Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

This hunt me again

joined May 24, 2014

Yup they forgot IT

What tension! Could this be the end of ...

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY?!

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

She gave her candy calling it love, but some were poisoned, that would have traumatised a kid and also the living environment of her house is horrible

I'm sorry to say this... but that's 100%, completely wrong. The aunt's lines about poisoned candy was a metaphor for her view on love. To her, love is something you experience over and over again with many different kinds of people—like a candy jar with lots of different flavors. You quickly "eat" them and they're gone, but there's always more out there. She invites lots of people into her home to "love". But some of them are "poison" people who proceed to beat her or violently abuse her. The aunt sees even these "poison" people as valuable and worth loving.

As to the original question, I don't know if the aunt "did" anything in particular to Satou. But obviously that apartment would be a miserable place to grow up. The aunt had a parade of random strangers constantly coming through to fuck her, and some of them were extremely violent. She left used condoms, bloody bandages, and other garbage lying all over the place. Did she ever act like a parent to Satou at all? Did she feed her? Cloth her? Help her get to school? No clue, but judging by what we know of her, the aunt was clearly a very negligent guardian, at the very best.

At the worst, well... with all these violent, depraved people coming by this apartment looking for sex, it's not hard to imagine that much worse than negligence could happen to a young girl who happened to live there. Would the aunt have even tried to protect Satou if somebody tried something? This is purely speculative. There's nothing in the text that suggests Satou was abused (at least, nothing suggesting she was abused by her aunt's "lovers"). But let's just say that this is not a good environment for a child to grow up in, and a range of awful things could've happened to her.

last edited at May 5, 2019 9:03PM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

OOOOOOOHHHHH it's different from the anime! We have hope! Just don't fucking come back for the ring, let the brother be burnt to death and stuff

last edited at May 5, 2019 9:20PM

joined May 24, 2014

OOOOOOOHHHHH it's different from the anime! We have hope! Just don't fucking come back for the ring, let the brother be burnt to death and stuff

it's only the most important thing in their lives, so OF COURSE they're coming back for it!

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

it's only the most important thing in their lives, so OF COURSE they're coming back for it!

Of course not. The most important thing are each other!!! And the new happy sugar life they both dream of!!! You can't risk it just for a ring, the promise is what matters, being by each other's side. It would be utterly stupid for them to go back for it.

last edited at May 5, 2019 10:07PM

joined Oct 10, 2016

We're getting close. That's good.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Well, you always gotta go back for those types of things I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVtNlcN6xOQ

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It would be stupid to go back for it.

But of course, she will.

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

This might end up like the anime after all...also LOL @ people arguing whether Satou is bad or not,we all are "bad" and "good" she obviously has issues, as does Shio and as her stalker, what's her name...this girl she even kissed...anyway let us enjoy the very near end.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It would be stupid to go back for it.

But of course, she will.

This is not the first . . . questionable decision she has made in her life.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Page 109, the onomatopoeia at the bottom, I think it should be "peek" not "peak", unless brocephus there is trying to turn into a mountain or something... (Sorry to nitpick, that particular common word typo annoys me like extra super bad for some reason.)

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Not gonna lie, I really don't see how anyone can truly hope for Satou and Shio to end up together alone somewhere. It's seriously the creepiest, most grotesque ending I could possibly imagine. I mean, I guess that's par for the course with the nature of the story, but good god Shio needs real help..

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

So it's gonna end exactly how the anime does? lame

edit: if this ends differently from the anime, i'll give everyone here a bajillion dollars

last edited at May 6, 2019 10:42AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Not gonna lie, I really don't see how anyone can truly hope for Satou and Shio to end up together alone somewhere. It's seriously the creepiest, most grotesque ending I could possibly imagine. I mean, I guess that's par for the course with the nature of the story, but good god Shio needs real help..

Life is not perfect, so it only matters if they're happy... I can't believe how people can see kids living on the street and do nothing, they eat from the fucking trash bin!!!! That's insane too, you know? What's the difference between one thing and the other? It would be so easy to solve, but people are not willing to help, because it doesn't bother them, so why would this situation bother them?
They have both been through A LOT, from the people who were supposed to teach them about society and what's good and bad, so they just don't think the same way we were taught, and they're just looking for happiness. Satou only ever hurt people who were trying to stop them or harm them (except the best friend, who was also all like: 'you need help etc etc' but at the end it was just a betrayal), so as long as she reaches happiness, she won't hurt anyone who doesn't hurt them.

last edited at May 6, 2019 11:09AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

This is as disappointing as when Akuma no Riddle was ending. The anime and the manga ended the same way, but the anime already spoiled it.
Hopefully this ending will have more than the anime (like Akuma no Riddle with the shipping and such)

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I mean, in a kind of fucked up way, I would really like to see that ending. It's like a "bad ending" for a game, Idk, it's interesting to see because it's so fucked up. If possible I would like to see both a "happy end" as well as a "bad end" tbh

last edited at May 6, 2019 3:19PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Most of the times, evil criminals die peacefully in their bed.

Only in stories do villains get punished in the end.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

So it's gonna end exactly how the anime does? lame

edit: if this ends differently from the anime, i'll give everyone here a bajillion dollars

It's already different in many ways. And I'm certain it will keep diverging from the anime, and we'll get a completely new ending.

And when that happens I will hold you to that promise. ( ͝סּ ͜ʖ͡סּ)

Oboy I can already see myself diving and swimming in a pool of dollars like Scrooge McDuck!

(How many zeros are in a bajillion, anyway?)

