Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Thank you for your explanation for the occurrence of secondary characters in narratives, although I'm pretty sure that we, like most people who have learned to read stories, were aware of that before.

This is the first time I've ever been called "crazy" for expecting individual elements of a story to have something to do with the story as a whole, however, suggesting that maybe the idea is not actually so crazy.

I would be interested in hearing some specific examples of how Uta's friends other than Kuroe have changed or influenced her, particularly how they might have influenced her to take an action, as opposed to her thinking about taking an action but not doing it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Thank you for your explanation for the occurrence of secondary characters in narratives, although I'm pretty sure that we, like most people who have learned to read stories, were aware of that before.

This is the first time I've ever been called "crazy" for expecting individual elements of a story to have something to do with the story as a whole, however, suggesting that maybe the idea is not actually so crazy.

I would be interested in hearing some specific examples of how Uta's friends other than Kuroe have changed or influenced her, particularly how they might have influenced her to take an action, as opposed to her thinking about taking an action but not doing it.

You're quite welcome.

It's a bit crazy to expect every element to feed into one greater picture. That's clinical thinking, not a living narrative. It can be done well (Bloom Into You comes to mind), but is not the ultimate standard to work with in my opinion.

First of all we have two main characters, Uta and Kaoru, so the supporting cast is split amongst them.
As for an example, gee, it's almost like I already mentioned it in my last posts. Miyabi just helped Uta "realize" what step she needs to take to get rid of her perceived uncertainty between herself and Kaoru. It might turn out detrimental, but it's a starting point. That is just the most recent example though. If you need a list I will have to come back to you after my next big re-read. lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As for an example, gee, it's almost like I already mentioned it in my last posts. Miyabi just helped Uta "realize" what step she needs to take to get rid of her perceived uncertainty between herself and Kaoru. It might turn out detrimental, but it's a starting point. That is just the most recent example though. If you need a list I will have to come back to you after my next big re-read. lol

Please do, since I specifically asked for an example of Uta actually doing something rather than her just considering doing something.

Perhaps something will happen that in retrospect will clarify why the structure of this story has been so apparently amorphous, and why so much attention has been paid to apparently peripheral characters. I've thought that before, however, and it hasn't happened yet.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Please do, since I specifically asked for an example of Uta actually doing something rather than her just considering doing something.

Perhaps something will happen that in retrospect will clarify why the structure of this story has been so apparently amorphous, and why so much attention has been paid to apparently peripheral characters. I've thought that before, however, and it hasn't happened yet.

You must be quite the pessimist. If the last chapter wasn't a very clear lead-in for exactly what I just explained then either you cannot read cliffhangers right or this author has schizophrenia. We will know soon enough lol

There doesn't need to be an explanation. It works the way it is structured. A slow burn is a slow burn and characters can change without actions of grandeur. If anything the characters surrounding Uta show that she is actually quite competent at solving other's problems rather than her own. She is only indecisive when it comes to herself. That is quite interesting in itself.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You must be quite the pessimist. If the last chapter wasn't a very clear lead-in for exactly what I just explained then either you cannot read cliffhangers right or this author has schizophrenia. We will know soon enough lol

C'mon, be fair--of course I can read cliffhangers.

That's why when Kaoru caught her husband with another woman, I expected she would confront him in the next chapter.
That's why when Kaoru demanded a sit-down with her husband, I expected that the truth would come out.
That's why when chapter 14 ended with Uta about to confess, I expected that the next chapter would show Kaoru's response.

This series so far has taught me that if the end of one chapter suggests that something important is about to happen in the next chapter, it probably won't happen, at least not any time soon.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

C'mon, be fair--of course I can read cliffhangers.

That's why when Kaoru caught her husband with another woman, I expected she would confront him in the next chapter.
That's why when Kaoru demanded a sit-down with her husband, I expected that the truth would come out.
That's why when chapter 14 ended with Uta about to confess, I expected that the next chapter would show Kaoru's response.

This series so far has taught me that if the end of one chapter suggests that something important is about to happen in the next chapter, it probably won't happen, at least not any time soon.

C'mon, you are conflating stingers with set-ups.

