The first Yuri Harem I've come across, and it's only a one shot. I'm saddened by this.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/ojou_sama_wa_love_come_no_shujinkou_ni_naritai

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

I'd like to believe that this is the case for all the idols in real life who we think are gay.

If only

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

This isn't a "fairy tale ending" at all, it seems the only reason they were "accepted" it's because the fans didn't actually believe the announcement wasn't fanservice either, they also took the announcement as a joke.

They probably need to get married in a different country or something if they want the fans to believe them.

joined Jul 26, 2016

My eyes had started unfocusing and getting that particular glassy look halfway down the first page.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

(grrrrrr)I You're always are so damn pedantic. I know the damn difference I just thought the tag was Polygamy . And yuri isn't all romance. That's ridiculous. We would get along better if you didn't try to lecture me like a school teacher.

Edit: Okay I might have been a tad pedantic myself with my original post. And I may have used polygamy and polyamory interchangeably. (I do know the difference. I sware. ) But in my defence I actually find this whole Harem vs. Polygamory debate academic. It's an eight page one shot. We don't get to see enough to really tell if their polyamorous relationship qualifies as harem or not.
Holy crap BugDevil I think I just beat myself in a debate for you. ( what did you think I was going to just admit you were right all along? You should know me better than that by now.).

What a fascinating mental breakdown.

My only correction would be that Yuri by definition focuses on lesbian relationships. There is absolutely no reason to tag something Yuri unless partners are romantically involved. So by the definition Yuri is romance sub-genre/tag.

That’s a pretty small subset when having both “harem” and “polyamory” tags on a single manga. So, from the way I interpret this foursome is there’s an alpha female and the lesser females, but all love each other the same... yup, quite the fantasy story here. Cute fantasy that won’t see the light of day.

"Alpha female" "Lesser females"
Ew.

Anyway, the manga in no way implies anything but a harem for Kanon.

My eyes had started unfocusing and getting that particular glassy look halfway down the first page.

It must be hard to have such a short attention span. There are no wars here. People have just calmly given their thoughts on how concepts work.

Why the Polyamory tag if it's clearly a Harem?

Long story short: Harem would be yuri fanservice, which this is clearly not.

Oh sure, completely functional polyamory between 5 girls just so that nobody feels left out is not at all fanservice. lol
I think you were trying to make a joke, but the dots don't connect for me. Just because the manga mention yuri fanservice as bad, I don't see how that connects to harems.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 11:23AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There are no wars here. People have just calmly given their thoughts on how concepts work.

LOL

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

I wonder if I should say my Mamamoo joke or not...

joined Feb 11, 2014

Joke's on the public, they aren't true yuri fans if they can't tell genuine feelings. If one truly loves love between girls, one would never call it fanservice!

Based on the ending, I think they have but still keep up the whole “yuri fanservice” because it’s become a running gag.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

That’s a pretty small subset when having both “harem” and “polyamory” tags on a single manga. So, from the way I interpret this foursome is there’s an alpha female and the lesser females, but all love each other the same... yup, quite the fantasy story here. Cute fantasy that won’t see the light of day.

"Alpha female" "Lesser females"
Ew.

David Attenborough voice

“The lesser females congregate around the alpha female, giving her head pats as part of mating ritual”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Get over yourself.

LOL

Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

I want the anime of this

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Get over yourself.

LOL

pats Blastaar
There there, dear. The PTSD will leave eventually.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

As someone in a poly relationship, not every partner has to be dating every other partner for it to work. Polycules can end up being pretty complicated lol

So whether or not the girls are all interdating, it's still polyamory.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It must be hard to have such a short attention span.

I can read 300+ page books in one sitting, thanks. It pains me to have to point out the terribly obvious but the jab was at the utter inanity of the soi-disant debate.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I can read 300+ page books in one sitting, thanks. It pains me to have to point out the terribly obvious but the jab was at the utter inanity of the soi-disant debate.

Oh I am fully aware of your pretentiousness, don't you worry. As usual your preferences do not define anything. You don't get to decide what conversational topics are acceptable or "nane". Done with you. Shoo shoo.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 1:38PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.