Forum › Pages in Search of a Bookmark discussion

Kikaluna Uploader
Ef2_zi-u4ae1h8g
Noca Scans
joined Nov 20, 2017

I knew the childhood friend would lose automatically so I tried not caring for her, but I clearly failed because I think she is precious as fuck. If she ends up all alone after all this I might just put this artist on the blacklist for not having taste

I mean, why would the author develop Rikako's feelings like that?

I think, somewhere in the story, Rikako will be happy. That or it's gonna be "My Joy" all over again (Pito's manhwa).

joined Jul 23, 2017

Deym....

joined Jul 23, 2017

Twins?

That's what I thought too.
My guess is: Touka-san died and her twin is pretending to be her for whatever reason. Sad...

Yea like the other manga

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Man, I usually just enjoy the friend's pain in love triangle stories, but the senpai here just really rubs me the wrong way and now I want Rikako to be the endgame. She definitely deserves happiness.

And gods, I hope the reason for the senpai acting like crap is good and well thought out.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Aww it's nice to know that there are still people who appreciate DNA 2.

I'm the one who translated it to English, at a time when scanlation was an unknown thing. I translated chapter by chapter and posted the text files in the VGAI ML (which had actually become, in time, more like a "Anything by Masakazu Katsura" ML). People would download the scans of the original Japanese pages and read 'em holding a printed copy of my translations in hand. Oh the memories.

Seriously? Thank you for your hard work!! :D people like you made many teenage years happy years, DNA2 rocks, hahaha! And well, I was #TEAM AMI now and 4ever : )

Those were the times... we're talking about 21 or 22 years ago, when even finding a text translation of a manga was a godsend... at that time, if some guy had suggested taking the scans of a Japanese manga and editing and rewriting every single speech balloon in English, everyone would have thought he was raving crazy. Sigh, I feel my age.

I just went through my directories of old works and found my DNA 2 translations. How nostalgic... I didn't just translate the dialogues, I also described the settings, the characters, and the action for every page -- or, in the case of fast-paced fight scenes, for every panel. This was because some people in the ML had trouble getting the raw scans and depended on my posts as their only source of information. Here's an example, first page of volume one:

----------- p.7

(Momonari Junta, a slightly undersized teenage boy with an
incongrous spiky haircut, sits in the living room of Saeki Tomoko,
a gorgeous teenage girl. He nervously watches her reflection
in the mirror as she steps out of the shower...)

Junta: ("Female allergy." Thanks to this physical condition, for 16 years
I've been continuously ridiculed by girls. In my childhood, holding
a girl's hand would cause me to faint. If I was normal, this
delectable situation wouldn't be possible, but as for me, it's
just hell.)

Junta: (Uh, don't!! She's coming here.)

Tomoko: I hate the air conditioner, so in the summer, if I don't shower
4, 5 times a day, I'm just not comfortable.

Junta: (While bikinis and body contact make me dizzy, looking at
practically nude figures in the mirror is even worse.)

----------- x

I did this for every page in every volume. All 42 chapters. Past me sure had dedication.. I don't think I would have the energy to pull it off today... >_<

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

And gods, I hope the reason for the senpai acting like crap is good and well thought out.

I feel like Touka’s barrette breaking is a symptom of a bigger problem. Maybe something big happened to her, perhaps involving someone else, and her classmates found out and are now spreading rumors about it. Maybe Touka pretended to not recognize Chitose because she didn’t want her to get involved in these rumors.

Seems kinda shallow and overdone, but I guess we’ll see.

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Rirako is an angel. #teamRirako

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

She needs to make a list:

That was good. A great and detailed list that proves that Rikako is her best choice and that it's a pity they will never end up together (as the Rikako ship never even made it to the water in the first place).

That said...

Sempai:
- You have to spill your blood in a bowl to attract her
- Will always be young and beautiful

Um, what? Are you implying that she's some kind of vampire? If it's a joking reference to another story, I'm not getting it.

Some traditions say ghosts are drawn to blood so you can pour it in a bowl to attract them.

Re Chapter 3. The sempai CLEARLY has no idea - so it's memory loss or a twin.

last edited at Aug 29, 2018 7:39PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I knew the childhood friend would lose automatically so I tried not caring for her, but I clearly failed because I think she is precious as fuck. If she ends up all alone after all this I might just put this artist on the blacklist for not having taste

I mean, why would the author develop Rikako's feelings like that?

