Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Both girls suffer from their own versions of social awkwardness. They're only 16ish.

Oh right. They are still 16 years old. 16 years old since 2012. We are the same age if time moved here as slowly as in Adashima world. Lol

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

I agree with @shadesofgreymoon describing teens. Teens are a mess dealing with emtions like jealousy even without hinting at some sort of romantic/sexual awakening.
They surely will need someone to talk to. As far as the story goes, both Shima and Adachi are surrounded by adults who seemingly can't be trusted about this stuff and are insensitive to existential needs of young ones. They are navigating waters on their own.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Adachi's remote outburst somewhat reminded me of ep.8 of "Ef: a tale of memories".

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Adachi's remote outburst somewhat reminded me of ep.8 of "Ef: a tale of memories".

Ep 7, but yeah, that does actually come pretty close...

last edited at Jan 29, 2020 9:59AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I agree with @shadesofgreymoon describing teens. Teens are a mess dealing with emtions like jealousy even without hinting at some sort of romantic/sexual awakening.

I feel like that's a broad generalization which doesn't hold up if you look at how different cultures have dealt with children/teens. And then if you consider that plenty of adults aren't any better at dealing with those emotions, it's not necessarily about age at that point.

They surely will need someone to talk to. As far as the story goes, both Shima and Adachi are surrounded by adults who seemingly can't be trusted about this stuff and are insensitive to existential needs of young ones. They are navigating waters on their own.

Yeah that is true though that they have no trustworthy adults around to talk to. I don't think the thought would have ever crossed their minds.

joined Mar 30, 2016

Even though I’m not sure about the multiple personality disorder thing I think it could still be a big possibility. Adachi’s psychotic break was over seven pages long I can’t imagine how she would react if she saw Shimamira hugging a girl. It actually seems scary to think about. I feel like blood would be shed.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

That's not a portrayal of multiple personalities. It was just her frustration built up over a year (and over her whole life with stuff like feeling her mother hates her) coming to a boiling point.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I feel like that's a broad generalization which doesn't hold up if you look at how different cultures have dealt with children/teens. And then if you consider that plenty of adults aren't any better at dealing with those emotions, it's not necessarily about age at that point.

Only it is kinda about age in this case. Adachi is young. She's been more or less socially and emotionally sequestered up till the last year or so, when suddenly she's faced with new big, confusing, kinda scary feelings that she literally has no one to turn to about. She's relying on TV shamans with horoscopes and weirdo fortune tellers in parking lots because she literally has nothing else. It's not even about cultures or differences in them. Just one super confused and increasingly frazzled teenager with bonus slow burn "whoa I'm lesbian" frazzle razzle dazzle. (Yay i'm poetic.)

last edited at Jan 29, 2020 10:02PM

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

That's not a portrayal of multiple personalities. It was just her frustration built up over a year (and over her whole life with stuff like feeling her mother hates her) coming to a boiling point.

I agree.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

im not caught up yet so I won't be able to respond right away for fear of spoilers, but i really wanted to say this...

the more i read, the more it seems that adachi is on the spectrum. so many little things that seem to fit. rocking when excited, difficulty understanding the nuances of jokes, etc. cute!

joined Mar 30, 2016

im not caught up yet so I won't be able to respond right away for fear of spoilers, but i really wanted to say this...

the more i read, the more it seems that adachi is on the spectrum. so many little things that seem to fit. rocking when excited, difficulty understanding the nuances of jokes, etc. cute!

I agree with you that seems like it could be a possibility too!

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

I CAN'T TAKE THIS I hope this was some sort of understanding like Adachi accidentally hit the mute button or something but i get the feeling it isn't... Also autistic Adachi rights.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I CAN'T TAKE THIS I hope this was some sort of understanding like Adachi accidentally hit the mute button or something but i get the feeling it isn't... Also autistic Adachi rights.

Me too. Hope Shimamura didnt hear her. Adachi can still regain herself.

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

I hesitate to call the phone call a break or psychosis or ascribe it to some sort of mental illness requiring a therapist. Adachi was not socially awkward, she was actively disinterested in social interaction. She had never been hurt that she would acknowledge before. She had no friends, her mom couldn't care less about her and she, also, simply didn't care. Then, all of a sudden she cared. Deeply, earnestly, awkwardly cared, only to have that thrown back in her face it would hurt. If you look back on the chapters Shimamura may have been thinking about Adachi often and enjoyed the thoughts but never let on she was. Adachi always had to make the first move. Always had to fight against her own nature to gain any closeness to Shimamura and thus, to see Shimamura seemingly put effort into getting closer to someone else would more than sting, it would be a punch to the gut. I'm not saying Shimamura's a bad person, but she is insensitive and clueless.I think, honestly, Adachi needed Shimamura to hang up on her. Adachi needs distance.

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

Me too. Hope Shimamura didnt hear her. Adachi can still regain herself.

Wouldn‘t make any sense, after all Shimamura said right after the Adachi-fit: "You kept talking on and on, so I said what a pain"
I doubt she would have said that if Adachi was muted all the time or most of the time.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Just saying but it's the novel thread here so if you have to speak about how the phonecall scene gonna be in the anime, it might be better to talk it here.

