Forum › H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu discussion

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Oh fun looking forward to this new yuri!

What do you mean there's only thinly-veiled racism and weird monsters.

If you want thinly-veiled racism, try Tolkien. In Lovecraft world, the whities get eaten as often as the colored people. Actually, much more often.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

i worked really hard on this one!

Thank you so much!!!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

This is so beautiful. You can feel the deep love the mangaka has for the original work. The same feeling I get from Alan Moore's lovecraftian series (Courtyard/Neonomicon/Providence), which are as well a splendid example of how to adapt Lovecraft to comic format.

Thanks to everyone who worked on the scanlation!

joined Sep 3, 2017

To the translator/scanalators: Thanks so much for your hard work, this is great!

To everyone else going "no yuri, lol not on my dynasty lmfao": Please don't. You can clearly see in the tags what's in it so there's no need to put a snide comment in the forum and putting down the team's hard work

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

Ah yes the beloved HP. Lovecraftian horror story on my favorite anime comic lesbian site, what a fitting addition. (but seriously whens chapter 2 comin)

joined Jul 26, 2016

What do you mean there's only thinly-veiled racism

At least it bothers being thinly veiled. In the context of the early 20th century US (and world in general) that was outright progressive.

Not that old Howie was exactly generous to white people either, just look at all the unspeakable shit those routinely get up to in his works.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

lets not make this thread about debating Lovecraft's racism. yes he was a racist, an antisemite, etc. there is no doubt about that. read his letters, or even some more of his fiction and it will slap you in the face. i believe Thuthu is one of the less egregious of his works and is still worth reading. when i consume media by shitty people, i try to acknowledge that they were/are terrible and move on. sometimes their bias or prejudice is obvious throughout the entire work, and i dont finish it. i dont feel that is the case here.

i read tons of yuri where i overlook something that i find to be problematic because the rest of the work is interesting/cute.

but seriously whens chapter 2 comin

probably about a month. even with all of us working on it, its still pretty grueling. so much redraw ;;

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 1:40PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Lovecraft was a product of the times. Nobody expects authors from back then to be very liberal on their worldviews in many regards. The good thing about his horror works is that they focus on things very unrelated to such topics most of the time.
Ultimately his protagonists - and thus the ones being assailed by cosmic horrors or corrupted - are always caucasian. And the monsters tend to be so inhuman that race allegories are hard to justify even for those who look for them (believe me I have seen people try that with the fish people of Innsmouth).

I think it is best to view Lovecraftian horror as humanity vs. the supernatural. Blissful ignorance vs. true and mindbreaking knowledge. The fear of the unknown (or indeed unknowable). Those themes will never stop being relevant and that is why these stories are timeless despite taking place in a very specific era.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 2:02PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

but seriously whens chapter 2 comin

probably about a month. even with all of us working on it, its still pretty grueling. so much redraw ;;

You have our utmost gratitude for all your hard work.

joined Apr 6, 2019

You know... when I saw the first pages...

A somewhat effeminate dude, with long flowing blond hair and a pretty face, chased by two guys who are obviously sailors (wearing sailor clothes and sailor caps) and who, one can assume, have just come to port after several months at sea and are now going crazy with pent-up sexual urges...

Well, laugh at me if you want, but at first I thought those two sailor guys wanted to catch Pretty Blondie for a completely different reason than some obscure cult business. :3 Must be that I read too much BL manga lately.

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Huh, the prequel for Futari Monologue is looking great!

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Huh, the prequel for Futari Monologue is looking great!

i laughed a hearty belly laugh. keep an eye out for more Futari Monologue soon ;3

also, i do think generalj is correct. lovecraft was paranoid and probably mentally ill. i believe a lot of his prejudice comes from an intense distrust for people, and that manifested as racism. even still he's probably above average for his day.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 4:22PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

also, i do think generalj is correct. lovecraft was paranoid and probably mentally ill. i believe a lot of his prejudice comes from an intense distrust for people, and that manifested as racism. even still he's probably above average for his day.

I'd like to add this: whatever his beliefs, he kept them private, as something to be meditated upon in solitude or talked about with friends, and never bothered anyone trying to promote them. He never discriminated against any person, never took a public stance in politics or religion, never endorsed a party or a church or a candidate, and I'm more or less certain that his only work where he speaks about contemporary social issues is a short story were he denounces the evils of alcohol and defends the Prohibition Act.

Trying to find coded racist messages in his Cthulhu cycle is a pointless endeavor. Those messages exist only in the eye of the beholder, not in the texts.

