Forum › Even Though We're Adults discussion

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

It's probably best read this just as an observer. Don't get caught into looking for guilty parties. Just enjoy the mess and be thankful it's not your own. :)

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

It's probably best read this just as an observer. Don't get caught into looking for guilty parties. Just enjoy the mess and be thankful it's not your own. :)

Sometimes it's nice to just experience a story without worrying about casting a judgement. These are characters, not real people, nobody's a real person actually getting hurt by anything that's happened in the story.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

As for the sleeping in thing, I think more than judging him, it's supposed to give us insight into their marriage. They get along well, but all the romance is gone. It's like the rings that neither of them wear.

I agree with you about the title, and the bbq. Clearly no one wanted it to end up like that, but Akari impulsively agreed to go, then impulsively invited Aya, then impulsively invited the husband. Aya told him about it without thinking, and then he agreed because he's sort of in shock and isn't thinking clearly.

They seem like nice agreeable people, and being thoughtlessly agreeable seems to have caused them problems (probably more than just the BBQ, I think the having a kid thing too).

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

As for the sleeping in thing, I think more than judging him, it's supposed to give us insight into their marriage. They get along well, but all the romance is gone. It's like the rings that neither of them wear.

I agree with you about the title, and the bbq. Clearly no one wanted it to end up like that, but Akari impulsively agreed to go, then impulsively invited Aya, then impulsively invited the husband. Aya told him about it without thinking, and then he agreed because he's sort of in shock and isn't thinking clearly.

They seem like nice agreeable people, and being thoughtlessly agreeable seems to have caused them problems (probably more than just the BBQ, I think the having a kid thing too).

Yeah that too. It's like they automatically fall back on politeness when they don't know how to feel.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I positively love Shimura Takako's works. All of them.

Her characters feel so real. They are fucked up, make bad decisions, are cowards, or just throw themselves forward because they are desperate. They change, they mature, or just can't move on... They are very real. I've rarely read manga where the characters reactions are so believable.

The husband's reaction is totally what you'd expect from a normal "good guy". You can't help but feel bad for him, but it does not mean he should "win". Ayano should just choose her own life.

I don't feel her manga are "edgy". She puts her characters in complicated situations and derives believable reactions from them. I never felt any discrepancy in her characters behavior along the story. She's really consistent in portraying people.

Lean too heavily into realism and you develop a sort of dreary feeling that isn't very fun to read for me.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

this is getting interesting. refreshing to see stories about adults that seem like they could actually exist. its a bit depressing, but it's also good. but i gotta be in the right mood for it. sometimes i just need something bright and cheery

0b955f79-53d7-4077-9788-189760d17f51
joined Aug 21, 2013

Wow, it’s refreshing to see these characters process and express their feelings to others.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Lean too heavily into realism and you develop a sort of dreary feeling that isn't very fun to read for me.

It sounds like you, too, have read Anton Chekhov.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Wow, it’s refreshing to see these characters process and express their feelings to others.

totally agree

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Finally, an update! But now it feels even more complicated and I feel bad for everyone involved, this probably isn't going to be one of those "feel good" stories now that I realize this.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I am feeling practically zen

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

well someone likes netorare

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

First time I'm relating to a male character and in a yuri manga no less

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Whores. And a cheating whore. Fuck off.

Yes, by all means—please do take your advice.

Good one.
Now we need something to burn the guy who wrote this:

The fuck is this shit?
Poor guy did nothing to deserve this
You two stupid pussy eaters
I'm gonna lose my shit

joined Jul 31, 2015

I feel a little bad for her husband, until now he seems to be a good person but that's why I like this manga, the character's personalities are perfect

joined May 1, 2013

It sounds like you, too, have read Anton Chekhov.

Chekhov is hilarious and it would absolutely never occur to me anyone would think otherwise, if people didn't say so.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

well someone likes netorare

Nah, fuck that take. Right in the ear.

Here's why I hate that: It suggests that this story is all about Wataru. Like his feelings of jealousy and frustration are more important than Akari's loneliness or Ayano's guilt and uncertainty.

It isn't just about him. It's about all of them, and trying to figure out how to deal with the situation they've found themselves in.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

It isn't just about him. It's about all of them, and trying to figure out how to deal with the situation they've found themselves in.

^This.

last edited at Oct 12, 2019 4:34AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

People calling them whores? (it's like people here can't stand a seemingly realistic situation just cause cheating, it sux but shit happens) I think she found she has feelings for someone else..... And shes being honest about it.... I don't think that's being a whore... it happens all the time, can't help how you feel sometimes, its a pretty fucked situation but damn, at least she was being honest... Ah life, I like the drama in this one for sure and interested to see where it goes

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Huh, this series is popular, I wonder what it's about?

sees cheating tag

Aight I'm 'bout to head out

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

People calling them whores? (it's like people here can't stand a seemingly realistic situation just cause cheating, it sux but shit happens) I think she found she has feelings for someone else..... And shes being honest about it.... I don't think that's being a whore... it happens all the time, can't help how you feel sometimes, its a pretty fucked situation but damn, at least she was being honest... Ah life, I like the drama in this one for sure and interested to see where it goes

in that case she should just divorce him, but of course nobody can go against societal expectations

Nana-anime-16
joined Jul 7, 2014

in that case she should just divorce him, but of course nobody can go against societal expectations

Or you know, people have complex feelings that take time to sort through. Being interested in someone else doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't like her husband or care for him, shit happens in life sometimes.
I kind of like the communication here, it's kinda refreshing when most stories rely heavily upon lack or miscommunication as a conflict source, here they are being a little too blunt.

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 9:33PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

Why is it that when a woman cheats she’s a whore ?... I’m not defend her dumbass and I feel bad for the husband but at least she’s being honest and forward. Like damn y’all act as if cheating don’t happen in real life. And just because a woman cheats that doesn’t make them a whore. Y’all walking around calling other men that cheat whores??? Cause I sure in hell don’t see that shit... This manga is refreshing to read. It’s pretty damn realistic in a sense. I feel bad for the other woman too not just the husband in a way I feel bad for both I hope the husband is able to find someone who will love him and he will be happy as well as I hope that that other woman finally finds happiness and female MC stays with her (since it’s showing that she really does have feelings for her).

Note: this also shows how people jump to marriage too fast. Most of the time they end up having a miserable life with someone who you don’t love or DIDNT have strong feelings for. Or even when your pushed into a relationship that you weren’t sure off. Shit happens.

last edited at Nov 6, 2019 9:28PM

joined May 1, 2013

I am really not sure if I get all the significance of what's going on with the sister-in-law. Why would them moving back help a shut-in sister?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

karp posted:

I am really not sure if I get all the significance of what's going on with the sister-in-law. Why would them moving back help a shut-in sister?

To take care of her so she can keep being shut-in and nobody learns about her to disgrace family.

last edited at Nov 6, 2019 9:40PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.