Forum › No Dignity for the Captain discussion

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I think the captain is against Esumi's sadistic behaviour, but it's not too much for her to handle so she lets her be, because I don't think she'd want to stay with her if her sadistic behaviour is too much. I mean, if she uses the pretext that, if she doesn't let Esumi do her thing, she would have to disband what little tennis club she has, then that's sad. Because, she values tennis more than herself then that would make the title of this manga seem fairly accurate: no dignity for the captain.

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

I have been bullied my whole life too but this is a manga. It's not real so why are most of you guys making a big deal out of it? I agree with CubieJ that Esumi does sometimes does cringe worthy things but is this harming anyone in real life? Is someone at a point where they are contemplating suicide? You know the answer. If it's too much for you, just drop it until the cutesy stuff comes in. That's what I did with Citrus (IF it ever gets better).

Geez... Like Kickap00 said, what happened to this forum? It's like when 4chan invaded Tumblr and vice versa...

If a manga is making people feel uncomfortable, I think shutting up about it and repressing their distaste is more unhealthy than letting it out on a public forum and seeing if others agree or have opposing views. Saying that "it's not real, therefore you shouldn't care about it" is decent advice in practice, but doesn't mean that the work in question shouldn't be criticized for its themes if someone wants to do so - especially on a manga forum! I personally like that people are discussing the distinctions between sadism, S&M relationships, and bullying and I'd be a little troubled if everyone fully liked Esumi and didn't give her behavior a second thought.

10300628_674986162569256_6722613182495820324_n
joined Feb 17, 2014

Holy crap, haven't seen people this sensitive in a long time. Complain all you want, but since you're reading it free off of a website, and you aren't buying it, the author couldn't give a shit about you're guys bitching.
I can tell the people complaining were bullied.
And if they're offended by a manga, I can also tell why.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Holy crap, haven't seen people this sensitive in a long time.

"Sensitive" in this context seems to mean "cares about things I have the luxury of not worrying about".

And if they're offended by a manga, I can also tell why.

I doubt it.

last edited at Jun 22, 2014 11:31AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Saying that "it's not real, therefore you shouldn't care about it" is decent advice in practice, but doesn't mean that the work in question shouldn't be criticized for its themes if someone wants to do so - especially on a manga forum!

Since it could easily be applied in the same way to complimenting a manga "it's not real, so nothing contained within matters" it's actually pretty bad advice and comes off as "I don't want to talk about this, so shut up".

The whole point of posting a manga is to share its content, not discussing that content even when it's not good (as in this case where so far it's a poorly done presentation of a S/M relationship) seems silly to me.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

Hmm... kinda like it haha

10698506_356095501219916_3104907167461467085_n
joined Sep 21, 2013

Dang, Esumi's expression... sadism at its best.

Sadist-chan is my fav character

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I read through the two available chapters and it was nice for pass the time but nothing too impressive. Now glancing through the comments a few things:

• The whole thing is played for laughs and frankly, is kind of absurd to start a large diatribe on sadism and bullying when the manga doesn't take itself seriously, is classic japanese humor and is a fictional history.

• If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine, say your piece and don't read the manga. One thing is to discuss the content of it and another to see post after post about how much it sucks, I mean nobody is forcing anyone to read this and there are people who like the series.

People just take things way too seriously nowadays.

last edited at Jun 24, 2014 10:43AM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

^ I applaud your sentiments.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I read through the two available chapters and it was nice for pass the time but nothing too impressive. Now glancing through the comments a few things:

• The whole thing is played for laughs and frankly, is kind of absurd to start a larga diatribe on sadism and bullying when the manga itself doesn't take seriously, is classic japanese humor, is a fictional history.

• If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine, say your piece and don't read the manga. One thing is to discuss the content of a manga and another to see post after post about how much it sucks, I mean nobody is forcing anyone to read this and there are people who like the series.

People just take things way too seriously nowadays.

Caring about stories (or anything, really) is way uncool kids, don't do it. And for the love of Madoka don't discuss them like you're in some sort of discussion forum or something!

Because none of us came here due to our love of stories or anything.

joined Nov 11, 2010

Haha, er, feels kinda awkward being the one who sparked off all of the bullying discussion. I stand by what I said back then, that I would get more enjoyment out of this story if it portrayed a mutual/consensual relationship, but I didn't necessarily want to encourage a censorious environment which would prevent positive discussion of the story later.

Basically, I stand by the statements that parts of Esumi's behaviour definitely constitute bullying. Stuff like forcing Emu to run thirty laps around her school in a swimsuit, or getting soda all over her clothes at a school without a shower, are definitely way beyond the lines of what could be called 'teasing'. However overall I actually found the second chapter to be more palatable than the first one, if only thanks to the greater development in what makes Esumi tick.

On that topic: I agree another poster that the privately arranged outing to the amusement park had the markings of a date. It was interesting to find out that such an outing was what Esumi considered a personal birthday present. Somewhat subjectively, I felt that Esumi's harrassments at the amusement park were less than what we had seen at the school. Most importantly however, I felt that the glimpse into Esumi's home life seemed to present the possibility that she and Emu could develop a more genuine connection (Esumi definitely feels estranged/overwhelmed by her brother's behaviour, which seems to make her relationship with Emu her only tangible/significantly notable human connection). These factors allowed ch. 2 overall to give me a more favourable impression.

