Forum › Poker Face Cross-dresser discussion

Amazing Despair
12a1
joined May 12, 2019

That was surprisingly cute . I want to read more of this and see how far it goes

joined Jan 6, 2017

I wish that this will turn out to be het, but I doubt it'll happen.

last edited at May 12, 2019 9:42AM

Images
joined Aug 14, 2016

damn... give me the next chapter.

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

I haven't actually researched this, but is "cross-dressing" in Japan another word for being trans, or is it really just a fascination with dressing as the opposite gender?

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Little bro is going to kill him...

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I haven't actually researched this, but is "cross-dressing" in Japan another word for being trans, or is it really just a fascination with dressing as the opposite gender?

They're not really related elsewhere either. Cisgender homosexual or heterosexual crossdressing is not really related to gender dysphoria as much as wanting to look cute. That and not confirming to gender norm dress codes is unrelated to gender, there is nothing less legitimate about a trans female dressing as a male either.

joined Jan 11, 2015

They're not really related elsewhere either. Cisgender homosexual or heterosexual crossdressing is not really related to gender dysphoria as much as wanting to look cute. That and not confirming to gender norm dress codes is unrelated to gender, there is nothing less legitimate about a trans female dressing as a male either.

I think something important to consider is cultural differences. I don't think transgender is really taken as seriously in Japan. Often times characters presented as transgender are described as crossdressing.

Like whatever uncomfortable miasma of gender identity "My Wife is a Man" lies in.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

I've never read a Yaoi before (if this even counts as one) but so far it looks very cute

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

I think something important to consider is cultural differences. I don't think transgender is really taken as seriously in Japan. Often times characters presented as transgender are described as crossdressing.

Like whatever uncomfortable miasma of gender identity "My Wife is a Man" lies in.

Maybe there is a cultural component to that but it's not like western cultures aren't guilty of conflating cisgender crossdressing with transness either. For a long time before research and awareness become more common it was all pretty much put under the same umbrella of "Homosexuality" (read: Deviance). Regardless it's pretty clear from the text here that the main character isn't trans.

joined Jan 26, 2019

At least the guy does not look like he will spend way too many chapters agonizing over thinking a guy is cutw

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

There is literally nothing wrong with My Wife is a Man.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

HellAQA posted:

I've seen it a lot, some people just want to look cute and enjoy cute things, doesn't mean anything sexually and that's fine, I'm on the side of "Be free" and "not everyone or everything needs a label" after all, everyone is different.

But I know is not a good idea to discuss such a broad topic here XP

LuminaMystere
joined May 12, 2019

Yeah, Japan isn't really that good with that sort of thing. Case in point, Itsuki's older sibling in Ookami Shounen wa kyou. They're characterised as basically trans (even with a joke about bottom surgery) but still gets called a boy by everyone.
As an aside note, why are there like, no light hearted trans manga? They're all dramas, or even super angsty. There aren't really any about someone discovering their identity from scratch, either.

last edited at May 12, 2019 7:55PM

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

There really shouldn't be anything surprising about a culture that highly values cuteness to cause men to want to be cute as well.

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

I've never read a Yaoi before (if this even counts as one) but so far it looks very cute

It doesn't count as Yaoi if one (or more) participants is dressed like a girl! Lolz!

No not really, but cross-dressing 'yaoi' is really a separate category, often doesn't even involve sex or sexual feelings.

It's 'trans' if the boy believes she's a girl, but 'cross-dressing' if he knows he's a boy but dresses like a girl for... reasons! Other reasons like cuteness or homosexual attraction or hiding from gangsters & etc.

A very cute doujinshi is about a boy who grows his hair long & cross dresses because his best friend/crush has a severe pony-tail fetish. They get together, but in a sequel the boyfriend wants to know if he really loves his friend or just the ponytail. (Spoiler: he loves his friend! And the ponytail is just a bonus, lolz) So in a way it goes from cross-dressing (with sex) to yaoi (with sex) in just 2 chapters, but cutely!

Oh look, it's here! And there's 3 chapters? Must read now: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_dake_no_ponytail

last edited at May 13, 2019 4:26PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

It's 'trans' if the boy believes she's a girl

What. That's some unfortunate wording you used there, darling.

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Moar plz

joined Aug 15, 2015

Crossdressing does not actually link to sexual orientation nor necessarily sex related. Somebody may cross dress simply because they like it or as a hobby. It does not mean they see themselves aligned to a sex they weren't born with.

But in the mainstream culture, cross dressing can be considered a queer behavior and very often oversimplified as gender dysphoria, especially in men.

last edited at May 23, 2019 6:30PM

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Welp, this is cute as hell. I want more.

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I love this so much!

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

The trap boy is cute, but I still can't figure what's his love preference
Won't be surprised if he falls for Tanimoto in the end

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I can't decide if I want the brother to be clingy and jealous or if I want him to be a wingbro. Maybe a bit of both?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jeanne Mathison posted:

His love preference is cute clothes :))))

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Jeanne Mathison posted:

His love preference is cute clothes :))))

lol so he's a trap-metrosexual? :)

Screenshot_2020-06-05%20dorian%20electra%20has%20a%20full%20on%20broment
joined Jun 20, 2017

As an aside note, why are there like, no light hearted trans manga? They're all dramas, or even super angsty. There aren't really any about someone discovering their identity from scratch, either.

I'd love to see that.
Maybe it has to do with how our current society's treatment of trans people and questions regarding gender creates this climate where a lot of trans people find themselves only able to feel validated through their pain (see transmedicalism).

I've worked recently with an amazing artist who's a trans man, and he said that, being a trans person, it's like society doesn't allow him to talk, as an artist and as a thinker, about anything other than his pain of being trans. He sometimes wishes he could just talk about mathematics and outer space, but everytime he tries, things just get worse.

To reply you must either login or sign up.