Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

makes me wonder wtf i shoudl do if i ever met a crazy bitch like that

even jesus wont be able to help

I think the problem is that you don't realize it until it's too late.

"Oh, she would never . . . URK!"

last edited at Dec 28, 2018 3:27PM

joined Feb 15, 2013

I dunno, on reflection, the idea of a sibling being prosecuted for "child abduction" by recovering a lost sibling from a homicidal kidnapper is very imaginative, and just the sort of thing that would happen in the bizarre storyworld of this series.

It's a totally demented imaginative idea when applied to the real world, to be sure, but its loopy parody of logic fits the story very well.

Oh...words

The innocent sibling who tried to recover his lost sibling that you mentioned, participated in assault with a deadly weapon, forceful abduction, blackmail and torture of another minor. The last kid who did this got 13 years behind bar. In rEAl wOrlD

Child abduction is the weakest charge that he will have to face. Legally. He should thank God that Japanese juvenile law gonna protect both him (and Satou) in this situation

last edited at Jan 27, 2019 12:41PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Look, any thought experiment that begins "If Happy Sugar Life happened in real life . . ." needs to stop right there. Individual events like many of the ones in the story do happen in real life, but any attempt to spin out the real-world implications of the story as a whole will end up in cloud-cuckoo-land sooner rather than later.

So knock yourself out.

Derp%20gal
joined Jan 19, 2019

Must protect my loli.

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

If this ends exactly the same way as the anime im going to be really disappointed.
even though in real life sato is obviously a bad guy, this is a story so please give satou a good end~ the author already went out of the box with this story, with sato being like a super yandere, killing people and kidnapping a loli, then suddenly the ending becomes a run of the mill bad guy dies, it's like how shouko tried to hear out sato but didn't have to guts to accept her. please author-sensei, i know it's gonna be controversial, but i hope you'll find the guts to give a bad guy a good ending to truly make this story unique and different! :3

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

If this ends exactly the same way as the anime im going to be really disappointed.
even though in real life sato is obviously a bad guy, this is a story so please give satou a good end~ the author already went out of the box with this story, with sato being like a super yandere, killing people and kidnapping a loli, then suddenly the ending becomes a run of the mill bad guy dies, it's like how shouko tried to hear out sato but didn't have to guts to accept her. please author-sensei, i know it's gonna be controversial, but i hope you'll find the guts to give a bad guy a good ending to truly make this story unique and different! :3

I think the point of this story is that Sato is so damaged, and has done so much damage to others as a result, that it's just not sustainable. There can't really be a happy ending here. She's murdered, she's kidnapped. We the readers, as a witness from the outside looking in, have to accept the flicker of what could have been but never will be that we can see, and the melancholy "happiness" that as twisted as she is, Sato did find some mote of happiness and peace before her inevitable sad end.

Sato is a horrible person.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sato is a horrible person.

This is an interesting series for the position it puts the reader in. It’s not quite like those stories where the protagonist does some terrible things but we see them positively enough to basically be on their side, but it’s also not like the ones where everyone is so horrible across the board that you don’t ever care what happens to anyone.

In this one I begin to feel sympathy in several different directions, then each time the reality Shawn articulates kicks in: “Nope—horrible.”

Except for Shio, of course. Shio isn’t horrible, just the (mostly) innocent catalyst for horror heaped upon horror.

joined Jan 6, 2017

The great thing about how long it's been since the last update, is that I don't really remember what happened in the anime.

joined May 24, 2014

I really hope that they haven't forgotten anything

I really hope they didn't

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I think the point of this story is that Sato is so damaged, and has done so much damage to others as a result, that it's just not sustainable. There can't really be a happy ending here. She's murdered, she's kidnapped. We the readers, as a witness from the outside looking in, have to accept the flicker of what could have been but never will be that we can see, and the melancholy "happiness" that as twisted as she is, Sato did find some mote of happiness and peace before her inevitable sad end.

You can argue that the anime ending is actually morally worse than a typical ‘happy ending’ though.

For a happy ending that Satou and Shio successfully escape, there is that black spot of Satou escaping her crimes uncharged. The anime ending however, have Shio being implied to be haunted and possessed by Satou’s ideal. She is no longer only physically imprisoned by Satou, her entire mind and soul now is trapped by Satou, forever. And considering we never know why Satou’s aunt that fked up, it’s possible that Shio could end up a twisted version like the aunt is

Still best aunt though

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Is the "aunt" her real mother?

joined May 24, 2014

Is the "aunt" her real mother?

at this point, she might as well be!

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

ok great im gonna go ahead and pretend this entire clusterfuck of a story ended on page 120 and live my own happy sugar life by imagining my girls chilling on a malibu beach with that bag of gold that auntie gave her

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

You can argue that the anime ending is actually morally worse than a typical ‘happy ending’ though.

For a happy ending that Satou and Shio successfully escape, there is that black spot of Satou escaping her crimes uncharged. The anime ending however, have Shio being implied to be haunted and possessed by Satou’s ideal. She is no longer only physically imprisoned by Satou, her entire mind and soul now is trapped by Satou, forever. And considering we never know why Satou’s aunt that fked up, it’s possible that Shio could end up a twisted version like the aunt is

Still best aunt though

I actually haven't watched the anime, I just know what happened in it from people here discussing it.

