Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Been a long time since I've met a character so awkward and clumsy as Adachi...

And yeah, Shimamura is slowly starting to acknowledge things, and through that is also admitting that it makes her happy, so that's nice.

last edited at Aug 18, 2019 1:34AM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

-Please, don't think too much about the line "A picture formed in my mind: Adachi, as my ****". It likely doesn't have the same implications as the Japanese line, which was incredibly difficult to decipher with a keyword blanked out.

With a line like that I can't help but think about it! What was the original line?

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

-Please, don't think too much about the line "A picture formed in my mind: Adachi, as my ****". It likely doesn't have the same implications as the Japanese line, which was incredibly difficult to decipher with a keyword blanked out.

That actually reads really weird in English, since most things that'd make sense there are completely at odds with Shima considering every possibility but the obvious one

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Poor Adachi, but exploring the depths of embarrassment with her is so fun.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Every time I read a very awkward Adachi, I felt I’m the one embarrassed for her. Lol. Man, but for some reason, her clumsiness and embarrassing moments are fun to read. Actually, their POVs are so interesting, I didn’t find it boring at all. Reading what’s running in their minds is entertaining.

last edited at Aug 18, 2019 10:40AM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Actually, I had never seen her with anyone other than me.
There was... only me...
In that case.
"...Me?" I stated questioningly, presenting the answer I'd reached through the process of elimination.

yeah this is Shima tme

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Adachi is just a big ball of adorableness... ^_^

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty clear at this point that Shimamura's not so much clueless as she is afraid of her relationship with Adachi changing into something she has to invest more of herself in, or maybe she's afraid of it hurting too much if she gets close to Adachi and then they get separated somehow, IMO.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Adachi is so awkward and cute at the same time, she's just adorkable. I feel like Shima is gonna open up a lot more this book, but I'm certain she'll still deny Adachi's obvious gayness towards her. Also since this chapter covers February I believe the LN will get a release in Feb 2020 in english (unless I'm thinking of another yuri series). Thanks again for the translated release, this was a good way to kill time on a lazy Sunday.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

i kinda find myself mentally clocking out at the extra episodes

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

vol 3, ch 1 pg 12, "pain the neck" -> "pain in the neck"

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Anyone have an idea why Shima is named after a theater guy from the Meiji era?

pure epic juice

Shimamura, Hogetsu 島村抱月 (1871 - 1918)

Maybe this was already discussed but I can't recall.

last edited at Aug 19, 2019 1:51PM

joined Aug 19, 2019

I find it funny how Adachi is so crazy about Shimamura but she still doesn't know her name.
Super excited for volume 3! This volume (and its cover) is one of my favorite.
Also yay for the first "today's Adachi" :D

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Anyone have an idea why Shima is named after a theater guy from the Meiji era?

pure epic juice

Shimamura, Hogetsu 島村抱月 (1871 - 1918)

Maybe this was already discussed but I can't recall.

It wasn't because Shimamura is also a clothes store and Shima herself said it multiples times that everybody tell her thatso we assume that her name was from the store.

Img_20190418_023052-min
joined Mar 16, 2019

Speaking of names, does anyone know what full names of the other thee are? I only know Shimamura's.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Speaking of names, does anyone know what full names of the other thee are? I only know Shimamura's.

Other three? You mean, Adachi, Hino and Nagafuji? If so, these are their names...
Adachi Sakura, Hino Akira, Nagafuji Taeko.

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 10:41PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Other three? You mean, Adachi, Hino and Nagafuji? If so, these are their names...

For all the characters:

安達 桜 - Adachi Sakura
島村 抱月 - Shimamura Hougetsu
日野 晶 - Hino Akira
永藤 妙子 - Nagafuji Taeko
知我麻 社 - Chikama Yashiro

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 4:04PM

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

love this story, such a mellow tone with just that little bit of awkwardness to make the interactions between these two antisocial kids feel real

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

For all the characters:

Does Shimamura's little sister have a name, then?

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

Does Shimamura's little sister have a name, then?

No. According to the Japanese wiki, the only named characters who've appeared so far are those ones + plus Shimamura's mom.

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 11:18PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

For all the characters:

安達 桜 - Adachi Sakura
島村 抱月 - Shimamura Hougetsu
日野 晶 - Hino Akira
永藤 妙子 - Nagafuji Taeko
知我麻 社 - Chikama Yashiro

just to claarify, Adachi and Shimamura are actually their family names no?
I seem to remember Adachi mentioning she doesn't remember Shima's actual name and that it would probably feel weird for her to call her something other than Shimamura, but maybe I have that wrong?

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 4:09PM by Nezchan

Test
joined Apr 30, 2015

^Yep, she said that at the start of Ch.03 (Adachi Question). Got midway through that chapter today, reading this at work and I'm loving it immensely so far.

Thank you for translating this, Sneikkimies. Now to buy the set :D

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeah, it's always "last name, first name" when it comes to Japanese naming convention. So Adachi, Shimamura, Hino, Nagafuji, Chikama, those are all what westerners would call "last names" or "surnames".

I still don't think "Hougetsu" fits Shimamura, as far as how it's said. The meaning fits I suppose, but it doesn't sound like it fits her, to me. lol

(Edited to correct my typo with Yashiro's last name)

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 7:20AM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

It wasn't because Shimamura is also a clothes store and Shima herself said it multiples times that everybody tell her thatso we assume that her name was from the store.

I was aware of that, but Hougetsu seems to be pretty rare as a given name, in fact, on Jisho, Meiji theater man Shimamura Hougetsu is the first result (and only full name result) when you search "Hougetsu". And with that feeling, I thought maybe the author was referencing something with the choice, though it could still be a coincidence.

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 1:35AM

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

I seem to remember Adachi mentioning she doesn't remember Shima's actual name and that it would probably feel weird for her to call her something other than Shimamura, but maybe I have that wrong?

Yes. It’s their family name or surname. It’s funny that we all used to Adachi and Shimamura other than their first name. Even when I read the later volume when they called each other’s first name, even them obviously feels awkward. Even me as a reader, couldn’t get used to Adachi as Sakura, then Shimamura as Hougetsu, or for Adachi tried to call her “Hou-chan” It’s really not suit Shimamura, the name Hougetsu lol

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 2:15AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.