Forum › Posts by jtt

joined Jan 4, 2014

Why is there het it my yuri

I assume because it meets upload rule 2: "You may suggest het if the story is good or the comedy is good."?

I received permission to upload this. I understand it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but hopefully some people here will appreciate it.

Yup. Given the other uploads from Secret Society Blanket am more than happy to give this the benefit of the doubt.

There's been some really good uploads here that happened to be het. While I joined for the yuri, good stories are good stories, and always nice to see those as well.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Hm. Really hoping for a second part now. The cover image does seem to suggest a continuation...

joined Jan 4, 2014

Why the time skip? Because people can't stand all these yuri endings where they're together in high school and you have no idea if they stay together. We've come a long way, fam

Thinking back to some of the older stuff, many of the popular stories ended with a time skip to show that all the angst nevertheless paid off. Even Morinaga Milk's Girl Friends has a bit of that, but the story that really stuck with me was Yohuko Suzuki's Candy (https://dynasty-scans.com/series/candy).

Actually feel this gives a more satisfying happy end, rather than the cliche high school setup. In particular as Japan still very much follows the "you can play date while you're in high school, but as an adult you will marry 'properly'"-formula.

jtt
Ayakashiko discussion 02 Sep 14:24
joined Jan 4, 2014

Honestly like the ending, would even go so far to say it makes sense and is not too badly rushed (well, a bit, but still). Maharo’s mother just returned a few chapters ago, essentially turning her life upside down, and pulling her back into the time before she was “allowed” to see and play with spirits. Her phasing between the worlds was necessary for her to have that permission formally granted again. After that she needed time to adjust to now properly living in both worlds – the world of her grandmother and the world of her mother. Once she realised the joy that existing in both gave her, she finally re-found her ability and reunited with all of her friends.

Then again, I might just be massively overinterpreting it to compensate for the shock of it having ended.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Really don't think this is yuri and it's not even tagged as yuri on comicwalker. Hope that changes, but honestly I doubt anything will go beyond than the hinted secret obsession they had for each other as seiyuus before they met. Aside from that it's a pretty refreshing concept. Strongly reminds me of Oshi ga Budokan which was another great read/ watch.

Heck, Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru is also firmly stuck in subtext territory, but still makes for a great read. Really enjoying the dynamic between our two protagonists here. As many have already said, that fist bump at the end is just so gratifying.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Strikes me as a much more cliché version of Prunus Girl. While I still regularly reread the latter, think once is enough for me on this one.

joined Jan 4, 2014

That colour image on page 3 reminds me so much of some corners of Shinjuku Ni-Chome that I am tempted to believe the author took some pictures there...

joined Jan 4, 2014

Yeah, it's usually the cliche case that a character (Shiina) thinks they're ordinary and not "powerful" when in actuality they have some untouched power hidden within them.

The ending scene is foreshadowing that Shiina had this untapped ability to bring the ~almost dead flower (mimi) back to life. But that's just a theory, a gay theory.

Considering the way the good doctor states: "It's fine. It's fine. My healing magic is irreplaceable" after the spat with the school leadership, followed by her exacerbating the cause of said spat by filling Shiina in completely...

Either the doctor sees her own ability reflected in Shiina, and is grooming her because of that; or, on the slightly darker side, Shiina is being set up to be the next sacrificial lamb to create a new Mimi, or even become the next Mimi herself (we saw that Mimi and she share some odd compatability, as Mimi was able to heal her)...

joined Jan 4, 2014

For those wondering, the title translates to something along the lines of "I can rely/depend on you" but in this case with more of a romantic implication. Tends to be used a bit more seriously

I'd probably go for something like "you are my rock" as the English equivalent. :)

jtt
joined Jan 4, 2014

I kinda find the 4s translation weaker this time. "Please do your best" vs "Break a leg!"... Meh... I can't imagine Yuu saying "Break a leg!"

I don't have the original to compare.

