Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

Not gonna lie, that had me in tears.

Listen, I know that a good part of what Adachi said was definitely selfish, but there were some lines there. I mean: "do you hate me like mom does?"!!??? WHAT!!??!??? When I read that line tears fell, seriously, we've been led to believe that Adachi and her family's feelings towards each other really was just indifference, but no Adachi honestly believes her mom hates her, what the fuck!?

Holy fuck

Please get Adachi a therapist

Yes! She honestly needs one, she needs someone with a license to hear her out, sit her parents in front of her, and help her articulate all this, as well as give her folks a stern scolding for letting their relationship with their daughter get to this point!

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Sigh...why do I always end up rooting for the best/childhood friend...(RIP Touko x Sayaka)

Touko x Sayaka is a legend ship. Will never be forgotten. RIP.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Adachi was definitely being selfish, but it’s the selfishness of someone who’s never had true agency in some regard, and that makes her more tragic than anything

joined Oct 5, 2016

And it's rough too cuz like... this is the first time she's actually said ANY of this out loud. Most of the time she won't even admit most of this stuff to herself. Like she's always talked around liking shimamura. we get what she means, but this is the first time she's actually openly and directly just said that she likes shimamura.

So she finally started talking and then she couldn't stop.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that chapter killed any discussion of the rest of this volume, I see...

Strangely enough, as I see it, Shima's reaction wasn't even that bad. There really was no way for them to talk all of that mess through, especially with Adachi having just completely broken down. Could've ended the call a bit more softly, but this being Shima, I honestly can't see how it could have gone any better, only worse.

They do need to talk eventually, though. If only Adachi knew that Shima keeps thinking about her (and smiling more because of it) even when she's with Tarumi...

Well, have to talk about the rest of the volume we got here at once as well, though. First a note to the translation team: please fix that 4. ;)

Other great moments:

Adachi's list of things she wants to do - Shimamura.

She was what I was aiming for. Everything ended on her. Everything began from her.

And, of course, as said above, Shima thinking about Adachi even when being out with Tarumi is always nice.

Did I just read that Shou likes to wash Yashiro? Yes, I did...

last edited at Jan 27, 2020 4:47PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

While we're at it, are the other blue-haired girl and the kid in the hat during the what-if kindergarten chapter supposed to be characters from Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko? I know Yashiro apparently is in it, but I'm not any more familiar with it or with the author's other works otherwise.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

While we're at it, are the other blue-haired girl and the kid in the hat during the what-if kindergarten chapter supposed to be characters from Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko? I know Yashiro apparently is in it, but I'm not any more familiar with it or with the author's other works otherwise.

Seems most likely, especially with the rather unique blue hair.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Is that really a what if ? Shimamura's mom said that Shima was having a habit to run with her arms in front of her when she was younger and it's what she does in the kindergarden chapter.

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

Is that really a what if ? Shimamura's mom said that Shima was having a habit to run with her arms in front of her when she was younger and it's what she does in the kindergarden chapter.

Yes, because it took the actual child versions of the characters and put then in the what if, since Shimamura ran like that in the original story, she would run like that in the what if.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yes, it is. It is specifically pointed out in the chapter that Adachi was not actually there in the real past. Nor was Yashiro with her fourth wall breaking, obviously.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah, if it were just Yashiro I could have shrugged it off because hey weird alien, but Adachi was already very clearly established as never having met Shimamura back when they were kids.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I feel bad for Adachi. I really do. But this chapter was too much, even for her. I am not in any position to tell her how she feels but in my opinion, I mean, the way I see it, her feelings for Shimamura was more of an obssession than love. Rather than wanting Shimamura to be happy, she wanted Shimamura to be with her and only her, without taking Shimamura's feelings into consideration. I would not be surprised if Adachi turned into Joe-like person from You series and just put Shimamura in a cage once she get tired of Adachi. LOL, but kidding aside, all the things she said in the call are truly terrifying, so insane. Shimamura's response is understandable.

Tarumi's affection is so different from Adachi's. She is not possessive, and seems to really want Shimamura to be happy. She is the safest choice, not too bothersome. Knowing Shimamura's personality, it was natural to believe that she'd choose her over Adachi as the latter is too high maintenance. But we all know that she will go for Adachi so I'm really excited to see why and how it happened.

Thanks again team for this. Looking forward to next chapter hundred times than usual. So wanna see how their relationship will be after this.

joined Jan 25, 2017

I feel bad for Adachi. I really do. But this chapter was too much, even for her. I am not in any position to tell her how she feels but in my opinion, I mean, the way I see it, her feelings for Shimamura was more of an obssession than love. Rather than wanting Shimamura to be happy, she wanted Shimamura to be with her and only her, without taking Shimamura's feelings into consideration. I would not be surprised if Adachi turned into Joe-like person from You series and just put Shimamura in a cage once she get tired of Adachi. LOL, but kidding aside, all the things she said in the call are truly terrifying, so insane. Shimamura's response is understandable.

Tarumi's affection is so different from Adachi's. She is not possessive, and seems to really want Shimamura to be happy. She is the safest choice, not too bothersome. Knowing Shimamura's personality, it was natural to believe that she'd choose her over Adachi as the latter is too high maintenance. But we all know that she will go for Adachi so I'm really excited to see why and how it happened.

