Forum › Yuri Is My Job! discussion

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm reminded of reality television, in which a group of people with unappealing personalities are brought together under a silly context and you just watch layers upon layers of petty conflict bubble up between them.

Except this show happens to be permeated with lesbian subtext so I'm in.

last edited at Jul 17, 2017 3:57PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Now that's reality TV I'd watch.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Ewh why are all the chracters so disgusting?! I'm surprised I got through all of the chapter...

Sometimes I wonder if people are used to read things with only hyper-idealized characters.
The girls here aren't even that bad. These are all normal personalities in comedies.

joined Dec 4, 2016

Cliche character typical of manga, but I found I'll never get bored of delinquent or girl with bad temper characters it remind me of delinquent on watamote.

last edited at Jul 19, 2017 6:51PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Wow, some of those spoilers sure... seem interesting... well, whatever, I am here for their personalities. Great bunch of characters. I still hope the bad-tempered onee-sama is rich as hell.

People on this site bitch about absolutely everything that's published, lmao. I'm doing it for the people who actually enjoy stuff. x)

It would not be a true Kouyuri release without these reactions, now would it.
Thank you for your work!

joined Jan 4, 2014

TL note: the title translates to "My Yuri is Work! Sisters in Love!". I left it in Japanese and German, 'cause it sounds derpy in English.

Hope y'all will like it!

Sounds akward in German too. ^^ "sisters in love" would be "Verliebte Schwestern"

I failed to notice until you pointed it out.

Somehow I think it was supposed to be "Schwestern in der Liebe" (or "Schwestern der Liebe" as a shorter form), so basically interpreting "Sisters in Love" not as literal sisters in love with each other, but as two independent girls feeling similar to sisters due to their experiences with love (i.e. they are like sisters when it comes to their experiences on the topic of love; similar to "brothers in arms" not usually referring to two siblings walking down the street with linked arms...).

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Like brothers in arms, only with sisters and love instead of war. How poetic. But I fear few people will make the association.

joined Mar 15, 2017

The cafe has a system where girls become "Schwestern". Essentially it's like MariMite's soeur system.

And the cafe is called Liebe.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

that shop manager need to get punched in the face!
damn it all!!

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

@Wtv
People on this site bitch about absolutely everything that's published, lmao. I'm doing it for the people who actually enjoy stuff. x)

You're a cool person.

This looks like an interesting start! Loved the one shots by the author, can't wait how their style work for a series!

last edited at Dec 11, 2017 3:33PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

This looks like an interesting start! Loved the one shots by the author, can't wait how their style work for a series!

Yeah, but unfortunately this hasn't been updated in almost a full year

Noface
joined Jun 23, 2016

This manga will be getting a release in Germany in October by Tokyopop under the title "Cafe Liebe"

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'd expect a manga about people who love coffee (and perhaps cake) with that title ...

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Is it bad that I'm kind of liking this so far? I mean, we're only one chapter in so it could go in dumb directions or even just stick with the current status quo until it wears out its welcome, but for the time being the premise seems interesting, and the protagonist being kind of an asshole seems good for short-term comedy and long-term character development. All depends on how it's handled, and it could unfortunately easily go sideways, but I see potential here.

last time we got a "yuri-series" MC that wanted to get married to a rich guy while doing yuri things as a facade, she actually ended the series in the same note of wanting a guy, so I have little hope for this one as well.

Well. Since she doesn't care about love from her perspective a rich girl should be fine, too.

But clearly this is going to be about redeeming her, where she learns that love is much more important than money.

Then she marries some poor girl and lives in abject misery the rest of her life before dying early because she can't afford great health care (let's just randomly assume it got privatized in this fictional setting), after years of getting beaten up by her constantly financially stressed waifu, who resorted to alcohol as a form of escapism.

That got real depressing real fast.

joined Apr 18, 2018

There's no more translations or what?

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I'd like to go to that cafe for sure.
Hey guys, we know it is subtext but, do y'all know that subtext has the same letters as sex? It's just a question of time.
Heh.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

There's no more translations or what?

I'm asking myself the same question...
We need translations ASAP!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

I'd like to go to that cafe for sure.
Hey guys, we know it is subtext but, do y'all know that subtext has the same letters as sex? It's just a question of time.
Heh.

Just to point out the series came to a point where it had a kiss. Flashback and not between the main cast, but it's yuri.

last edited at Aug 15, 2018 3:02PM

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

"Girl Friends" is not subtext, it never was subtext, it was not written as a subtext work. Gradually falling in love is not subtext.

That's not really what the word "subtext" means, but if you want to use it that way then there's no reason to think this series is "subtext" until it ends.

Under the real meaning of the word, Girl Friends was subtext until chapter 10.

No, it was not. "A hidden or less obvious meaning", according to Cambridge Dictionary, "the implicit or metaphorical meaning", according to Merriam-Webster. There was nothing 'hidden' or 'metaphorical' in "Girl Friends", the romance was not a 'less obvious' theme. If it was, then pray tell, what was the main theme? Seriously, why these discussions always arise when subtext is in question? Just because the characters are not fully aware of everything, or have not yet developed those feelings (love does not just pop out in a vacuum), does not mean the work is subtext. By that logic, I could say the first 20-odd minutes of "Zulu" are not a war film, because they do not feature anything connected to the actual war, since the people are not yet aware the conflict had begun. People seem to confuse how the characters deal with something (not being aware of their feelings, or only just developing them), and how the work (that is to say, the author) deals with it.

As for the series being subtext or not being decided at the end, that does indeed hold water. In these cases, I just presume, personally, that the scanlators have an insight into future chapters. Not the most reliable presumption, I will grant you.

If Girl Friends ended on chapter 8 you are telling me it wouldn't have wound up with a subtext tag on here?

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

TL note: the title translates to "My Yuri is Work! Sisters in Love!". I left it in Japanese and German, 'cause it sounds derpy in English.

Hope y'all will like it!

Oh hey, are you the translator?

If so, thank you. =)

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I just noticed this is now available on RightStuf and Amazon under the the name "Yuri is My Job!"
The first of at least 3 volumes available in January.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

What the hell.

1523068069413s
joined Jun 2, 2017

Next chapter in 2020?

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I forgot that this even existed until today, but watching Hime leverage her position to manipulate the other girls was great. I could get attached to this character pretty quick if she keeps it up.

To reply you must either login or sign up.