Forum › Posts by aelfgahr

joined Aug 15, 2015

It brought flashbacks of Club Amour, a yuri series I read online a while ago... He goes apeshit. "What's your problem, didn't I spend enough today or what? You're just a cum dump, I wanna FUCK!"

A few details aside, it's the same pattern of what Makino has just done.

The level of treatment varies greatly
In your example, "I pay and you slave, regardless of what you feel"
In Makino's case, it's "I offer, you take time to make the decision to provide service or not (and write a receipt later)."

Sure they both use money to create and maintain relationships but one is exploitative and the other is contractual. Of course, this is not a defense for the MC, and we can argue there is some exploitative nature behind their relationship. However, let's not forget the MC also respects and genuinely appreciates the service, as well as growing to become more aware of her own scumminess.

last edited at Feb 8, 2023 9:56PM

joined Aug 15, 2015

"Alright, here are real weapons, now do REAL combat training!"
Students: do real combat training and hurt each other
"No, not like that!"

Kids play rough and violent too. It's part of learning about their own strength and body, to explore the range when it's hurtful and when it is playful.
Sure, there are plenty of those "No, not like that" moment but that is part of the learning, also why adults should be around just in case they learn the wrong lesson.

With that said, I do agree lethal weapons aren't the right learning tools for them to swing at each other for learning purposes, at least when they're newbie. But that's just me being a human being biased against those hard-to-die vampire's education.

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

This series really does too much “slapstick partner on partner violence”, which clashes particularly with its actual plot. It’s a shame.

The slapstick only works for the "innocent" ones. If the two gangsters decide to join, the story stops considering it a joke.

aelfgahr
Yuru Yuri discussion 17 Feb 04:14
joined Aug 15, 2015

Amazing how she's allowed to hit students

It is a comedy.

But in most Asia culture, kids getting hit by adults and teachers as punishments are very common and culturally acceptable. As long as the adults do not permanently injure or scar the kids, they can be as violent as necessary to make sure the kids remember the lesson (speaking from experience).

joined Aug 15, 2015

I liked this first chapter, but i can't believe one day i would read a manga that mentions Butter Dog, is absolutely disgusting.

I'm more concerned why such practice has a name... Is it that common and casually discussed that there is a name for it...?

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

True fact: Human meat is awful.
Sharks just attack and bite, it is very rare one shark to eat a human because the taste is terrible.

Last time I checked sharks didn't invent BBQ grills and seasoning.

It's hard to grill underwater unless you're SpongeBob.

I'm sure they just forgot to season their food with salt.

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

People still can maintain a close friendship even after they decide to break up their romantic relationship.

It's not exactly about respect for one self or the other party, but more like emotion maturity. They understand certain type of relationship cannot work out but they are still willing to support each other in other means.

I know a gay man who broke of with his wife to pursuit his "true feeling" and marrying a another man. He and his ex-wife as well as their three daughters still hang around like good friends. His wife also marry another man and two sides maintain a friendly relationship with little trouble.

I even saw a high school couple constantly making out during their fresh man year. They went through some nasty break up during sophomore year. By their senior year, the dude had a new girl, and the girl surprisingly got a girlfriend as well. But those two began to talk to each other again, they weren't acting as besties but they crack jokes now and then like old acquaintances.

In drama, jealousy and betrayal in romantic relationship are good contents to hook their audiences but that does not reflect reality. It is quite overused to a point that those two feelings are the only and ultimate result of a relationship gone one sided. In reality, we don't have the luxury for those emotions. Of course the feeling betrayal and jealousy are real and there are definitely many who have to suffer through that, but that is not the only outcome we have to accept.

I think I appreciate this series for not using the jealousy card like so many other romance. It is short of fresh and show the emotion maturity of all side: Yuu slowly understand the reality of love, Nanami's own personal growth thanks to her romantic feeling, and Sayaka despite nothing went the way she wanted, she acquire certain fortitude to stand against and accept the bitterness of love.

last edited at Jun 7, 2019 9:50AM

joined Aug 15, 2015

I haven't actually researched this, but is "cross-dressing" in Japan another word for being trans, or is it really just a fascination with dressing as the opposite gender?

Crossdressing does not actually link to sexual orientation nor necessarily sex related. Somebody may cross dress simply because they like it or as a hobby. It does not mean they see themselves aligned to a sex they weren't born with.

But in the mainstream culture, cross dressing can be considered a queer behavior and very often oversimplified as gender dysphoria, especially in men.

last edited at May 23, 2019 6:30PM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

Wait.. this isn't the story..

You Can't Do This to My Heart!! Dammit.

joined Aug 15, 2015

I was expected something funny or light hearted too until I saw the characters and figured who could've been the artist.

This kinda hits a bit close to home.
And even when you're the best in your class, they'll find someone to compare you. That line about not getting the 10 points so you'd have a perfect score? Heard it a million times. It's exhausting and it builds up within you because they're your parents and you can't lash out.

That is the only Asian family I know and grew up in. Parents expect kid to be the best of everything, worked hard, forbid relationship, then instantly expect to be a grandparent right after kid graduated.

last edited at Apr 27, 2018 10:47PM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

I guess the moral of the story is Drink your milk. Good things happen to children who drink milk.

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

It was funny and cute, then it becomes weird. Now it's just scary.

joined Aug 15, 2015

I can wholeheartedly relate to this manga

Kissing your roommate's tummy while they're asleep?

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

Was she lying about not remembering the incident? Or did she remember everything when Uta handed the phone to her... Everything seems so random right now but i'm still hooked, i need more!!! ;;

She probably doesn't remember the detail about the incident. The emotion which caused her the shock, however, still linger so it just haunts her whenever something relates to the incident appears.

