Forum › Yuki and the Authoress discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

At least it was never outright illegal, unlike many Western countries at the same period, where they'd have to fear all sorts of repercussions (depends on the exact date and country and frankly some randomness of course). Not that I imagine it'd be easy in Japan during that period either ^^

Sodomy was illegal during the Meiji restoration for few years

Must have been the Westernization. They tried really hard to please the British and Americans, at the time, by making the country more like theirs; and a lot of really stupid laws were the result.

"Please", Hell. They pretty much wanted to become them (and the Germans while they were at it).

joined Apr 6, 2019

At least it was never outright illegal, unlike many Western countries at the same period, where they'd have to fear all sorts of repercussions (depends on the exact date and country and frankly some randomness of course). Not that I imagine it'd be easy in Japan during that period either ^^

Sodomy was illegal during the Meiji restoration for few years

Must have been the Westernization. They tried really hard to please the British and Americans, at the time, by making the country more like theirs; and a lot of really stupid laws were the result.

"Please", Hell. They pretty much wanted to become them (and the Germans while they were at it).

You're absolutely right. I understated the extent of the problem.

Heck, just as an example: the gakuran and the sailor-style dress worn by school students have become by now an inseparable part and even a symbol of Japan's culture, and a big sexy fetish to boot. People have pretty much forgotten where the idea originally came from, haven't they?

joined Jul 26, 2016

People have pretty much forgotten where the idea originally came from, haven't they?

More like most never knew to begin with. How little people know of the world a mere hundred years ago despite having ready access to a wealth of information about it if they only looked for it is amazing sometimes.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

Ohoho, the plot thickens. I'm glad the secret turned out to be internal angst and not something like, a murder or whatever.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Am I the only one that read "Much obliged!" in Reinhardt's voice?

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Change of style? Hummm.... I think the style is one of the strong points of this, so I'm concerned...

Eetw4a5ueaiu2_t
joined Jun 1, 2017

Don't worry about the guy, he will not show up again

As he should

Anyways it's kinda sad that I don't have my very own tall gf who swoops in and rescues me out of awkward overly friendly hetero mens :c

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

... You know, it just hit me that Sexy Akiba Detectives, the group scanlating this comic, is the same one that is scanlating So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or?. I mention this because I also realized that Japanese suffixes and words (e.g. "Yuki-chan" and "Sensei") are maintained here, whereas I don't recall ever seeing such suffixes and words in the other comic; if anyone from SAD is reading this, is this a deliberate choice, or does the dialogue in the source simply lack much in the way of suffixed names and the like?

last edited at Jul 22, 2019 9:48PM

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I choose to mix up the localisation style based on the series and also the audience who might be reading it! Yuki is a historical manga with a heavy emphasis on place and time, and Still Sick, for another example, is heavily rooted in its analysis of yuri manga and Maekawa's formality, so it feels right yo utilise that. Conversely, Go Out has more of a mass-audience current-day feel, and will reach an audience outside of people who traditionally read yuri manga, so I wanted to make it more accessible.

(That being said, Go Out DOES use them less and in a less meaningful way, due to the setting and ages of characters.)

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I choose to mix up the localisation style based on the series and also the audience who might be reading it!

I appreciate the thought and effort that go into these translations. I'm reminded of what a professional translator said: "You translate ideas, not words." The writing for Rika in Go Out was especially great in the last few chapters.

brimstone_cat
joined Jul 1, 2019

such a gentlewoman..she let her walk away without trying to chase her

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

I choose to mix up the localisation style based on the series and also the audience who might be reading it!

Well, that's certainly far better than the kind of translators who honestly believe that it's not only their prerogative but obligation to strip everything remotely "foreign" from the material to be translated. My sole major reservation, however, is that this approach is quite vulnerable to the scanlator's subjective intrepretations of both the series and the audience.

A more minor reservation is how jarring it can be to read two translated works by the same group whose translation styles look different enough that it's reasonable to assume they're done by entirely different translators.

