Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I think she's clearly hetero just looking for some girl ship (thanks Makoto-sensei) with some girl friend out there, I'll be following nonetheless, for research purposes.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I just like her philosophy on donuts

joined Dec 16, 2017

Explain doughnut holes then! Those were AMAZEBALLS.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I'm not complaining about it at all, but there seems to be an uptick in OL and Adult Life yuri lately.

I feel blessed. It's so refreshing and perfectly coincides with my life trajectory.

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

Self-hating characters always remind me of myself, so much that I feel almost physical pain. But i don't hate pain. It wakes me up better than coffee.

Now if Satou-san was so stoic due to her natural low emotional drive, this story would be like two halves of mine coming together, that'd be super nice.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

I'm glad we're getting more adult life yuri lately. I was absorbed from the first page on this one

Jpeg_20190416_171921
joined May 10, 2018

I am really liking this one so far, very promising start!

Lain
joined Dec 28, 2017

Promising start. Awesome chapter!

Cat
joined Jan 21, 2015

uwu

They're good because they have a hole

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Is this a common thing? I can actually relate to the girls that know they are gay from childhood more, my own preference was something I knew from childhood. I guess some people don't figure it out right away? I can understand outright denial but just not realizing is a bit odd.

Still, looks cute, I have high hopes for this.

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

I like how this story is actually digging into the negative psychological effects of heterosocialization. It's something my sister suffered from when she was growing up. She's ace/aro and grew up surrounded by media and friends and teachers and parents who would tell her to get a boyfriend, that being happy is to be in a relationship. So she fabricated feelings for people she felt nothing for, thinking that that's just how everyone is. It wasn't until high school when she started thinking she was broken, that something was wrong with her because she wasn't able to do what everyone else was doing so successfully around her. Once she found out about asexuality, her entire life made sense.

It's a common yuri trope to have the "I like guys [heart beats near female friend]" which is imposter syndrome. But many of these stories just treat it as a narrative trope rather than an exploration of a serious psychological issue. What I really like about this story is that it does that exploration. It's showing the MC's anxiety, her feeling of brokenness and being unable to fulfill what society expects of her. She directly references media she consumes and how her friends constantly tell her to get a boyfriend. The last page of the chapter is when she finally feels "normal," feeling what everyone else has been telling her she'd feel for men.

I tried dating a guy once in college. He was really sweet, very fun to talk to, intelligent, good-looking, a solid career in the sciences, called me "a beautiful person," made me breakfast in bed, but I could not see myself with him. I'd distract myself during more intimate conversations, thinking about lesbian fanfiction with my back turned to him. I'd start to aggressively think about women whenever he started talking romantic. That moment in this manga when MC felt sick imagining a life with the man she was with, I really related to her. I know that feeling so well.

Tl;dr, this story is really important. It's doing something I don't often see with this trope that I think is important to talk about. Heteronormativity makes queer people feel inadequate, broken, insecure. And this manga's such an excellent portrayal of that experience.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Is this a common thing? I can actually relate to the girls that know they are gay from childhood more, my own preference was something I knew from childhood. I guess some people don't figure it out right away? I can understand outright denial but just not realizing is a bit odd.

Still, looks cute, I have high hopes for this.

I donno how common it is but some people really are in the dark about it until something or someone happens. I read about a girl who didn't realize it until she started picking up on the bisexual undertones between Kitty pride and Emma Frost. She was an adult. Another woman didn't know until she was in college and found herself hopping a woman she met was gay.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I just like her philosophy on donuts

This made me grin too

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Funny I remember Lard Lad had a similar philosophy

Also, it's really dope to see Usui Shio's first major work since I've really enjoyed all her oneshots
And for it to be about adult ladies with plenty of angst and relatable issues
It's fucking killer man!

I'm gonna drop this song here as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUsy8ml47w

joined Dec 4, 2017

i love it when the younger is the taller one
also love the art and storyy, keep going!

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 12:56AM

Snapdragon beans
Screen%20shot%202018-12-15%20at%202.44.04%20am
joined Oct 27, 2018

adamatari, I think that some people just don't realize. I was like that.
I had very close friendships with girls, and hated when they started to date, and wanted to be around them all the time etc. etc.
I knew about gay people, and stuff, but it never clicked for me that I could be attracted to women. That was for other people, not me, and I'd just be a really good ally and stuff.
Some people do realize when they are younger, but others it takes a little longer, and that's okay. When I realized, I kept trying to be "normal." There's pressure in society, and I was afraid.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Well well

joined Aug 21, 2017

A manga about self-hatred and learning to love one's self and others? Now this I like.

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Relatable stuff, looking forward to more of this series!

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Sometimes I feel like weebs are plagued with self-hatred and doubt

I feel the being broken part in general since I don't have strong feelings for any relations in my life, be it family, friends, or romance and I very rarely get emotional when my friends are gushing out at a reunion or something

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

It's awesome that this author got serialized, I'm fond of their writing approach towards characters with issues/who are just different. Plus donuts. If there was a donut tag, life would be good.

joined Jul 13, 2019

Its love

joined Sep 13, 2018

I like how this story is actually digging into the negative psychological effects of heterosocialization. ... And this manga's such an excellent portrayal of that experience.

I agree a ton with this. The show of compulsory heterosexuality is SO good, from the strong "Well I gotta find a guy! Even though he does nothing really for me even when he is nice" to the odd feeling of illness at even the casual touch from a guy you know who's Into You and the depressive feelings of brokenness and all from society. I really kind of hope this yuri digs more into comphet and all and doesn't just leave it at just this. Just seeing Satou help Uno there was really nice and I really wanna see Uno grow to be a better and happy person with Satou now hah.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This looks greeeat, some My Beloved Kawano-san vibes.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

If anyone was curious, this is one of the women I mentioned earlier. https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2014/10/kitty-queer-by-sigrid-ellis/
Felt odd paraphrasing someone else's experience and I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to find this so quickly.
I also know damn near nothing about Kitty Pryde and Emma Frost from the comics.

To reply you must either login or sign up.