Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

joined Apr 23, 2019

Motives of Izumi are not yet clear to me, but it looks like she is using her chance to act, finally.

Not clear ? Do you need glasses ? Izumi want Nanaki for her alone and can't stand Nanaki love Kanade and straight lie to her. No it's not normal for friends to act like that with each others.I think that, more than Nanaki former friends, Izumi don't want Nanaki to change or move on too much from her. Nanaki is right to be afraid, Izumi act a liite bit creepy.

Hey cutie, don't be so harsh with my "blindness" : )
I was guessing it, questioning do I see right, and now when you put it the way you did, I have no doubts anymore.
I had a reasons to question Izumi. She is somehow a "dark" character- acting always all around, but this time she was straight forward and it was a little bit confusing for me. Like, "I'm I really seeing what I see???"
Thanks anyway for confirmation.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

She is somehow a "dark" character- acting always all around, but this time she was straight forward and it was a little bit confusing for me.

Less than dark, she was more a mysterious one. Someone who intention was not really clear at first. The whole "you're feeling alone" for some chapters before was kinda right on a way but was false storywise. Now it's more clear, she was also feeling alone that Nanaki get snap from her.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Motives of Izumi are not yet clear to me, but it looks like she is using her chance to act, finally.

Not clear ? Do you need glasses ? Izumi want Nanaki for her alone and can't stand Nanaki love Kanade and straight lie to her. No it's not normal for friends to act like that with each others.I think that, more than Nanaki former friends, Izumi don't want Nanaki to change or move on too much from her. Nanaki is right to be afraid, Izumi act a liite bit creepy.

None of the things she described to Izumi are really inherently romantic like those are all sentiments that could occur in a platonic context. I'm not sure about Izumi's motives but it's possible she's just deeply closeted and in denial and is telling Nanaki the same things she tells herself about the same feelings.

joined Apr 23, 2019

None of the things she described to Izumi are really inherently romantic like those are all sentiments that could occur in a platonic context. I'm not sure about Izumi's motives but it's possible she's just deeply closeted and in denial and is telling Nanaki the same things she tells herself about the same feelings.

Well, I had same impression, they are mirroring each other, and Nanaki is actually scared now, facing herself through Izumi's actions.

Btw, in my previous comment, describing Izumi as "dark", was meant to be for someone who has hidden motives (can be mysterious, but for me she is more closeted than mysterious. She is not acting under the light, until the hug (and still she is hiding intentions speaking of friends). So I used word "dark" as my choice. Hope you understand now why.)

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

Why is she scared of Izumi? Facing her own gayness through Izumi's actions, or something else?

I could be completely off base, but what I got from it was that Fujishiro basically realized that she was in denial about her feelings for Kurokawa, so she confided in Izumi, internally hoping that Izumi would give her the reality check she needed. When Izumi did the opposite of what she was expecting and instead encouraged her denial further with such insistence, the mindset that her words and actions implies are potentially a direct opposition to the kind of person that Fujishiro needs to become.

In simpler terms, Fujishiro is realizing she's gay, and Izumi is starting to seem like she might be homophobic, or possibly super closeted to the point of denying the validity of gay relationships...? Or maybe Izumi's in even worse denial about having feelings for Fujishiro and Fujishiro can see herself in that side of Izumi, which scares her because of the implications about her own feelings. I don't know, that's my best guess at the moment.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Well it looks like Izumi is in love with Nananki and its taking advantage of her confusion to make a move.

last edited at Jul 30, 2019 12:18PM

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

i must have been rlly out from the manga life bc to me the whole WHY WOULD I WANT TO HUG MY FRIEND WITHOUT A REASON drama just made me laugh ajsjskqld

i mean sure we all know shes in love but hahahah that was such a funny reason. isnt skinship a thing in their world cmon she’s a gyaru, she probably did that a lot of times. and i know izumi’s probably creepy but what she said wasnt... wrong... at all

lol this was my reaction. Weird cognitive dissonance when the art and framing all signal something questionable is happening and the questionable thing just amounts to someone saying, “Yeah friends totally hold hands and hug and stuff nbd.”

The author’s probably trying to push the gaslighting angle but somehow the dialogue misses that for me. I think I get what they’re trying to get at tho (aka the notable thing isn’t actually hugging but the emotional weight she’s putting on hugging, which is what is being dismissed out of hand).

Yeah, the facial expressions and framing felt a little over the top, haha. I think you hit the nail on the head though. I doubt Fujishiro thinks hugs between friends are really that strange, but she realizes deep down that she wants to do more than just hug Kurokawa and is having a hard time separating the two concepts at the moment. Then the thing with Izumi becomes that Fujishiro was basically admitting to her that she had feelings that go beyond friends for Kurokawa, so Izumi's insistence in denying that was a bit strange.

last edited at Jul 30, 2019 12:23PM

18e
joined Aug 16, 2017

Well it looks like Izumi is in love with Nananki and its taking advantage of her confusion to make a move.

omg I feel the same way, ahhhh anyway if she did fall in love with nanaki, nanaki still love kurokawa more than her huhu

joined Apr 23, 2019

That's why I said:

And now situation is 4 friends, 1 love triangle, 2 "couples" based on mutual interests.
Interesting... I'm intrigued, now.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

Wow izumi try to block fujishiro from knowing that she are in love and using that shitty explains to have her way it fujishiro. Should have add nsfw and rape because of that :v

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

The stupid does it, the foolish do it
Only the unlucky of us get to do it

Despite the bad grammar, this is actually quite profound. Did you quote it from something?

