Forum › Can't Defy the Lonely Girl discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Skyrin posted:

Ah yes, another appearance of the "you will definitely get sick from walking in the rain" syndrome that all manga/anime characters seem to share. Well at least it was not just that but also--

Sudden thunderstorm is always the best kind of wingman.

Yeah, exactly.

I can't complain because they always lead to "let's take a shower..." and that's always good hahaha

Hell yeah homegirl getting hit with the yuri, thinking about how pretty honda-san is, wanting to hold hands some more and then those shower thoughts and that ending is so precious. I'm really loving this.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 9:33PM by

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

So, idk if they knew or not, but if Honda-san were a guy, would the parents be as lax about their daughter's whereabouts. Couldn't they have a cab bring her home? Not that I care, since Honda is a girl, and that makes it ok for me

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 10:22PM

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

So, idk if they knew or not, but if Honda-san were a guy, would the parents be as lax about their daughter's whereabouts. Couldn't they have a cab bring her home? Not that I care, since Honda is a girl, and that makes it ok for me

Neglectful parents is just another thing for them to bond over! It all works out.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

That was a chapter full of perversity and depravity. What a bunch of sinners.

joined Dec 18, 2018

Neglectful parents is just another thing for them to bond over! It all works out.

From another point of view, her parents trust their daughters judgement enough to not freak out.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I'm excited to see more of the teacher's entrances! The locker was good.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I like the trajectory this seems to be going.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

What’s with this epidemic of anime high schoolers living alone

joined Jan 11, 2014

Anybody else notice the weird ass feet shot stuck at the end of ch 3. Took me off guard xD

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ I didn't notice it, and now that you mentioned it, I don't want to notice it.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

In this case, I don't think it's supposed to be treated as normal. It's weird and I think the teacher knew about it which is what led to this whole situation.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Ahh, and now we see the title's origins. She's a pushover, and we knew that, but now we begin to see why the other one is called the lonely girl.

joined Jan 6, 2018

I like this

joined Nov 14, 2014

I really want an anime of this. Can we hope?

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Reading this again tonight. This is just sweet.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I really want an anime of this. Can we hope?

We can hope. But that hope is basically all we got when it comes to that, at this point.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 8:34AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s a very common trope. Sometimes it serves to indicate something significant about the character (they’re exceptionally lonely, or neglected, or they’ve had to act grown-up prematurely, etc.), but sometimes it’s just a “clear the decks” plot device that avoids including extraneous characters and allows the character to go places and do things without reference to parental control (and in romance series allows couples to be alone together).

There are plenty of series where the characters may not literally live alone, but the parents are never seen even if they supposedly exist.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

It’s a very common trope. Sometimes it serves to indicate something significant about the character (they’re exceptionally lonely, or neglected, or they’ve had to act grown-up prematurely, etc.), but sometimes it’s just a “clear the decks” plot device that avoids including extraneous characters and allows the character to go places and do things without reference to parental control (and in romance series allows couples to be alone together).

I remember one famous fantasy writer (I think it was Neil Gaiman, or maybe Diana Wynne Jones) who said the first thing you have to do in Teen/YA adventures is "kill the parents".

joined Oct 22, 2018

I remember one famous fantasy writer (I think it was Neil Gaiman, or maybe Diana Wynne Jones) who said the first thing you have to do in Teen/YA adventures is "kill the parents".

Good thing most writers interpreted that metaphorically. Imagine if most writers were to use that advice in the literal meaning!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Good thing most writers interpreted that metaphorically. Imagine if most writers were to use that advice in the literal meaning!

It's not quite as metaphorical as you think. It is incredibly common for parents to be dead or killed in this genre. If it's a serious action adventure the killed part is more common, while generally "My parents died when I was young" or the like are used excessively too.
In manga they prefer the nebulous "away for work/overseas for busines trips" trope, which is probably a bit healthier, but the complete abscence of any trace of parenthood just adds neglect to the list of consequences.

joined Oct 22, 2018

It's not quite as metaphorical as you think. It is incredibly common for parents to be dead or killed in this genre. If it's a serious action adventure the killed part is more common, while generally "My parents died when I was young" or the like are used excessively too.
In manga they prefer the nebulous "away for work/overseas for busines trips" trope, which is probably a bit healthier, but the complete abscence of any trace of parenthood just adds neglect to the list of consequences.

For some reason, this created an urge inside me to make such an element to one of the backstories of characters in my pre-planned but yet to be started ADFOW series... Y'know, the one that I spoiled who knows how long ago that it will have a yuri couple... Tho I think I'ma reserve a fate like that - loss of one parent or other family member - for that Vietnamese guy character, and friendly rival (for military fame) of one of the Rojavan yuris.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 12:01PM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

The last pages were so lovely I almost cried. SO SWEET!

joined Jun 12, 2019

This is good and it’s cute.

To reply you must either login or sign up.