Forum › Yuki and the Authoress discussion

116453289_3649829745030561_2447255441285922596_n
joined Jun 5, 2017

Im not going to be some elitist, so yes I PREFER HAPPY ENDING, and thank God its happy ending #crying

Really this story remind me of "Carol"/"Carole" so much... Older gurl with fancy clothes and smoker, beauty and elegant

God you know how happy myself... and my heart feels so warm Aaaaaaaaaahhh

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I liked the ending. I interpret the conversation the girls in the bookstore were having about Beniko's happy endings straining suspension of disbelief as a metacommentary on the story itself. Beniko writes stories where her characters' love overcomes all obstacles and they get a happily-ever-after always. The lovers' suicide made her feel the same as the one bookstore girl feels (that romantic happy endings are unrealistic) and consequently she was unable to finish her book. But all that was just another obstacle for her and Yuki's love to overcome, and when they get back together Beniko finishes her book and returns to success. The same is true of Yuki's dad, who has an "unrealistic" change of heart and decides to let his daughter run off and be with Beniko because she is in love and that is what would make her happy. And the girls in the bookstore kind of relate all this to the reader of the manga in an indirect way with their debate about the endings (specifically the endings) of Beniko's books.

Of course we are talking about a character's take on a fictional work within their own fictional world, though, so in a way it is kind of like the story is talking directly to any readers who might identify with Yuki. They are the Yuki reading about Yuki reading about her Yuki. If the reader sees it as just an unrealistic ending, however, maybe the reader is more like the bookstore girl, and really also like the suicidal lovers whose love did not manage to overcome all obstacles.

Or maybe I'm dumb. Without the meta part, it does seem on the face of it like a bit of a rushed ending. But secretly I'd rather be a Yuki.

I think the conversation is important as a plot device to get the father thinking about his daughter's happiness. The women are discussing not only the book's endings, but they're discussing how there is no happy ending for women that fall in love with women. How the harsh reality of the era means that happy endings are just a fantasy. It basically slaps him in the face with "Your daughter is miserable and you're hurting her." That changes his perspective when he sees her again, so after she breaks down he decides to read the book and understand her feelings, rather than just push his will onto her. And once he understands how she feels, he can't bring himself to force her into the marriage. I actually think it's pretty beautiful in that respect. He takes a stand against the expectations of society to protect his daughter's happiness. And it's pretty clear from what we see of his personality that that is contrary to his personality, which makes it a real act of love.

I can see how it could be taken as meta commentary, but I really think it's mostly there to push the story in the right direction.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Also I guess him reading one of Beniko's books was the final part. I imagine that convinced him that Beniko was good enough of an author to provide for Yuki, and thus have a stable life. So when you consider it from his perspective, seeing his daughter in obvious pain, knowing that she would never be happy in a forced marriage, and that the one she loved could provide her with a comfortable life, it's not that big of a stretch to see him accept it.

I don't think it's about her talent as an author. I mean, she's already clearly well off, that's evident in her lifestyle. I think it's the perspective the book gave him. It's clear from context that Beniko's books are about gay romance. Reading the book helped him understand what his daughter is feeling.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

On a unrelated note, i giggle when i saw the credits page and read that it's the first time that the scantrad finish a serie from start to end and also that it's the longest one they finish. Given it's only 14 chapters, it's quite funny.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I like Sexy Akiba Detectives' work so I'm impressed too that this was their first completed job in 2 years :o
Also, if you want more vintage lesbians you can check Sayonara Rose Garden.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I wish the other work of the Author will get translated too, i see the first chapter on Mangadex but nothing more.It's called Snake woman and offering chan.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

The ending was absolutely lovely

joined Feb 23, 2016

This is the most satisfying ending i have read in awhile jesus.. i really needed this today. Edit: i ended up reading it all over again just to make it feel more complete~ I’m in bliss(๑╹ω╹๑ )

last edited at Aug 22, 2019 9:21AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

Lemme quote someone (I fucking forgot who said that).

This brings tears to my tears.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Somehow, this series is gayer anything else I have read in this site or stuff like Pulse or Wdtfs. It doesn't even have any explicit scenes but the essence of homosexuality of this series stronger, y'know? Please tell me someone understands what I'm trying to say.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Well, if proof we can had a yuri ending even in a difficult situation and in the last chapter

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

What a comfy ending. I really enjoyed this story, especially the environment and their clothing. In my mind it's taking place in exotic 1920s Shanghai.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

It ended on a satisfyingly high note. Bravo.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

How do I trick Seven Seas into publishing this

A85b3543-23b0-436a-a1a7-7ef9eb4e7778
joined Apr 30, 2016

this is one of those things i would hate if it was het but like... i'm a dumb-ass lesbian who likes older women and i'm feeling like a hypocrite today. Looks good so far.

You took the words right after my mouth. Anything in Yuri is okay too me

joined Jun 27, 2017

How do I trick Seven Seas into publishing this

Seven Seas, Yen Press, Viz Media, anyone.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Wow, Beniko's MEGA hands really grew on me for all the 14 chapters. It was pretty amazing seeing the character evolution of Yuki too. This was an enjoyable read.

F6027a7c125b156932db27aa264cfb2a
joined Jul 3, 2015

I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a good ending to a yuri series

last edited at Aug 22, 2019 3:11PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

What a comfy ending. I really enjoyed this story, especially the environment and their clothing. In my mind it's taking place in exotic 1920s Shanghai.

Wrong culture. This is definitely set in japan. Meiji era, late 1800s or early 1900s probably? I can't remember, did we ever get any establishing shots with possible landmarks? It feels like a major port city.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

The ending did feel a bit rushed, but seeing as the story is told in only 14 chapters, i'd say it suits the rest of the pacing, so it would probably feel more right if I read it through once again. Which I definitely will do.

last edited at Aug 22, 2019 5:30PM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

this is one of those things i would hate if it was het but like... i'm a dumb-ass lesbian who likes older women and i'm feeling like a hypocrite today. Looks good so far.

You took the words right after my mouth. Anything in Yuri is okay too me

Ew imaging sensei as a man just put a foul taste in my mouth

Quick disclaimer, I have nothing against men, it's just my yuri addicted gay ass talking

last edited at Aug 22, 2019 5:33PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The art in this was so old-school the maid was over 9 years old and was missing her cat ears!!

joined Jul 23, 2017

Its kind of amazing that I've finished this unlike other yuri manga. It was beautiful and cute!

joined Jul 23, 2017

I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a good ending to a yuri series

I agree with you

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I thought this was boring at first, but totally changed my mind. lovely series. Love that art style too. Hopefully we'll see more of that author from now on.

To reply you must either login or sign up.