Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Smug
joined Dec 16, 2015

Ok, read the rest of this and I can say: I don't like any of the characters. Not all of them are written badly but hell if I can even remember their names.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

well finally
this chapter was actually pretty good that doesn´t change the fact that the rest of the manga is a mess but i´m willing to give it a second chance if the story keeps going foward maybe there´s redemption to this manga

last edited at Feb 24, 2019 8:19PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Too be honest. I would also try to solve all my problems by throwing cats at people's faces if I could think of a convenient way to transport enough cats with me as I commute.

last edited at Feb 24, 2019 8:56PM

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Too be honest. I would also try to solve all my problems by throwing cats at people's faces if I could think of a convenient way to transport enough cats with me as I commute.

Don't throw if you drive. With best wishes, your friendly Catraffic Cop.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Am I the only one who likes Kaoru x Uta? lol

I think probably the only reason I do is because I'm finding myself sick of tragic or otherwise unhappy endings. (A la "Bury Your Gays".) As a perpetually and probably now permanently single lady, I just want to have a little warm and fuzzy when I can get it. And it seems I'm finally to a point where I'm willing to overlook things like poor character development or heavy-handed, square-peg-in-the-round-hole forced plots, so long as it means two gals find some mote of happiness together.

arandommangareader
joined Nov 10, 2018

Wait wait wait... Is this manga going to betray its name?

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

UTA SAID CUT THE BULLSHIT

ThrustFromBehind
joined Feb 8, 2019

FINALLY, THE YURI HAS FINALLY COME.
AH MAN, IT FEELS SO GOOD~~~

ThrustFromBehind
joined Feb 8, 2019

I want to see a Kaoru Top like in the beginning of the story.

ThrustFromBehind
joined Feb 8, 2019

Wait wait wait... Is this manga going to betray its name?

ITS BEEN 84 YEARS MAN. FINALLY THE ACTION HAS RISEN!!!

ThrustFromBehind
joined Feb 8, 2019

JUST KISS ALREADY!!!

Uta holding Kaoru's face closely isn't enough, but I'll take anything since the action is finally rising up.

ThrustFromBehind
joined Feb 8, 2019

"I love you"
Uta gets pushed back a little bit
Aaahh man, Kaoru you freaked up everything.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I didn't find Kaoru's pushing Uta back to be very encouraging. But I do get the sense that she has some unconscious attraction to Uta based on the way she behaves.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I didn't find Kaoru's pushing Uta back to be very encouraging. But I do get the sense that she has some unconscious attraction to Uta based on the way she behaves.

It seems like a million years ago, but at the start of the series Kaoru was remarkably committed to skinship with Uta, including instituting a culturally unusual “daily family hugging” protocol, and her first-chapter necklace gift, well, in many yuri manga that’s a “gateway to getting laid” scene:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#22

Even if, hypothetically, Uta has been misreading Kaoru’s signals all along, there certainly have been a hell of a lot of signals to misread.

joined May 1, 2013

People are saying Kaoru hasn't gotten development?

This is very strange to me. She's gotten more development than anyone else.

Seeing her do things is not the same as “development.” She has been consistently passive, obtuse (“So when you say you “like” me after building up to it by talking about your unrequited love, does that mean . . .?”), and conflict-avoidant (allowing her single attempt to confront Reiichi to be deflected by a weak excuse).

...why doesn't this count as development? Her tendency is to slap a band-aid on a problem, usually by feigning ignorance. This is an extremely unhelpful strategy, and she knows it, but she's also kind of given up.

She's pretty clearly depressed, but she's been rewarded by like everyone she knows (including by both Reiichi AND Uta) for being the cute, charming, cheerful airhead. She hoped that 'love' would like magically cause someone to understand her, and she has no idea what to do when that didn't happen.

And Uta tries HARDEST to understand her, because she's worked on "I mustn't idealize her just because I have a crush on her!" Which Kaoru really appreciates and is scared to lose.

This sure looks like development to me.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Seeing her do things is not the same as “development.” She has been consistently passive, obtuse (“So when you say you “like” me after building up to it by talking about your unrequited love, does that mean . . .?”), and conflict-avoidant (allowing her single attempt to confront Reiichi to be deflected by a weak excuse).

...why doesn't this count as development? Her tendency is to slap a band-aid on a problem, usually by feigning ignorance. This is an extremely unhelpful strategy, and she knows it, but she's also kind of given up.

She's pretty clearly depressed, but she's been rewarded by like everyone she knows (including by both Reiichi AND Uta) for being the cute, charming, cheerful airhead. She hoped that 'love' would like magically cause someone to understand her, and she has no idea what to do when that didn't happen.

