Forum › The End Of The World And A Witch's Love discussion

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Nice art and a great premise. Loving it so far, looks like a promising manga.

joined Mar 5, 2019

And love is not allowed for witches? How do you even control falling in love?

You have to punch them as hard as you can in the face everytime you sense that you're catching feelings.

joined Jul 24, 2018

I think I've seen the love makes you lose your powers thing before in another yuri manga, where iirc the protagonist's power was to make sweets? Forgot the title, she had a fortune teller mother if I recall. Anyway, I wonder if there's some cultural history behind the trope

joined Oct 27, 2018

I think it comes down to the translator's preference. The whole honorifics thing is so deeply ingrained in Japanese culture and dialogue that it often simply can't be translated into English without losing a lot of the meaning. Some translators prefer to leave in the honorifics in order to preserve that context and meaning and some prefer to translate what they can into nice smooth flowing 100% English while losing some of the meaning. It's not a big deal either way.

I don't see the point in people getting worked up about something so trivial regardless of their preference,

I'm not really worked up about that. I think it comes across as a little odd, but overall not a big deal. I was just annoyed at that other person's condescending attitude.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 12:05AM

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

omg yes I loved this author's other series I'm so glad they're doing more yuri ahhhh

joined Dec 5, 2018

boomer, bye bye top place student Alice-san

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Hm...I like the art and the characters are cute, but the story seems a bit pointless to me. Why take revenge if the people who burned witches lived hundreds of years ago?

And love is not allowed for witches? How do you even control falling in love?

That first part is pointless but still effect us irl today. There are people who hate Germany for what they did even tho everyone from that time are long passed. It's dumb and pointless but it's still a major thing that goes on irl.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

I think I've seen the love makes you lose your powers thing before in another yuri manga, where iirc the protagonist's power was to make sweets? Forgot the title, she had a fortune teller mother if I recall. Anyway, I wonder if there's some cultural history behind the trope

Salomelic. It's on dynasty, if anyone's curious

joined Mar 18, 2018

So this is basically little witch academia but not at all? Maybe this is what they wanted lwa to be from the start?
Also im i the only one that thinks that she won't lose her powers if she falls in love?

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 2:42AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I've seen that bit about a witch losing her powers when she falls in love bofore. Is that just a coincidence, or is that part of some witch folklore? Like a vampire's compulsion to stop and count spilt salt grains.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 3:17AM

J_Alfred_Prufrock
joined Jul 22, 2018

Totally into it. I like how most characters have discernible personality traits. Even Alice who looks a little bland at times, is helping out mostly because she doesn't want to get in trouble.

The art could do with some darker shadows tho.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hm...I like the art and the characters are cute, but the story seems a bit pointless to me. Why take revenge if the people who burned witches lived hundreds of years ago?

According to some feminist scholars, the European witch hunts were a symptom and a manifestation of the new capitalist and nationalist societal order's drive to re-subjugate women and to confine them to the homemaker role that was viewed by this new order as necessary to support the man as bread-winner. (Of course, history showed that this idea fell apart as soon as the demands of the growing industry forced women (and children) to work alongside men, but even then, they were still expected to pull a double shift at work and as homemakers.) Anyway, this subjugation was carried out using terror tactics, such as public executions of the most educated and thus powerful women of society, referred as "wise women" or "witches", and when they ran out of those, they continued with random girls until European women were effectively beaten into silence and submission (for a while, at least).

With this in mind, it would be interesting to see if the "revenge" the teachers speak of in this manga is actually aimed at upending the modern nation-states and the global capitalist elite, both of whom ended up profiting the most from witch-burning. The fact that the witches' surreptitious survival is explicitly linked to them entering the service of future nation states gives me some hope, but then again, I don't really expect a Japanese manga artist to express a radical left agenda in a story about magical lesbians.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 3:36AM

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Re-subjugate women? Why burn male witches and cats too then? It was pretty much another satanic panic back then, just with different laws.

And the comparison to germany is understandable, but eh...witches belong to pop-culture today, not a lot of modern people would be against the idea of witches. People who hate germany usually aren't up to date with history and still think Hitler is alive...

joined Sep 1, 2017

According to some feminist scholars, the European witch hunts were a symptom and a manifestation of the new capitalist and nationalist societal order's drive to re-subjugate women and to confine them to the homemaker role that was viewed by this new order as necessary to support the man as bread-winner. (Of course, history showed that this idea fell apart as soon as the demands of the growing industry forced women (and children) to work alongside men, but even then, they were still expected to pull a double shift at work and as homemakers.) Anyway, this subjugation was carried out using terror tactics, such as public executions of the most educated and thus powerful women of society, referred as "wise women" or "witches", and when they ran out of those, they continued with random girls until European women were effectively beaten into silence and submission (for a while, at least).