That cliffhanger only showed that she knows about it now, but there was no indication that she would confront him. That would go against her character anyway (albeit it certainly got my blood boiling).
Well that sit-down certainly had the intention to mislead you, but that's a common trope to build up suspense (read: drag it out). Though at least it was deflected by a new plot point rather than just going nowhere.
That one is kind of obvious... The "response" did happen, we just weren't supposed to be privy to it. Again suspense and all that fuzz. The reason they didn't change much afterwards actually feeds into the plot, because in the end Kaoru's response was not direct enough and left things hanging just the way it was before, but more painful. Her trying to make sense of it while keeping up her facade of normalcy is one of the things that makes this a drama.

At least your last example proved you wrong already, but I'm not denying that the bait and switch is in effect. However, here everything has been set-up for a confrontation and characters have already resolved themselves through prior advice from outsiders. The only way to avoid the confrontation now is to again use a third party plot point to interfere. It could happen, but I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt.

last edited at Feb 8, 2019 3:22AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Look, you can redescribe the plot of the story over and over and keep saying, “It’s fine. That’s how it’s supposed to be. It is what it is. That’s not a _____, it’s a ______” until you’re blue in the face.

I get it. You like it.

Enjoy.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Look, you can redescribe the plot of the story over and over and keep saying, “It’s fine. That’s how it’s supposed to be. It is what it is. That’s not a _____, it’s a ______” until you’re blue in the face.

I get it. You like it.

Enjoy.

Constructive conversation as usual, Blastaar. You seem a little riled up recently. Take it easy~

last edited at Feb 8, 2019 9:06AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Constructive conversation as usual, Blastaar. You seem a little riled up recently. Take it easy~

I think the term you used was “crazy.” Perhaps—not for me to say.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think the term you used was “crazy.” Perhaps—not for me to say.

This is what I am talking about. I'll let ya simmer down. Maybe you'll be back to normal in a jiffy lol

joined Dec 18, 2018

I think it's a bit crazy to expect every character to have absolute relevance to the main plot or to move it onward. They are there to add dimensions to the cast and the world. Whether that is too distracting from the real issue (whichever that may be at this point) is up to anyone individually.
I don't mind honestly, because the main plot is brewing in the background. You can very clearly see where Uta or Kaoru are being shoved in to make that clear. It can also be a bit (read: very) suffocating to always be in the middle of the very painful drama. Seeing Uta's life outside of that confined space and how her friends influence her with their stories certainly can be positive.

Personally, I was in it for the painful drama. Oh well, I guess I don't have the patience for this kind of nuance. I only got through maybe half the stories in Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Personally, I was in it for the painful drama. Oh well, I guess I don't have the patience for this kind of nuance. I only got through maybe half the stories in Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl.

My deepest condolences.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I can't even feel the pain in this story because Citrus made me numb to everything but high-octane, K-style drama. For me it feel like reading a news article at this point. But I want to here make a bet: Uta and Kaoru will make out instead of "talk it out". Called it first, you can thank me later.

Aaa
joined Jan 9, 2014

THEY BETTER FUCK IN THE NEXT CHAPTER OR I'M DROPPING

I beg for It brotha!

joined Jun 25, 2017

I can't even feel the pain in this story because Citrus made me numb to everything but high-octane, K-style drama. For me it feel like reading a news article at this point. But I want to here make a bet: Uta and Kaoru will make out instead of "talk it out". Called it first, you can thank me later.

WAIT TILL YOU READ CHAPTER 21. The Raws are our and I don’t even know what they are saying and I’m crying!!! Anyone want to translate?

joined Feb 18, 2018

Where are the raws???

joined Feb 18, 2018

I beg for It brotha!

Same, I can't take it anymore

joined Jun 25, 2017

Where are the raws???

https://m.imgur.com/a/vZoY80Y

Can you translate? Like what did she say at the end? Haha

joined Jun 12, 2015

Where are the raws???

https://m.imgur.com/a/vZoY80Y

Can you translate? Like what did she say at the end? Haha

Just wait for chaosteam release.
Man, the art really downgraded in this manga. So inconsitent. Especially those stretched bodies.

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 1:32AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

DAMN. lol finally something happened

joined Feb 18, 2018

RIP

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

FUCK IT HURTS

not end of the world jesus guys

joined Feb 18, 2018

My new bet: make out next chapter.
(yes, I bet that every single chapter...)

Unbenannt%20(copy)
joined Apr 21, 2018

Why is still Kaoru talking about: "I want u to live with US" ?! Dude this Guy cheated on her and she is still wearing the Ring. Is she dumb or did i miss something?!

To reply you must either login or sign up.