I do think it's concerning that, to this point, Esumi has not shown a single instance of caring for/respecting Emu's personal free will or desires. However, I don't think it can be questioned that Esumi's interest in Emu is sexual/romantic, given her description of her response to Emu back in ch. 1 ("arousal"), and the sexual aspect to a fair degree of her harassment (getting undressed, etc.). So, in general the series feels like it is probably slowly/gradually moving towards a romantic relationship, with some disconcerting elements (Esumi's complete lack of concern for Emu's free will) to be hopefully resolved in the future. If that issue doesn't get resolved or seem like it's being developed towards a resolution, then I think that I will set this series aside as a distasteful comedy, but for now I'm still fairly willing to see where the author goes with it.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Ok, so according to Comic Meteor, the manga's at Chapter 17 currently. And the scanlation...2. Wuurph...

BTW, http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40443491. Another couple from the manga.

last edited at Jul 19, 2014 5:51PM

joined Jun 12, 2012

Ok, so according to Comic Meteor, the manga's at Chapter 17 currently. And the scanlation...2. Wuurph...

BTW, http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40443491. Another couple from the manga.

Sometimes I just wish I understood moon runes. despair despair ;-;

joined Aug 1, 2013

Sometimes I just wish I understood moon runes. despair despair ;-;

We all wish that, Gordon, we all do.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Just a poorly done representation of an S/M relationship

Most accurate way to put it tbh.

We also haven't seen the future chapters, so obviously it gets better enough for the manga to be well-received enough to warrant extra chapters. We already got a look at it this chapter where she seemed to have a more doting personality towards Emu (of course she still snuck in the swimsuit match but it didn't seem vicious like her other stunts).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's refreshing that chapter 3 is about something other than Esumi abusing the Captain, not to mention the abuse is dramatically more light-hearted than in chapter 2.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I share the same sentiment. Seems like the drama/SM/humour levels are not quite right for a lot of people.

Still, I can pretty much handle anything after reading...
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1236

This manga is pretty much next level bullying.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

oh jeez lol, i wanna say man you guys are making such a big deal out of a COMEDY, where it's all supposed to just be a joke, BUUT i can understand some jokes to certain people can be in poor taste. myself i don't like all those american pie movies, or not another __ movies, so not like i can't understand :/ however, i myself find this manga really funny cause i CAN take it as a joke (and yea not a lot but i did get bullied a bit before i moved in 6th grade, probably woulda gotten worse if we hadn't moved) and it's a poorly done representation of an s/m relationship i think is cause it's a comedy? the point is to take it out of reality in how it's supposed to be to make it funny. anyways, i sure as hell hope it doesn't get more like the real her cause i really didn't like that one lol.

anyways, BEST LINE EVER lol last page: "Waah it's like an old RPG where even picking no still gives the same result!" XDXD

edit: OH MAN haven't seen LIFE in forever....that one got realllly out of control...at first i really liked it and really rooted for the MC but...after a while that main bully girl just like literally turned crazy and got stupid. that author is great at making crazy faces lol.

last edited at Sep 18, 2014 1:44PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I don't think I will ever read this thing… sound horrible...

last edited at Sep 18, 2014 2:06PM

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

I'm surprised that people are complaining about this. I like it. Its just your basic s&m stuff

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

With the bullying issue in this manga, I consider it as a joke since Esumi hasn't gone that far yet, or I should say she hasn't crossed that line to actual bullying. It's probably just me but I can see a difference between Esumi's actions and bullying in reality. Now when I was in elementary school, like many of you guys, I was also bullied. Stuff like a stronger kid twisted my arm for not buying her a snack, I got my lunch stolen, getting laughed at whenever I did something wrong or even when I read manga in class. That is bullying. While Esumi is definitely harrassing the captain, I don't think that is really bullying because back when I was in high school, my sempai(s) in Anime club always did this to me. It's all becuz I'm the only Asian girl in the club so they just loved messing with me like touching me when they hug me (they're all girls btw) or making me wear weird stuff even though I didn't want to. But I was okay with that since everyday was fun. Now that we have not seen the captain's point of view, we can't really assume that Esumi's action is hurting her emotionally like what bullying can do. What if the captain actually do feel like she's having fun with Esumi, despite of her being a sadist. This is merely my opinion, but yeah I think we should just relax and enjoy this because it's all in the past. And bullying makes you grow as a person so you should see it as a positive thing now.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm surprised that people are complaining about this. I like it. Its just your basic s&m stuff

Doesn't resemble any S&M (or more properly, D&s) that I've seen or been involved with.

What it does resemble is abuse, which I have seen and experienced.

It also resembles bad writing, which tries to be the first but ends up being the second. And oh lordy, I've seen a lot of bad writing.

10930931_1572484072967796_9102248557687339195_n
joined Jan 4, 2014

I share the same sentiment. Seems like the drama/SM/humour levels are not quite right for a lot of people.

Yes, someone know this manga....:'(

AquarianDemocrat
Retry
joined Jan 23, 2012

Ok, having just read way too many of these comments.

1). It's a comedy, not a drama. The behavior is just a set up for a series of jokes, it's not meant to be an endorsement of what they're doing.

I mean, did you watch Looney Tunes and get outraged because it was endorsing animal cruelty?

2). A real M, FYI, would enjoy this.

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

lol these reactions. It's a comedy manga. The only thing I'll say is: I see nothing wrong with it.

Anyway, I'm glad we got a new chapter. Loving Esumi's disgusted reactions to Yae's advances - those were really cute. Especially near the end where both were ganging up on her and her response is just, "You promised..." I'm loving this even more! I hope the volume is available on Amazon. I need to order it!

To reply you must either login or sign up.