Forum › Mirai no Fuufu Desu Kedo? discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I like this manga - but one thing - You see quite often in anime/manga young kids living on their own (parents setting them up somewhere for school). These girls are in middle school - is that really a thing in Japan?

If it's not it seems weird to have some plot device that is unrealistic and if true, it seems irresponsible.

Here in the UK at least it would be totally illegal. At 14 you can leave a kid alone overnight - if they are not at any risk (i.e depends on assessment of your kids maturity). But say you naffed off on holiday for a week or 2 and left them with food and money at home with no adult- you'd get back to probably find the police waiting and your kids in custody! Let alone dumping them in some house alone in another city!

Just makes me wonder if Japan has much laxer laws in some areas of child welfare, or if it is just a manga trope thing to avoid drawing the rest of the family, or to provide an always empty house where they can do whatever they like etc.

last edited at Mar 15, 2018 9:50PM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

wow, what a terrible pace, I think I got a shut-eye in-between pages

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

pretty cute!

Nico%204
joined May 26, 2015

She's a tsundere even in her mind while she's alone and thinking to herself. Huh.

last edited at Mar 16, 2018 2:41AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Luuuk posted:

She's a tsundere even in her mind while she's alone and thinking to herself. Huh.

Tsundere is also a state of mind, not only an attitude.

joined Mar 15, 2017

I like this manga - but one thing - You see quite often in anime/manga young kids living on their own (parents setting them up somewhere for school). These girls are in middle school - is that really a thing in Japan?

If it's not it seems weird to have some plot device that is unrealistic and if true, it seems irresponsible.

She's living with her grandma.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Reejun posted:

She's living with her grandma.

It's not explicit. I was thinking this too at first, but then she's talking about her grandma in the past tense, like she's dead, so now she can move in alone.

But the more likely explanation, is, as you point out, that the grandma is still around. That we don't see her can be interpreted as "she's irrelevant".

joined Mar 15, 2017

^ The past tense is because the grandma isn't alone anymore thanks to her moving there. The question is about why she moved to there when the rest of her family didn't.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

"The Story of a Future Married Couple" [Next Page] Sakurako x ??Chinatsu???!

At least I could understand Akari. Sakurako is probably the main person at Nanamori that actually always respects and notices Akari.

But Chinatsu??

I call shenanigans! Then I call the Furutani residence! Then I call the Yuri police.

The immature girl reminds me of Nene and Aoba.

last edited at Mar 16, 2018 6:56PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I like it. Pacing is still a little odd and makes me wonder how many more chapters are going to be this way but I'll take it as I don't have a lot to read anyway.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I assume the yuru yuri page is an advert the translators left in and actually just seems to be the cover for yuru yuri tank number 16 or whatever.

joined Dec 28, 2016

Here in the UK at least it would be totally illegal. At 14 you can leave a kid alone overnight - if they are not at any risk (i.e depends on assessment of your kids maturity). But say you naffed off on holiday for a week or 2 and left them with food and money at home with no adult- you'd get back to probably find the police waiting and your kids in custody! Let alone dumping them in some house alone in another city!

Just makes me wonder if Japan has much laxer laws in some areas of child welfare, or if it is just a manga trope thing to avoid drawing the rest of the family, or to provide an always empty house where they can do whatever they like etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/10/why-japanese-kids-can-walk-to-school-alone/408475/

This isn't an anime trope. It's incredibly common for kids to be on their own in Japan.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-01-16/.111067

https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/2i79j5/are_underaged_students_living_alone_really_a_thing/

It's also not too uncommon for high schoolers to live on their own.

last edited at Mar 17, 2018 1:14PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I assume the yuru yuri page is an advert the translators left in and actually just seems to be the cover for yuru yuri tank number 16 or whatever.

Of course but it jolted me nonetheless for a second :)

joined Jun 12, 2015

Boring.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for the interesting info!

joined Apr 18, 2018

Boring.

Eat shit.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Aries_Lufir posted:

Eat shit.

That's a bit over the top and unnecessary, don't you think?

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

I don't give a damn that this is the most generic Yuri SoL premise ever, I love this. Chisaki and Honori's interactions are a joy to read. ❤️

Picsart_05-15-11.56.08%20(2)
joined Jun 17, 2018

Yuru yuri though in one of the first pages

Ithink%20small
joined Aug 13, 2015

This worms my Yuri heart ^̮^

joined Feb 18, 2015

^ The past tense is because the grandma isn't alone anymore thanks to her moving there. The question is about why she moved to there when the rest of her family didn't.

That's an easy question to answer: stability. She said that her family had to move around a lot for work, which would mean that she's probably had to switch schools repeatedly. Her parents probably recognized that with the more challenging coursework from middle-school on, it wouldn't be good to be switching schools often, especially if their jobs make them move more than once per school year. Switching schools mid semester can be really tough if the school you move to teaches topics at a different pace than the one you left, leaving potential gaps in your education. It's kind of annoying getting to higher level math and having everyone else know what the teacher is talking about when it's something you've never been taught... (This happened to my daughter because she tested into a class by pure mathematical intuition that was post Algebra II at the advanced math and science high school she went to when she hadn't taken it yet. Yeah... she was that good at math that she could figure out the answers on a multiple choice test for topics that she'd never been taught... but that didn't mean she could actually show the work when she was required to do so later on! We ended up having her tutored in Algebra II over the summer by her old math teacher. It helped a lot. But I digress...)

Meanwhile, her best friend, who she's obviously in love with, lives close to Grandma... so she had an obvious personal reason to want to move in with Grandma... I'm guessing that her family spent a lot of holidays at her grandma's house or lived in the town at some point when she was younger and the two girls have obviously been friends for a long time. It is clear that she's not telling her crush the real reason she wanted to move in with Grandma is her!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Someone pick it up in mangadex, apparently it's over with like 4 volumes in Japan but I'm looking forward to the end

joined Jun 12, 2015

Where did you find that info about 4 volumes? It's only two volumes.

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

Good chapter

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

h3x posted:

Where did you find that info about 4 volumes? It's only two volumes.

My apologies, it must be my preconception that the average manga volume is around 6 chapters and I've heard this ended with like 20

To reply you must either login or sign up.