With this in mind, it would be interesting to see if the "revenge" the teachers speak of in this manga is actually aimed at upending the modern nation-states and the global capitalist elite, both of whom ended up profiting the most from witch-burning. The fact that the witches' surreptitious survival is explicitly linked to them entering the service of future nation states gives me some hope, but then again, I don't really expect a Japanese manga artist to express a radical left agenda in a story about magical lesbians

Isn't any story with homosexual heros inherently supporting a leftist agenda? After all portraying homosexuality as normal is a blow to the right's bigotry and homophobe. Also lesbians strikes at the heart of the right's patriarchal views of family.

Edit: That is why the religious fanatics fought so hard against the "give Elsa a princess" campaign for Frozen 2.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 4:23AM

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

This is seems rather good. The Mari seems to be able to either heal or control time, while Alice might be able to steal or copy other's powers? Would make sense considering she keeps saying she wants this or that ability. It's an interesting setting, I think I'll follow it to see what...

Don'd fall in love or you lose your powers.

... as I was saying, it WAS an interesting setting before the ending resorted to cheap drama garbage.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 4:37AM

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

With this in mind, it would be interesting to see if the "revenge" the teachers speak of in this manga is actually aimed at upending the modern nation-states and the global capitalist elite, both of whom ended up profiting the most from witch-burning. The fact that the witches' surreptitious survival is explicitly linked to them entering the service of future nation states gives me some hope, but then again, I don't really expect a Japanese manga artist to express a radical left agenda in a story about magical lesbians.

The theory sounds like a very...creative interpretation of history.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oooh... a good start.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Indeed. I am not a scholar of history myself, but I enjoy reading different perspectives on historical events, especially if they result in creative fiction. :-)

joined Sep 13, 2018

Lovely art and I like the dynamic of a sorta out of place individual (emphasized further with her being japanese in a clearly european setting) with incredibly power and a sorta teacher's pet class A sort. Not a fan of the "Fall in love and lose your powers" type stuff though. Fantasy is fun and interesting especially because of the magic and that kind of plot point immediately sets up either a kind of sad "Well! Go live a normal now, at least you'll be happy with each other" ending or some subversion that gets kinda weird with a whole either untold "Oh I guess they expected you to fall in love with a guy" heteronormativity angle or one that tips into "Well lesbian sex isn't REAL sex" type stuff.

I guess I just want more explicit lesbian stuff with notable fantasy elements, but still I'll keep checking in on this one.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I've heard similar theories before. Mostly that branding wise women as witches and heretics is the catholic church's way of limiting women's power in society. although the part about it being a capitalist and nationalist sceme, is new to me.

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

I mean...even other women accused women and girls to be witches. Everyone that was somehow different (blemishes, being too pretty, single women, widows) could be a target, but men could be targeted too. Sometimes people just wanted to get rid of someone, they were jealous or had other petty reasons. The religous panic did the rest.

You can make everything into an agenda but the "burn women with power because we can't handle strong women" thing seems as likely as the "gay people want to take over the world" theroy.

And yeah, the loosing power thing sucks...I like lesbian witches as a setting, but falling in love (sometimes it has to be a human) is a dumb rule. Witches need love, too. It would only make sense to me if they have to make a vow to only love and worship the devil / whatever magic entity they might have.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

You know that the author is Japanese right ?

I've seen Japanese authors forgo honorifics when writing about fantasy Western societies; for example in 男装お嬢様の冒険適齢期. They weren't super consistent with it and of course words like "sensei" can't just be ignored, but it was an interesting idea, I felt.

Otherwise I can already tell that this plot is going to piss me off. So the naive and innocent Japanese girl convinces the badass girl that vengeance is baaad, bla bla. Blergh.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 5:51AM

joined May 26, 2016

I can tell right now the "don't fall in love or lose your powers" will be used for cheap drama lol. Could they have like picked something better lol

joined Sep 1, 2017

I've also heard theories that link major historical witch burnings with ourbreaks of a fungus that infects the rye plant. It causes many symptoms when ingested, like convulsions and dilutions, giving the appearance of being "bewitched". It could be what Kujira ment by "In the 17th century, humans were haunted by events beyond their comprehension".

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 6:23AM

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

P a r t t w o w h e n

To reply you must either login or sign up.