I motion that we stop talking about this now. Everything has been said already, no need to go on.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Em no. His worldview was everything to him and it took over his writing. Whatever he thought about topic, it was bleeding into his stories. Saying his political views weren't present there and anything you can get from his books depends on the person reading, is just dishonest. If you want to learn about him in entertaining way.

joined Aug 21, 2017

inb4 cosmic horror yuri

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Em no. His worldview (blah blah blah)

Y'know, pal, when both redrawer/typesetter Runrin and the regular commenters ask you to please stop peddling your off-topic tripe, you fucking stop peddling your off-topic tripe.

We don't need diatribes and we don't need links to other people's diatribes. The web is full of blather and nonsense against H.P.L. and his works, and, if anyone wants to waste their time reading that crap, they can find loads of the stuff all by themselves and without your help. As for the rest of us, we don't care, and we don't want to see it polluting our forum.

Now fucking shut up. If you keep trying to bring off-topic political ballyhoo to the forum, be aware that the moderators are swift in stepping on misbehavers.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nah, talking about the actual author of the story you're reading isn't what I'd call off topic. Lovecraft wasn't really someone to be admired outside of his one stunning trick of founding a genre. Frankly, I don't think he was even that good a writer, given how overwrought his prose invariably was. But he did create a good universe, so props for that.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

btw, I see an Algernon Blackwood quote there. I heartily recommend The Willows by him, which treads similar "dread of something unseen" ground as A Colour Out of Space, but is much better written. I read it recently and it's fantastic.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Now fucking shut up. If you keep trying to bring off-topic political ballyhoo to the forum, be aware that the moderators are swift in stepping on misbehavers.

Don't think that talking about the author of the story is going off topic thought.And did i miss some messages about a previous "off topic" because i don't see any off topic discussions. Also even if it's off topic,you know you can say it nicely and not throwing insults like that. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Frankly, I don't think he was even that good a writer, given how overwrought his prose invariably was.

It's funny how overwrought his writing can be while also somehow not being descriptive enough: "The horrible thing is so horrible that I cannot describe its horribleness in words!"

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Frankly, I don't think he was even that good a writer, given how overwrought his prose invariably was.

It's funny how overwrought his writing can be while also somehow not being descriptive enough: "The horrible thing is so horrible that I cannot describe its horribleness in words!"

I'm reminded in a way of E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series, which starts in the first book with ships that have unimaginable power that defies description, and then get more powerful in every book after that. Always made me laugh.

Rsz_1screenshot_2021-08-18_at_11-24-04_the_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_fr%c3%a9d%c3%a9rica_miyamoto_shiki_ichinose_%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc_-_pixiv
joined Apr 25, 2018

To the translator/scanalators: Thanks so much for your hard work, this is great!

To everyone else going "no yuri, lol not on my dynasty lmfao": Please don't. You can clearly see in the tags what's in it so there's no need to put a snide comment in the forum and putting down the team's hard work

It's not because it's bad, it's because it's extremely unexpected. Seeing 'Lovecraft' as author on Dynasty-Scans is literally unthinkable to me before.

joined Apr 6, 2019

And did i miss some messages about a previous "off topic" because i don't see any off topic discussions. Also even if it's off topic, you know you can say it nicely and not throwing insults like that. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Do you know who runrin is? Redrawer and typesetter. Worked like a mule on this manga (as there was a truckload of redrawing to do) just for you, just so that you (and other people like you) would be able to read and enjoy the story.

Well, runrin asked something from us, in this very page, just a few messages up. This is what she asked:

lets not make this thread about debating Lovecraft's racism.

Now do you feel like a silly little fool?

joined Apr 6, 2019

Nah, talking about the actual author of the story you're reading isn't what I'd call off topic.

Nezchan, fair point, but when the people from the team who worked hard to bring this manga to us specifically ask us to talk about the manga itself and not start a debate on issues like real-life racism ― well, actually, I don't know what's your usual take on this, but... my own gut feeling is that it would be good etiquette to honor their wishes. Maybe it's just me...

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 9:54PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And did i miss some messages about a previous "off topic" because i don't see any off topic discussions. Also even if it's off topic, you know you can say it nicely and not throwing insults like that. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Do you know who runrin is? Redrawer and typesetter. Worked like a mule on this manga (as there was a truckload of redrawing to do) just for you, just so that you (and other people like you) would be able to read and enjoy the story.

Well, runrin asked something from us, in this very page, just a few messages up. This is what she asked:

lets not make this thread about debating Lovecraft's racism.

Now do you feel like a silly little fool?

I didn't read cause not really my cup of tea. I get that she work hard on it but what Nevri talk about wasn't really off topic and not asking for an answer or a debate. As hard as Runrin work,she is not really an authority do what people can or can't talk on the topic and even Nezchan don't see as off-topic. And that still doesn't mean KasexYamada was to jump at the throat of Nevri like that. Could be civilised and ask calmly to stop it and not directly insult Nevri. KasexYamada still make a fool of itself by getting angry like that.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 9:52PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.