And Uta tries HARDEST to understand her, because she's worked on "I mustn't idealize her just because I have a crush on her!" Which Kaoru really appreciates and is scared to lose.

well actually no development involves a character changing the way he/she acts or sees the world and kaoru has been the same character through all the manga, well not exactly since at the last chapter she actually stop avoiding issues and finally took action, but saying that kaoru is the most developed character is just delusional

to me the most developed character by far is kuroe, she starts as this shut in girl wich is friends with uta, then later we learn about her family issues and why she´s so unwilling to engage in a relationship, she resolves her problems and starts a relationship with miyabe, she starts being more friendly towards this girl wich i don´t remember her name
if you compare kuroe from chapter 1 to the actual kuroe is pretty obvios that she´s not the same character

it´s so sad that the author puts so much effort in a secondary character instead of focusing on the main story and characters

E6ede813daabea1e3e623efa6effd4febf2648bc_hq
joined Nov 16, 2015

Karou you oblivious walnut why you push her away but I don't blame you. I probably would have the same reaction when someone (whom I unconsciously found attraction to and the realization finally comes to the surface) is two inches from my face and said that they loved me

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

well actually no development involves a character changing the way he/she acts or sees the world and kaoru has been the same character through all the manga, well not exactly since at the last chapter she actually stop avoiding issues and finally took action, but saying that kaoru is the most developed character is just delusional

Actually, benja, to be fair to karp, I now need to halfway disagree with myself, and also with you agreeing with me. What you said absolutely is character development in the sense that I meant it.

But I should have remembered that “character development” actually has two sometimes overlapping meanings:

One is something that authors do—a character is depicted in such a way that readers have a sense of who that person is and why they do the things they do. That may involve a lot of attention given to the character, or just a few well-chosen strokes that give insight into the fictional person.

The second is what we were talking about—something that characters themselves do. They learn and change because of their experiences (not necessarily for the better, of course). Kuroe is an excellent example of that, but readers are able to perceive that partly because she’s also given development in the first sense.

So everybody’s right, which means we all get lollipops. Lol

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

She’s finally talked to a friend about her problems, and now is talking to Uta, so those are encouraging signs, but there’s a long way to go before she’s plausibly someone who would throw over her entire life to be in a romantic relationship with her sister-in-law.

Kaoru does me as a person who would take advantage of an escape at this point, though. Like, yes, she’s consistently smoothed over all potential conflict, but that can never last in an interior or exterior sense (I say as someone who behaves in much the same way).

I just hope that this doesn’t end up reading like her using her sister’s feelings as an excuse to upend Uta’s life. Though that could make for a decent (and upsetting) development in its own right, I guess.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So I just went though the first 15 chapters and I gotta mention something: Why does character's upper body mass keeps doubling in height? Now that I noticed once (And in a serious scene no less) I'm now just keeping a eye out for it.

I'd need examples to tell what you're seeing, but the art in this series is pretty solid and consistent? Kaoru has a tendency to wear long sweaters, so I suspect you're miscontruing where their waist actually is under the clothes.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Am I the only one who likes Kaoru x Uta? lol

Nah, I think they'd be sweet and cute together, and Kaoru deserves somebody that actually loves her. Reiichi should seriously just ask for a divorce and go back to Risako.

joined Dec 28, 2016

FINALLY. I skipped the rest of the chapters and jumped to this one. The last 10+ chapters appear to basically not be relevant.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

FINALLY. I skipped the rest of the chapters and jumped to this one. The last 10+ chapters appear to basically not be relevant.

You're not wrong sadly haha. Well the one before this one was a little informative I guess, and the one before that one was, and that was it.

WHEN'S THE NEXT CHAPTER CHIKUSHOOOOU?!

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Karou you oblivious walnut why you push her away but I don't blame you. I probably would have the same reaction when someone (whom I unconsciously found attraction to and the realization finally comes to the surface) is two inches from my face and said that they loved me

Compound that with the fact that the person is still in high school and you are an adult. I don't envy Kaoru's situation honestly, maybe if I was her I would pack up and leave lol
I wonder how long it will take Kaoru to realize the attraction is mutual, or if pushing Uta back was the realization already.

last edited at Feb 25, 2019 7:59AM

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

the only ending i can (or want a bit) see from all this long-dragged angst drama...is that Kaoru makes up with Reiichi and Uta moves on from her love for Kaoru.
its titled 'Unrequited Love' after all...
unless the twist is that the title ended up referred to Kaoru (with Reiichi) and not to Uta which leaves the ending I mentioned moot...

last edited at Feb 25, 2019 9:58AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.