I mean, yes, I agree. The story is "Happy Sugar Life". "Satou" means "sugar". It's definitely not an overreach that Sato's influence on Shio ("salt") is just like how it works in the real world--adding sugar to something that is too salty will negate the saltiness... but too much will ruin the dish. Sato has "overriden" Shio, who was already coping poorly with some pretty heavy psychological issues. And in the end, like I said, Sato can't escape from her reality. She was finally able to enjoy a happy, syrupy sweet life for a while, but it has to end and can't end well. The title is quite clever.

last edited at Apr 4, 2019 4:59AM

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

Yea but i feel like she's just trying to make do with the cards she was dealt. and also it's funny that after all her crimes, i feel like the only one that was uncalled for was when she did in shouko. the person she murdered was as seen in the anime going to kill shio, and i wouldn't call it kidnapping if she took a girl left there to fend for herself. i could think of like a dozen much more horrible scenarios that could've happened to shio if sato wasn't there. and yes you could argue that she should've returned shio to her family, what would she be returning to? shio's mother already accepted the fact that her daughter can't live in that situation anymore so she let her go (which could've been handled a bit more properly than just leaving her there) and watching the anime, i feel like the brother is actually a bad guy since yea, he was just trying to get back his family, but what will they return to? they barely had enough to eat and he prolly drained their resources even further from printing and posting all those posters (here in where i live, photocopying is crazy expensive you could eat a full meal with the cost). all in all, i guess i just wanna see sato have a happy ending. because of the idea of someone in a situation where their only choice is a bad ending is just so sad. i feel like the author giving the story a good ending would be like saying "it's never too late for anyone, no matter what they went through". just gives hope i feel. but with the anime ending, it felt so sad, like after going through all that shit her reward is dying. geez. anyway, before someone responds with "reality is like that, it's cruel" and all that, i know it full well and is the very reason i'd like to see a good end for a person who went through a lot, it just sends a message i guess of there's light at the end of the tunnel. and i think it wouldn't be condoning doing crimes since as i stated only shouko's was uncalled for, but that's just me, guess i really fell for the author selling sato as like the tragic heroine >w<

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

lel just finished reading the latest chapter after my previous post. this will 99% end the same as the anime. shame. >w<

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

lel just finished reading the latest chapter after my previous post. this will 99% end the same as the anime. shame. >w<

Be optimistic.

I feel like the manga did everything much better. The subtle guilt of Shouko’s death killing Satou from inside. The revealing of Satou past somehow redeemed and rationalise Satou’s thinking, not to mention the anime rushed like hell toward the end.

Hopefully we will have a happier ending for everyone

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

Oh god things are going to be so intense these final chapters.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

If this ends exactly the same way as the anime I'm going to be really disappointed.

You and me both.
Any ending except a Satou/Shio lovey-dovey happy ending (preferably in some foreign country where nobody will bother them) is going to make me very disappointed.

last edited at Apr 4, 2019 3:33PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I think Satou needs to die for the story to make sense. It's just the natural course of events for a tale like this. Maybe she'll get caught and go to prison, maybe she'll end up on the run and unable to ever see Shio again, hell maybe Shio will die (I think that'd be the cruelest ending for Satou), but however it happens, this is just the kind of narrative that almost always ends badly. All the signs of the last few chapters point towards death.

While Satou has been preparing, subplots set in motion by her earlier actions were building up in the background. It looks like she might get away with it, but the framing makes clear that she has less and less control over the situation. Meanwhile, Satou herself has been changing. Nothing else caused her the slightest bit of regret, but her murder of Shouko has been weighing on her. Her crimes are catching up with her. The stage is set, the players have arrived, things are coming to a head. That apartment has been her sanctuary, but its protections are fading, her pursuers are almost there. There's going to be a showdown in her castle, and it won't end well for her.

I don't want this to end exactly like the anime, but my problems with that ending were mostly the details and execution. I think the general concept is simply the natural result of this kind of story, and of the details of this particular example.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'm weirdly torn between them having a happy ending and not. Huh.

I guess you can call that good writing, really.

SuffererFangirl
joined Sep 18, 2016

I don't understand what exactly the aunt did to traumatize Sato so much, making Sato hating her. At the beggining of the manga, my theory was that the aunt sexually abused her, and despite turning into a pedophile as consequence, Sato didn't want to do the same with Shio, because this isn't love. But now that my theory isn't true, I don't get it. Did the aunt taught Sato that hurtful things are love? That's the problem between them?

joined Mar 28, 2019

The Yuki chan of Yuri

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I don't understand what exactly the aunt did to traumatize Sato so much, making Sato hating her. At the beggining of the manga, my theory was that the aunt sexually abused her, and despite turning into a pedophile as consequence, Sato didn't want to do the same with Shio, because this isn't love. But now that my theory isn't true, I don't get it. Did the aunt taught Sato that hurtful things are love? That's the problem between them?

This is my wild guess too. But there was a Satou flashback panel of Satou’s aunt in suggestive clothes on the floor with Satou’s favourite teddy bear been torn apart next to her.

Knowing Satou aunt and her masochism, plus her talent in triggering people up to use violence to sexually abuse her. It’s very possible that she was triggering up the young Satou’s violent tendency (like breaking her favourite toy) to provoke Satou into sexually abusing her and satisfying her masochism. Meanswhile convincing Satou that, such twisted actions are actually love

Which will fk up any child’s sense to differentiate between love and abuse , right and wrong, exactly how current Satou is

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 9:55AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.