There's a story I've been hearing repeatedly in psych classes about a patient who can't make new memory and a doctor who kept doing unpleasant things to the patient. The patient could never remember the doctor nor recall the unpleasant events occur with the doctor. However, he kept feeling uncomfortable when that doctor is around.

aelfgahr
Their Story discussion 11 Dec 03:21
joined Aug 15, 2015

After all that light hearted scenarios, this is quite unexpected...

last edited at Dec 11, 2017 3:22AM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

It is definitely not restricted to Asian culture.

I live in CA and the first person who ever told me a similar story is my English professor. He had a wife and 3 daughters until he found someone who was happy with him. His wife and daughters knew and also were also supportive. His wife divorced and allowed him to marry the man he loves. He said his biggest achievement was proof reading his eldest daughter college admission essay about growing up with a gay father.

It is understandable for stories like these to trigger range of conflicting emotion. For me personally, it makes me question whether a relationship like that is twisted or that my understanding of love and marriage, which normal culture and media have taught me, itself is twisted.

As for Mental illness just in case anyone take it literally:
None of the character in this one shot nor the author is in such state.

last edited at Nov 14, 2017 5:38AM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

I don't know what SHAFT-style is but the pacing for the first chapter gave me an impression that I'm looking at a flash back as if someone is questioning their life style, probably when they currently are in life crisis situation, just recollecting all important moment that had biggest impact to their life which leading to their current tragic reality.

last edited at Nov 7, 2017 5:02AM

aelfgahr
Age 15 discussion 23 Mar 19:14
joined Aug 15, 2015

Here I was all like: "Slab the bitch! Slab the bitch! 2 of you love that girl so slab the bitch! She deserve it!"

Then it's just "why you gotta make thing more complicated giving that girl a spark of enlightenment at the wrong time"

Honestly... I just want to see her being slabbed...

last edited at Mar 23, 2017 7:17PM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

^ minor mistake :P

I still don't know if there's a connection between her reaction and the date invitation.

last edited at Feb 2, 2017 5:08AM

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

So did she suspect something is wrong and have the movie date as a trap?

last edited at Jan 31, 2017 9:38PM

aelfgahr
Heart Gifts discussion 01 Jan 03:03
joined Aug 15, 2015

Chantelune posted:

Not too fond of the explanation of "we let her die because of her father's religion", but the story was nice. And yeah, totally look forward to the father flipping out even more when he learn his daughter is lesbian. Would make for a fun extra chapter. XD

Or not.

If you're ready to let your kid die because of your religion, then locking her up is nothing.
He would probably turn into P'Mew's father and disown her. Or worse, send her in some religious retreat or in conversion therapy to get the gay out of her.
Because God Hates Fags.

There's religious story about The Sacrifice of Isaac where God commands the father to kill his son to prove his love for God. Daddy was willing to kill the son until some weird angel appear and goes "Dude, it's just a prank, no need to kill that kid."

Anyway, there's plenty of story about how far parents willing to go for their beliefs, even if it means drowning 6 of your own children in one bath tub (real story).

aelfgahr
Heart Gifts discussion 30 Dec 22:23
joined Aug 15, 2015

Since Daddy is so zealous in purity and not allow anything mechanical in his daughter body even if it kills his daughter, I wonder how would a guy like that would even let his daughter being a lesbian.

aelfgahr
Image Comments 28 Dec 05:16
joined Aug 15, 2015

Gag + BDSM + Age Gap
I need 30 pages long chapter for this q.q

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

I have to disagree on Yuu not have any romantic feelings for Touko at this point. Maki points out that Yuu immediately thought about Touko being hurt from the truth of their relationship coming out instead of her. Also, when both Yuu and Touko are studying Yuu says she is hyper aware of her sitting opposite her. If you don't have any romantic feelings for a person you won't care that person is sitting next to you. Plus, she waits anxiously for Touko to join her in the libarary. Yuu also is in tune with Touka feelings when Touka was nervous she saw past her mask of confidence.

Everybody love's differently, that is what Yuu has to understand, she's trying to use other people's personal experince of love for her own feelings of love. This can be seen in chapter 1 where she says, "the words of shoujo manga is dazzling and shiny, I just want to feel them." That is her major problem, manga and novels paint love with pretty words but the emotion of love can be different when you are feeling that emotion. Fiction is different from reality.

I disagree on a few points. Yuu thinking of Touko first is not romantic in anyway. She cares for Touko true but she doesnt want Touko hurt from rumors because she cares for Touko in a friendship sense. That is why she is surprised by Maki's conclusion (my thoughts). When you know someone has romantic or strong feelings for you it has a effect right? You notice them even if you are in love or not. I agree everyone love is different but Yuu does not seem IN LOVE. Until this story goes deeper in the psyche of the main characters more it lacks any weight. still a good read either way

It is true a person may protect someone else out of friendship and not just because of romantic feelings. However, given the short time they've known each other, such idealistic selflessness is difficult to judge that is friendship.

I will also argue that Yuu is basing off her emotion and judgement to her stereotype of what everyone else would have done or feel. Note that she judge her protectiveness because for her, "It is what everyone have done." She is also trying too look for love based on the stereotypical description that society gives. So in a sense, Yuu may be denying her actual feeling because she does not feel what the world feels.

aelfgahr
joined Aug 15, 2015

I think I got way too excited seeing a new chapter of this more than I normally would. Hopefully this series will able to cure my thirst for romantic yuri which seems to be quite rare based on how original this series have been.