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

It's seriously the creepiest

You seriously need more time in the internet.

but good god Shio needs real help..

If at this point isn't clear to you Shio is better with Satou than with anyone else, you need to read the story again.

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

If at this point isn't clear to you Shio is better with Satou than with anyone else, you need to read the story again.

I mean despite the situation they're in being wrong, unhealthy and creepy, Satou is kind of the most qualified to take care of Shio out of the rest of the cast. Which is kind of saying something in and of itself.

But nah, Shio needs help legit help, her and Satou both.

(I kind of hope Satou doesnt go back for the ring but I know she will with how this manga is)

last edited at May 7, 2019 1:10PM

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

How many zeros are in a bajillion, anyway?

You mean it as a joke... but, couple of years ago, A. Stiefelmann, from the math department at the University of Hamburg, came with a serious answer to your question.

Let’s imagine bajillion is an actual number name.

Let’s remember how the names of large numbers are defined in the English language. First comes a number N in Latin, then an -illion suffix is added, for the resulting number having a 1 followed by 3N+3 zeros.

Example: a quadrillion ("quatuor" in Latin is four) has 3*4 + 3 zeros, that is, 15 zeros:
1 000 000 000 000 000

Now, there is no Latin number named baj or baji. But what if we drop the “Latin” requirement? Is there any language where baji is a number?

Yes, there is one: Chinese. And just as expected, it’s a ridiculously large number. Bā 八 is eight. Jí 极 is actually used for 10⁴⁸ in Buddhist texts (for some reason Eastern religions love extremely large numbers). That would make bājí 八极 equal to 8*10⁴⁸. The number of zeros in a bajillion is then (in English) three times this number plus three - that is 2.4*10⁴⁹ + 3, in other words, you have to write a 1 followed by

24 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 003

zeros. And that's how many zeros there are in a bajillion!

In an English bajillion, that is. In German and Spanish, the formula is different. From a number N in Latin, with an -illion suffix added, you get a number made from a 1 followed, not by 3N+3 zeros, but by 6N zeros, making the resulting number considerably higher.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

If Satou succeeds, the two of them are going to illegally immigrate to a country where they don't know a soul and don't speak the language. Their only identification is passports that don't belong to them. They'll be fugitives and can never reclaim their real identities. Satou isn't even a legal adult. How is Shio going to go to school? Will Satou be able to find work to support them? How will they find a place to live? I'm sure people do similar things in real life, but usually only in situations of extreme desperation. Life will be incredibly difficult for them, and any number of things could go wrong at any moment. Satou herself seems to have improved a bit in that she is willing to let Shio leave their apartment, but she's still very unstable (and a murderer). It's very clear that Satou isn't making very good decisions right now, and she'll really need to be on her toes if they have any chance at all of surviving in a foreign country.

On the other hand, Japan has a system for taking care of orphans and abandoned children. She'd be able to grow up in her own country among children her own age. She'd be able to keep her identity. She wouldn't be an illegal immigrant for her whole life, forced to live in the margins of society. She'd have access to shelter, schooling, and healthcare.

While Satou was keeping Shio locked up, it was obvious that Shio would be better off if Satou got caught. Forcing a child to grow up in the confines of a single apartment is extreme abuse—the kind of abuse that would result in child services taking the child away. Now the situation is a little better for Shio, but I would never say that she's better off with Satou than anywhere else.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

It's seriously the creepiest

You seriously need more time in the internet.

You really think that? Let me rephrase the question: if this scenario played out in real life exactly as described, would you still feel that way? Or are you merely using the fact that this is just a manga to rationalize it that way?

Both girls have a history that makes the other a good fit to "feel better" around each other -- Sure, both girls could essentially lick each others wounds, but it is not a healthy relationship in the long run. It's one thing to rely on the experiences of others to help you find solace or closure in your own troubles -- that's why things like Alcoholics Anonymous can be so therapeutic to attendees, but it's another thing altogether when you let your insecurities and issues literally feed the focus of the relationship.

Shio is like 5 years old -- she hasn't even lived long enough to know what she needs, and the issue with her mom is still very fresh, so everything she does is pretty impulsive on her raw emotions. It's the same reason why we don't let adults sexually abuse children, even if the abused children are fine with it. The children might like or even love that affection, perhaps going even further in because it provides some catharsis in their lives, but it's not helping them. It may even scar them for life as they get older and realize what they have been a part of. There are intense parallels here to what Satou is doing to Shio and Satou hasn't seemed to realize this, though up to this point it looks like she is probably starting to with how she's been getting about the murder of her "friend".

The whole theme of this story to me is too much of a good thing can be bad, down to the very name of the manga itself. Satou is so hyperfocused on Shio that she'll do literally anything to keep things that way up to and including murdering any and all who get a little too close, and Shio is so hyperfocused on being needed/loved by Satou that Satou is literally her entire world. Fuck the consequences.

By help, Shio needs to see proper counselling, and make connections with individuals who aren't using them to mask their own issues. Children are tragically abandoned by their parents at young ages all the time. Shio's situation is sadly not rare. That doesn't mean getting essentially abducted by some random stranger who provides them with the affection they were robbed of by their parents is a good thing, even if they are absolutely loving every minute of it. It doesn't help that Satou is so paranoid about Shio being taken away that she basically treats her like a bird in a cage in that apartment. Shio being with with this kind of confinement is a symptom of a greater problem, not an acknowledgement that what is happening to her is okay.

Mind you, I haven't watched the anime because I wanted to get the ending as presented by the manga so I don't know how this ends. I'm going to assume not well.

last edited at May 8, 2019 1:56AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.