Thanks again team for this. Looking forward to next chapter hundred times than usual. So wanna see how their relationship will be after this.

In fairness, we only barely know Tarumi compared to Adachi, so saying she's clearly the healthier option might be tempting fate a bit, lol.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

In fairness, we only barely know Tarumi compared to Adachi, so saying she's clearly the healthier option might be tempting fate a bit, lol.

But we KNOW Adachi and the way she is now, definitely not the healthier option. Lol.

Caf17338-61fd-484a-9549-c799f3691222
joined May 29, 2011

Whooo I know that tone of dismissal from Shimamura only too well, having been in Adachi’s place (and having had a similar, not quite so drastic meltdown, but a meltdown nonetheless). I would be very shocked if she and Shimamura managed to repair this and have something more real and mature come of it. I agree with someone’s earlier comment: Adachi is a victim of some serious emotional neglect and is in dire need of a therapist before she goes completely over the edge.

Letys%20try%20this%20again
joined Mar 26, 2017

I couldn't help being reminded of Hatoko's legendary outburst from Inou Battle.

I knew that phone call reminded of something. I still watch that scene from time to time.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

But we KNOW Adachi and the way she is now, definitely not the healthier option. Lol.

I thought about that too, like Tarumi seems like the way better option right now in terms of emotional stability. And if Shimamura does end up choosing Adachi, how would that even come to be and what would the story say that says about Shimamura? The emotionally insecure and emotionally distant pairing is a pretty common real-life dynamic and it'll be interesting how it plays out here.

I'm sure though that Tarumi stands no chance. And I believe that she's actually not that different from Adachi. She has the same manner of fishing for compliments/comments, the same barely restrained jealousy at Shimamura's sister and another unknown person tagging along, the same randomly asking Shimamura to do weird shit like sit in the sun for three hours to get a portrait painted. She's not really any "healthier" of an option.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I thought about that too, like Tarumi seems like the way better option right now in terms of emotional stability. And if Shimamura does end up choosing Adachi, how would that even come to be and what would the story say that says about Shimamura? The emotionally insecure and emotionally distant pairing is a pretty common real-life dynamic and it'll be interesting how it plays out here.

I'm sure though that Tarumi stands no chance. And I believe that she's actually not that different from Adachi. She has the same manner of fishing for compliments/comments, the same barely restrained jealousy at Shimamura's sister and another unknown person tagging along, the same randomly asking Shimamura to do weird shit like sit in the sun for three hours to get a portrait painted. She's not really any "healthier" of an option.

Maybe we need a 3rd girl for Shimamura, a normal one. Hahaha Why do our main girl always attracts autists and weird ones?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yes, to put it very simply, Tarumi is a more talkative version of Adachi. They act the same way, it's just that Tarumi know Shima from before and also is less socially awkward than the gay mess that is Adachi.

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

Sigh...why do I always end up rooting for the best/childhood friend...(RIP Touko x Sayaka)

Thank you, and yes. The legacy, and what could have been, will live on in our hearts...

joined Jan 25, 2017

Thank you, and yes. The legacy, and what could have been, will live on in our hearts...

She met a lovely girl in college, it all ended happily, god blessed...

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

That dismissal hurt. Truly.

But it's unreasonable to expect Shimamura to handle any of that. I don't know if it was respectful for Shimamura to have stayed on the call through to the end or if she was merely in shock (and we may not find out what was going on in her head at the time...with how this novel has been).

I love the pace of this LN. It took a while for me to get used to the quickly shifting POV (but I think my confusion was exacerbated by the mismatch in the numbering with the chapters).

I'm not a fan of lots of side characters, but I think I'm really just feeling a bit more annoyed by them than usual because of the lack of progress in how Adachi is dealing with things. Hopefully, this emotionally charged exchange is the catalyst for the next stage.

Shima is so good at buffering, I wonder.. -- Where is chapter five? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

... ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

I think it's unfair, but the ball is squarely in Shimamura's court. She clearly sees something in Adachi, I don't. Hah...

(I know it's a cultural difference, but wow these girls are indirect in verbal exchanges. The most direct comments have come in jest, when Shimamura is teasing Adachi; and boy am I thankful for those moments.)

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

But still, it was so heartbreaking. The manga was sad enough and then they had to make a Hitoma Iruma's version which made the story more tragic. The end of volume 2 second chapter made me cry, no kidding.

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

But still, it was so heartbreaking. The manga was sad enough and then they had to make a Hitoma Iruma's version which made the story more tragic. The end of volume 2 second chapter made me cry, no kidding.

True on both counts. I would feel so incredibly betrayed and be flipping tables if they didn't give Sayaka her own happy ending, though it was still, as said above, heartbreaking. I have yet to read the novel, but if Adachi and Shimamura are any indication I can only imagine what Regarding Saeki Sayaka will be like. I don't know if my heart will be able to handle it TAT

joined Oct 9, 2019

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick!

Let's just say that if anyone made a call like that to me, I'd would file for a restraint order and tell them to stay the fuck away from me for good.

LMAO

To reply you must either login or sign up.