It's from a mother mother song called "Let's fall in love"

The only lyrics from that song I recall are:

Birds do it, bees do it
Even monkeys in the trees do it!
Let's do it, lets fall in love.

But yeah, I guess it's from that, very appropriate!

Izumi's got quite a rack, oy! And now her secret is out, complete with Lewd public hand holding! there's no turning back now.

Except: useless lesbians who are also clueless on top of that. :/

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Wow izumi try to block fujishiro from knowing that she are in love and using that shitty explains to have her way it fujishiro. Should have add nsfw and rape because of that :v

they're holding hands, that'd deserve the nsfw tag already :I

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

The only lyrics from that song I recall are:

Birds do it, bees do it
Even monkeys in the trees do it!
Let's do it, lets fall in love.

Well.

Almost. You tried and that's the important part.

The real treasure was the friends we made along the way :')

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

She almost realized it. God damn it. Why do you have to get in the way, Izumi?

Useless Lesbians

joined Jul 26, 2016

Why do you have to get in the way, Izumi?

"Conflict of interests" strikes me as one likely possibility.

I hope that Fujishiro not feeling "otaku enough" isn't a sign of the story forgetting that she has already shown her commitment to Kurokawa by taking an interest in her hobby, like borrowing manga and DVD's...

That's still a far cry from being to able to nerd it up and talk the language like Iro does. Also inb4 Don't Become An Otaku, Fujishiro-san!

last edited at Jul 31, 2019 6:03AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I hope that Fujishiro not feeling "otaku enough" isn't a sign of the story forgetting that she has already shown her commitment to Kurokawa by taking an interest in her hobby, like borrowing manga and DVD's...

Ultimately those are very surface things though. Compared to the real Otakus that makes her still just a "normie". Unusual for a girl like her? Certainly. But not enough to truly connect to those two. That is why she is worried that she did not do enough. Kurokawa heavily leaned into Fujishiro's hobbies and likes with the entire fashion stuff, but Fujishiro might feel like that's just what she wanted and that she has not done much in return.

last edited at Jul 31, 2019 6:07AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Also inb4 Don't Become An Otaku, Fujishiro-san!

Ah, now that would be fun. :D Not going to happen, but would certainly be great to see.

20200827_004119
joined Jan 3, 2017

God damn it why do you have to cockblock Fujishiro, Izumi.

joined Jul 26, 2016

God damn it why do you have to cockblock Fujishiro, Izumi.

I believe the term is "clam jam" but one plausible scenario is she just now realised she might herself actually have a chance with her, and needs to do something about Kurokawa's considerable head start and fast if she's going to take the plunge. Izumi's to all appearances a fundamentally decent person but all's fair in love and war as it were...

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Someone should introduce Fujishiro to Maekawa from Still Sick. They could exchange pointers on how to achieve maximum uselessness.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Its love godammit

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Agh I liked Izumi as a character. Hope she doesn't take this too far and ruin their friendship. Also I think she knows she has a crush on Fujishiro. Because some chapters ago in the karaoke, she smiled in a knowing way when Fujishiro asked her if she has felt this was for a friend.

joined Apr 23, 2019

Izumi is catalyst.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

TheLostLight said:

Why is she scared of Izumi? Facing her own gayness through Izumi's actions, or something else?

I could be completely off base, but what I got from it was that Fujishiro basically realized that she was in denial about her feelings for Kurokawa, so she confided in Izumi, internally hoping that Izumi would give her the reality check she needed. When Izumi did the opposite of what she was expecting and instead encouraged her denial further with such insistence, the mindset that her words and actions implies are potentially a direct opposition to the kind of person that Fujishiro needs to become.

In simpler terms, Fujishiro is realizing she's gay, and Izumi is starting to seem like she might be homophobic, or possibly super closeted to the point of denying the validity of gay relationships...? Or maybe Izumi's in even worse denial about having feelings for Fujishiro and Fujishiro can see herself in that side of Izumi, which scares her because of the implications about her own feelings. I don't know, that's my best guess at the moment.

This is closest to my reaction.

Also, I think people are being harsh on a teen, Fujishiro, sorting out her feelings.

One of the things I appreciate in this manga is that the characters aren't completely blind. And they are also complex.

Sure, I'd say she's being dramatic about the "compatibility issue", but that's not at all atypical for girls at her stage of life.

My main grievance in this chapter was the inconsistent style. The early pages had all the hair detail I love, but in the middle-end the drawing was... clunkier? blockier? plainer?? Not sure what adjectives, but that jarred me a bit.

On the other hand, Fujishiro's introspection boosted my optimismthat we are going to have explicit gayness is coming sooner rather than later (but it still feels so far).

Still really enjoying this. (◕‿◕✿)

Also hoping we avoid the love-triangle x(._.)x_

last edited at Aug 2, 2019 12:14AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.