I think, somewhere in the story, Rikako will be happy. That or it's gonna be "My Joy" all over again (Pito's manhwa).

Nah, I've read tons of yuri manga (and even just straight relationships in anime) and have seen that even if you you are the childhood friend and your feelings are very developed into the story there's a 5% chance of you winning

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Anyone else hoping for polyamory ending?

E05aff7c1334de03865ce183142c84b52
joined Feb 6, 2014

I already sorry for Rikako.
Would be nice at least once where protagonist and main support character will end up together at the end.

last edited at Sep 2, 2018 1:39AM

joined Jan 8, 2016

Hmm it is indeed a rare happening but childhood friends can win too!
Two examples:
- Kashimashi (yuri)
- DNA 2 ( straight but relevant to conversation)

Man, those two were really satisfying and I'm not even necessarily someone who wants the childhood friend to "win", necessarily (liking someone doesn't mean you deserve anything).

joined Oct 3, 2018

Same here, and I even never liked the kind of childhood friends love.

• When I first look at chapter 2: Oh no, not again, I don't freaking care about that childhood friends loves, please focus on the main couple.
  • After reading chapter 2: Oh no, now I like her so much, now I have to see her suffer every chapter.

I like both the childhood friend and the senpai, so in the future, whoever of them win the MC, while the other have to suffer, seems like all bad ending for me. Author, why you do this to me ;__;

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I really don't like that glasses girl damn it I really hope the childhood friend can steal the protags lips.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Now I'm starting to think people just don't like her because she's a lesbian, or maybe that's not the case, who knows

Scratch that, I just realized that her friend likes her so why would she think her being a lesbian is a threat, that was stupid of me

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 5:11PM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

if childhood friend won't end up with the mc then im hoping they'll introduce a new character for her.

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 5:23PM

joined Nov 14, 2013

Lets make a pool on what the secret is about the senpai. I think the most obvious one is shes a lesbian right? But lets go further and ill say that she was sleeping with a teacher. Whats your money on?

Crying%20trash
joined Feb 8, 2018

My guess is that Touka's dying. The reason she was acting so weird early on was because she didn't want anyone to miss her when she was gone.

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Rikako is best girl

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

My guess is that Touka's dying. The reason she was acting so weird early on was because she didn't want anyone to miss her when she was gone.

No, there was a definite sense of unfamiliarity on Touka's part.

I'm all but certain either she was injured and got amnesia, or she had a disassociative episode and has a new personality, or Touka died and this is her twin sister, who feels bad for Chitose. Those are the best fit to her behavior so far. (she was unfamiliar and distant when they "reunited" because she literally didn't know who Chitose was, but once she realized they were close, she started trying to reach out to her and mend the relationship)

The title "Pages in Search of a Bookmark" kind of hints towards a loss of memory, though. Like she's lost her place and doesn't know exactly where to pick up. It makes less sense if this Touka is literally a different person, but it could still indicate an uncertainty with regards to "what page" they're on in their relationship.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

There's no way this is anything but a twin filling in for her deceased sister.

The twin isn't actively pretending to be the sister, but this girl just showed up and she didn't know how else to handle it with everyone around. Then while she's perhaps trying to move forward, this girl goes and proclaims she loves her and that sets her off, like "If you really loved her you wouldn't mistake someone else for her."

She probably has a diary or something her sister left behind showing how much this girl means to her (or perhaps she just already knows and was just jealous in the moment) which makes her backpedal a bit at the brutal way she reacted to her. She kind of became a conduit for her sister still being alive, or some craziness.

I want to think this is a chance for the childhood friend to still get somewhere but in all likelihood this twin is going to fall for her and after some shaky "I'm not who you think I am", it's going to become mutual.

My only hope is the childhood friend doesn't end up alone :\

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 10:25PM

Img_1096
joined Sep 29, 2018

NO. ;-; #teamRikako

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I wonder what Rikako (I had honestly forgotten her name, thank you commenters lol) found out about Touka.

In fact, I had completely forgotten about this series, so it was kind of a surprise when I recognized the name.

last edited at Oct 13, 2018 1:57AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

So down for whatever the twist is, and let's go full crazy and have senpai get with the childhood friend because I like to get messed up on a love triangle

To reply you must either login or sign up.