52aff1d4a4969e731dc9324b146b7306
joined Sep 6, 2016

Oof, that last chapter was hard to read.

Gimmie moooooore ° ^° hurt so good

joined Mar 5, 2019

Thank you! I was going to write a detailed response on different things she exhibits that I literally recognize from personal experience, but I've been swamped with school and depression!

joined Mar 5, 2019

Autistic Adachi rights!!

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

So, I went to animate Ikebukuro and bought lots of Adashima stuffs (almost all the kind of merch they have, yeah that's just how I love this series), including the LNs, and well duh, I didn't understand a thing, but in volume 5, chapter 5, i think they reconciled immediately as there was an illustration with the two of them five or six pages after the chapter started. So there goes my worries. Still, looking at the raws just made me hundred more times excited about the translation of next chapters. Also, this may not be the right thread to share this but please let me. I was really surprised that there weren't many Adashima goods in Akihabara, Shibuya,etc. It took me 1 day, 30K steps until I found that damn Adashima calendar in Ikebukuro. What is more frustrating is that my hotel room is located in Ikebukuro, and I decided to check that area last, lol. I was so happy that I found the calendar that I decided to buy the other available adashima merchs too. Hope that there will be more stuff once the anime aired, since this is a really good series.

joined Mar 5, 2019

So, I went to animate Ikebukuro and bought lots of Adashima stuffs (almost all the kind of merch they have, yeah that's just how I love this series), including the LNs, and well duh, I didn't understand a thing, but in volume 5, chapter 5, i think they reconciled immediately as there was an illustration with the two of them five or six pages after the chapter started. So there goes my worries. Still, looking at the raws just made me hundred more times excited about the translation of next chapters. Also, this may not be the right thread to share this but please let me. I was really surprised that there weren't many Adashima goods in Akihabara, Shibuya,etc. It took me 1 day, 30K steps until I found that damn Adashima calendar in Ikebukuro. What is more frustrating is that my hotel room is located in Ikebukuro, and I decided to check that area last, lol. I was so happy that I found the calendar that I decided to buy the other available adashima merchs too. Hope that there will be more stuff once the anime aired, since this is a really good series.

I'm totally sure more will come out as the anime gets super popular!

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I hesitate to call the phone call a break or psychosis or ascribe it to some sort of mental illness requiring a therapist. Adachi was not socially awkward, she was actively disinterested in social interaction. She had never been hurt that she would acknowledge before. She had no friends, her mom couldn't care less about her and she, also, simply didn't care. Then, all of a sudden she cared. Deeply, earnestly, awkwardly cared, only to have that thrown back in her face it would hurt. If you look back on the chapters Shimamura may have been thinking about Adachi often and enjoyed the thoughts but never let on she was. Adachi always had to make the first move. Always had to fight against her own nature to gain any closeness to Shimamura and thus, to see Shimamura seemingly put effort into getting closer to someone else would more than sting, it would be a punch to the gut. I'm not saying Shimamura's a bad person, but she is insensitive and clueless.I think, honestly, Adachi needed Shimamura to hang up on her. Adachi needs distance.

I don't think her mom doesn't care. I think she just doesn't know how to deal with Addachi.
Addachi has mentioned being taken to things like the park (and maybe the zoo?)as a child. So it seems she did try. Mom even made an effort to spend time with Addachi after Shima insisted she do so.

Wonder where the dads are. I'm so use to anime/manga giving parents non roles that this is all the more surprising it's suddenly part of the discussion.

last edited at Feb 1, 2020 5:37PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

I don't think her mom doesn't care. I think she just doesn't know how to deal with Addachi.
Addachi has mentioned being taken to things like the park (and maybe the zoo?)as a child. So it seems she did try. Mom even made an effort to spend time with Addachi after Shima insisted she do so.

Wonder where the dads are. I'm so use to anime/manga giving parents non roles that this is all the more surprising it's suddenly part of the discussion.

Shimamura seems like she gets on well enough with her dad, tbh - not super close but I don't think she's gonna go and blurt out MY DAD HATES ME like Adachi did with her mom.

As for Adachi's dad, I'm not sure we've seen him even once. With no other info to go on, I'd just assume he's a busy salaryman?

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Shimamura seems like she gets on well enough with her dad, tbh - not super close but I don't think she's gonna go and blurt out MY DAD HATES ME like Adachi did with her mom.

"I can pass the physical at work." Shima's dad's explanation to why he doesn't work out as much as his wife. That cracked me up.

Oh. Wasn't thinking the dads were missing. Just regulated to the unimportant bin as much as moms and dads usually are. They often seem like after-thoughts.

last edited at Feb 1, 2020 7:05PM

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

This took a while for me to get to reading but wow what a phone call. I really really hope Shima's "What a pain." statement means that she is now on her way to Adachi's house to comfort her and mend her broken heart. Also, could we not all assume Adachi is a crazy yandere? She is a teenager dealing with her first love who is the same sex (two girls can't love each other, impossible! Joking aside with the yuri trope, it's not a normal thing in Japanese culture).

last edited at Feb 2, 2020 12:59AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.