Actually I find "Break a leg!" to be more accurate, irrespective of the original, and think Yuu would probably know to use it:

(idiomatic) Said to someone wishing they perform well in a theatrical production or comparable endeavor.

Go out there and break a leg tonight. Put on a great show!
    I told my friend to break a leg, before she went on stage.
    Synonym: toi, toi, toi (opera)
joined Jan 4, 2014

I really liked it. The characters feel realistic, a snapshot of young people and their struggle with their own identities within the relatively conformist society that is Japan.

God, that school councilor. Begrudgingly on the level until it goes past what he's comfortable with, too close to home.

Agree. Sort of the "we've been told we should be tolerant in such matters, but it has to be done in a way that we can relate to it without having to change our mindset in any way"...

jtt
joined Jan 4, 2014

It reads very much like Prunus Girl, all the way down to the first meeting being framed with Sakura petals. Going to be interesting to see how it differentiates itself (if it does at all).

joined Jan 4, 2014

One can't help but wonder whether we might start getting into a territory where the subtext tag goes away...

(small side note: on p.9 -> "beatened" should just be "beaten")

joined Jan 4, 2014

Btw -- small correction for the translator notes: the names are not in katakana but in kanji.

Nope, their names in the story itself are in katakana. The kanji word in the title reads "shunsetsu" and literally means "spring snow." It's placed there to show the connection between the title and their names' meanings.

Ah. Misread that then. Showing the title with the kanji and stating that both names are in katakana right next to it was a tad confusing. :p

jtt
Still Sick discussion 30 Oct 06:05
joined Jan 4, 2014

Love it. The flower show piece is perfect, as it gives both parties a way to save face if needed: easy enough to debunk if things get real, but also solid enough to serve as an excuse if you're trying to just sweep stuff under the rug.

It's also lovely to see more adult yuri. Between this, Snowfall in Spring, Cute Little Kitten, and Collectors, it's been a great day. :)

joined Jan 4, 2014

Really nice story. :) The supernatural component is obvious, but still subtle enough not to be overbearing.

Btw -- small correction for the translator notes: the names are not in katakana but in kanji.

jtt
joined Jan 4, 2014

This is totally a girl who's confessed to chidori tho, that bag of chocolates which has the NOT FRIEND label on is super girly

The only thing is, I reckon, down the line, this means this girl can pop up at any time in the present if the mangaka wants any DRAMA

It's not just the design. Following Japanese conventions, Valentine's Day is the day when girls hand out chocolates, not guys, thereby eliminating the past / wannabe boyfriend theory...

jtt
Killing Me! discussion 17 Jun 16:50
joined Jan 4, 2014

Not really a fan of tsundere stuff, but this? This I absolutely adore.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Okay, so that ending had me laughing out loud...

joined Jan 4, 2014

this was nice, though idk about anyone else, but the sex part felt a tiny bit out of place

still great tho.

Agree. If it ended with the first panel of page 20 (the kiss), it would still be perfectly fine. The sex scene almost feels like an afterthought along the lines of: "oh darn, forgot this should be R18, better quickly add something". Disturbs the flow more than adding to it in my opinion.

joined Jan 4, 2014

The picture of Kyoto station on page 14 is stunning. Love the view up the long stairs in the first panel, as well as the roof with the chrismas tree in the second.

jtt
Eve and Eve discussion 24 Mar 19:50
joined Jan 4, 2014

Nagashiro Rouge is quickly becoming one of my favourite mangaka. Odd? Yes, but coupled with a beautiful style and interesting stories. Feels a bit like a more realistic and somewhat toned down version of Dowman Sayman sometimes.

joined Jan 4, 2014

Fencing is a sport for refined ladies and gentlemen.

Absolutely lost it at that one...

joined Jan 4, 2014

Sooooo nice. Those two are still one of my all time favourite pairings from Marimite.

Oh. And the credit page almost killed me. Perfect!

jtt
If You Come discussion 11 Mar 06:14
joined Jan 4, 2014

Think this might be incorrectly classified as a work by a new author. There is already an existing entry under: https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/shinoba