I'm reminded of what a professional translator said: "You translate ideas, not words."

That of course, assumes that people are capable of not only attaining perfectly objective understanding of the ideas, but perfectly expressing them in the translation. Unfortunately, that's an unreachable ideal.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm reminded of what a professional translator said: "You translate ideas, not words."

That of course, assumes that people are capable of not only attaining perfectly objective understanding of the ideas, but perfectly expressing them in the translation. Unfortunately, that's an unreachable ideal.

That’s the opposite of what that means. Legitimate translators are the last people in the world who would pretend that they could achieve a “perfectly objective” understanding of ideas or create a “perfect expression” of them.

Every translator I’ve ever known (and I’ve known more than a few, in different literary contexts), is extremely humble about what’s possible to communicate in a translation, and is more aware than anyone else what’s being lost or left out in a translation.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Ahhh!! Finally sensei isn´t making a devious expression XD, gosh. I want them to get closer already and not have this weird power gap. They can´t get closer if Yuki doesn´t loosen up ><

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Ah fek it, I'm hooked.
I'm taking my time reading this stuff (currently, I'm now in ch. 3). This is so good.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

such a gentlewoman..she let her walk away without trying to chase her

LOL

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Surprised she's got more than one expression hahaha.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Maybe Sensei doesn't want to 'sully' her. Which would be such a shame and tried and overused trope. Sully away sensei!

joined Mar 29, 2019

Oh man i was looking forward to her to confess but nah

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Well, that's certainly far better than the kind of translators who honestly believe that it's not only their prerogative but obligation to strip everything remotely "foreign" from the material to be translated. My sole major reservation, however, is that this approach is quite vulnerable to the scanlator's subjective intrepretations of both the series and the audience.

I'd argue that any translated work is vulnerable to the former! As for the latter... this is pretty true. I normally use the Japanese audience as a baseline, though.

(Another important thing to bear in mind is that unofficial translations are ultimately that - unofficial. Claiming a fan translation to be the canonical expression of the authorial intent will almost never work out, because due to the grey market way in which a lot of these groups operate, they don't talk to the writers directly, and just have to intuit stuff off their interviews, twitter, comments, etc - if those even exist! As such, arguments about the quality of official translations aside, those have a higher chance of actually repping what the author means - and while it's good for unofficial TLs to strive to achieve that, they can ultimately only stab in the dark)

A more minor reservation is how jarring it can be to read two translated works by the same group whose translation styles look different enough that it's reasonable to assume they're done by entirely different translators.

to be fair, the source work is written by different people. if it feels like it's different rather than feeling like the same person wrote the dialogue, that's probably true to the text.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m working on a time machine to go back and kill Yuki’s father for abusing our adorable little literature lover.

I could use someone who can at least read Japanese, and . . . some maps, maybe? Can anybody give me a hand?

(No real rush, I guess . . .)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Might as well prep for genocide then - this is roughly the period when spare the rod, spoil the child was widely taken as gospel parenting guideline.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Biological weapons might be the most practical approach...?

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 9:54PM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I’m working on a time machine to go back and kill Yuki’s father for abusing our adorable little literature lover.

I could use someone who can at least read Japanese, and . . . some maps, maybe? Can anybody give me a hand?

Can we stop off and kill Hitler afterword while we're at it? You know, for funsies.

X5aa
joined Jul 29, 2019

Can we stop off and kill Hitler afterword while we're at it? You know, for funsies.

Sorry for butting in with something entirely unrelated, but Ranzo's avatar pic is absolutely amazing and neither reverse image search or sauceNAO brings any answers, so can I ask where the pic comes from?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Sorry for butting in with something entirely unrelated, but Ranzo's avatar pic is absolutely amazing and neither reverse image search or sauceNAO brings any answers, so can I ask where the pic comes from?

Well, you asked for it
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cat_piercing

To reply you must either login or sign up.