Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

this is too real.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

the salt the mum had

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 10:08PM

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

...depicting the symptoms is just one part of understanding the topic, while actually showing us how to overcome them is a whole other beast, and that's where I have no faith in the author's ability or, indeed, willingness to execute. I have already expressed in this thread my discomfort at the apparent mixed messaging of this manga, where we are seemingly expected to root for Neeko on one page, but to point our fingers and to laugh at her illness on the other. That is what makes me think the story will never reach a satisfying conclusion.

Arguably, as I've taken a day or two to think it over, that may be the point of this series. Depicting Neeko's relapses and outbursts with such genuine emotion and accuracy means the author definitely has a degree of familiarity. Whether it's off hand knowledge from an acquaintence who was actually willing to share their experience, or they have personal experience with the subject is both unknown and unnecessary. What matters is that I have full confidence that Neeko's plight is genuine.

That said, there is a dilemma inherent to depicting severe social anxiety so accurately.

On one hand, Neeko is a fictional character in a fictional setting that we emphasize with and we want to see improve and get better. On the other, anyone experiencing the same things Neeko is knows that if it were that easy to solve they probably would have done it by now, and if she were to quickly and suddenly get better out of nowhere it would be disrespectful to the people who are actually suffering.

There's a delicate balance and the author is really towing that line. The times where Neeko's dysfunction is treated like a "joke" doesn't actually feel disrespectful to me, at least, not totally. It's just accurate to how most people are treated. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, it's supposed to. Neeko is misunderstood and that's fine. The author is making a point that this is Neeko's life and this is what people feel.

My personal issue, and I hate taking about myself and do it rarely online, I'm only using myself as an example, is that Neeko is too empathetic to me. Her life almost feels like I'm reading a personal biography (with some notable exceptions, of course. I'm not a cute anime girl living in Japan, for one.)

While I'm glad a peice of media exists that helps others understand what people like me are going through, it's really hard to continue reading and remind myself of my own issues constantly.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Neeko's mom comes across as genuinely wanting to push her daughter forward without really understanding how she feels. like, she does what she can for Neeko to "progress" on the life track she doesn't question because that's what she and all her peers believe you're just supposed to do, it's normal and there's no reason to think about it.

Well, yeah. Moms trying to get their twenty-something daughters married asap (setting up omiai and such) is like the oldest trope in the book. Truth in fiction, too.

It's a common source of angst in yuri stories, where the lesbian daughter isn't interested in men but 1) she hasn't come out to her parents yet, or 2) she has come out to them -- but they just got angry and redoubled their efforts to get her a proper husband. I don't think it's Neeko's case, though, as she has shown some interest in males (and little attraction to females).

Honestly, it's kind of unrealistic that her mother has waited until now to introduce her to some marriage candidates. In a less comedic setting, the pressure on Neeko to marry someone and give grandchildren to her mother would have been there, I suspect, since long ago.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Aranged dates... Fking ell..

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Neeko's mom comes across as genuinely wanting to push her daughter forward without really understanding how she feels. like, she does what she can for Neeko to "progress" on the life track she doesn't question because that's what she and all her peers believe you're just supposed to do, it's normal and there's no reason to think about it.

Well, yeah. Moms trying to get their twenty-something daughters married asap (setting up omiai and such) is like the oldest trope in the book. Truth in fiction, too.

It's a common source of angst in yuri stories, where the lesbian daughter isn't interested in men but 1) she hasn't come out to her parents yet, or 2) she has come out to them -- but they just got angry and redoubled their efforts to get her a proper husband. I don't think it's Neeko's case, though, as she has shown some interest in males (and little attraction to females).

Honestly, it's kind of unrealistic that her mother has waited until now to introduce her to some marriage candidates. In a less comedic setting, the pressure on Neeko to marry someone and give grandchildren to her mother would have been there, I suspect, since long ago.

But its the dad who sat this one up

joined Sep 28, 2015

lol false alarm everyone.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

But it's the dad who set this one up.

Yeah... and now that we know who "Sousuke" is, it makes sense.

The author really trolled us. I was absolutely sure some guy was going to come for Neeko... someone who was manly, assertive, good-looking, with a great job, and, generally speaking, the perfect hubby candidate. Then Neeko would have to fight an uphill battle to reject him!

Actually, I'm glad it didn't turn out like that. Whew!

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

got baited by the cover for some reason, I dunno why

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Well, you gotta hand it to Neeko, even in the midst of her despair, she still shows off a great camel toe.

Also, now it's Neeko and Neko, this could become a buddy comedy or a crime show, or both.

last edited at Mar 13, 2019 10:05PM

joined May 24, 2014

Well looks like neko will deal with a puss!

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

oh would you look at that, she is now scared of her mom. wonder why....

joined Apr 30, 2014

Wow, that cat must really not like her mom.

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

Is anyone like me? Waiting for my tag suggestion for this chapter approved, the SUBTEXT tag.

Telling you! I can smell yuri blood in Marino vein!!!

last edited at Apr 29, 2019 12:29PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I think we can already add Yuri crush to this

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

No way this girl's heterosexual

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

No way this girl's heterosexual

Yup. She even has a mild version of Kase-san gaze... Poor waiter.

Gintama_sakata_gintoki_man_sword_greeting_smile_35615_300x240
joined Apr 29, 2019

very angst, guy have no eye

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Just in case I'll leave this here

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni

joined Jan 26, 2019

This is the scariest manga I have ever read.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Just in case I'll leave this here
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni

I tried to watch this but I ended up feeling just too creeped out by the age difference and implied power imbalance in the relationship. I really like the art though, so there's that.

Also, it was exactly what I thought of too, when I read this chapter. lol

last edited at Apr 29, 2019 9:29PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

At this rate Neeko's going to get another sister.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Neeko chapter, yay! No Neeko in it, boo.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Is anyone like me? Waiting for my tag suggestion for this chapter approved, the SUBTEXT tag.

Telling you! I can smell yuri blood in Marino vein!!!

I'm like you.
Both Subtext and Yuri Crush would be appropiate, I'd say.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

The artstyle is so lovely! I can't get enough of this series (legit, I need more than they can supply me!) I'm sure anyone can relate to Neeko in most aspects (I feel your pain Neeko, in the same position as her)
There's no tag but her sister is making the subtext happen in this series (her friend is almost at yandere stalker level), didn't expect any Yuri from this at all but.... maybe subtext

last edited at Sep 22, 2019 3:24AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.